2019/06/05 - With Great Power

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/06/05 - With Great Power

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
As to Ricks tweet, I hadn't caught the date but I don't see this as a retread of Joel/Kings experience save for very broad points. King was actively being broken down by Pete. He had his humanity stripped away and, little by little, had his dignity as well. Pete did what he could to essentially torture him.

Without knowing exactly why he was transformed in the first place, Marions experience isn't the same. What's happened has been generally predictable events given his circumstances. No one forced him to pull his backpack onto himself, or climb to a high shelf to get granola. Or to drink an energy drink with 10X the lethal dose of caffeine for his body.
I think Rick has gone out of his way to establish Marion as “Not King” from almost every aspect from his home, age, family, and manner of transformation Even his gender Because he knows how people would react to Marion. But like King people are instantly drawn to him and that causes a lot of friction. I cannot tell you how many knock out fights I’ve gotten into during the last year over King. You have a sympathetic character who is “normal” in an extreme circumstance and that draws people.

But more than that, I believe people see Marion as another exciting arc since King’s story has ended and he has sunk into this routine story and life where he doesn’t go out or do much anymore. He’s been sharing the stage with other characters whether it be the fair with Tiger and Marvin or Peanut and Grape babysitting or the brief moments they were camping. They were there and for the first two examples rotated on center stage but that was it. His role was limited to comic relief with the wolves. Even his “job” hasn't bore fruit yet even though that would be his chance to reestablish himself as the third main character. Now the best we can hope for is that He magically comes to Marion’s aid but he’s not even needed. What is he even going to do other then give Marion directions to Tarot and return to his mundane life?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Agreed, Fen. We had a pretty long build up with both Joel and Pete before transiting into the King story which, until the end, veered between him returning to Joel and his canine alternative, a life with Bailey. King also started integrating in with other characters very quickly - Bino, Sasha, Fox and so on. With Marion, the abruptness has been kinda disorienting for many readers, who are still trying to figure out his backstory. Also, as a character, Marion's been pretty much on stage alone. Even the interval with Ralph and Kevin served only to underscore his current existential loneliness and confusion. So we're all trying to fill in the blanks with varying degrees of creativity and irritation.

… and, since you brought this up as well, yeah, King's become the "Dagwood Bumstead" of Babylon Gardens. Seems his adventuring days have slipped into a sort of bland domesticity where he becomes a secondary figure in stories where others take center stage. I'm still a little puzzled as to why he and the family went on the wolves' picnic since he and Bailey played virtually no role in the confrontation with Gale Puma and, in fact, just disappeared from the narrative entirely after Bailey ambushed the Puma in their family tent. Maybe the diminishment of the character simply represents a shrinking of his role overall, and Rick becoming more interested in building other figures such as Keene and Breel. Maybe a "mature" Papa-King just isn't as interesting for Rick anymore. That's certainly disappointing for King's fans, who are many and sometimes a little giddy, but Rick has let strands run their course before and let them evaporate.

Maybe Marion's adventure will lead him to King and a new variation of the shape-shifting narrative. We're just gonna have to see because, as we know by now, Rick's gonna pace his saga at his speed like all good storytellers.

Who knows? Maybe this time Daisy'll show up, and she and Sasha will save Marion's … um … insert something squirrelly here. :oops: ;) Regards
Last edited by NHWestoN on Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I’m going to make a grand prediction about the upcoming arc. We are NOT going to see Marion right away but instead open up with a similar scene as with Marion but with a new character. And no not Lois. I’m thinking a new new character who was transformed but the twist is that this one is going to be something the opposite of Marion. Like Marion was a squirrel so this new one will be huge and super dangerous like a bear. Then they’ll be a quick intro because we’ve already been through the freak out with Marion so this new character will somehow stumble onto Marion and they’ll be each other’s partners as they figure out what to do to change back. I think it’s a neat dynamic of just repeating the process but go the opposite way. Marion is so down to earth and this one can be crazy and overreact. They’re come from a different background then Marion but not quite like King’s. I can see Marion riding this persons shoulders as they explore the neighborhood.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A big dangerous animal like a bear being crazy and overreacting might be a recipe for disaster.

I think I like it! 8-)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Bruno Re-re-returns!" A veritable summer blockbuster (no, Fox, you're not the hero.)
shadowlucario50

Dark Turns

Post by shadowlucario50 »

fenrirblack wrote:But more than that, I believe people see Marion as another exciting arc since King’s story has ended and he has sunk into this routine story and life where he doesn’t go out or do much anymore. He’s been sharing the stage with other characters whether it be the fair with Tiger and Marvin or Peanut and Grape babysitting or the brief moments they were camping. They were there and for the first two examples rotated on center stage but that was it. His role was limited to comic relief with the wolves. Even his “job” hasn't bore fruit yet even though that would be his chance to reestablish himself as the third main character. Now the best we can hope for is that He magically comes to Marion’s aid but he’s not even needed. What is he even going to do other then give Marion directions to Tarot and return to his mundane life?
King probably couldn't do anything useful while Marion's searching for an answer and would turn him to Tarot or Sabrina. However, if Marion couldn't turn back (or thought he could never turn back to normal), King would definitely be the comforting source to help him through (whether to motivate him to not give up or helping him accept his new squirrel life).
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

