2019/05/27 - Tree Bark

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Ash Greytree

Re: 2019/05/27 - Tree Bark

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:Just had another thought: Just how DID he get up the tree so fast? How much is he thinking like a squirrel? Is he in danger of losing himself to the animal he's become?
Since most of the transformations have been magic, they likely come with some built-in instincts and knowledge. I recall someone saying that there was a comic way back where it was stated or at least heavily implied that a lot of the "being a dog" stuff came naturally to King after he got transformed. Marion has all of the stuff he needs to survive as a squirrel built in, but doesn't look to be in danger of losing himself.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ash Greytree wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:Just had another thought: Just how DID he get up the tree so fast? How much is he thinking like a squirrel? Is he in danger of losing himself to the animal he's become?
Since most of the transformations have been magic, they likely come with some built-in instincts and knowledge. I recall someone saying that there was a comic way back where it was stated or at least heavily implied that a lot of the "being a dog" stuff came naturally to King after he got transformed. Marion has all of the stuff he needs to survive as a squirrel built in, but doesn't look to be in danger of losing himself.
He's still thinking like an adolescent human and has yet to fully realize his squirrel super-powers or how to use them. Maybe after he tries cracking walnuts with his teeth, the nature of his transformation will truly dawn on him.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Being in a life or death situation can make you learn to climb REAL fast.
Also, remember Marion did practice while trying to get his fancy-pants non-adult cereal.
Not to mention it's not that hard if you got claws and and handy-feet.
....Actually, do Housepets! squirrels got claws and handy feet? I can't tell.

fenrirblack wrote:I know it is a long shot at this point but I do want to play through a scenario of how this situation can progress. The problem is we don't have time for a long conversation with Kevin and Ralph where Marion tries to explain what is going on. We have one strip before the finale so whatever is going to happen needs to happen fast.
Let's start with the least likely but most ideal scenario. One where Ralph isn't a stick in the mud and actually is helpful.
Ralph: "You can come down now. We won't hurt you."
Kevin: "Sorry for barking at you."
Marion climbs down.
Ralph: "Are you okay?"
Marion: "AM I OKAY? DO I LOOK OKAY? I was chased up a tree by a random dog which before this morning would never have been possible. I am tired and annoyed and really need someone to help me."
Kevin: "What do you need help with?"
Marion: "Despite what it may look like, I am not a squirrel but a human teenager. I woke up like this and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. I was just kicked out of my home by my own mother. I am so close to losing my mind that I don't know how I'm still able to function at all."
Kevin and Ralph exchange a glance.
Marion: '"I know you don't believe me. I mean it sounds crazy. I sound crazy but it's the truth."
Ralph: "Your right that does sound crazy. Are you sure you're alright? I mean Kevin might have done a number on you?"
Kevin: "I don't know. We've seen some crazy stuff. Remember the jaguar ghost and the gold."
Ralph: "That was different. Look, if you are telling the truth or at least you believe you are then there may be someone we can take you too."
Kevin: "You mean Fido's girlfriend?"
Ralph: "Exactly."
I like the dialogue.
.....Now do we make it fit into a 3-to-4 panel comic strip?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Silly Zealot wrote:Being in a life or death situation can make you learn to climb REAL fast.
Also, remember Marion did practice while trying to get his fancy-pants non-adult cereal.
Not to mention it's not that hard if you got claws and and handy-feet.
....Actually, do Housepets! squirrels got claws and handy feet? I can't tell.

