Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Legotron123

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Legotron123 »

I bought it for the exact same reason. Plus, it was on sale, and I’d never played a Star Fox game before.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The dogfights are fun enough. There's going to be further Switch version missions added in April.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

So, if rumors are true, then Xbox Game Pass will be coming to Switch...that would be awesome.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait what?

either that's a metaphor i'm not getting or you just implied microsoft and nintendo working together
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Buster wrote:wait what?

either that's a metaphor i'm not getting or you just implied microsoft and nintendo working together
Nope. Microsoft and Nintendo have been working togther alot lately (Like enabling cross-play with games such as Fortnite, Rocket League, and Minecraft) and there's talks that GamePass might be coming to the Switch, along with the Ori games.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

crossplay is less a case of 'working together' and more a case of 'not throwing a brick wall at devs and publishers like sony's been doing' since they're the ones who do all of the actual work.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It'll be nice if crossplay becomes the standard. If Microsoft and Nintendo manage to completely join together in that sense, Sony would basically have no choice but to join in too.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I watched the Gamexplain video talking about the possibilities in Gen 8 and it got me thinking about the past Gens. Here are my favorites in order.

1. Gen 4 Diamond, Pearl, Platinum (Not entirely sure why)
2. Gen 5 Black, White, Black 2, White 2 (Between Black and Black 2, they were pretty epic)
3. Gen 3 Ruby, Sapphire, Emerald (It had a lot there.)
4. Gen 2 Gold, Silver, Crystal (I love Johto but I like the others just slightly more)
5. Gen 1 Red, Blue, Yellow (Classic)
6. Gen 6 X & Y (It felt very hollow like it was missing something especially after Unova)
7. Gen 7 Sun, Moon, UltraSun, UltraMoon (Dull and honestly not well designed or executed.)
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I like the Johto version simply because that seems to have so much more to it which I guess makes sense since you have to go BACK to Kanto.

Oh, and also because when Kids WB was airing here, that is the season we stopped on before my idiot cable provider decided to drop the WB in favor of HSN.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

I liked the Red/Blue/Yellow days of Pokemon but, after Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald came out, I just lost interest as it just became too complex (Never liked the anime as...well I hated Ash :P )
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Sleet wrote:It'll be nice if crossplay becomes the standard. If Microsoft and Nintendo manage to completely join together in that sense, Sony would basically have no choice but to join in too.
or they could follow sega's example and sink millions into tech that winds up benefiting someone else more than them, get fed up, and abandon the hardware side of games development.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Felt the need to post this.

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Apparently we ARE getting a Pokémon direct this week,
https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica/sta ... 9923439616
Six AM pacific time, roughly seven minutes long. I call Gen 8.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It’s kinda obvious that we’re going to see the starters but I’m really hoping for the legendary Pokémon as well like in the final scene. If I’m being honest we’re probably only see silhouettes of them doing something dramatic followed by the names. I’m really hoping there’s not going to be a lot of fluff. GameXplain talked about it and I hate to agree but these first trailers do tend to montage then give a little. 7 mins or even six minutes of gameplay is unlikely. But even a minute of gameplay can shed a lot of details like the graphic design and gameplay mechanics. I hope they step away from Let’s Go but you know that is unlikely. I guess it wouldn’t be the worse thing I’d they kept the motion capture function but I really want something fully involved with this game. Like you know the pokeball plus will stil be usable which means the controls are going to basic.

I’m most excited about the starters. I’m still in the camp that the fire starter is going to be a goat. But I have no idea about the others. I wish those fake starters like the lemur and platypus were real because they were so awesome. I hope there some more creativity this time and hope they’re not weird. I love Incineroar but when I first saw him I was like Gahh! Primaina was beyond ridiculous and Deciueye didn’t make a lot of since just being a ghost type instead of simply sticking with flying all the way through. Let’s keep it simple like Sinnoh. Big turtle, fire monkey, and penguin. Simple but it works. They keep doing these weird trends like Delphox being a wizard and Greninja being a ninja while Chesnaught is nothing but off colored. This has been a huge problem with the fire types. Delphox’s Fire comes from a stick. A stick. How does that make since. Incineroar comes from the waist which is only because of the wrestler theme. Emboar fire came from its nose. What happened from fire breathing coming from the mouth. It’s bothers me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm hoping this generation will stop it with the trend of all Fire-types being able to learn Solarbeam also. I mean seriously? Why would a fire-type use solar plant energy plus it means their weakness to Water, Rock and Ground is pretty much negated. A Water-type learning an Ice-type move or a Ground-type move or a Rock-type learning a Fire-type move I get. A Fire-type learning what used to be the strongest Grass-type move kind of feels odd. :/
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm hoping this generation will stop it with the trend of all Fire-types being able to learn Solarbeam also. I mean seriously? Why would a fire-type use solar plant energy plus it means their weakness to Water, Rock and Ground is pretty much negated. A Water-type learning an Ice-type move or a Ground-type move or a Rock-type learning a Fire-type move I get. A Fire-type learning what used to be the strongest Grass-type move kind of feels odd. :/
37 Fire types can learn Solar Beam. It does make for a useful combo move if you combine it with Sunny Day. You have to think about it as gathering solar radiation and turning it into a energy. Like solar panels. What is strange is that Cryogonal can learn it.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Probably what gets me is that a lot of Fire-types that learn it now COULDN'T learn it initially so it just seems weird to me. I don't know. It just does. But Charizard now knowing it? Ninetales? Arcanine? I do have trouble seeing them use it based on the fact that I only ever had experience with the first three generations.

