2019/05/24 - Careful What You Wish For

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
shadowlucario50

I'm All About Those Chase Scenes!

Post by shadowlucario50 »

Well, I was early last night, but now the thread is up.

Welp, I thought before that the dogs would find and chase him. Let's see if that prediction still holds.

Meanwhile, I feel that since Julia didn't take Marion's charm that was around his neck, Marion will probably be chased by more than dogs. There will be others chasing him to get that charm back and probably think he knows something about "Marion's" disappearance. With the K9 appearing first, this means that they have one police dog who has intel. So... let the chase scenes begin. :>
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
jonas

Re: 2019/05/24 - Careful What You Wish For

Post by jonas »

The rest of the arc will be about Marion leading Kevin on a merry chase which is subsequently joined, one by one, by every dog in the Housepets! cast, until it's this huge comical stampede.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:You know, I had a different thought. Kevin may be a bit flighty but he's a good egg. He sees Marion as a female squirrel, but Marion is wearing a collar of sorts and probably looks lost. He might just be able to hold his instincts enough to actually try and help rather than give chase.

If this was going to be a chase, then any old dog would do. Wouldn't even have to be one we know. Why involve the K-9's at all if it's just to chase Marion into the woods?
You're right. One of the K-9s having found him first is a positive development. What I hope happens (cause it would be pretty funny) is that Marion starts pleading for his life or making his peace as Kevin approaches him trying to help, Marion says something that gives Kevin pause or catches his attention, and then Marion is finally on his way to getting the help he needs.

Marion: "Well, this is it. I was this close to graduation, but the universe just had to throw me a curveball and turn me into a squirrel so I could get killed by a dog!"
Kevin: "Wait, you "turned into a squirrel?"
M: "You probably wouldn't believe me if I told you, so just go ahead and kill me now!"
K: "First, I'm not going to hurt you. Second, I kind of know someone who..."
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

What is really interesting about this scenario is the fact that it is Kevin, one of the few characters that doesn’t know about the existence of magic or the divine. Im hoping that Kevin pulls a Fox and becomes Marion’s animal partner. Plus since he’s a K-9 it adds a neat detective element. Not to mention it would give Kevin some long overdo character development.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Oh, Kevin doesn't know about King and Kitsune and them all? Dang. Then I'll fall back on hoping that Marion panics, runs, gets chased and they stumble upon Sabrina/Tarot like I said earlier, and things starting picking up for him from there. Or he gets taken into custody and his story gets Fox's attention. Really, anything that gets him to King and Kitsune ASAP is what I'm hoping for, so the plot can move from "Marion needs to get to a safe spot where he can get some help and support" to "protagonists try to figure out what caused Marion's transformation and stop it from potentially wreaking more havoc".

I also just thought of something regarding Lois: What if the end-of-year page has Lois coming over to Marion's house after school because she's worried about him and helps his mom look around the house for clues as to where he's gone and rummages through his room for any possible info? Then it turns out the coin was on his bed, she touches it, and then gets turned into an animal as well? That could be an interesting twist.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Kevin is familiar with magic, though. He's more sharp than we give him credit for when it comes to putting pieces together. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Oh, no, Kevin!

Well, at least it's not Bino.

Still, I would reserve this kind of humiliation conga for someone whom I actually hate. With Marion, it's just heartbreaking (if I had a heart, that is).

Man, I could HEAR the pleading from Marion in that first panel. :(
Gbr23 wrote:OH OH, WHAT IF Marion's family are Kevin's owners!!!
Yeah, I had been thinking just that! Maybe Kevin will hear him out and they can make a plan for..
fenrirblack wrote:Kevin Beauregard
....I am sad now.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:Kevin is familiar with magic, though. He's more sharp than we give him credit for when it comes to putting pieces together. x3
That would make it more likely for Kevin to give him the benefit of the doubt at least. I do wonder how much Fido knows about magic just from his relationship with Sabrina and how much he’s told Kevin. Through the grape vine of sorts. At the very least we can hope for something like Kevin saying “You know, my best friend’s girlfriend knows a lot about this stuff. Maybe she can help you out. I was supposed to check out a possible break in down the street but this seems more important.”
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I've had the impression that, even when not directly stated, all the pets are aware of Kings circumstances. I felt like there was a strip last year where he was telling someone about his early life and had to stop and make sure they were aware he was human once. If that's the case, then it's not a huge leap for Kevin to assume that Marion might be telling the truth.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:I've had the impression that, even when not directly stated, all the pets are aware of Kings circumstances. I felt like there was a strip last year where he was telling someone about his early life and had to stop and make sure they were aware he was human once. If that's the case, then it's not a huge leap for Kevin to assume that Marion might be telling the truth.
That was Miles who heard it from Daryl who was at the Diner when King confronted Pete. Apparently the wolves know, Sabrina knows, Tarot knows, of course Fox and Bailey knows, Peanut knows (he was there when they went to heaven), Keene and I’m assuming the rest of the Milton clan knows, Kari knows, Grape knows and for some reason Max knows. Beyond that there is no indication anyone else knows. Plus it still might not be great if everyone knew that King used to be a pet kidnapper who worked for Peta or an escaped convict especially Bill. I’m not even sure his kids know or if that is something they want to try to explain to them.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri May 24, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
22xander

