Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Ash Greytree

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Ash Greytree »

What I want most out of Sword & Shield is a good PvE endgame. Something like Battle Frontier. Online play is a subscription now, and there are going to be tons of people who don’t have the subscription that’re gonna want something fun after beating the Elite Four. Multiple different kinds of single-player battle activities with different gimmicks is a must.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

In addition to a cordoned-off battle area like that, I just want there to be actual adventure content all the way up to level 100. You should be able to level past 60-70 by actually playing the game. You shouldn't need to grind like that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would like that and I would also be interested if they did previous generations like Kanto and Johto again but there were different towns and cities to go to rather than the same ones and different gym leaders. In the anime right when Ash and Gary got to Giovanni but before Giovanni had Mewtwo curbstomp Gary, Gary was gloating that he had 10 badges. No which were the same as Ash's. So that made me wonder if there were different gym leaders in all of the regions.

Oh, plus there was an episode involving character of the week AJ and his Sandshrew who ran an unofficial gym. Not to mention the Orange Islands which I guess doesn't get much love because people didn't like Tracy replacing Brock. And all of the towns that the anime had that the game didn't.

I never got past Johto since my cable provider took the WB off of our channel list and replaced it with HSN (something I still haven't forgiven them for. :roll: ) because shock horror, our Rhode Island cable provider didn't want us to have any BOSTON channels (the WB over here was Boston-affiliated).
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I JUST WATCHED THE DIRECT. I LOVE MY NEW WEAPON DOGS SO MUCH!!!!!!
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not really a fan of modern legendaries but Sworddog is pretty neat at least. Shielddog represents everything I don't like about modern legendaries though. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Seeing the Dynamax system makes me wish we did just go with the Armor, digimon or not.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

That reminds me that I've had this idea sitting around in my head for ages about a Steel-Type Eeveelution with a bladed tail and some kind of knight armor motif, either fur patterns resembling armor, metal plates on its shoulders and back, or (as a cuteness option) an Eevee-sized chestplate and a knight's helmet. Going for maximum cuteness with the last one, in its idle battle animation the visor of the helmet sometimes falls over its eyes, so it has to put it back up by flipping its head upward quickly.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Xbox's E3 conference had some cool stuff in it. Really loved RPG Time - The Legend Of Wright and Spiritfarer. The biggest bombshell was probably PSO2 coming to the West (but sadly not Europe) after all these years. I'm also excited for Halo Infinite.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I NEED DOT HACK RIGHT NOW! As in I really want a copy of .hack//infection, and if you geeks don't have any idea what it is, .hack is one of the greatest video game/anime series of all time! (In my opinion)
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Doom Eternal
November 2019
That is all :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo look bloody brilliant. 70s Grindhouse action combined with a sci-fi twist and Arkane doing the gameplay has my interest piqued with Deathloop. Tango Gameworks proved themselves with The Evil Within 2 being a massive step up from the lackluster first game, and I’m definitely excited for a brand new IP from them.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Everyone talking about all the new stuff announced during E3, isn't there a single other person who wants to talk about the classics? (Note: I'm probably only saying this because 1: I haven't seen any of E3 yet and 2: I have seriously been getting into .hack recently)
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

SeanWolf wrote:Doom Eternal
November 2019
That is all :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
about time we got an ETA on Doom II's remake. given what they did with the first one, and the shenanigans surrounding the first teaser ages go, looking forward to it. also kinda hoping final doom and doom 64 get the same treatment as I & II down the line, because while i am well aware Doom 3 retconned them out in it's botched compressed retelling of the series, i liked those two.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

BREATH OF THE WILD TWO LOOKS AWESOME AND TERRIFYING AND I LOVE IT.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

No More Heroes III, Astral Chain, Daemon X Machina, a new Panzer Dragoon, and Banjo in Smash. That was an amazing Direct.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wait. Hang on a sec? Banjo is in Smash now? Oh my God I loved that series so much when I was younger! I thought that it really was a great series! I was afraid that he would be gone forever! This is a dream come true!

