2019/03/22 - Nants Ingonyama Bagithi Baba

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Promidience

Re: 2019/03/22 - Nants Ingonyama Bagithi Baba

Post by Promidience »

I can't believe Rick denied us the image of the scene from the Lion King as played by Grape and Peanut. :o

Now that makes more sense to me from the last panel of the previous comic which I assumed was just the hearts showing how much love was just from them speaking but this is a whole different level of attraction that I expected from Grape. What's even more interesting is that as Tarot said "I was a mindreader" did that mean from the start she knew how much Grape felt and in doing so is she trying to push their relationship to be in a way? I'm surprised that Max went with what was going on and sang the song as they were "acting."

I woke up early just for this and I am not ashamed, I just pray for more Grapenut. I've got a sickness and the only thing that can cure it is more Grapenut.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I feel like Max would revert to his base habit of competing with another potential suitor if this relationship were to go polyamorous - plus there’s a deeper history between Grape and Peanut than Grape and Max, and I think he can sense that.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

At this point, i'm thinking it's going to be something of a thing between the four of them myself, but I still feel worried this is going to be one of those moments where Max is being put to the test. I'm hoping Max passes this without overthinking this.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Okay, I admit it. As little as I like Tarot, that voyeuristic look was AMAZING. 10/10. XD
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

OK, NOW I want to see that Lion King Imaginate they did!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

When she first intruded on the scene, Tarot informed Grape her romantic life was an either-or proposition - choose Peanut or Maxwell. That diktat was probably a transmission from Dragon. However, being a cat and a contrary sort, Grape has consistently followed her heart which encompasses both Peanut and Maxwell, a deep affection for Res, and at least goo-goo eye episodes for Satau/Mungo. ...and she doesn't feel obligated to magnify Max's insecurities by drawing him a detailed map.

So, I'm glad the good ship, "Grapenut", is never far from the horizon, even though poor Ol' Maxwell still has a home in Grape's romantic universe.

Now, where are we with Tarot in all this? That "mind reader" crack somehow sounds sinister.... :(
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

NHWestoN wrote:That "mind reader" crack somehow sounds sinister.... :(
Y'all got some paranoid way of reading the pom there. :P
How about: "Duh, Max. =P Of course I knew: I was a mind reader after all" :roll:
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Wow Tarot smiles like an evil overlord, whose plan is working according to plan.
Is that how she plans bringing Peanut and Grape together? Is that part of a plan set in motion years before?
I don't really think so, but that is one of a really evil smile.

Well it's more likely she finds it funny how the relationship between Max and Grape isn't much better than Peanut's and her own.
So will Tarot and Peanut begin to play counselors for Max and Grape?
Yeah, I think all for of them will end up in a counseling.
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

I'm still surprised. I guess a part of me did suspect that their relationship is polyamorous, it's just that the actual confirmation is pretty big. Hopefully Max doesn't mind and can accept that he's in this kind of relationship. I wouldn't want to see him not be comfortable with it and try to depart from the other three. He just needs a good heart to heart with all of 'em, eh?
also, looks like we need a new sig for the four of em
Argent

Post by Argent »

First panel Tarot is the best Tarot ever. THE BEST.
Postcard wrote:Why does Tarot look so smug?
Mind readers are appallingly smug. I mean wouldn't you be?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Conversation between Grape and Max at their Yarn Ball date

Max: "Is it just me or are there NO normal couples among us pets?"
Grape: " I'm not sure why that is; maybe it's because we're trying awfully hard to mirror humans."
Max: "...and you think we can't succeed?"
Grape: "Sure we can but without picking up baggage..."
Max: "What do you mean?"
Grape : "I mean I'd really like to get through my dating life without ending in the middle of a love triangle..."

Scene cut to a heartbroken Peanut watching a romantic movie. Three strips later, Tarot appears followed by Grape's observation "This girl's completely insane."

Interesting the variations on pet "relationships" over the years. King and Bailey get married; King used to be human. There are no other marriages to date although Miles and Lucretia, a very happy couple, seem to have thought of it. Besides "Grapenut", Jessica and Zach have a cross-species romance, again quite happy, devoted, and no marriage interest (any thoughts, Ink?) Like Grape, Sasha is the only other girl who's played the field. For now, she's seems quite committed to the new and improved not-dolt Kevin, but has passionate friendships with King and Fox. Unlike Grape, Sasha displays no attraction to other species (a la Mungo/Satau).