Post by 22xander »

dr_eirik wrote:I've had the impression that, even when not directly stated, all the pets are aware of Kings circumstances. I felt like there was a strip last year where he was telling someone about his early life and had to stop and make sure they were aware he was human once. If that's the case, then it's not a huge leap for Kevin to assume that Marion might be telling the truth.
That was him talking to the wolves who heard it from fox.

Idk, I feel like all the metaphisical pets (penut, grape, tarot, sabrina, ect) know about it. But I doubt the general populas does, just those that they trust. The wolves are someone fox and king would both trust, so I undertand that one.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Could Fox have possibly sent out a memo to just his coworkers about magic and the potential for situations like this to arise? I feel like Fox would want them have access to all that info just in case. A good joke would be where Kevin takes Marion straight to King and the wolves’ place, King asks him how he knew where to take Marion, and Kevin pulls out a pamphlet that says “Magic(k) and You” or something along those lines.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Ash Greytree wrote:Could Fox have possibly sent out a memo to just his coworkers about magic and the potential for situations like this to arise? I feel like Fox would want them have access to all that info just in case. A good joke would be where Kevin takes Marion straight to King and the wolves’ place, King asks him how he knew where to take Marion, and Kevin pulls out a pamphlet that says “Magic(k) and You” or something along those lines.
Yes. Unfortunately any 'Magic is real' memo won't hold without explanation and any explanation involving the war of teen gods, the trip to Heaven and the existence of Angel girlfriends won't end up with him being taken seriously but, more likely, sent to the psychologist and declared unfit to work.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:Could Fox have possibly sent out a memo to just his coworkers about magic and the potential for situations like this to arise? I feel like Fox would want them have access to all that info just in case. A good joke would be where Kevin takes Marion straight to King and the wolves’ place, King asks him how he knew where to take Marion, and Kevin pulls out a pamphlet that says “Magic(k) and You” or something along those lines.
Yes. Unfortunately any 'Magic is real' memo won't hold without explanation and any explanation involving the war of teen gods, the trip to Heaven and the existence of Angel girlfriends won't end up with him being taken seriously but, more likely, sent to the psychologist and declared unfit to work.
I'd believe him!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
I'd believe him!
Yes, but you're a self confessed Silly!
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I can see Sergeant Ralph scowling in skeptical disapproval. Poor Fox.
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

Wait, so even in this anthro world, dogs have zero sense of self-restraint and will chase after a squirrel?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We can easily assume based on the past that we have seen with Kevin that HE has no self-restraint but I'm not sure about the other dogs.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

We’ve never seen the dogs give into those kind of behaviors so it is unlikely it would start now. I choose to think of the HPU like Zootopia and predators and prey getting along without senseless violence excluding the cats. Kevin doesn’t strike me as someone who would target a defenseless creature without probable cause.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

