2019/06/24 - Twilight Zone Twist

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Buretsu

Re: 2019/06/24 - Twilight Zone Twist

Post by Buretsu »

Don't worry, it's just a computer software manual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQRL
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh I'm sure we all know that but because Diss is the one that calls himself a "sqrl", I at least assume that the book Kari is reading is about Diss. :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

List of Jess's tenants:

Zach (if he is still living there?)
Falstaff
Truck
Ink
Tiny Tum
Cory
Cassia
Cassia's Kids (5)
Kix
Craig
Draig
Kitsune (maybe?)
Steward
Karishad
Trinket
So that's at least 19. So that's means there is roughly 11 animals unaccounted for. If you want a Twilight Zone twist, those 11-ish animals are victims of Steward, in other words humans that he changed with the coin and had no where else to go.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
angelmar741

Post by angelmar741 »

Finally got caught up with this comic after two years of trying!!!

So my question is, what's up with the Custom Ink tag? Is she referenced?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

angelmar741 wrote:Finally got caught up with this comic after two years of trying!!!

She is in the strip, just a bit off-panel (look behind Jessica)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote: So that's at least 19. So that's means there is roughly 11 animals unaccounted for.
Or she MIGHT be, y'know, exaggerating?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Regarding comments of "does this mean Jessica and [insert feral] are close friends", "me and my X closest friends" is a real expression for when you're sharing something with a lot of people. I don't think Jessica is best buds with all thirty. At minimum there are some she probably just tolerates.
dr_eirik wrote:EDIT: Is it me, or is the bracelet/necklace bigger in panel two? Like to remind us that it's there? :D
It might be a little bit bigger proportionably, but Marion is also closer to the camera in panel two so his whole body is bigger.
CunningFox wrote:Why is the book's title on the back?
I suspect it's one of those books that says the title on both covers and the front is at such an angle Rick Griffin didn't draw the title on the front.
Argent wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:Another thought, Jessica is a little hard to read here. She doesn't seem to have a problem with Marion, but isn't exactly delighted to see him. Though if he keeps his tail clean, I doubt she'd throw him out.
Jessica doesn't seem delighted to see anyone, ever. She's got a resting possum face.
Exactly. Not being negative is how she expresses positivity.
fenrirblack wrote:List of Jess's tenants:

Zach (if he is still living there?)
Falstaff
Truck
Ink
Tiny Tum
Cory
Cassia
Cassia's Kids (5)
Kix
Craig
Draig
Kitsune (maybe?)
Steward
Karishad
Trinket
So that's at least 19. So that's means there is roughly 11 animals unaccounted for. If you want a Twilight Zone twist, those 11-ish animals are victims of Steward, in other words humans that he changed with the coin and had no where else to go.
There is at least also Tiny Tum's as of yet unnamed sibling.
SeanWolf wrote:
angelmar741 wrote:Finally got caught up with this comic after two years of trying!!!

She is in the strip, just a bit off-panel (look behind Jessica)
To be more specific, she's on the right edge of the first panel.
The cape comes with the promotion.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Champion Wallace wrote:There is at least also Tiny Tum's as of yet unnamed sibling.
I thought that was Tiny Tum. I notice he isn't tagged, but nothing in the comic itself indicates it isn't him.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

CunningFox wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:There is at least also Tiny Tum's as of yet unnamed sibling.
I thought that was Tiny Tum. I notice he isn't tagged, but nothing in the comic itself indicates it isn't him.
I thought the same until I checked and found this.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: So that's at least 19. So that's means there is roughly 11 animals unaccounted for.
If Kari’s basement is as elaborate as I’m expecting it to be then having 30-ish ferals living there would not be that hard to believe. We already have 21 (Including Jess) living in that treehouse so what’s another 9 or 10.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: If Kari’s basement is as elaborate as I’m expecting it to be then having 30-ish ferals living there would not be that hard to believe. We already have 21 (Including Jess) living in that treehouse so what’s another 9 or 10.
I have the odd feeling that, when we see it, the basement is going to look like the Temple did. Ink will lose her stripes.

The number of freinds I'm sure is a round one. I'm sure she never turns anyone away and there are some that probably don't stay except for short bursts.

