2019/05/31 - Nuts To You

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/05/31 - Nuts To You

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/05/31 - Nuts To You]
Title Text: not quite the scene from The Sword In The Stone

Rejected by everybody. Today kinda sucks, doesn't it, Marion?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
IceKitsune

Re: 2019/05/31 - Nuts To You

Post by IceKitsune »

Just more bad luck today. Also what in the world would squirrels have to even Narc on to the cops? They steal a bunch of nuts or something?
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

not quite the scene from The Sword In The Stone
I get the reference.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

The name of the comic strip was the name of a previous one.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

And...they’re gone.

Desperation is not a good look on him. Neither is getting clobbered with a nut.

Was that squirrel there the entire time?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Aww, poor Marion. Wouldn't it be nutty if he winds up becoming pals with Bino? I'm sure the two of them can realte to getting rejected by the folks of Babylon Gardens...
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

IceKitsune wrote:Just more bad luck today. Also what in the world would squirrels have to even Narc on to the cops? They steal a bunch of nuts or something?
Getting picked up for relocation by animal control is a lot worse if you have squirrel-sized legs.
Hawkfang42 wrote:The name of the comic strip was the name of a previous one.
Oh, please. There are several strip names that have been used three times each. With 1740 strips you're bound to get some repeats.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

OK, not the reaction he wanted
from someone who looks almost like him;
Just a bit of a different shade here;
a nut to the nut is really quite grim.
Squirrels just don’t talk to the Dogs, it seems;
Marion just doesn’t understand the rules.
They’re the enemies that chase us away,
any other thoughts you had are for fools.
Here, play catch with a fresh Acorn, girl,
I’ll send it your way, straight at your pin head.
Maybe I’ll let you talk when I’ve calmed down
but don’t think on my tree being your bed.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

What a Terrible Horrible No Good Very Bad day
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The misunderstandings just multiply, don't they, darlin'? ...and acorns hurt!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Champion Wallace wrote:Image
Thanks for that, i was about to start the whole discussion on it again
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Dang. Just really ain't his day, is it? End Of Year 11 is either going to show a ludicrous turnaround in fortune for Marion, or this current arc is going to end on something bittersweet. My guess is on the latter, with my "He finds a safe spot to live for the time being, but has no answers or support" theory. Either of those two things alongside it being revealed why he got transformed at the end of the strip.

For a turnaround of fortune, I could see him getting knocked out the tree being his breaking point. He snaps and starts ranting and yelling about how he had everything taken away from him as he walks down the sidewalk. He bumps into a pet who's face is off panel, and the next shot is Fox/King/Tarot/Sabrina, staring at him wide-eyed, having heard everything he said:

Marion: "What did I do to deserve this?!? First I get transformed into a squirrel - a female squirrel at that - then I get crushed by heavy objects multiple times, almost have a heart attack, get kicked out of my house by my own mom, nearly got mauled, and possibly have a concussion from being hit in the face by an acorn and falling out of a tree! I used to be human, dangit! Almost out of high school! My girlfriend and I were going to go off to the same college together, but nOoOo, the universe had to throw me the biggest curveball ever, and now former human Marion Ward is cursed to live the rest of his life as-"
[The squirrel bumps into a pet who'll believe him. He looks up and sees them staring back, and rolls his eyes in an "Of course it had to end like this" fashion.]
M: "You know what? If you could just make it quick and not 'play with your food', that'd be greatly appreciated."
Sabrina/Fox/Tarot/King: "Actually, could you run that part about you being human by me again? Because here's the thing about that..."
[Scene cuts to elsewhere, where we see the reason Marion got transformed.]
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Mctwisp

Post by Mctwisp »

Wait until the squirrel discovers he's a girl :lol:
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

D-Rock wrote:[2019/05/31 - Nuts To You]

Don't you mean the NUT JOB?
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Of course the frightening thing is the other Squirrel could be 'nut'ting him for telling the K-9's about the transformation. Because it's never been confirmed that Marion is the first this has happened to... The K-9's are there on duty, after all. Are they looking for someone ELSE who's missing?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

I still wait for the fat squirrel to arrive.
Merlin is just waiting somewhere, I can tell.
Anyway, there's no sensible explanation for this discomboomeration
Keeshah wrote:
D-Rock wrote:[2019/05/31 - Nuts To You]

Don't you mean the NUT JOB?

oh please, we have class
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Man oh Man, this is just not Marion’s day is it? Here’s hoping that his luck turns around soon.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Argent