fenrirblack wrote:We’ve never seen the dogs give into those kind of behaviors so it is unlikely it would start now. I choose to think of the HPU like Zootopia and predators and prey getting along without senseless violence excluding the cats. Kevin doesn’t strike me as someone who would target a defenseless creature without probable cause.
Agreed. I can't see him doing the quasi-hysterical " SQUIRREL- woof-woof-woof-woof-up-the-tree " schtick. If anything, he seems benign here.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:We’ve never seen the dogs give into those kind of behaviors so it is unlikely it would start now. I choose to think of the HPU like Zootopia and predators and prey getting along without senseless violence excluding the cats. Kevin doesn’t strike me as someone who would target a defenseless creature without probable cause.
Agreed. I can't see him doing the quasi-hysterical " SQUIRREL- woof-woof-woof-woof-up-the-tree " schtick. If anything, he seems benign here.
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I think that Marion is going to react like he's about to be chased, but Kevin will try and talk him down.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He probably only sees Kevin smirking and wagging his tail and thinks he is about to be tackled painfully but I would like it if expectations were subverted and Kevin does react in a reasonable way. :lol:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I think that Marion is going to react like he's about to be chased, but Kevin will try and talk him down.
At this point, I wonder if Marion will bother running away or just lay down in a fetal position screaming “do what you have to but make it quick.” Well actually, As funny as that would be, he has put up quite a fight up to this point so he might even stand up to a Kevin if he thinks that he’ll give chase.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Kevin gives chase he is gonna have a lot of broken bones when he pounces him. :)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: At this point, I wonder if Marion will bother running away or just lay down in a fetal position screaming “do what you have to but make it quick.” Well actually, As funny as that would be, he has put up quite a fight up to this point so he might even stand up to a Kevin if he thinks that he’ll give chase.
I think if he'd coming in contact with Kevin a short time before, but in the immediate aftermath of his mother throwing him out, I'm not so sure that there is much fight left in him. It looks to me like he's pacing back and forth with hands folded together. The mere appearance of Kevin could be enough to be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: At this point, I wonder if Marion will bother running away or just lay down in a fetal position screaming “do what you have to but make it quick.” Well actually, As funny as that would be, he has put up quite a fight up to this point so he might even stand up to a Kevin if he thinks that he’ll give chase.
I think if he'd coming in contact with Kevin a short time before, but in the immediate aftermath of his mother throwing him out, I'm not so sure that there is much fight left in him. It looks to me like he's pacing back and forth with hands folded together. The mere appearance of Kevin could be enough to be the straw that breaks the proverbial camels back.
Dispair'll do that to yah but I think the little nut-kanpper's got a bit more fight left in him … and I'd like to think Kevin's not that much of a stinker (and I'm STILL not a big fan of the Doberman detective, but why not opt for Kindness?).
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

There still could be a chase, but with Marion as the one who starts running first rather than Kevin being the one who starts it. Kevin could just be looking to assist, but Marion might be so out of sorts at this point that he sees a dog, thinks 'Oh no, I know what squirrels do to dogs' and make a break for it, with Kevin chasing him, saying "Wait, you looked worried and I just want to help!". Then the chase leads to stumbling into Fox who was possibly nearby on patrol as well, or Sabrina and/or Tarot, or worst case, the chase going all the way out to the woods where he meets up with Steward and company, and falls in with them. In that last case, where Dr. Eirik asked why get K-9s involved just to have Marion get chased into the woods, it'd be so that there's a group that knows that a squirrel left Marion's house so that if/when a missings person report gets filed for him that includes info about a squirrel, Kevin and the K-9s have a lead.

My bet is on Marion meeting up with King and then in the End Of Year 11 strip, King and him have gathered up all the group that knows about magic. They talk about what could've possibly changed Marion and, that they need to figure it out in case it could happen to more people. Then in a cut away from that scene, Rick reveals the cause behind Marion's transformation. Or possibly a bigger twist than that: Marion meets King, and they get a group together and start discussing what to do, and the possibility that it isn't just an isolated incident and they need to figure out the cause fast. Then in the same strip there's a cut that takes place later that night, and it follows what seems to be a random animal who's out in the neighborhood and looks distressed and sad. But then we get a close-up reveal that they're wearing a bracelet with beads that read "L & M".
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Ash Greytree wrote:Then in the same strip there's a cut that takes place later that night, and it follows what seems to be a random animal who's out in the neighborhood and looks distressed and sad. But then we get a close-up reveal that they're wearing a bracelet with beads that read "L & M".
Now THAT would be a interesting twist!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
Dispair'll do that to yah but I think the little nut-kanpper's got a bit more fight left in him
It would be so awesome if Marion just started yelling at Kevin and tried to fight him.
Marion: "I have lost my home, my mother, my manhood. I have been crushed by cereal, and almost died from an energy drink. You do not want to mess with me! My name is Marion Ward and I will take you down. I took karate as a kid and I still remember most of it." :)
Ash Greytree wrote: My bet is on Marion meeting up with King and then in the End Of Year 11 strip, King and him have gathered up all the group that knows about magic. They talk about what could've possibly changed Marion and, that they need to figure it out in case it could happen to more people. Then in a cut away from that scene, Rick reveals the cause behind Marion's transformation.
I like this idea so In the very last scene of the the End of Year 11 we cut to a shot of Steward standing on the edge of the woods, shadows obscuring part of his face and you can still see the coin in his hand as he watches the events unfold. BUT was it really him or does Rick only want us to think it’s him. If it wasn’t then what he is plotting there? Ooohhh.....
If not Steward then someone should be watching from afar. Creepy style.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

fenrirblack wrote:I like this idea so In the very last scene of the the End of Year 11 we cut to a shot of Steward standing on the edge of the woods, shadows obscuring part of his face and you can still see the coin in his hand as he watches the events unfold. BUT was it really him or does Rick only want us to think it’s him. If it wasn’t then what he is plotting there? Ooohhh.....
Random theory that could hold no merit but what if...it was Marion's girlfriend who was behind this?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:I like this idea so In the very last scene of the the End of Year 11 we cut to a shot of Steward standing on the edge of the woods, shadows obscuring part of his face and you can still see the coin in his hand as he watches the events unfold. BUT was it really him or does Rick only want us to think it’s him. If it wasn’t then what he is plotting there? Ooohhh.....
Random theory that could hold no merit but what if...it was Marion's girlfriend who was behind this?
Yes, of course. And while she's taking her exam she pulls out a small compact mirror that shows Marion with the other pets as she smirks.
The teachers calls on her. "Ms. Lois, what are you doing over there? We are in the middle of an exam."
Lois responds, "Nothing. Nothing at all."
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Ooh, what if the demon that came out of Hell with Keene is doing stuff behind the scenes? If it didn't have it already, could it possibly have gained some kind of power to transform humans into animals? Maybe if Lois is behind it all, the demon entered some kind of pact with her and that's how she was able to do it, and that's her senior prank on Marion?

What if we the twist here is that it's not just Marion, but tons of other students at the high school get turned into animals over the course of the arc as well? And (going a bit crazy here) then the end of the arc is a graduation scene and it's full of animals who were students that had the option to change back, but actually like their new forms?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote:Ooh, what if the demon that came out of Hell with Keene is doing stuff behind the scenes? If it didn't have it already, could it possibly have gained some kind of power to transform humans into animals? Maybe if Lois is behind it all, the demon entered some kind of pact with her and that's how she was able to do it, and that's her senior prank on Marion?

What if we the twist here is that it's not just Marion, but tons of other students at the high school get turned into animals over the course of the arc as well? And (going a bit crazy here) then the end of the arc is a graduation scene and it's full of animals who were students that had the option to change back, but actually like their new forms?
While I would write that if this was my story, I'm not sure that Rick is ready to upend the entire universe in which Babylon Gardens resides. At the moment, really just a few pets know what's going on. I don't think any humans do. Something like that would break it open to the world at large and would definitely shift the setting dramatically.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I vote for all of the above simultaneously (especially the contradictory parts) :P
I just love that there's so many interesting ways this could go! So excited to get the next part! :D
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:
Gbr23 wrote:OH OH, WHAT IF Marion's family are Kevin's owners!!!
No, Marion's lastname is "Ward" while Kevin's is Beauregard
Unless Ward is Julia's maiden name.
dr_eirik wrote:If this was going to be a chase, then any old dog would do. Wouldn't even have to be one we know. Why involve the K-9's at all if it's just to chase Marion into the woods?
If "any old dog would do" than that means Kevin would do too.
fenrirblack wrote:Not to mention it would give Kevin some long overdo character development.
Do you think everyone is overdue for character development?
fenrirblack wrote:
That was Miles who heard it from Daryl who was at the Diner when King confronted Pete. Apparently the wolves know, Sabrina knows, Tarot knows, of course Fox and Bailey knows, Peanut knows (he was there when they went to heaven), Keene and I’m assuming the rest of the Milton clan knows, Kari knows, Grape knows and for some reason Max knows. Beyond that there is no indication anyone else knows. Plus it still might not be great if everyone knew that King used to be a pet kidnapper who worked for Peta or an escaped convict especially Bill. I’m not even sure his kids know or if that is something they want to try to explain to them.
In regards to Peanut if you're referring to when he gave them the lamp, he didn't lean about Joel and King being the same person there. Also, when did Grape and Max learn King's secret?
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:I'd believe him!
Yes, but you're a self confessed Silly!
Yes, but you're a self confessed Halfwit.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Not to mention it would give Kevin some long overdo character development.
Do you think everyone is overdue for character development?
I mean, yeah, actually :P
Argent

Post by Argent »

I'm not sure King could survive any more character development.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Character development is something that is always really great for a character even if they seemed to already be at their peak because there is more you can do.