Hang on. Is he gonna be N64 Banjo or *shudder* XBox 360 Banjo?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Hang on. Is he gonna be N64 Banjo or *shudder* XBox 360 Banjo?
looks closest to their Banjo-Tooie box art appearance to me. also thr character designs in the xbox game weren't that bad, the problem was the genre breaking core mechanic.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’m also looking forward to Alien: Isolation coming to Switch. It’ll finally give me an excuse to finish the game if it’s on a portable.

furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

One problem with the Nintendo E3 Direct: They didn't announce an Earthbound trilogy.
Now for me to go yell at Bandai Namco to make an HD remaster of the original .hack
By the way, how come Bandai Namco isn't part of E3 while Google is?
Rp characters
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh thank GOD they are back to their old designs. Sorry, I didn't like their new designs at all as they for me just didn't seem right and I prefer them in the N64 style and hope that they go back there.

Of course, the only way to do that would be if Nintendo paid Microsoft to take the property back. Which could be possible since it has pretty much been said that Nuts and Bolts was a Franchise Killer and there probably won't be any more BK games made. This was something I have NEVER expected.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Bloodstained: Ritual Of The Night releases later tonight on most platforms and the 25th for the Switch. I'm very excited. Aria Of Sorrow on the GBA and the Castlevania games on the DS are some of my favorite games I've ever played (although the art style change in Dawn Of Sorrow and the story of that game itself were rather blah), and I'm glad to see Koji Igarashi's latest game after its years of development.

Speaking of Kickstarter games, there's one that looks amazing whose KS campaign is going on right now. Small Saga is an RPG starring Verm, a rodent looking to get his tail back from the Gods who stole it. On the way he gathers a party of rodents of different species, each of whom seem to have their own story and goals. It's gotten nearly halfway to its goal and has just over two weeks to go before its KS campaign ends, and could really use some sharing around.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Buster wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Hang on. Is he gonna be N64 Banjo or *shudder* XBox 360 Banjo?
looks closest to their Banjo-Tooie box art appearance to me. also thr character designs in the xbox game weren't that bad, the problem was the genre breaking core mechanic.
It's a shame that game deprived fans of a "proper" Banjo-Kazooie game, because the game we did get was really good.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well its been 19 years since Tooie, and as I said before, Nuts and Bolts was labeled a "Franchise Killer" so not sure any new BK games will ever be made. Most likely, Microsoft will leave Rare to rot while refusing to sell it back to Nintendo.

I now just realized that BK may have gotten me just a tad more into the whole slapstick thing also. :|
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

even if MS did sell Rare back to Nintendo it might not do any good. the design team that worked on the BK games split off and formed Playtonic years ago, and even they are rusty as heck from doing nothing but kinect garbage for a decade, rare have nothing but a name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Then it looks like BK is truly in the past now. I'm sad.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, playtonic did try to revive the Collectathon platformer by way of BK's spiritual successor Yuka-Laylee, but due to the aforementioned being rusty due to MS assigning Rare so many Kinect projects, it lacks polish in a lot of areas.

good game, very true to the "giant scavenger hunt for its own sake, with an excuse-plot" design the best collectathons had. it just... it could have been a lot better.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Buster wrote:well, playtonic did try to revive the Collectathon platformer by way of BK's spiritual successor Yuka-Laylee, but due to the aforementioned being rusty due to MS assigning Rare so many Kinect projects, it lacks polish in a lot of areas.

good game, very true to the "giant scavenger hunt for its own sake, with an excuse-plot" design the best collectathons had. it just... it could have been a lot better.
And now we get a sort of kinda sequel which is a 2-D platformer which might be better. I liked Yooka-Laylee a lot but there were so many aspects of it that felt either forced or half baked.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

keep in mind, that team made several good games, then got sold to MS and had to get used to working in an entirely different genre while the finale to the BK trilogy was stuck on the back burner, got to finally make said game but were told the ground work they had already laid with their previous titles was worthless and that they had to start over in a new engine with a new, untested, core mechanic, yelled at by their fans for it's inevitable failure, and went back to kinect games for a few more years all the while the team members that would eventually make up Playtonic gradually split off.

