2019/03/22 - Nants Ingonyama Bagithi Baba

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Dissension

2019/03/22 - Nants Ingonyama Bagithi Baba

Post by Dissension »

[ Nants Ingonyama Baghiti Baba ]

Title Text: It's enough for THIS wide-eyed wanderer

Sometimes, it hits you out of nowhere and that's never fun. Really, though, the signs were always there, if you were watching and paying attention.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/03/22 - Nants Ingonyama Bagithi Baba

Post by fenrirblack »

Hmmmmmmmmm, I wonder where this could go. ;)

Tarot's smug face is everything. :D
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

I mean, we all knew Max
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

Well, there we have it. I guess everyone's used to it with Max doing a bit of catch up. Love that smirk.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Wow, Tarot is really seeming to enjoy this. Are we entirely sure she’s not a masochist? :P

Yup, I think Max is a bit insecure in his relationship with Grape at this point.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

We didn't see exactly what Grape and Peanut were doing last strip, but at least we know now Grape's feelings were "a bit explicit". I'm trying to find a pun in the title, but there's hardly any consistent spelling to the opening lyrics and I think it's just another honest interpretation.
The cape comes with the promotion.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So this got turned on its head a bit. Grape has been into Peanut romantically, as in more than just a Best Friend, for a while now? If I am not misreading this, it recontextualizes some things like the date after babysitting Kings kids. So did Grape think she was in an open relationship with Max and Max just misunderstand? Maybe I'm reading this wrong but that is what I'm getting from this.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Huh.

Hmmmm...

Ok, i admit - this is a tough one to swallow. But I can't help but feel like Max is truly being tested with Grape.

Also, Peanut and Grape did Nala and Simba? D:
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:We didn't see exactly what Grape and Peanut were doing last strip, but at least we know now Grape's feelings were "a bit explicit". I'm trying to find a pun in the title, but there's hardly any consistent spelling to the opening lyrics and I think it's just another honest interpretation.
It's literally the first line of the song. Translated: [Here comes a lion, Father]
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Champion Wallace wrote:... Grape's feelings were "a bit explicit..."
Call me silly, but I believe Max was referring to what he witnessed, rather than Grape's feelings, though I suppose you wouldn't have one without the other!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Just one reveal after another, eh, Maxwell? And you're not the only one who noticed Grape's tail embrace of Peanut as the two walked home from their puppy-sitting ordeal, Ice ;) (See"Take the Long Way Home"; it's very beguiling.)
Postcard

Post by Postcard »

Why does Tarot look so smug? I'm starting to feel bad for Max.
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

Wait, hold up, so Grape did have romantic feelings for Peanut and Max knew? Or did he know? What exactly did Grape say to Max that Max thought was ‘cute’ yet still expresses shock at this?

I’m so confused.

Also, sidenote... Are... Are we...Are we getting a polyship? Is that what’s happening? Is that what’s going down?
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Looks like Max didn't read into the situation between Grape and Peanut nearly as much as he should've. :lol:
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So I guess Max saying about him being okay with Grape's flirtiness is all but bulk.
AgentJX7

Post by AgentJX7 »

I don't have a reaction image to sufficiently display the level of glee I'm currently experiencing. I am going to HATE waiting until Monday for the next comic.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

JageshemashFTW wrote:Wait, hold up, so Grape did have romantic feelings for Peanut and Max knew? Or did he know? What exactly did Grape say to Max that Max thought was ‘cute’ yet still expresses shock at this?

I’m so confused.