Post by Argent »

Mctwisp wrote:Wait until the squirrel discovers he's a girl :lol:
The other squirrel may be a girl.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

trekkie wrote:Man oh Man, this is just not Marion’s day is it? Here’s hoping that his luck turns around soon.
Yeah, Lady Luck seems to be on vacation in his case. Though I did have a random thought: What happens if, in comic, he goes back to bed and wakes up the next day as a different animal?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

And here I am, just trying to figure out why Brown Squirrel has a tear in the eye. Anyone else wondering why?
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

TheOne wrote:And here I am, just trying to figure out why Brown Squirrel has a tear in the eye. Anyone else wondering why?
Um, he doesn't? That's just a half closed eye.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

TheOne wrote:And here I am, just trying to figure out why Brown Squirrel has a tear in the eye. Anyone else wondering why?
I think that is a scaling error.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Ah. I see it now. I had to really zoom in to see it.

The wonders of using a small screen, lol.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

You thought you found a friend
to get you out of this place
Someone you could lend a hand
In return for grace
It's a beautiful daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

I mean, it isn't a beautiful day. But the first thing that popped into my head was a U2 lyric so *shrug*

Let's hope Marion catches a break soon.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

At the rate he's going, we can only hope if he does catch a break, it isn't in a major bone....
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Ash Greytree wrote:Dang. Just really ain't his day, is it? End Of Year 11 is either going to show a ludicrous turnaround in fortune for Marion, or this current arc is going to end on something bittersweet. My guess is on the latter, with my "He finds a safe spot to live for the time being, but has no answers or support" theory. Either of those two things alongside it being revealed why he got transformed at the end of the strip.

For a turnaround of fortune, I could see him getting knocked out the tree being his breaking point. He snaps and starts ranting and yelling about how he had everything taken away from him as he walks down the sidewalk. He bumps into a pet who's face is off panel, and the next shot is Fox/King/Tarot/Sabrina, staring at him wide-eyed, having heard everything he said:

Marion: "What did I do to deserve this?!? First I get transformed into a squirrel - a female squirrel at that - then I get crushed by heavy objects multiple times, almost have a heart attack, get kicked out of my house by my own mom, nearly got mauled, and possibly have a concussion from being hit in the face by an acorn and falling out of a tree! I used to be human, dangit! Almost out of high school! My girlfriend and I were going to go off to the same college together, but nOoOo, the universe had to throw me the biggest curveball ever, and now former human Marion Ward is cursed to live the rest of his life as-"
[The squirrel bumps into a pet who'll believe him. He looks up and sees them staring back, and rolls his eyes in an "Of course it had to end like this" fashion.]
M: "You know what? If you could just make it quick and not 'play with your food', that'd be greatly appreciated."
Sabrina/Fox/Tarot/King: "Actually, could you run that part about you being human by me again? Because here's the thing about that..."
It’s very weird that I agree, falling out of that tree is the best chance Marion has. I feel there’s another chance at him getting some mild good luck (Rick please let him have some good fortune soon, he’s due for it after this arc you put him through) if he meets with his girlfriend, doubly so if she’s the owner of someone like mungo, as he’s not directly related to the magic stuff, but he does know more than Ralph and Kevin. At this point it just be nice if he has a safe place to cry
Argent

Post by Argent »

Luckily squirrels have a really low terminal velocity.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

So, Ralph and Kevin dont really answer the question and then just walk away without a word? Not even the natural follow up of "why do you ask?" I thought Ralph was a better cop than that.

Oh, and I think that I discovered how Marion transformed. The answer is at this link...

https://www.instagram.com/p/BsT4fUkHxlC ... hare_sheet
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:Dang. Just really ain't his day, is it? End Of Year 11 is either going to show a ludicrous turnaround in fortune for Marion, or this current arc is going to end on something bittersweet. My guess is on the latter, with my "He finds a safe spot to live for the time being, but has no answers or support" theory. Either of those two things alongside it being revealed why he got transformed at the end of the strip.