Champion Wallace wrote:[\Rick Griffin tweeted that right before the start of the arc we just went through. I considered changing the tense of the quote, but I decided to leave his words as much the same as possible. Oh well. I'm pretty sure he was saying Marion's introduction might feel like King's introduction.
Ah, I thought he tweeted that when the Spot Comic was posted and we went into a Mini-Break.
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
dr_eirik

Re: Dark Turns

Post by dr_eirik »

shadowlucario50 wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:But more than that, I believe people see Marion as another exciting arc since King’s story has ended and he has sunk into this routine story and life where he doesn’t go out or do much anymore. He’s been sharing the stage with other characters whether it be the fair with Tiger and Marvin or Peanut and Grape babysitting or the brief moments they were camping. They were there and for the first two examples rotated on center stage but that was it. His role was limited to comic relief with the wolves. Even his “job” hasn't bore fruit yet even though that would be his chance to reestablish himself as the third main character. Now the best we can hope for is that He magically comes to Marion’s aid but he’s not even needed. What is he even going to do other then give Marion directions to Tarot and return to his mundane life?
King probably couldn't do anything useful while Marion's searching for an answer and would turn him to Tarot or Sabrina. However, if Marion couldn't turn back (or thought he could never turn back to normal), King would definitely be the comforting source to help him through (whether to motivate him to not give up or helping him accept his new squirrel life).
Kings usefulness depends a lot on what's going on, something really none of us know yet. If this turns out to be some offshoot of The Game, even with Pete and Dragon off the field, then King might be useful as some kind of advocate or guide. He at least could be a fuzzy shoulder to cry on. Of course, given his experience it makes sense that he wouldn't want to involve himself in any of this.

I think at some point this is going to come around to Keene. I'm not sure in what fashion, but the ferret has the deepest interest in equality for animals and, even if he doesn't fully believe Marion, it would be up his alley to use this to further his goals. I just doubt that he's actually directly behind this. He might have set this in motion, but not that he knew this specifically would/could happen.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Ash Greytree

Re: Dark Turns

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:I think at some point this is going to come around to Keene. I'm not sure in what fashion, but the ferret has the deepest interest in equality for animals and, even if he doesn't fully believe Marion, it would be up his alley to use this to further his goals.
Yeah, I was thinking a week or so back that if Marion manages to change back into human after whatever ordeal Rick has planned for him, he'd work to get his high school diploma, and then go to college, and seek ways to further equality between humans and animals all his own, or get the idea from Keene. If he has to stay a squirrel, then Keene and the ferrets would be able to use their resources to 1.) Confidentially explain the situation to Marion's family and Lois (if she stays human) so they at least know he's okay and can live with them if need be, 2.) Get him a new identity since he can't be Marion anymore (at least on paper) so he can get a GED, and 3.) Maybe set him up with a scholarship so that he can study law or something and eventually help work for equality for animals as part of his career.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am hoping that he can change back if he wants to though. I mean it would be one thing if his home life was like Joel's but King was given a choice so I think Marion should be also but it seems that he has a very good life. I would want him to at least have a choice.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I am hoping that he can change back if he wants to though. I mean it would be one thing if his home life was like Joel's but King was given a choice so I think Marion should be also but it seems that he has a very good life. I would want him to at least have a choice.
I'm just thinking of all of the options that Marion would have if he'd have to stay a squirrel. Keene, who I feel Marion will indeed meet in the future, has the potential to set Marion up for a happy life with his family and a good future education if the story ends with him stuck as an animal. Especially so if this arc involves Marion and the other pets encountering and overcoming some obstacle or antagonist who presents a problem to Keene's plans.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I am hoping that he can change back if he wants to though. I mean it would be one thing if his home life was like Joel's but King was given a choice so I think Marion should be also but it seems that he has a very good life. I would want him to at least have a choice.
I'm just thinking of all of the options that Marion would have if he'd have to stay a squirrel. Keene, who I feel Marion will indeed meet in the future, has the potential to set Marion up for a happy life with his family and a good future education if the story ends with him stuck as an animal. Especially so if this arc involves Marion and the other pets encountering and overcoming some obstacle or antagonist who presents a problem to Keene's plans.
Yay, plot. Hopefully Keene new attitude will grant Marion some assistance especially if it’s inKeene’s favor.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Sansash wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:Hmmm I wonder what this strip is really about? :P
Game of Thrones. No, wait, Avengers: Endgame. Wait no it's The Last Jedi wait no
Guys it's about the economy.
Ash Greytree wrote:
Just because there's a local eccentric milti-billionaire doesn't give tragedy a get-out-of-jail-free card. Unless Marion's future is banking on him stumbling across Keene while he's drunk like Miles did, I think it's going to be challenging for Marion to walk away from an interaction with the Miltons with everything he wants.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:and they’ll be each other’s partners
You could have literally dozens of Odd Couple gags and story arcs. Especially since Marion seems to be kind of a neat freak (for a teenager).
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't say that he is that much of a neat freak given that he has his jeans thrown on the bed while he is sleeping. XD