Also, sidenote... Are... Are we...Are we getting a polyship? Is that what’s happening? Is that what’s going down?
You know what at this point it's either polyship or Grapenut stays and the other couples break up. Maybe Max/Tarot happens? I have no other ideas.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

On a side note, wouldn't a Housepets-verse version of Lion King basically be Pridelands?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

There are...
SO MANY THINGS...
going through my mind...
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I just want to express I am very, very happy with this development just a bit shocked that it is actually happening for real.
leinglo wrote:On a side note, wouldn't a Housepets-verse version of Lion King basically be Pridelands?
Nah, Pridelands is more fantasy adventure IIRC. But on another side note of no real importance, I have always wondered if movies like Lion King would be Live action in the Housepets Universe rather than animated.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

IceKitsune wrote:
leinglo wrote:On a side note, wouldn't a Housepets-verse version of Lion King basically be Pridelands?
Nah, Pridelands is more fantasy adventure IIRC. But on another side note of no real importance, I have always wondered if movies like Lion King would be Live action in the Housepets Universe rather than animated.
I would think it would still be animated just with anthropomorphic animals like everything else. More realistic so to speak. Although the new live action movie would at least have a real cast instead of cgi characters
Commander Bevin

Post by Commander Bevin »

Housepets! It's never quite what you're expecting!
Champion Wallace

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:We didn't see exactly what Grape and Peanut were doing last strip, but at least we know now Grape's feelings were "a bit explicit". I'm trying to find a pun in the title, but there's hardly any consistent spelling to the opening lyrics and I think it's just another honest interpretation.
It's literally the first line of the song. Translated: [Here comes a lion, Father]
I know the title is based on the first lyrics (and all the non-english has painfully literal translations), I've just never seen it spelled that way so I was suspicious of a pun.
Dissension wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:... Grape's feelings were "a bit explicit..."
Call me silly, but I believe Max was referring to what he witnessed, rather than Grape's feelings, though I suppose you wouldn't have one without the other!
There was a little debate about whether Grape and Peanut were kissing in the previous strip, or just snuggling. I'm saying Max's line supports the idea that there was kissing because whatever they were doing was romantic looking enough to make Grape's feeling for Peanut explicit, or plain for anyone to see, instead of it just being an act.
JageshemashFTW wrote:Wait, hold up, so Grape did have romantic feelings for Peanut and Max knew? Or did he know? What exactly did Grape say to Max that Max thought was ‘cute’ yet still expresses shock at this?

I’m so confused.
I'm guessing Grape told Max she loves Peanut, and Max assumed she meant in a different way. There are so many meaning for the word "Love" in English.
fenrirblack wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
I would think it would still be animated just with anthropomorphic animals like everything else. More realistic so to speak. Although the new live action movie would at least have a real cast instead of cgi characters
Even if there are anthropomorphic lions and such, it still might be easier to do animation than for the director to work with a cast entirely made of wild animals.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Champion Wallace wrote:Even if there are anthropomorphic lions and such, it still might be easier to do animation than for the director to work with a cast entirely made of wild animals.
Well if they needed casting for a live-action version they could probably just turn to the nearest zoo for "actors." I'm sure any lions or hyenas in captivity would jump at the chance to earn a little extra for their meals, or whatever they would find valuable in exchange for the work.
AgentJX7

Post by AgentJX7 »

Champion Wallace wrote:Even if there are anthropomorphic lions and such, it still might be easier to do animation than for the director to work with a cast entirely made of wild animals.
I've always seen it as analogous to a mashup of the Lion King and Warrior Cats
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:We didn't see exactly what Grape and Peanut were doing last strip, but at least we know now Grape's feelings were "a bit explicit". I'm trying to find a pun in the title, but there's hardly any consistent spelling to the opening lyrics and I think it's just another honest interpretation.[
I know the title is based on the first lyrics (and all the non-english has painfully literal translations), I've just never seen it spelled that way so I was suspicious of a pun.
Really? I just googled Circle of Life lyrics and they all used this spelling.
Plus Disney so cartoons.
The Pridelands movies were most likely live action. I’m sure Hollywood would be the one exception to the way the world views ferals. Imagine going to Africa finding a pride of lions and saying “You want to be rich and famous?” They’re no fools.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

So my question now is how long has this been going on? Tarot clearly knew when she was still connected to Dragon so it was post-Imaginate, Too! but pre-Heaven is Not Enough pt. 1 or maybe even before The Gallifrax Protocol, I would assume. Depending on if the issues with Dragon stopped her ability to read minds permanently or if they eventually came back.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Y'know, Tarot, if you 'smiled' like you're doing in panel #1 more often less people might have issues with you?