Tarot reads minds but she can't get on Peanut's wavelength … maybe she flunked high school chemistry. (It's okay, love - so did I.) ;)
Love's a many splendored thing, ain't it?
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Max's genuine surprise in this strip invalidates my earlier suspicions: he didn't seem to know how close Grape and Peanut were. Thus, he truly wanted Peanut to be with the girlfriend of his choice, and didn't say so to subtly keep him off Grape.
With this and his arc with Rufus just before, I'm liking here more and more :) He's getting kinder and kinder with time.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Now that I think about it's likely this started happening sometimes after the Housepets Babies! Arc considering the talk that Grape and Res had at the end of it. Comedy Tonight could have been their first date of sorts.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

That is the most smug dog I've ever seen. In awe of the strength of that defiant aura.
And don't lose your cool just yet, Max.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:I'm mildly curious if that imaginate happened when they had access to Trot's holodeck powers.
fenrirblack wrote:On a different note, I’m disappointed that Grape Finally flat out admitted that she has feelings for Peanut. It was long over due. But Now it makes everything weird. Her and Max’s relationship, Peanut and Tarots relationship, and if they did get together how would they tell their owners? I hope their is a little more explanation about the depth of their feelings for one another. When Peanut has the one sided crush it was cute if not a little sad. Now that it is reciprocated we have to ask ourselves is this like her feelings for Satau or Res or is this a different kind of love that puts her relationship with Max in jeopardy?
What are you talking about? Grape said admitted that back at the end of Imaginate, Too!.
It’s hard to take that seriously considering she starts off talking about she only has things for cats, then she says “your my best friend in the whole wide world...”, then it’s just mushy stuff followed by her literally going back to Max. I always interpreted it as best friend stuff. Friends do it all the time (at least on tv), they act mushy but there’s no real romantic interest only a sign of their plutonic relationship. The only thing she admitted was Peanut was her best friend and she loved him as a friend.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:I'm mildly curious if that imaginate happened when they had access to Trot's holodeck powers.
fenrirblack wrote:On a different note, I’m disappointed that Grape Finally flat out admitted that she has feelings for Peanut. It was long over due. But Now it makes everything weird. Her and Max’s relationship, Peanut and Tarots relationship, and if they did get together how would they tell their owners? I hope their is a little more explanation about the depth of their feelings for one another. When Peanut has the one sided crush it was cute if not a little sad. Now that it is reciprocated we have to ask ourselves is this like her feelings for Satau or Res or is this a different kind of love that puts her relationship with Max in jeopardy?
What are you talking about? Grape said admitted that back at the end of Imaginate, Too!.
It’s hard to take that seriously considering she starts off talking about she only has things for cats, then she says “your my best friend in the whole wide world...”, then it’s just mushy stuff followed by her literally going back to Max. I always interpreted it as best friend stuff. Friends do it all the time (at least on tv), they act mushy but there’s no real romantic interest only a sign of their plutonic relationship. The only thing she admitted was Peanut was her best friend and she loved him as a friend.
I always interpreted it as family dog/family cat love, in that they are affectionately lovable. Seems Rick was messing with us. x3
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Well, actually, that has to be expected from Tarot. :P What a face. 8-) But, you couldn't neither mimic what Grape and Peanut were thinking in such intimate moment, Tarot? :roll: Learn from them in some way! ;) And that's right, Maxwell knew about your feelings too, but I agree with him: you're really going too much deep into that... :P :D You have your respective partner since long time, Grape and Peanut. :) Interesting imaginate story you did. So, Maxwell was singing that song for you two? Wow, how sad for Max... :( It's he who had to take Simba's role...
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

GameCobra wrote:I always interpreted it as family dog/family cat love, in that they are affectionately lovable. Seems Rick was messing with us. x3
It's also possible Grape didn't really come to terms with her feelings until sometime after that point. Or that she didn't realize she like, like likes Peanut until after they'd been doing "mushy stuff" for a while.

It's also worth remembering that the characters' personalities have changed over time; Tarot started out a ditz but gradually became the cranky pomeranian we know and love today. Of course, she was letting Dragon mind control her a lot back then, but she didn't act much like Dragon either, though maybe Dragon was roleplaying/it kind of "breaks" your avatars a bit when you are a backseat driver a lot. I think the first time we saw her modern personality peek through was:

Last edited by Titanium Dragon on Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Just thinking. That statement in panel #1 about how Tarot used to be a mind reader"? It means she never had to ask anyone anything, ever. She just tended to know what was best for people and if they'd go along with it. She doesn't have that power now so she does have to ask things but, because she never had to before she never learned HOW to ask or spotted the signs that tell her she SHOULD ask.

She has no clue how interactions are actually supposed to work.

And that's not an evil smile, that's her trying to have a little joke with Max.

She doesn't have much clue about humour either.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Just thinking. That statement in panel #1 about how Tarot used to be a mind reader"? It means she never had to ask anyone anything, ever. She just tended to know what was best for people and if they'd go along with it. She doesn't have that power now so she does have to ask things but, because she never had to before she never learned HOW to ask or spotted the signs that tell her she SHOULD ask.

So she's still a child, per say, that has to learn this stuff still? Is that what you are getting at or did I misread your post?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So now we know that Max is a little bit thick then. He thought it was cute that Grape had some feelings for Peanut but not if they were as strong as they were shown. What did you think that she meant when she said it Max? Duh.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So now we know that Max is a little bit thick then. He thought it was cute that Grape had some feelings for Peanut but not if they were as strong as they were shown. What did you think that she meant when she said it Max? Duh.
Max is pretty oblivious, all right. Having said that, I hope he doesn’t get his heart broken and manages to keep a relationship with the others.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Don't Grape and Peanut have a romantic friendship?
TicoTaco

Post by TicoTaco »

Soerix wrote:Don't Grape and Peanut have a romantic friendship?
Well, judging by what Peanut and Grape we’re doing in the last strip, probably even more than that :lol:
WAKE UP AMERICA!!!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Soerix wrote:Don't Grape and Peanut have a romantic friendship?
At this point, it is clearly more than that.

Edit: To expand on my point here a bit they were clearly meant to be making out quite heavily in the previous strip (I mean look at Max's face) which this kind of thing clearly precludes, yeah it would include things that are normally not done between friends nowadays but I highly doubt that term was meant to include make out sessions.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TicoTaco

Post by TicoTaco »

I want to address this situation, I totally did not saw this one coming with what peanut and grape were doing in the previous strip (then again I think nobody did). It shows that Grape overtime was growing her relationship with Peanut to the point it becomes romanticly involved like with her/Max and Peanut/Tarot. It really does show how Grape over the ages became understanding with her romantic feelings (like when she showed interests in hunk lions and wolves). Rick totally dropped a bomb on us since I thought Grape took a stance with what she told Peanut about her romantic feelings. So far I’m totally pleased with this arc and anticipating what this relationship between Peanut/Grape/Max/Tarot is going moving forward. I hope Max will be able to accept with this kind of polyamorous relationship though.
WAKE UP AMERICA!!!
Frank

Post by Frank »

♪ ...and if... he falls... in love... tonight
♪ It can be asuuumed ♪
♪ His carefree days, with us are history ♪
♪ In short our pal is dooooomed! ♪

Now, did Max sing Timon or Pumbaa's part?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Frank wrote:♪ ...and if... he falls... in love... tonight
♪ It can be asuuumed ♪
♪ His carefree days, with us are history ♪
♪ In short our pal is dooooomed! ♪

Now, did Max sing Timon or Pumbaa's part?
All of them, i bet. That must've been fun :3
pokeblue

Post by pokeblue »

Wow, okay...appears my guess from the previous strip was off. I'm not sure how to feel, I mean, 'yay!' Peanut and Grape are totally still lovey-dovey and Grape seems cool with that at least from this and the previous strip, but at the same time, 'oof!', poor Max.

When I saw the previous strip, I was on the wave pattern that Max was blushing cause if Grape is that cuddly with Peanut, then she must be really cuddly with Max. Here's hoping things work out in the end.
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

This... This right here makes me happy. I don't know if I said it before, (my memory is bad, and I haven't been here in a while) but Tarot and Peanut never seemed to really click. Grape and Peanut always seemed like they would make a really cute couple, as they genuinely get along; there is no expectations for Peanut to be someone he isn't around Grape.