And yeah, I do know about that combo which is why I tend to associate Sunny Day with GRASS-types more than Fire-types. Especially if you use the Synthesis/Sunny Day combo. I'm fine with Fire-types learning it and thought it was pretty cool Houndour and Houndoom could, but giving it to all of the final evolutions of Fire-types that COULDN'T learn it before kind of irks me and I can't explain why.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

So said game? Pokemon Sword and Shield...eh it looks fine but something about it is just turning me off (Hey, at least we got a new MK11 trailer and my boy Johnny Cage is back...with one FUNNY fatality!)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

One day Plus and Minus. Until then we have the UK and a soccer bunny, an oogly lizard thing, and I Am Grooky.
I love Scorbunny. I haven’t loveed a starter this much in years. I banking on Grooky’s final evolution being Grass/Rock. Don’t know about the other two. Sobble final evolution can be water/psychic and Scorbunny can be Fire/Normal. Fire/steel? Lucario is a steel type so there is a precedent. Fire/Fairy is a strong possibility.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

scorbunny will obviously be Fire/Fighting :lol:
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

please no. that combo wore out it's welcome.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I agree. Delphox was a good change of pace, only to go right back the next gen. I've come across speculation for Fire/Fairy for Scorbunny's final.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have a feeling that someone at GameFreak really did dig the Fire/Fighting combo and tried to use it all the way through before they were told to stop because it was getting tiring and using a new type combination with it.

I was kind of annoyed when Hoenn came around and Treecko was the only one who didn't gain a secondary-type upon evolution (I initially thought it would be Grass/Flying) and thought they were doing that to say that Treecko was the least effective. I liked the bit I played of Sinnoh where all three had secondary-typing upon their final evolution (though I was a bit miffed that Chimchar got its secondary typing earlier). I don't know WHAT they were thinking in Unova giving only Tepig a secondary-typing after it evolves (which is where I believed the Fire/Fighting bias came in). I feel like they did Kalos and Alola well though more Kalos than Alola since in Alola Rowlet gets it secondary-typing sooner.

For Galar, it could be possible they could go the Johto route and not give any of the starter evolutions secondary-typing. If I had to guess though, they would be Grass/Fairy, Fire/Ground and Water/Poison.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

D-Rock wrote:I agree. Delphox was a good change of pace, only to go right back the next gen. I've come across speculation for Fire/Fairy for Scorbunny's final.
Incineroar is not Fire/Fighting, it’s Fire/Dark. He’s based on a heel wrestler.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

honestly i know it wont happen but think it'd be hilarious if all three wound up with self-contradictory subtypes like fire/ice or water/electric grass/flying etc..
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It's not like there wouldn't be precedence for a Grass/Flying type and a Water/Electric type. Hoppip's whole line is the dual Grass/Flying type though for some reason in the generation it came out in they COULDN'T learn any Flying-type moves (yet somehow started off with Splash) and Chinchou and its evolved form are Water/Electric. As for Fire/Ice, that would be interesting if it came out but not sure how you are gonna make a Pokemon like that.

The only thing I don't like about generation 4's second typing is the fact that both Torterra and Monfernape have secondary-typing that can be used to neutralize your rival's starter which had the type advantage against you but Empoleon didn't. Torterra's Ground-typing protects it from Monfernape and Monfernape's Fighting-typing stops Empoleon as it's a secondary Steel-type. Poor Empoleon doesn't have a secondary-typing to help against Torterra as Grass is super-effective against Water and Ground is super-effective against Steel. I would like a generation where your starter's secondary-typing is stronger than your rival's. Like Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic and Water/Fighting. Grass is weak against Fire but Dark is strong against Psychic. Fire is weak against Water but Psychic is strong against Fighting. Water is weak again Grass but Fighting is strong against Dark. Sort of a scenario like that.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It's not like the concept of fire and ice have not been played with in other games so what would a Pokemon of a fire/ice element look like? The Melting Pokemon which is essentially a block of ice slowly melting because of it's internal flame? Okay, that's a dumb idea but what about a Pokemon that breaths cold fire? Like a blue flame that is cold but burns like dry ice. The problem with that combination is that they are complete opposites like Electric and Grass which only exists with Mow Rotom which like Fire/Electric does not count. Electric/Ice as well.