And I know that Kari has been staying there since the temple collapse, but didn't he have a room at the Miltons?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

I don't think so, but I could be mistaken... I just finished re-reading the comic (again..., yay, five straight hours!), so my brain's a little fried.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

fenrirblack wrote:
CunningFox wrote:
I thought the same until I checked and found this.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
If Kari’s basement is as elaborate as I’m expecting it to be then having 30-ish ferals living there would not be that hard to believe. We already have 21 (Including Jess) living in that treehouse so what’s another 9 or 10.
GOOD CATCH on "Tim's Older Brother (?)", fen! And it's nice to be reminded, whatever her eccentricities, what a sweetheart Custom Ink is... :)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Anyone know where the name Custom Ink comes from? I had thought it was just Ink until recently and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Yeah, I'm curious too. It makes her sound like she was maybe initially born and raised near a tattoo parlor. Or a shop that does all kinds of printing; maybe that's where she got all those fliers?
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote:Yeah, I'm curious too. It makes her sound like she was maybe initially born and raised near a tattoo parlor. Or a shop that does all kinds of printing; maybe that's where she got all those fliers?

I had assumed it was a story like Truck, who got his name from an unfortunate incident with a truck. I thought part of her backstory involved something like that. Still could, but Custom Ink does sound like a tattoo parlor was involved.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would imagine that despite how small and nondescript it looks on the outside, on the inside it is like a TARDIS and can fit the whole woodland. 8-)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ash Greytree wrote:Yeah, I'm curious too. It makes her sound like she was maybe initially born and raised near a tattoo parlor. Or a shop that does all kinds of printing; maybe that's where she got all those fliers?
There is an online retail company named Custom Ink which prints shirts, other clothing items, and designs on request. Not sure how much light that sheds on how Tim's mom got her name, though... :?:
Champion Wallace

CunningFox wrote:
An individual raccoon's marking's aren't 100% consistent through the style changes of the comic, but last we saw Tiny Tum tagged in Where The Love-Light Gleams, he had brown fur between his eyes. The raccoon in Real Stories of the K9PD had white and gray between their eyes, like the raccoon that was chasing Tiny Tum in Where The Love-Light Gleams.
dr_eirik wrote:And I know that Kari has been staying there since the mansion collapse, but didn't he have a room at the Miltons?
Probably, but I think he likes the environment there better than the mansion.
NHWestoN wrote:GOOD CATCH on "Tim's Older Brother (?)", fen! And it's nice to be reminded, whatever her eccentricities, what a sweetheart Custom Ink is...
What do you mean "good catch fen"? I was the one who pointed out Custom Ink had multiple children.
dr_eirik wrote:Anyone know where the name Custom Ink comes from? I had thought it was just Ink until recently and I feel like I'm missing something obvious.
For all intents and purposes right now, the name originates from the tags. There might be a story behind it like with Truck, but as of now we haven't heard it.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:GOOD CATCH on "Tim's Older Brother (?)", fen! And it's nice to be reminded, whatever her eccentricities, what a sweetheart Custom Ink is...
What do you mean "good catch fen"? I was the one who pointed out Custom Ink had multiple children.
Okay, you get a gold star. ;)
Attachments
BE807BD2-FC79-48AA-A991-A0DBE93E6396.jpeg
BE807BD2-FC79-48AA-A991-A0DBE93E6396.jpeg (227.71 KiB) Viewed 9075 times
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

… and I gets noodles. ;) Yay!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

why is karishad reading a book about server login protocols?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We still haven't had it confirmed WHAT the book Kari was reading was about. I still say its about him trying to serve our own sqrl overload. :lol:
Champion Wallace

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
Okay, you get a gold star. ;)Image
This is just the no-Binos-club all over again.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

" Are there stars out tonight?
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright,
'cause I only have eyes for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu,
Dear."

AH, the classics......! ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm a bit concerned about how this thread is going off the rails. XD
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I’ve always said that you oppose Diss at your own peril, if Kari is serving him there is even more reason to be careful. Well, at least Marion got some pie out of the “heist”. I don’t believe that Ink would do anything villainous, of her own volition, it wouldn’t be in character for her. Someone could use her devotion to the Opener, though.
Last edited by trekkie on Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is what I am thinking in this case also. Someone *coughcoughcoughSte-Badgercoughcoughcough* might be or soon could be using her to further whatever scheme he has going.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:That is what I am thinking in this case also. Someone *coughcoughcoughSte-Badgercoughcoughcough* might be or soon could be using her to further whatever scheme he has going.
Since Badger's primary motive is returning to human status, he and Marion should be natural allies. Of course, Craig and Draig might also assume that they could short-circuit Kitsune's punishment and regain their Celestial forms (and powers) by whatever spell restores our favorite squirrel. Nation's perils are about to enter a new phase.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We don't know what his primary motive is. For all we know at this point, Ste-Badger could be behind everything for his own reasons and could easily trick a fanatic who believes in "The Opener of Ways" into doing his bidding by telling them that his plan will help spread the word.