pretty much everything wrong with YL can be chalked up to them being too out-of-practice with the genre to be able to polish up the fine details properly, or having picked up bad/lazy habbits while making other titles in other genres. and i can't really blame them for that, they went from being pioneers in the platform genre that watched it evolve from 2d to 3d and reaping all of the benefits of practice and experience that come with that, to not touching the genre for over a decade and buy they time they get back to it it's clear several of them have conflicting ideas of what the genre was because of how much has been forgotten in the interim.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Long story short. To paraphrase Miss Taylor Swift:

"We are never ever ever getting a true sequel to Banjo-Kazooie ever"
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

After 89 hours and 26 minutes of gameplay, I have finally beaten Persona 5. To celebrate, here’s an image of Morgana telling your character to go to bed at gunpoint.

Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Been making my way through Bloodstained. Aside from framerate drops in particular rooms and some jank with the platforming here or there, it is utterly phenomenal and exactly what I wanted from an Metroidvania made by Iga. I just wish I could turn off the cosmetic changes when you equip hats/helmets and accessories.
MiGFulcrum

Post by MiGFulcrum »

I've managed to bring back my old PS2 from my parents' attic and find cables and other accessories for it - quite the task when you moved abroad in a country that has a different regional version of that console - and finally got to play the Ace Combat trilogy again. Man, I was moved to tears like when I was a teenager and played it after school... The graphics are aged, but the gameplay's still going strong, the OST hasn't become any less flawless than it was back then, and the storytelling is still gripping. Now, I just have to get a computer that isn't the electronic equivalent of a steam powered locomotive to play AC7...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which country were you in before and which country are you in now that had you have a hard time getting the necessary accessories for it?
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I'm waiting for the servers to go back online for the online .hack fangame The World R:1 2d
Rp characters
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Long story short. To paraphrase Miss Taylor Swift:

"We are never ever ever getting a true sequel to Banjo-Kazooie ever"
It doesn't help that the genre is kind of played out. It needs new angles to make it work and there's only so much you can innovate. Mario seems to be the only exception, but that's just due to the sheer amount of talent and resources Nintendo has to put behind it. It's hard to compete with the best of the best.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that they could if they wanted to and maybe some people just like the same old, same old. I mean if you look on YouTube, there are a lot of people who make hacks of Super Mario 64 but keep the gameplay the same just with different levels.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Sleet wrote:It doesn't help that the genre is kind of played out. It needs new angles to make it work
that's an outright lie, and devs believing that kind of sentiment, over listening to those of us who wanted more collectathons that were just collectathons, is what killed the genre and spawned a dozen series-ending flops in the first place.
Sleet wrote:Mario seems to be the only exception
mario isn't a true collectathon though, it's a regular platformer. they're not the same thing. yes there is an item collection element in each of his games but, save for mario 64, it's never the core mechanic, it's always in service of something else.

a true collectathon is a scavenger hunt first before anything else. all other mechanics serve that one.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is probably why people making hacks of Super Mario 64 on YouTube have their hacks get popular because for the most part it keeps the spirit of the original game.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Buster wrote:
Sleet wrote:It doesn't help that the genre is kind of played out. It needs new angles to make it work
that's an outright lie, and devs believing that kind of sentiment, over listening to those of us who wanted more collectathons that were just collectathons, is what killed the genre and spawned a dozen series-ending flops in the first place.
Sleet wrote:Mario seems to be the only exception
mario isn't a true collectathon though, it's a regular platformer. they're not the same thing. yes there is an item collection element in each of his games but, save for mario 64, it's never the core mechanic, it's always in service of something else.

a true collectathon is a scavenger hunt first before anything else. all other mechanics serve that one.
Genres move in and out of popularity. The collectathon is niche and while rehashing the same elements may be fun, especially for people who like that kind of thing, it's not marketable. Only a few people would buy them.