fenrirblack wrote:I know it is a long shot at this point but I do want to play through a scenario of how this situation can progress. The problem is we don't have time for a long conversation with Kevin and Ralph where Marion tries to explain what is going on. We have one strip before the finale so whatever is going to happen needs to happen fast.
Let's start with the least likely but most ideal scenario. One where Ralph isn't a stick in the mud and actually is helpful.
Marion climbs down.
Marion: "AM I OKAY? DO I LOOK OKAY? I was chased up a tree by a random dog which before this morning would never have been possible. I am tired and annoyed and really need someone to help me."
Kevin: "What do you need help with?"
Marion: "Despite what it may look like, I am not a squirrel but a human teenager. I woke up like this and for the life of me I cannot figure out why. I was just kicked out of my home by my own mother. I am so close to losing my mind that I don't know how I'm still able to function at all."
Marion: '"I know you don't believe me. I mean it sounds crazy. I sound crazy but it's the truth."
Ralph: "Your right that does sound crazy. Are you sure you're alright? I mean Kevin might have done a number on you?"
Kevin: "I don't know. We've seen some crazy stuff. Remember the jaguar ghost and the gold."
Ralph: "That was different. Look, if you are telling the truth or at least you believe you are then there may be someone we can take you too."
I like the dialogue.
And have the final panel as Marion in a strait-jacket?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

NHWestoN wrote:I'm a little surprised that no one has reacted indignantly to Sargeant Ralph's threat to write up a disciplinary report on poor Kevin for making a pun. What a martinet! Wait'll Karishad hears this!
I don't think Ralph was serious about it, even if he looks like it.
I don't think Kevin takes it seriously either.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:I'm a little surprised that no one has reacted indignantly to Sargeant Ralph's threat to write up a disciplinary report on poor Kevin for making a pun. What a martinet! Wait'll Karishad hears this!
He seems actually happy about it.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

dr_eirik wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:
He seems actually happy about it.
I dunno looking at his face again, he seems a bit stern and serious. Makes me wonder if there's something more going on behind the scenes with Ralph that's making him more serious.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:
There is a passage in "All the King's Men" where King reflects on his transformation and remarks how even though his body is completely different he didn't have any trouble learning how to use it or even notice the transformation until it was pointed out to him by Pete.
Silly Zealot wrote:I like the dialogue.

Marion climbs down.
Marion: "AM I OKAY? DO I LOOK OKAY? I was chased up a tree by a random dog which before this morning would never have been possible. I am not a squirrel but a human teenager. I woke up like this and for the life of me I cannot figure out why."

A bit of editing and it could work.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

SeanWolf wrote: I dunno looking at his face again, he seems a bit stern and serious. Makes me wonder if there's something more going on behind the scenes with Ralph that's making him more serious.
I imagine that is Ralph's default expression. He looks very often stern and serious.
Some people here couldn't even remember if Ralph EVER smiled :lol:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
SeanWolf wrote: I dunno looking at his face again, he seems a bit stern and serious. Makes me wonder if there's something more going on behind the scenes with Ralph that's making him more serious.
I imagine that is Ralph's default expression. He looks very often stern and serious.

I meant that Kevin seemed to be happy, almost a "worth it" expression.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:

I meant that Kevin seemed to be happy, almost a "worth it" expression.
.... like pinching the last cookie. Gonna get punished but soooooooooo worth it!! ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:I dunno looking at his face again, he seems a bit stern and serious. Makes me wonder if there's something more going on behind the scenes with Ralph that's making him more serious.
It does raise the question of why they're there. Random patrol? Call about a possible crime? Kinda shows how little we know about how the K9-PD operates on a regular basis.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon May 27, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

By the power of caffeine, you are ~
THUNDER SQUIRREL!
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Let's think for a moment about the long term story.

1. Marion has to meet Tarot, Sabrina, and/or Kitsune just to figure out what has happened to him and begin developing a strategy to reserve it. (That would mean taking the "Pet" path. Find Sabrina and Tarot. Talk to Kitsune, he's no help because it was Pete's curse so only he would have the answer blah blah blah its an adventure. Craig the fox would be useless without his godly knowledge so we would have to go to whoever read the scrolls which was Thomas. Talk to Keene about what happened to Thomas. He's at the Zoo. Go to the Zoo talk to Thomas who says that to reverse the curse you need the coin that did the deed. Find the coin and find Steward in the woods. This of course is still assuming he was the one behind it but since he's our #1 suspect it is easier to assume it is.)

2. Go home. Depending on how long Marion is going to stay a squirrel will determine a lot of aspects of his character arc but he has to return home eventually even if he's still a squirrel.