I really hope this is actually leading where it looks like <3
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

SeanWolf wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Just thinking. That statement in panel #1 about how Tarot used to be a mind reader"? It means she never had to ask anyone anything, ever. She just tended to know what was best for people and if they'd go along with it. She doesn't have that power now so she does have to ask things but, because she never had to before she never learned HOW to ask or spotted the signs that tell her she SHOULD ask.

So she's still a child, per say, that has to learn this stuff still? Is that what you are getting at or did I misread your post?
Sort of. Childhood is when we develop the abilities to manage these emotions and to work them. She never had to develop them in the same way. So, whereas she's fully grown in most regards, with regards these problems, she's very much still in the school phase.

Oh, oh. Something else I just realised. In that strip someone linked to, Tarot said that Grape might 'fully commit' to Peanut but that would break Maxwell's heart. I do hope that smile isn't because she's remembering the times she could 'see' the future fondly and has a future vision coming true right now...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

trekkie wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:So now we know that Max is a little bit thick then. He thought it was cute that Grape had some feelings for Peanut but not if they were as strong as they were shown. What did you think that she meant when she said it Max? Duh.
Max is pretty oblivious, all right. Having said that, I hope he doesn’t get his heart broken and manages to keep a relationship with the others.
She’s going to break his heart or he’s going to break hers. But I do see where Max was coming from. He’s used to her crushes and assumed whatever feelings she has for peanut were the same. I would assume at this point saying “that’s cute” is an automatic response Max has when it comes to Grape’s crushes. It’s not like she ever did anything with any of the others. I guess when it came to their plays, he really wanted to believe that it was all acting. But I do question why Peanut played Simba instead of Max and whether or not Max pitched a fit about it.

Anyway here’s a video that I think is a pretty accurate portrayal of this scene. https://youtu.be/SRTqDbSSQko

Wait, they actually used the word imaginated. That just feels wrong.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The only reason that I can think of is that Max wanted to play as Timon since they both are kind of laid back and might be considered a little bit prone to slacking off.
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

NHWestoN wrote:When she first intruded on the scene, Tarot informed Grape her romantic life was an either-or proposition - choose Peanut or Maxwell. That diktat was probably a transmission from Dragon. However, being a cat and a contrary sort, Grape has consistently followed her heart which encompasses both Peanut and Maxwell, a deep affection for Res, and at least goo-goo eye episodes for Satau/Mungo. ...and she doesn't feel obligated to magnify Max's insecurities by drawing him a detailed map.

So, I'm glad the good ship, "Grapenut", is never far from the horizon, even though poor Ol' Maxwell still has a home in Grape's romantic universe.
NHWestoN wrote:Interesting the variations on pet "relationships" over the years. King and Bailey get married; King used to be human. There are no other marriages to date although Miles and Lucretia, a very happy couple, seem to have thought of it. Besides "Grapenut", Jessica and Zach have a cross-species romance, again quite happy, devoted, and no marriage interest (any thoughts, Ink?) Like Grape, Sasha is the only other girl who's played the field. For now, she's seems quite committed to the new and improved not-dolt Kevin, but has passionate friendships with King and Fox. Unlike Grape, Sasha displays no attraction to other species (a la Mungo/Satau).

Tarot reads minds but she can't get on Peanut's wavelength … maybe she flunked high school chemistry. (It's okay, love - so did I.) ;)
Love's a many splendored thing, ain't it?
You sum things up so eloquently and make a persuasive argument. I've always considered the diversity (and complexity!) of relationships in HP! to be one of the comic's most beguiling charms.
Arvetis

Post by Arvetis »

OK, now I definitely ship Graxnot.

(credit to GameCobra for the name)
Yamitora1

Post by Yamitora1 »

I think they should switch and Max date tarot for a day
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

New Headcanon: Max let Peanut be the main character of The Lion King because he really wanted to be Scar.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Arvetis wrote:OK, now I definitely ship Graxnot.

(credit to GameCobra for the name)
Pretty sure i didn't come up with that. x3

A detail i'm liking in the third panel is Grape putting her finger into Max's chest while hugging him from behind. She's totally trying to get him in on this.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Good ol' Grape. Putting the "clue" in "inclusive" for poor, dear Maxwell....

Huh, um ……..okay …...what did I just say?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Pumkin6 wrote:New Headcanon: Max let Peanut be the main character of The Lion King because he really wanted to be Scar.
Scar is the best character.