2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree]
Title Text: we're sticking to iron clad facts, like GHOSTS and TELEPORTATION MAGIC(K)

Eh, it was a long shot, anyway.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by fenrirblack »

Dang it, I was sort-of close. I wasn't expecting Marion to be so calm and elegant about the situation. I'm just not funny enough to think in terms of comedy.

That does prove my point that not everyone knows about King.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed May 29, 2019 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Xane wrote:Yeah all he would know about is transforming into a hunky husky.

Xane won.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

He's friends with a psychic cat. Go ask her.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I'm surprised Ralph was so open about his dealings with the supernatural. I'm sure Marion would be permissive of any second opinion on transformation (unless he thought they were talking about an actual fox). I like how Marion phrased his question.
Saturn381 wrote:He's friends with a psychic cat. Go ask her.
I don't think "friends" in the right word to describe Fox and Sabrina.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I have a feeling either the K-9s will be of great help here, or none at all. It could either go satisfyingly right, or frustratingly wrong.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

You know it is sad that everything that has happened in their lives and they know about NONE of it. We know it will be from Fox but... Probably in the locker room while they chat about the crazy female squirrel that kept talking about being a male human till he went to sleep.
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Wikirojo

Post by Wikirojo »

Hahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now, I'm looking forward to seeing Fox and King meeting Marion :D
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Saturn381 wrote:He's friends with a psychic cat. Go ask her.
They don't know she's psychic. Or, more accurately, magic.

At least they’re being serious,
even without a clue.
Rick plays with the answer
would Fox know what to do?
His friend is a cursed one
but they don’t know of that;
nor do they know a Witch.
(A.K.A. Fido’s black Cat)
Secrets kept from them all,
answers blocked from the light;
It will be quite a ride.
Run, boy, you’ll be all right.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

fenrirblack wrote:That does prove my point that not everyone knows about King.
I'd be genuinely shocked if so many people knew. We just have the film crew, really, and I imagine that without video evidence, they're not going to be blabbing about it. Plus, Joel is still a wanted criminal.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I wonder where Marion will go from here. From his perspective he's completely out of leads. At this point, even if King, or someone familiar with King, were to run into Marion incidentally, Marion wouldn't know that those are the people he has to tell about his condition, and he's too reasonable to be shouting "I'm a human!" to just anyone and everyone. Seems like Lois is his only real option at the moment.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Points for Marion for staying so calm through this. I mean for a teenager he is very mature for his age. Hate to say it but points to Kevin and Ralph too for at least stopping to think about Marion's question and bringing up the jaguar ghost. I mean they're no help but it's still a better reaction then it could have gone. At least they didn't just walk away.
But at the same time at no point did they think about Fido whose girlfriend is a literal witch. I mean I doubt Fido is that open about his personal life but I figured after the Jata incident he would be sort of open about his relationship.

The sheer irony of this situation is crushing me on the inside. This is one of those scenes where you want to knock them upsides the heads and then face palm yourself.
Champion Wallace

Even if they did come to King asking about everything he knows about humans transforming into animals, I wouldn't expect anything less than this reaction.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:Even if they did come to King asking about everything he knows about humans transforming into animals, I wouldn't expect anything less than this reaction.
Immediately followed by something like this
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Looks like they aren't going to be any help. And his experience here is going to likely make him afraid of asking any of the other pets. Unless he happens to run across Sabrina, he might be willing to ask a cat rather than a dog. Though if he doesn't then he will likely go ask wild animals which could lead him to Zach and Zach would know to ask Tarot or Sabrina or at least Peanut and Grape. That is assuming he doesn't run in to Steward first.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Noooo, he’s so close to getting the help he needs yet also so far away! Please don’t tell me that this is where the K-9’s involvement ends...

The way this is going has given me a bad feeling about the next couple of strips (or the next one, if End Of Year 11 happens this Friday rather than Monday). Just can’t shake the thought that this arc is going to end with him giving up and consigning himself to life as a female squirrel, either as a pet of Lois’ (who he may or may not tell the truth to; my bet is that if this happens he lies and says that Marion sent him over to her house rather than trying to explain the situation and shaking things up again), trying to make it on his own, or winding up with the Opener cult and Steward who’d lie to him and string him along as a lackey with false hopes of getting changed back eventually.

Any which way this goes, I can’t help but see Marion being stuck this way and stuck with zero leads or real assistance for a long, long time.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote: Any which way this goes, I can’t help but see Marion being stuck this way and stuck with zero leads or real assistance for a long, long time.
Hopefully it won’t come to that. So the K-9’s were a bust. Considering it was Kevin and Ralph, I’m not surprised but there is hope. I was looking at kings wedding strip and there is an entire pew of unused characters. I’ve noticed it before but now it’s really clicked. Mungo was one of them. So that tells me that there is a chance that one of those unused character sprites could make their debut in Year 12 as Marion’s partner and assist him. All they would need to do is canvas the area like Marion wanted and hope someone more helpful then those two points them into the right direction. Although at this point I wouldn’t be surprised if they walked right past King and go “What about him?” “Naw, he’s kinda a weirdo.”