The truth comes home to hurt ol’ Max
as he sees the depth of their feeling.
As true for him as it is for Tarot,
this fact shown whilst intervening.
Him for her and her for him
has often involved Peanut and Grape;
he just hasn’t usually noticed and asks
‘Is OUR relationship in such good shape?’
Grape sees nothing wrong here,
she let Max know long ago;
but there is a difference between talk, dear,
and putting it all out on show.
As the only one who didn’t see loves rule
Max was playing but playing the fool.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Ruska

Post by Ruska »

IceKitsune wrote:So my question now is how long has this been going on? Tarot clearly knew when she was still connected to Dragon so it was post-Imaginate, Too! but pre-Heaven is Not Enough pt. 1 or maybe even before The Gallifrax Protocol, I would assume. Depending on if the issues with Dragon stopped her ability to read minds permanently or if they eventually came back.
Well, I think Tarot knew from the get go. She gave Grape that ultimateum to choose to be with Peanut or Max when she first showed up.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Ruska wrote:Well, I think Tarot knew from the get go. She gave Grape that ultimateum to choose to be with Peanut or Max when she first showed up.
-goes to check- Huh. That's interesting.
I wonder how prophetically relevant Tarot's words back then are to the current time.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ruska wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:So my question now is how long has this been going on? Tarot clearly knew when she was still connected to Dragon so it was post-Imaginate, Too! but pre-Heaven is Not Enough pt. 1 or maybe even before The Gallifrax Protocol, I would assume. Depending on if the issues with Dragon stopped her ability to read minds permanently or if they eventually came back.
Well, I think Tarot knew from the get go. She gave Grape that ultimateum to choose to be with Peanut or Max when she first showed up.
At this point, it is clear that Tarot knew from the getgo that Grape was in some super serious denial about her feelings for Peanut. However, I was talking more about when Grape started to accept it and started dating Peanut, which in retrospect is kind of a stupid question to ask honestly as there is likely no real way to know without Rick just telling us.

Edit: realized I forgot a part there.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

You have to admit this kinda awesome. This is so classic storytelling. Very YA. You have the romantic conflict mixed with the darker undertones of the processing plot. Who will end up with who and how will it affect the outcome of the inevitable final battle to decide the fate of the world.

On a different note, I’m disappointed that Grape Finally flat out admitted that she has feelings for Peanut. It was long over due. But Now it makes everything weird. Her and Max’s relationship, Peanut and Tarots relationship, and if they did get together how would they tell their owners? I hope their is a little more explanation about the depth of their feelings for one another. When Peanut has the one sided crush it was cute if not a little sad. Now that it is reciprocated we have to ask ourselves is this like her feelings for Satau or Res or is this a different kind of love that puts her relationship with Max in jeopardy?
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

Tarot has literally known since the storyline where she was introduced. Grape tried to kick Tarot out because Tarot was crazy, but Tarot said that she couldn't leave unless Grape accepted Peanut, which Grape even said OKAY to, before Max conveniently showed up at the front door.
fenrirblack wrote:On a different note, I’m disappointed that Grape Finally flat out admitted that she has feelings for Peanut. It was long over due. But Now it makes everything weird. Her and Max’s relationship, Peanut and Tarots relationship, and if they did get together how would they tell their owners? I hope their is a little more explanation about the depth of their feelings for one another. When Peanut has the one sided crush it was cute if not a little sad. Now that it is reciprocated we have to ask ourselves is this like her feelings for Satau or Res or is this a different kind of love that puts her relationship with Max in jeopardy?
I'm pretty sure Grape's feelings for Res would be an enormous threat to their relationship if Res didn't live in Canada. She kind of has a tendency to blow Max off when Res is around.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I love Tarot's face; I love Max's confusion! I was wondering if we were going to see Max wasn't quite as comfortable with Grape's liberally applied feelings as he thought he was :P
Still, I think it's waaaaay too soon to call any relationship done here. We're just getting to the real opening up part.
fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:I know the title is based on the first lyrics (and all the non-english has painfully literal translations), I've just never seen it spelled that way so I was suspicious of a pun.
Really? I just googled Circle of Life lyrics and they all used this spelling.
Yeah, and Zulu has really consistent spelling, so I'd be surprised to see alternates (aside from "bagithi" > "bakithi") :?
OilPaws