What is interesting is that ice is so rarely used and even less so with other elements. Fire/Ice is the most obvious but there is also Poison, Normal, and the aforementioned Electric because Rotom doesn't count. Some other elements have been used once like Dragon and only for Kyurem. Then Steel and Fairy only have combos with ice because of the aloan forms. Should they even count?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It shocked me to learn that internet fans seem to think lowly about X and Y. Those games were like huge breaths of fresh air for me. They felt so alive and like a big step forward. The games had some very simple features which didn't need to happen but they included them anyway. And you could pick a fox starter.

To each their own I guess!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I absolutely loved X and Y. While the story was unarguably a step down from the games right before it, I absolutely loved the gameplay, the new Pokémon introduced were all great (Kelfki is one of my favorites), the starters especially were all great, and I can’t fully articulate how much I loved Mega Evolution. That being said, the story was kinda bland, the updated EXP share made it way to easy to become overpowered, and this Prozd video says all you really need to know about my thoughts on Lysander.

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

X and Y were big for their time. I also don't understand why people put up a fuss about it. I blame it on the Elite Four having just 4 pokemon. =\
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

My only issue with the later Pokemon games and the reason why I stick with R/B/Y is they got too complex for me (Tell the truth, I think Gen1 had the best story as it was simple and there was no world ending plot or some contrived reason why a kid has to save the world. It was just you battling gym leaders to get to the Elite Four and become the Pokemon Master...that's it).
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I have no real thoughts about X and Y other than I'm still furious that there was never a Z. It's not one of my favorites but it had its moments.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So there was no updated version of those two games?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Omega and Alpha came out in 2014 followed by Super Mystery Dungeon in 2015. Then of course Sun and Moon in 16 followed by UltraSun and UltraMoon. Then Let's Go came out last year. Sword and Shield this year. 2015 was the first time since 08 there was not a mainline game released instead subbing it for a Mystery Dungeon (that's if you count Let's Go as mainline).
Fun fact both HeartGold/SoulSilver and Omega/Alpha came out 11 years after the originals. Diamond and Pearl broke that pattern since they were not released last year. To be honest there is no guarantee that they will be released next year.
It all depends on what Nintendo and Gamefreak want to do for the 25th anniversary. They might do like they did with BW and only have 2 years (BW 2011 then B2W2 2012 then XY 2013) and then release Gen 9 for the 25th anniversary or DP or an updated version of Sword and Shield. If they follow the pattern set by both SM and BW then the updated versions of Sword and Shield (if they have one) will be released next year which could prolong DP's remake if they want to release Gen 9 for the 25th but that would mess up BW's remake which is due for 2022 if they followed the original 11 year gap. None of that includes a Let's Go sequel which is almost all but guaranteed following the original's success but that also depends on a variety of different variables including how much of Let's Go is included in Sword and Shield as well as it's overall reception. They might (this is my recommendation) include Let's Go aspects in Gen 9 like over world Pokemon and a more open world map (BoTW style) which would also mean that they would want to speed up Gen 9 for 2021 just because of that demand. This is because Sword and Shield are/is still in develop and Let's Go was only released only four-ish months ago and Gamefreak did not know how fans would respond to the Pokemon in the over world. Gen 9 will be a crucial addition to the series as it may or may not redefine the game's mechanic's for another 25 years.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

was anyone else excited for sims 4 strangerville? Just beat the story today and I think it was pretty fun.
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So there was no updated version of those two games?
Nope! No sequel (which Black and White got) and no third version (which every other generation got).
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Well! Vampire: The Masquerade Bloodlines 2 is real! AND is coming from Paradox Interactive next year!
Liam

Post by Liam »

And from what I've read it will be an actually playable, polished game this time.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I dunno...
Half life 3 finally materializing is more likely than a VTM game living up to expectations...
it's probably going to drop the ball on something.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So, now that the Best Buy leaks have made it practically official that Persona 5R is coming to Switch, I was wondering who else was going to pick it up. I’m certain going to, because while I have never played it before, this game is easily in my top five of video game soundtracks, with songs like Last Surpise, Blooming Villain, and Rivers in the Desert being among my favorite songs ever.