Housepets In The Borderlands!

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

(Figured I get a head start on this fic!)

Prologue: Over At King & Bailey's House

*Location: Living Room inside King and Bailey's house during a winter power outage*
Bailey: Power may be out but at least we have a nice fire going.
King: Yep. Just me, you, the kids...
*Ace snoozes*
King: *chuckles* And a sleepy Ace in my hands
Bailey: Yep! Don't forget the cocoa!
Olive: Daddy, when will the power come back?
King: Depends really. Could be an hour, could be a day, who knows.
Rook: Can you tell us a story?
King: A story? Uh, sure...what'd you want to hear?
Olive: How about when you met mommy?
Rook: Bleh! Too mushy!
*Bailey and King laughs*
Rook: Uncle Jack..can you tell us a story?

'Four Finger Discount' Jack: So... You want to hear a story, eh? One about treasure hunters, dastardly villains, and courageous heroes? Haha, have I got a story for you, young ones! Babylon Gardens... This is our home. But make no mistake - this is not a place of peace and love. They say it's a wasteland, that it's dangerous, that only a fool would search for something of value here. Then perhaps I am a fool, which I never am I can assure you! But do not be fooled by what Babylon Gardens appears to be. There was a legend... Many people tell it. The legend of the Temple. My Uncle would always go on about the Temple; even with his dying breath. Advanced Celestial technology. Infinite wealth. Fame. Power. Women. So you can understand why some little pups and kittens who hear the stories grow up to become Temple hunters. Well, I have a story you may not believe. But I tell you it is true. The legend of the Temple is real! And it is here in Babylon Gardens. And a... let's call her a 'guardian angel,' appeared to guide the Temple hunters to their prize. The tale begins right here in Babylon Gardens, with the brave Temple hunters, the guardian angel and most importantly, me...

Olive: Is this gonna be a true story?
*Ace continues to snooze in King's arms*
Rook: Yeah, last time you told a story, Aunty Wulf had to correct you most of the time
Jack: Well, this one WILL be true *chuckles*
Bailey: You sure? Cause it seems...questionable
King: And how violent will it be? I don't want the pups here being exposed to excessive amounts....
Bailey: Yet you're fine with Tom & Jerry.
King: Cause it's a cartoon, you know it's fake.
Jack: Ah, you two worry too much! Just sit back and enjoy the story!
King: Still though...
Bailey: Well, hey, it could be...wait something just crossed my mind: Babylon Gardens was a wasteland? How much did we miss during our vacation in Florida?!
Jack: Plenty...now could you shush and let me tell the tale?
*Ace keeps on snoozing cutely in King's arms, to which he pets his head softly*
King: Well, try not to be too loud. Ace is still sleeping.
Jack: No guarantees!
*King sighs as Bailey cuddles him, causing a smile to cross his face*
Bailey: Well...what's the worst that could happen with his story? Go ahead, Jack.
Jack: Thank you. Well, our story begins on a small bus, driven by me of course, on its way to FireRock Station...
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Housepets In The Borderlands!

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really like this so far! It is really awesome! I can't wait to see more of this!
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

I like the sound of this story! And with a great narrator too, I'm excited :D
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:I like the sound of this story! And with a great narrator too, I'm excited :D
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I really like this so far! It is really awesome! I can't wait to see more of this!
Thanks! And yes, this will be set within the game Borderlands so...can't really spoil anything if you already played it :P
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

Well now every time Jack has diologue I'm gonna be reading it in Marcus's voice forever.

Also once I realized Jack was doing the intro I couldn't help but laugh-
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Tappy Too wrote:Well now every time Jack has diologue I'm gonna be reading it in Marcus's voice forever.

Also once I realized Jack was doing the intro I couldn't help but laugh-
Glad you liked it! I honestly couldn't think of anyone else who be Marcus other then Jack!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I never would have guessed that Jack would have been the type to do an intro. This is very awesome!
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I never would have guessed that Jack would have been the type to do an intro. This is very awesome!
Well it was either going to be him or someone else, but I figured Jack fit better as Marcus from the games :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Always figured Jack would make a natural yarn-spinner, so I seriously settlin' back to enjoy this tall tale. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He was able to show that he was really good at making up stories before like when he tried to tell his nephews how he lost his arm.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

given his name, shouldn't jack have a plastic replica of his face stapled to his face, instead og being a marcus expy?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Buster wrote:given his name, shouldn't jack have a plastic replica of his face stapled to his face, instead og being a marcus expy?
I...well, truth be told, I went with Jack as Marcus as they both share similar interests. I haven't decided who'll be Handsome Jack when I do the follow-up.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Obviously a character that is handsome so maybe Jata? ;)
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Obviously a character that is handsome so maybe Jata? ;)
Hm, that could work. I don't want to repeat myself and have Pete as the villain again (already did in my first fic), so maybe Jata could work.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't know he was the villain but then again I know diddly about the video game.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

handsome jack is the villan in the second game, The Load in the spinoff that takes place between 1 & 2, a sleezebag, and not actually handsome. or jacked.

also most of his face is scar tissue in the shape of the vault crest so he has a prosthetic face.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Buster wrote:handsome jack is the villan in the second game, The Load in the spinoff that takes place between 1 & 2, a sleezebag, and not actually handsome. or jacked.

also most of his face is scar tissue in the shape of the vault crest so he has a prosthetic face.
Well, this is only based on the first game so there's plenty of time to decide who'll play the part of Handsome Jack if I end up doing the sequel :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that there are plenty of villains in the comic who aren't handsome or jacked. :D
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm sure that there are plenty of villains in the comic who aren't handsome or jacked. :D
:lol: :lol: For the record, this is Handsome Jack
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Chapter 1: Fresh Off The Bus

It was a lovely day with the sun shining brightly, the glow of the desert sand shimmering in the light, and random skags (Those are dogs whose mouth opens sideways) roaming the land. One made it onto the road as there was some lovely roadkill there but, little did it know...BAM! It would become like the food it was eating as I ran it down with my bus to our destination of FireRock Station! Normally, I go there to drop off weapons and ammo, but today was different as, on my bus, were four special, awesome people: Temple Hunters! The first was a tall, sorta skinny fella who dressed like he was a luchador, packed a sniper, and had a bird of some type on his shoulder and went by the name of Peanut and his bird-thing was named Tarot. Then there was this soldier guy who was loading up an assault rifle named Max, a BEAUTIFUL lady with glowy tattoos named Grape...and then there was Mungo. Seriously, just Mungo. Dude was built like a tank and had the looks and shotgun to match! "Alright!" I then said, "Next stop, FireRock Station! Be sure to grab your stuff!" As we did pull up to the station and I watched them grab their gear, I added to my previous sentence to them that "I've got some advice for all of you. It's tough out there, and you won't be able to just beat up on whatever you please until you're ready. Sure, you can take from the bandits or find things in the wild, but equipment you buy from my stores are guaranteed! And if you die, you can't get your money back because you're dead! I kid! No need to be so serious here. And if you're looking for the Temple, well, you're going to have your work cut out for you. So don't be afraid to spend what it takes to get the equipment you need. You listen to Marcus. I come from seven generations of merchants and I'm the best. Want to know why? Cause I'm making it out here, in this place!" As I was speaking to them, I noticed they had an odd look to them. Like they seen a ghost or something. Here someone had contacted them and was saying...

King: Wait, how did you know they were being chatted with?
Jack: They told me. Shush.

This 'guardian angel' contacted them and said "Don't be alarmed. I need you to stay calm and don't let on that anyone is talking to you. Start making your way off the bus..." which they did and one of them, I think it was Peanut, stopped to look at me for a bit. Spotting him eyeing me, I just said "Well, we're here! Don't worry about saying goodbye as I'm sure we'll be seeing each other again soon!" Then with a laugh I told them to scram and I drove off! Leaving them at FireRock Station and at the mercy of a little trash-can robot.
"Greetings!" it said "I am a SQU3K CUTE-Bot, but you may call me by my locally designated named Squeek! Before I take you four to the peaceful town of FireRock, please accept these ECHO Devices, courtesy of the Milton Corporation!" An ECHO Device, for you youngin's, are like...like...iPads except more reliable and they have a built-in clicky keyboard like the Commodore PET!

Rook: The what?
Olive: Huh?
King: *whispers* It's a very old computer from before your mother and I was were born.

"Please, follow me this way to the peaceful town of FireRock!" Squeek said before leading them into the town and, let me tell you, it was not as peaceful as she said for as soon as they got to the gate..."Oh, no...Bandits! RUN!" Suddenly, the loud roaring sound of encroaching vehicles was heard as two bandit buggies jumped over our fearless heroes and into the peaceful town of FireRock, shooting the sh...
Bailey: Ah ah ah! Language!
...shhhhhiitake mushrooms out of everything *nervous chuckle*! But as quickly as it began, it was over as the two vehicles drove off, leading the SQU3K-Bot to poke her cute lil head out.
"Are they gone?" She said, "Whew! That was a close one! Bullets and SQU3K CUTE-Bots do not mix well, let me tell you!" before pressing a few keys on a door lock and opening the gate, letting the four Temple Hunters in. As soon as they step foot in though...
"IT'S THE TEMPLE HUNTERS! GET 'EM!" Suddenly, they were ambushed by some Bandits that had stayed behind to do their looting and the Temple Hunters sprung into action! Grape phaselocked...erm Phaselock is like the Force but cooler...a few bandits, exploding them into chunky bits! Max dropped a turret that quickly made mince meat out of a few! Peanut climbed a nearby building and started sniping while his buddy Tarot swooped down and attacked! And Mungo? Well, lets say there is a reason he is known as a Strongest Temple Hunter out there, for only one punch turned one Bandit into nothing more then a pair of shoes. Just like that *snap* it was all over and the only ones standing were the brave Temple Hunters and the SQU3K CUTE-Bot, who made her way to a nearby building and called out "Attention citizen of FireRock! There is no need to fear! The mighty Temple Hunters have rid this town of the bandit issue!"
"Well, shoot, I thought I was a goner that time! Give me a second to open the gate." a voice from within the building said and, few moments later, the gate of the building open and there, standing over a "paitent", was Dr. Rufus: Medical Practitioner without a license.
"Thanks for the rescue!" Rufus quipped, cleaning off a buzzhammer he had used for surgery, "Name's Rufus. I run this here clinic and I keep the folks who remain here in tip-top shape...heh if you don't mind tetanus heh. Anyway, what're your names?"
"I'm Peanut and this is my pet bird, Tarot"
"I'm Grape"
"I'm Max, Ex-Atlus Soldier"
"Please to meet you three," Dr. Rufus said while shaking each of their paws before turning his attention to Mungo and asking him "What's your name?" Alas, Mungo didn't say a word but just stood there in silence.
"Man of few words, huh? Don't worry, I can dig it." Rufus the quipped before turning his attention back to the others and saying, "Now you three are after the Temple, huh? Sorry but, I can't help you unless you deal with an issue we're having. See, we got this bandit guy named Nine-Toes causing trouble in our neighborhood and, no thanks to him, most of the townsfolk here left for New Haven. Would you mind doing me a favor and see about killing him? I have a friend who might be able to help you, he lives just outside of town on a ridge. If you kill Nine-Toes, I can make it worth your wild. What'd you say?" The Temple Hunters thought for a bit before nodding to each other and Max replying "Sure, we'll do it."

King: Uh, 'fore you continue...when was Tarot a bird? I know she's a bit scatterbrained but a bird?
Jack: As I said, you folks missed plenty during your vacation to Florida!
Bailey: *whispering to King* I'm starting to question his story too as I knew Rufus and he was never a doctor...plus he's been dead for a few years.
King: *whispering back* Well, the kids are loving it so...but I do get what you're saying.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am loving how everything is going so far! I hope to see more soon!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Obviously a character that is handsome so maybe Jata? ;)
Hm, that could work. I don't want to repeat myself and have Pete as the villain again (already did in my first fic), so maybe Jata could work.
I could see Jata … he's a "natural" for a Borderlands scenario.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well Handsome Jack does seem to be someone who ISN'T handsome so maybe another vain character?
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Well Handsome Jack does seem to be someone who ISN'T handsome so maybe another vain character?
Who would you go with?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm thinking Tiger could be pretty much like that when he's not stuffing his face thinking he is like an Adonis.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Hope I'm not late to the party! Been catching up on the fanfics that were updated in my absence
I'm really enjoying this so far, great characters :)
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Nathan Kerbonaut wrote:Hope I'm not late to the party! Been catching up on the fanfics that were updated in my absence
I'm really enjoying this so far, great characters :)
Ain't late! Just taking my time with this one :)
Nathan Kerbonaut

Sounds good, I can't wait :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hey, first computer in our house was a Commodore!