Post by OilPaws »

Hmmm... I did not anticipate any of this. I'm also beginning to have doubts about my polyamorous projection. Perhaps instead, it'll end with: Max breaking things off with Grape, Tarot following suit with Peanut, and the Sandwich pets looking amongst one another in surprise. They'll both stew in an incredulous silence while thinking to themselves, 'well that happened'. Peanut will ask Grape if she wants to see a movie, and the final panel will be a parallel to them snuggling on the couch like they did the evening they spent with their significant others. Or at least, those are my predictions for the arc's conclusion... I truly have no idea whether any of these will bear fruit. I'm interested to find out though. : )
Please presume I have no idea what I'm doing; it's okay. I do not. : )
Niara

Post by Niara »

I admit, I'm pretty pleased with this development.

It gives us a clear lie of the land for their relationship situation:

Tarot and Peanut: comfortable together, but need to work on their one-to-one chemistry; both of them are comfortable with the other people in their relationship, and aware of them. Tarot is more than happy to take advice on how to improve her intimacy with peanut from Grape (and Max), knowing that Grape herself is sharing the kind of intimacy she'd like. Both Peanut and Tarot are now more aware of the failings of this aspect of the relationship and are having discussions revolving around improving it.

Tarot and Max: comfortable together in social and interpersonal situations, but don't have any direct intimacy other than the intimate bond of being parts of this relationship. Both are comfortable with this.

Tarot and Grape: much better friends and confidants than they were. Both are aware of the other sharing intimacy with Peanut, and share it with him in turn. Both are comfortable with this, and are willing to be there for and help each other when things are a little off.

Peanut and Grape: share an intimate relationship, and have done, likely in a gradually growing sense since they moved into sharing 'mushy stuff'. Both know and are comfortable with the others' other partners.

Peanut and Max: This dynamic needs more exploration, and hopefully we'll get more of that soon! They seem to be good friends and comfortable around each other, even to the point of engaging in mushiness with their other partners in their presence, and playing games with heavy intimate overtones with each other.

Grape and Max: Share an intimate relationship, however, there now appears to have been a miscommunication and misunderstanding about the other relationship dynamics that they're both a part of, and while Grape thought that Max was as comfortable with everything as she is, it appears that he didn't realise it was the way it is; Max is currently shocked, and his insecurity is likely to come to the fore here, but we don't yet know what the result will be. This is now the other major relationship aspect that the four of them need to look at and work on improving and making happier/more comfortable for everyone, especially Max. It will be interesting to see what happens here.

Tarot, Peanut and Grape: Seemingly a comfortable intimate relationship, with everyone aware of the others feelings and the extent to which things are shared. it's unclear whether they've played or shared intimate time as a trio, but it seems that it may be probably not, given Tarot's comments about mind-reading. It's likely that any three-person aspect of the relationship as it is would be side-lined out of an unwillingness to leave the fourth member out.

Tarot, Peanut and Max: Likely a predominately non-intimate aspect of the relationship, though it would be interesting to see this particular dynamic explored more. As with other three-person dynamics, they're rarely ever going to see any spotlight time, since at least two of the four are very unlikely to want to 'leave out' the fourth member if possible.

Tarot, Grape and Max: Similar to the above dynamic, it's largely unexplored, though seems more likely to contain comfortably intimate moments than the above. Also not likely to see any full exploration, since circumstances excluding one member of the four are rare.