3. Graduate High school. Even if he is still a squirrel he has to graduate just for the sake of his own future.
It is possible that he may be able to get the Miltons and some of the other pets on his side to help him persuade the school to let him take his exams and get his diploma.

4. Change back to human. Eventually.

Something to think about is if Marion finds a way to reverse the curse and manages to keep the coin then he would essentially have the power to change back and forth at will. ;)
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

It's still unclear whether or not Steward is behind all this, and if he is, whether or not he intentionally targeted and transformed Marion is up in the air too. If Steward is behind it, he could've put the coin somewhere that he'd know would allow it to get circulated into human possession. Laundromat, maybe? Finding someway to sneak just the coin itself onto a person's, well, person and into people's houses would make a lot more sense than than sneaking into Marion's house and transforming him; much less conspicuous, slimmer chance of getting caught, etc. And Marion was a senior in high school during Finals Week. That kind of stress often makes for light sleeping (at least it did for me).

Steward could also have multiple coins now, and Marion could be just one of his victims that's going to show up in future arcs. Steward's a badger, and badgers are good at digging holes. He could've gone down into the basement of the tree they're living in (it is a tree, right?) and dug a hole toward the temple to get more coins. I can see it now: Marion set out the fresh pair of jeans on his bed (the pair we see on the bed on the first page of the arc) the night before so he could get ready in a hurry. That pair had the coin in them. Stressful dreams because of Finals Week had him toss and turn and the coin slides out of the pocket, rolls towards him and touches him.

One last idea, assuming there are multiple coins in circulation: What if each coin turns you into a different animal? From my understanding, it was never confirmed that the coin that transformed Thomas is the same one that transformed Steward. The coin that Marion got might only be able to squirrelify people. That could leave it open for Lois to become a part of the story by coming over to Marion's house, helping his mom look for him or clues to his whereabouts, and finding the coin and touching it to get squirrelified. Then she gets comedically kicked out by Marion's Mom too ("How do these things keep getting in the house?!?") and Marion and Lois are stuck in the same situation as the same species together. Misery loves company, after all.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:It's still unclear whether or not Steward is behind all this, and if he is, whether or not he intentionally targeted and transformed Marion is up in the air too.
It actually would be funny it turned out to be someone completely different all together but still used the coin. They all confront Steward and the chair swivels around revealing it was....a completely new character we've never met before! :shock:

Or perhaps it was Custom Ink all along in her pursuit for power and to spread the word of her crazy cult. :roll:

Or perhaps even....
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My what big teeth both Ralph and Kevin have. :lol:
Argent

Post by Argent »

leinglo wrote:Although this [img] has me calling shenanigans on him calling Kevin out for the terrible pun.
It was Fido making the pun.
Ash Greytree wrote:Then since Fox is the only one who apparently knows about magic on the force,
Terrance.

I want to see more Terrance anyway.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Argent wrote:
leinglo wrote:Although this [img] has me calling shenanigans on him calling Kevin out for the terrible pun.
Ash Greytree wrote:Then since Fox is the only one who apparently knows about magic on the force,
Terrance.

Terrance is another long lost soul well overdue for at least a walk-in. Oh, and Daisy, too......
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
Argent wrote:
Terrance.

Terrance is another long lost soul well overdue for at least a walk-in. Oh, and Daisy, too......
There is such a large supporting cast of characters, some going unseen for years, that its hard to keep track of them all. Is there a cast page or wiki that has them all listed?