I’m hoping we see kinda a shadow of someone for dramatic effect. We don’t know who it is or if they’ll be friend or foe. Adds to the tension. At this point I’m not holding my breath we’re going to find out the cause anytime soon. Rick seems to be trying to make Marion and his story as vastly different from King's as possible so by that logic we won’t find out the cause until the end of the arc (when I say arc I mean part 2).
Gameb18oy wrote:It’s very weird that I agree, falling out of that tree is the best chance Marion has. I feel there’s another chance at him getting some mild good luck (Rick please let him have some good fortune soon, he’s due for it after this arc you put him through) if he meets with his girlfriend, doubly so if she’s the owner of someone like mungo, as he’s not directly related to the magic stuff, but he does know more than Ralph and Kevin. At this point it just be nice if he has a safe place to cry
I feel like Lois doesn’t get a lot of mention. She’s his girlfriend and clearly has a role to play. This is going to be hard for her if she does eventually come into the story. Your boyfriend is a small animal and female, how do you even respond to that? What do you do with him? It’s a true testament of their relationship.
On another note, it would be awesome if Marion’s pet partner is Lois’s pet so that at least gives Marion more reason to find her.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Lois hasn't really had a chance to come into the story just yet. In real time only a few hours have passed, shes likely still in school and still thinks this is a prank.

I have a feeling that Marion is going to be a long term character. Seems like too much set up for for him to turn back at the end of the next arc. I still have doubts that this is related to Steward or the coin, though his involvement seems likely at some point.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Him meeting up with Lois in the next strip (and him convincing her that it’s him) would be good. I could imagine a couple neat jokes coming from that.

[Marion sitting on her porch, waiting for Lois to get home. She walks up.]
Lois: “Oh, well if it isn’t ‘Marion’. Did he really send you over here all for a prank? Is he bribing you with some really good almonds or something?”
Marion: “You know, Lois, I’ve had a really terrible day, so: [embarrassing and funny PG-rated secret that only they both know and swore to never tell anyone].”
Lois: “MARION?!?”

And then in the next arc after this one:

[Marion is looking at a laptop screen, with an “I can’t believe this” look on his face. Lois walks in.]
Lois: “What’s wrong? Couldn’t come up with any leads again?”
Marion: “No, not this time. It’s just that, when I knew I was going to be taking exams this week-“
[Next panel shifts to show the laptop screen, with info about the General Obedience Exam on it.]
“This isn’t what I had in mind.”
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Anyone else concerned by the word NARC from a Squirrel who, more than likely, heard the story Marion was trying to tell the Cops?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Anyone else concerned by the word NARC from a Squirrel who, more than likely, heard the story Marion was trying to tell the Cops?
I think ferals may just have a general distrust for the K-9’s, and call any feral that talks to or seeks help from them a NARC.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

That's so nice of you, K9 officers, leave alone a citizen who's trying to demand for help... :roll: Oh, that tree has already an inhabitant. :P Poor Marion, thrown out even from his new fellows... :| What else can go in the wrong way? :?
shadowlucario50

Praise the Opener of Ways!

Post by shadowlucario50 »

That's... not what I expected next strip. There goes the theory of Marion being accepted by the forest animals since word spreads quickly. Unless this squirrel tell him to look towards the wisdom of the Opener of Ways, in which case he'll probably meet Jessica and Zach. And that would be... highly interesting, for sure.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Ash Greytree wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Anyone else concerned by the word NARC from a Squirrel who, more than likely, heard the story Marion was trying to tell the Cops?
I think ferals may just have a general distrust for the K-9’s, and call any feral that talks to or seeks help from them a NARC.
Or carnivores in general.
Non_Stinky_Skunk

Post by Non_Stinky_Skunk »

I just realised... Marion is now a FEMALE squirrel! Hope he/she doesn't get any unwanted 'attention'!
Non_Stinky_Skunk

Post by Non_Stinky_Skunk »

I suspect they just hate dogs (understandable for squirrels...), so any squirrel seen talking to a dog is automatically an enemy to all squirrels, and NARC is a well enough known word for them to know it. But I'm hoping that they'll soften up to this poor, deluded squirrel who thinks she's a male human, and try to take care of her... possibly through the Opener of Ways, as has already been suggested!
NHWestoN

Re: Praise the Opener of Ways!

Post by NHWestoN »

shadowlucario50 wrote:That's... not what I expected next strip. There goes the theory of Marion being accepted by the forest animals since word spreads quickly. Unless this squirrel tell him to look towards the wisdom of the Opener of Ways, in which case he'll probably meet Jessica and Zach. And that would be... highly interesting, for sure.
……… which means Marion will soon meet Craig, Draig, and Badger and, when they hear his transformation experience, will be verrrrrrrrrrrry, verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry interested. :!:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Aww look how hospitable they're being, offering free nuts.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!