It could be fun to have a montage of Marion and ? interviewing pets not unlike King's attempts at finding a babysitter. I can imagine Joey's reaction and him mentioning D&D. And Marion going "NO, not D&D. Real magic."
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed May 29, 2019 1:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Yeah, Fox would probably spew something out of one of those books he's always reading, what a nerd!
Champion Wallace wrote:I'm surprised Ralph was so open about his dealings with the supernatural.
He had to file a report about it. That makes it official.
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:Even if they did come to King asking about everything he knows about humans transforming into animals, I wouldn't expect anything less than this reaction.
Immediately followed by something like this
I dont know. King is in a better place and all he'd be able to do directly with Marion is commiserate. For any actual help, the only choices I could see King making is Tarot or Kitsune, and he can just point a paw in a general direction for that.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

This will lead to Fox which will lead to King which will lead to yes 8-)
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Let's be honest, if Marion does get a proper lead on King, their meeting will probably look something like this.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:I dont know. King is in a better place and all he'd be able to do directly with Marion is commiserate.
Better place? ;)
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Ah, good ol' dramatic irony :lol:
Champion Wallace

Ash Greytree wrote:The way this is going has given me a bad feeling about the next couple of strips (or the next one, if End Of Year 11 happens this Friday rather than Monday). Just can’t shake the thought that this arc is going to end with him giving up and consigning himself to life as a female squirrel, either as a pet of Lois’ (who he may or may not tell the truth to; my bet is that if this happens he lies and says that Marion sent him over to her house rather than trying to explain the situation and shaking things up again), trying to make it on his own, or winding up with the Opener cult and Steward who’d lie to him and string him along as a lackey with false hopes of getting changed back eventually.
Lois is on the short list of people Marion's tried explaining to already so that would be more complicated. To get any owner he would just have to pass the GOE and sell himself to his local pet store, but with Lois he would have to explain something. He would either have to explain why her friend is a squirrel on her doorstep, or come up with a lie to explain why she was texted the photo of said squirrel on her doorstep.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, at least we've got a civil conversation going - it's a start!
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Well, the fact that Fox looks like Brock Lesnar now, for one.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Dramatic irony.
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

So close yet so far- today's comic had me want to tear my hair out. Bravo.
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I wonder why Kevin didn't mention Fido as isn't he friends with Sabrina (who is familiar with transformations)?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Knowing Kevin, he would tell Sasha, who would tell King, who would dismiss it as Sasha as being weird.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So close and yet so far. Really hope Marion gets a happy ending out of this.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

This has to go somewhere. It must! I can't stand another failure, not when Marion is so close :cry:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

leinglo wrote:Let's be honest, if Marion does get a proper lead on King, their meeting will probably look something like this.
If Rick doesn’t cut a character that’s being presented as smart and level headed in the situation he’s in as Marion is a break soon + doesn’t reference that strip in some capacity, I’m gonna be a little miffed. Kinda odd that Marion took the initiative on asking regardless... I don’t know if he’s confident he can jump from tree branches to other trees, so while I hope their interaction won’t end too quickly, I won’t be surprised if he asks the more reasonable Ralph to drag Kevin offscreen as far away from the tree so he can get down. It actually be a good thing if he starts to have a freak out up in the tree and spills the beans on being a human that way, I can’t really see him just saying it when he’s calm... well as calm as one can be when Kevin makes you... exercise to put it in kinder terms
Argent

Post by Argent »

Come on, guys, bring your CSI guy into it. It's Terrance time!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

SeanWolf wrote:I wonder why Kevin didn't mention Fido as isn't he friends with Sabrina (who is familiar with transformations)?
Because, AFAIK, Kevin doesn't know Sabrina is familiar (or, even, A familiar :D ) with transformations so why mention Fido?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Fido would be an option because they know he's got that mouse sidekick, and all small chase-able animals are the same thing right?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:Fido would be an option because they know he's got that mouse sidekick, and all small chase-able animals are the same thing right?
Plus, Spo be nice for Marion just so he can see he at least lucked out on being a tall rodent
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

Oh, Rick. You tease.
Not what I was expecting at all. I though the last strip would be the last we saw of the K-9s. Guess we now know they're willing to help out wild animals.
Also, I didn't see the forum for the last strip. Did everyone hate on Ralph and want him to die like last time?
shadowlucario50

You're Right, Dumb (Good) Idea

Post by shadowlucario50 »

With how level-headed Marion is, I feel like he'll take the chance and ask to speak to Fox, or at least speak to other K9 members. He'll also probably try to follow the K9 around for protection if he manages to convince them not to chase him. Unless he doesn't and get chased up more trees, which is another possibility. Maybe see Grape in one of these trees and force Marion to shell nuts for her.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I am having to repress a laugh seeing Ralph and Kevin being so casual about all the magic craziness.
Bad Xane, bad Xane! Someone get me a broom. A big one!
fenrirblack wrote:Dang it, I was sort-of close. I wasn't expecting Marion to be so calm and elegant about the situation. I'm just not funny enough to think in terms of comedy.
Yes, I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be rude, but your dialogue was really missing a punchline. Remember, kids, this is a comic comic!
fenrirblack wrote:It could be fun to have a montage of Marion and ? interviewing pets not unlike King's attempts at finding a babysitter. I can imagine Joey's reaction and him mentioning D&D. And Marion going "NO, not D&D. Real magic."
Yeah! Universe and Unrealities magic! Tooootally different things!

Dumb Joey.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!