And I suspect that any and all character development for Daisy would be... "Hi! I'm Daisy!".
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Actually during the arc where Sasha was brainwashed into trying to kill Keene, Daisy showed that she could say some other things than just her catchphrase.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

dr_eirik wrote:There is such a large supporting cast of characters, some going unseen for years, that its hard to keep track of them all. Is there a cast page or wiki that has them all listed?
https://housepetscomic.fandom.com/wiki/Characters
I think this is what you're looking for.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

CunningFox wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:There is such a large supporting cast of characters, some going unseen for years, that its hard to keep track of them all. Is there a cast page or wiki that has them all listed?
https://housepetscomic.fandom.com/wiki/Characters
I think this is what you're looking for.
Yes! thanks!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure eventually Rick will get around to taking a look at that and digging out some characters we haven't seen before but for now, we have Marion.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Ash Greytree wrote:It's still unclear whether or not Steward is behind all this, and if he is, whether or not he intentionally targeted and transformed Marion is up in the air too. If Steward is behind it, he could've put the coin somewhere that he'd know would allow it to get circulated into human possession. Laundromat, maybe? Finding someway to sneak just the coin itself onto a person's, well, person and into people's houses would make a lot more sense than than sneaking into Marion's house and transforming him; much less conspicuous, slimmer chance of getting caught, etc. And Marion was a senior in high school during Finals Week. That kind of stress often makes for light sleeping (at least it did for me).
While the cursed coin is indeed a coin, it's not your common quarter. Trying to get the coin into circulation would be about as hard as paying for a good with drachma or an aureus. It may look valuable (and shiny), but it's a long time since the gold coin was currency.
Ash Greytree wrote:Steward could also have multiple coins now, and Marion could be just one of his victims that's going to show up in future arcs. Steward's a badger, and badgers are good at digging holes. He could've gone down into the basement of the tree they're living in (it is a tree, right?) and dug a hole toward the temple to get more coins. I can see it now: Marion set out the fresh pair of jeans on his bed (the pair we see on the bed on the first page of the arc) the night before so he could get ready in a hurry. That pair had the coin in them. Stressful dreams because of Finals Week had him toss and turn and the coin slides out of the pocket, rolls towards him and touches him.
If the coin was in Marion's pants, then that raises the question of how they got there since that would necessitate an animal having access to his pants or someone else getting transformed.
Ash Greytree wrote:One last idea, assuming there are multiple coins in circulation: What if each coin turns you into a different animal? From my understanding, it was never confirmed that the coin that transformed Thomas is the same one that transformed Steward. The coin that Marion got might only be able to squirrelify people. That could leave it open for Lois to become a part of the story by coming over to Marion's house, helping his mom look for him or clues to his whereabouts, and finding the coin and touching it to get squirrelified. Then she gets comedically kicked out by Marion's Mom too ("How do these things keep getting in the house?!?") and Marion and Lois are stuck in the same situation as the same species together. Misery loves company, after all.
You're right that it was never confirmed that the coin that changed Steward changed Thomas, but Thomas ws cursed by an entire bag of coins.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Meaning that maybe one of the coins from the bag did curse Steward.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

For no logical reason, I'm still suspecting that the Li'l dino-Demon has a claw in this development. True, we don't know if he has any real magical powers beyond flight or why he would pick on Marion especially. Nonetheless, we have no evidence that any of the other coins have left the Temple's rubble, no reason to connect Steward/Badger with Marion's transformation, and no indication that Marion had contact with coins since all previous "coin-changes" (heeheehee) have been immediate and instantaneous. Maybe, as an Infernal, our diabolical mite could carry a couple around undetected..... ?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:For no logical reason, I'm still suspecting that the Li'l dino-Demon has a claw in this development. True, we don't know if he has any real magical powers beyond flight or why he would pick on Marion especially. Nonetheless, we have no evidence that any of the other coins have left the Temple's rubble, no reason to connect Steward/Badger with Marion's transformation, and no indication that Marion had contact with coins since all previous "coin-changes" (heeheehee) have been immediate and instantaneous. Maybe, as an Infernal, our diabolical mite could carry a couple around undetected..... ?
We know he'll have some role down the line. The question is will it be bigger then just Marion's transformation like destroying the world because remember that Dragon's temple is still out there and if Keene's comment was any indication then it will come into play before the end of the series. Or will Marion's transformation be connected to the demon even if it wasn't the demon's doing in the first place?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well Rick didn't have the demon show up for no reason when he did so the demon has got to have something to do with things down the line.