Peanut, Grape and Max: A difficult dynamic, in the current state, in that it appears to have been a comfortably intimate relationship dynamic in the past, but only by virtue of some misunderstandings and a miscommunication of the level of seriousness involved. The fact that Max was comfortable with situations of intimate roleplay in this dynamic shows that it is healthy in principle, and quite likely to return to that, but only once Max has been shown the care and respect he needs to feel like a legitimate part of the four, as a whole.

Peanut, Grape, Tarot and Max: the full group dynamic appears to be, by and large, comfortably intimate and comfortable both showing, acting upon and discussing the different aspects of their intimate relationship with each other. They share intimate behaviour comfortably in each others' company and engage in gameplay with heavy intimate overtones with each other as a group. As with some above dynamics, there are two main aspects that need attention and care from the whole group, but the recent comics make it seem more clearly that the most important thing for them to take care of is actually Max's difficulties. Max seems like he would be perfectly happy in this dynamic and the other dynamics of the relationship as well, if he felt more secure about his own legitimate place in them. He has a chip that makes him seem to feel like he is competing, and losing, and the sooner the others can show him that he is a valid part of what they are, and wanted, the happier they'll be able to resolve things.

Those are the interpersonal dynamics that exist and need consideration in this relationship, and most of them actually appear to be quite healthy already, as it turns out, with only two main aspects that need more attention, care and work... and it looks like we're in the process of looking at both of them.

I say "in this relationship", because the feeling I'm getting at this point is not that the odd surprise is that we're getting a poly relationship represented... but quite possibly that we've HAD one, for quite possibly a fair while now, and that it's just never needed to be trotted out into the spotlight to any massively overt degree... and if so, I can be happy about that, especially if it means bringing Max in out of his uncertainty properly, and that being the last marker point for it being formally out in the open now.
Last edited by Niara on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Nicely put :D
Champion Wallace

I'm mildly curious if that imaginate happened when they had access to Trot's holodeck powers.
fenrirblack wrote:On a different note, I’m disappointed that Grape Finally flat out admitted that she has feelings for Peanut. It was long over due. But Now it makes everything weird. Her and Max’s relationship, Peanut and Tarots relationship, and if they did get together how would they tell their owners? I hope their is a little more explanation about the depth of their feelings for one another. When Peanut has the one sided crush it was cute if not a little sad. Now that it is reciprocated we have to ask ourselves is this like her feelings for Satau or Res or is this a different kind of love that puts her relationship with Max in jeopardy?
What are you talking about? Grape said admitted that back at the end of Imaginate, Too!.
As for what they would tell their owners, unlike most pets they already live together so there wouldn't be an issue there. If they talked to their parents about their feelings for each other, their reaction would probably be something like "Aww, super cute" or "Arg, Grape! I'm in the shower!".
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

Champion Wallace wrote:I'm guessing Grape told Max she loves Peanut, and Max assumed she meant in a different way. There are so many meaning for the word "Love" in English.
Saturn381 wrote:So I guess Max saying about him being okay with Grape's flirtiness is all but bulk.
Or, you know, it's a classic case of One Dialogue, Two Conversations. Max is okay with Grape's cat-crushes because he knows they aren't serious. Grape thinks Max is okay with her cat crushes because he just accepts that she's like that. Max assumed her cat crushes meant one thing, Grape had explained them to Max but didn't realize he thought she meant something else.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Interesting. Part of Max might have known but he didn’t want to admit it because he was afraid that doing so would mean Grape would break up with him. He in insecure as a rule and probably needs reassurance that Grape still truly cares about him as much as she cares for Peanut. He is also so far as we know the only one who had been in a relationship before, so he might have a sick feeling that he is going to get dumped again. I believe that a poly relationship can work once Max is reassured, that he is a valued part of it, and he in turn accepts Grape’s feelings for Peanut.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller