2018/12/28 - Solo Run

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Bandit1990

Re: 2018/12/28 - Solo Run

Post by Bandit1990 »

Champion Wallace wrote:I was confused at first because words like winning or losing don't really apply to a DM. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's kinda like how bizarre it would be to spectate a soccer game and bet on the referee. That's not to say there's no meaning to success and failure. Generally speaking a DM is happy when the players are happy because that means things went according to plan (or hilariously diverted from the plan). However, I realized that Lester isn't a normal DM; he has a clear goal of killing off player characters. In that sense if Kitsune's character survives than Lester will have "lost". It may be foolish to say Lester is on par with a demigod, but I think he is enough of a nerd to know more about D&D than Kitsune. It's possible Kitsune could magic the dice rolls to go his way, but he's still confined by the rules of the game and Lester should know those by heart. If worst comes to worst, there is a rule in the Dungeon Masters' Guide on page 6 that in layman's terms says the DM's word supersedes the rulebooks. It's basically the nuclear option, but it's within the rules (whether it's within his principles in a different question) for Lester to dish out literally inescapable death to the player characters.

Especially considering how heavily this group likes to house rule. We all remember the required reading for their 3.5 setup, and even if they moved to 5e (which they really should have by now, it's much better than 4) there's plenty of optional rules for that as well.

I'm not sure what I want to see more, watching GK knock Lester down a peg or two would be satisfying, (and he's totally asking for it). On the other hand watching Lester hard-nose GK through a solo run of Tomb of Horrors would be entertaining as well, in it's own way :twisted:

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
yugijak

Post by yugijak »

I was sympathetic for Lester until I discovered he's a malevolent DM.

Kitsune is the perfect match for him.

This should be fun. I missed Kitsune.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Gameb18oy wrote:... out of curiousity... does savestate ever... not feel like it’s crowbarring in video game references? I swear, the artwork is decent, but I can’t get into as the dialogue... it feels kinda like Big Bang theory in that it seems like references to stuff nerds like is funny on its own
well, one of the flaws with using references as jokes, is if you're doing it right they're inside jokes only the people who know the source material in depth will even know are there, so you can't really build a series around them. Savestate, much like other comics before them, are guilty of giving the references more focus than necessary, rendering subtlety impossible. they get it, but they're trying too hard.

big bang theory on the other hand, atleast from the three episodes i managed to stomach watching of it back when it started, seemed to be making the refrences overly blatant intentionally. as if it expected no one to get them otherwise, yet without actually understanding the majority of them themselves. one of the reasons i hate it.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Bandit1990 wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:I was confused at first because words like winning or losing don't really apply to a DM. It's not a perfect analogy, but it's kinda like how bizarre it would be to spectate a soccer game and bet on the referee. That's not to say there's no meaning to success and failure. Generally speaking a DM is happy when the players are happy because that means things went according to plan (or hilariously diverted from the plan). However, I realized that Lester isn't a normal DM; he has a clear goal of killing off player characters. In that sense if Kitsune's character survives than Lester will have "lost". It may be foolish to say Lester is on par with a demigod, but I think he is enough of a nerd to know more about D&D than Kitsune. It's possible Kitsune could magic the dice rolls to go his way, but he's still confined by the rules of the game and Lester should know those by heart. If worst comes to worst, there is a rule in the Dungeon Masters' Guide on page 6 that in layman's terms says the DM's word supersedes the rulebooks. It's basically the nuclear option, but it's within the rules (whether it's within his principles in a different question) for Lester to dish out literally inescapable death to the player characters.

Especially considering how heavily this group likes to house rule. We all remember the required reading for their 3.5 setup, and even if they moved to 5e (which they really should have by now, it's much better than 4) there's plenty of optional rules for that as well.

I'm not sure what I want to see more, watching GK knock Lester down a peg or two would be satisfying, (and he's totally asking for it). On the other hand watching Lester hard-nose GK through a solo run of Tomb of Horrors would be entertaining as well, in it's own way :twisted:
I have a feeling by the end of this chapter we're all going to learn a lot about D&D because most of this ^ went right over my head. Clearly I've never played D&D before and therefore no literally nothing about it.
I feel like if Lester makes it through this chapter with his sanity than he would have won. I mean this is Kitsune we're talking about. Although it would not be the worst thing for Lester to get knocked down a few pegs, not as a DM but generally as a person. I mean most of the times we've seen him, he's been a total jerk and snob.

I also find it fascinating that Kitsune keeps popping up and "adjusting" all these characters. Now that Pete and Dragon are gone, and King is in his little suburban bubble, he needs to find a new sucker to work on. Lester does need an attitude adjustment but why Kitsune seriously has nothing better to do than mess with random characters is beyond me.
Buster wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:... out of curiousity... does savestate ever... not feel like it’s crowbarring in video game references? I swear, the artwork is decent, but I can’t get into as the dialogue... it feels kinda like Big Bang theory in that it seems like references to stuff nerds like is funny on its own
well, one of the flaws with using references as jokes, is if you're doing it right they're inside jokes only the people who know the source material in depth will even know are there, so you can't really build a series around them. Savestate, much like other comics before them, are guilty of giving the references more focus than necessary, rendering subtlety impossible. they get it, but they're trying too hard.
*Gets on soap box*
The thing about Savestate is that you have to look beyond the references to find it funny. Take the strip i posted for example. I have no idea what the lemming's game they are referring to is but what was truly funny about that was the rest of the strip. If you focus solely on the references then you lose something. There are plenty of references but most of the time they take a small portion of what is really going on in the comic. There is so much more to it like the entire concept of Harvey and Ness who add a supernatural twist to a comic that is about two dogs playing video games and other pop culture references. True that there was the entire month that they spent doing a Sea of Thieves story (which I try to block out entirely) but beyond that there is plenty of other stuff. They went to the beach and had zero video game references. There was the summer festival not long ago that had very little references (aside from Majora's Mask) and the ones they did have, you did not need to know about. Kade cutting himself was funny without knowing what he was wearing or where it came from. The ones where they are actually playing the games, yeah it helps to understand it but the rest of the time, you don't need to understand the references. At most all you need to know is what a XBOne, Switch, 3DS, and PS4 is to truly appreciate the humor. Even then the ratio between references and non references is large.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

who says lester is the only one he's doing things with? with the game over, he's no longer bound by the conventional rules of causality and space time. he could be trolling several trillion people across a billion realities simultaneously.
fenrirblack wrote:*Gets on soap box*
The thing about Savestate is that you have to look beyond the references to find it funny. Take the strip i posted for example. I have no idea what the lemming's game they are referring to is but what was truly funny about that was the rest of the strip. If you focus solely on the references then you lose something. There are plenty of references but most of the time they take a small portion of what is really going on in the comic. There is so much more to it like the entire concept of Harvey and Ness who add a supernatural twist to a comic that is about two dogs playing video games and other pop culture references. True that there was the entire month that they spent doing a Sea of Thieves story (which I try to block out entirely) but beyond that there is plenty of other stuff. They went to the beach and had zero video game references. There was the summer festival not long ago that had very little references (aside from Majora's Mask) and the ones they did have, you did not need to know about. Kade cutting himself was funny without knowing what he was wearing or where it came from. The ones where they are actually playing the games, yeah it helps to understand it but the rest of the time, you don't need to understand the references. At most all you need to know is what a XBOne, Switch, 3DS, and PS4 is to truly appreciate the humor. Even then the ratio between references and non references is large.
uh, fen, did you forget who you're talking to?
<= Massive nerd, and someone who prefers Savestate over Housepets, Remember? I was a fan of harvey's antics before i even knew who King was, and i'm well aware of the things Savestate does right, and 'wrong'. my comment was only in regards to the use of refrences as a source of humor, not as a plot driver, or how it can be offset by secondary story elements.
Last edited by Buster on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I think that's beyond his pay grade. Why would he want to do that and plus I think you're overestimating his power.
Buster wrote: uh, fen, did you forget who you're talking to?
<= Massive nerd, and someone who prefers Savestate over Housepets, Remember? I was a fan of harvey's antics before i even knew who King was, and i'm well aware of the things Savestate does right, and 'wrong'. my comment was only in regards to the use of refrences as a source of humor, not as a plot driver, or how it can be offset by secondary story elements.
It wasn't just you who I was speaking too as much as the general community of people who do not like and/or understand Savestate. But yes I might have misinterpreted your post.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

two counters to that.
firstly, boredom can be one heck of a motivator, when it comes to doing stupid and/or pointless things.

secondly, he's been shown on panel undoing dragon accidentally blowing up earth. compared to that creative use of timetravel to be in multiple places a once is child's play.
Last edited by Buster on Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

fenrirblack wrote:Lester does need an attitude adjustment but why Kitsune seriously has nothing better to do than mess with random characters is beyond me.
I mean he's immortal, un-employed, and exists outside of regular time. It's not like he's on a tight schedule. :lol:
fenrirblack wrote:I have a feeling by the end of this chapter we're all going to learn a lot about D&D because most of this ^ went right over my head. Clearly I've never played D&D before and therefore no literally nothing about it.
To explain the things I said, The current edition of D&D is 5e. In "Doghouse Rules," Joey states that his group was still playing 3.5, which was an update to 3rd edition, because they didn't like 4e. This was a common thing as 4e changed a lot of the basic structure of the game and playstyle, so a lot of long time fans had difficulty adjusting. This division is actually what allowed Pathfinder to rise to some prominence in RPG circles. 5e, on the other hand, is a return to form, so to speak. It plays kind of like a mix of 2nd and 3rd edition with a few modern gaming conventions tossed in.

And The Tomb of Horrors is an infamously difficult adventure module. It's basically a huge maze filled with death traps, designed for a full party of at least 10th level characters.

Hope that helps,

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Buster wrote:two counters to that.
firstly, boredom can be heck of a motivator, when it comes to doing stupid and/or pointless things.

secondly, he's been shown on panel undoing dragon accidentally blowing up earth. compared to that creative use of timetravel to be in multiple places a once is child's play.
Boredom only goes so far when you have limited power. Plus fixing one broken earth is still nothing compared to simultaneously being in a billion different universes at once. His power might not extend past one universe at a time. Whenever he is in one universe he has nigh unlimited power but it might not extend past that particular space/time. He of all people would know that time travel has consequences when done improperly so even for someone like him that could be difficult to pull off and still keep the fabric of space/time in tact.
Bandit1990 wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Lester does need an attitude adjustment but why Kitsune seriously has nothing better to do than mess with random characters is beyond me.
I mean he's immortal, un-employed, and exists outside of regular time. It's not like he's on a tight schedule. :lol:
fenrirblack wrote:I have a feeling by the end of this chapter we're all going to learn a lot about D&D because most of this ^ went right over my head. Clearly I've never played D&D before and therefore no literally nothing about it.
To explain the things I said, The current edition of D&D is 5e. In "Doghouse Rules," Joey states that his group was still playing 3.5, which was an update to 3rd edition, because they didn't like 4e. This was a common thing as 4e changed a lot of the basic structure of the game and playstyle, so a lot of long time fans had difficulty adjusting. This division is actually what allowed Pathfinder to rise to some prominence in RPG circles. 5e, on the other hand, is a return to form, so to speak. It plays kind of like a mix of 2nd and 3rd edition with a few modern gaming conventions tossed in.

And The Tomb of Horrors is an infamously difficult adventure module. It's basically a huge maze filled with death traps, designed for a full party of at least 10th level characters.

Hope that helps,
I think I understood most of that. :lol:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:who says lester is the only one he's doing things with? with the game over, he's no longer bound by the conventional rules of causality and space time. he could be trolling several trillion people across a billion realities simultaneously.
fenrirblack wrote:*Gets on soap box*
uh, fen, did you forget who you're talking to?
I’ll freely admit I don’t know much about savestate so take what I say with a mild grain of salt, but I don’t think I can see the appeal, it looks like the elements that made it difficult for me to seriously read it are still there. There’s a lot of unnatural sounding dialogue and references are a little cringy at times and I actively hated the male dog. Don’t tell me the two main characters inheriting a mansion from an implied Scooby doo wasn’t a lackluster way to start. And before you get onto me for only reading the first for comics, it was taking forever for it to give me something to hook onto, when would you guys say the comic improved at? Maybe I can give it another chance if I know the point roughly where the writer found their rhythm.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Let's move the Savestate discussion to PMs please :P

Kitsune has said that he is already everywhere all the time, so presumably he can keep track of himself in multiple places at once with relative ease
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So does that mean he can astral project or are there multiple clones of himself?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It was described in the Percy Jackson series as a system where a gods essence is basically one main form with small portions of the power divided across the world. Like Zygarde’s 50% form and it’s 10% forms. That way it could be in multiple places but still come together as the complete form of 100%. That’s how I see Kitsunes power. For him to say everywhere all the time was an over exaggeration considering it’s Kitsune and you have to take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt. The statue for example could only be s a small percentage of his essence while the rest exists elsewhere.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:It was described in the Percy Jackson series as a system where a gods essence is basically one main form with small portions of the power divided across the world. Like Zygarde’s 50% form and it’s 10% forms. That way it could be in multiple places but still come together as the complete form of 100%. That’s how I see Kitsunes power. For him to say everywhere all the time was an over exaggeration considering it’s Kitsune and you have to take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt. The statue for example could only be s a small percentage of his essence while the rest exists elsewhere.
Never expected to hear about Percy Jackson here... anyone else hate how Rick Riordan forgets about what he establishes in his own world... also, the egypt stories sucked, and Riordan was a bit of a coward considering he didn't keep the furry gods furry, see anubis being described like one of the jonas brothers rather than a Jackal
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Here’s something I’ve always wondered about, why does Dragon have the eye of Horus? It never made sense to me beyond the fact that her temple was set in Egypt. Honestly it would have more since for Pete to have it since he is part bird.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Perhaps she was the originator of the symbol :D
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote:Perhaps she was the originator of the symbol :D
Obbi, I'm guessing you don't know about the egyptian pantheon if you're thinking Dragon could be the originator... though I suppose Rick could change that part of history... you know it might have made sense to make Dragon a sphinx considering where she set herself up, but hindsight is 20/20
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

That's the thing though, according to Peanut, Dragon would have originated before the deities. So theoretically she would have been the one to give it but then it would raise the question of why a falcon headed man came about from a dragon who looks like she should be from China.

One thing Rick does not do well is try to incorporate real world mythology into the comic. Between Dragon's relation to ancient Egypt and that time Dragon fought a Frost Giant somewhere in Yggdrasil (which was never explained of how that works). Cerberus was the one character he did do well. It's funny when people bring it up and she's goes "promotion." That was nice. He did a better job just creating his own gods and religions like with Heaven and Pandemonium. Bahamut was right too. Plus it still opens the door for Kuyutha if he wanted to go that way. I'm all for incorporating gods and what-not into stories, I mean I do it all the time, but I feel like it helps to have some firm logic behind it to support any edits that are made.

On the subject of the Frost Giant, Aurelmir:
"Aurgelmir, also called Ymir, in Norse mythology, the first being, a giant who was created from the drops of water that formed when the ice of Niflheim met the heat of Muspelheim. Aurgelmir was the father of all the giants; a male and a female grew under his arm, and his legs produced a six-headed son. A cow, Audumla, nourished him with her milk. Audumla was herself nourished by licking salty, rime-covered stones. She licked the stones into the shape of a man; this was Buri, who became the grandfather of the great god Odin and his brothers. These gods later killed Aurgelmir, and the flow of his blood drowned all but one frost giant. The three gods put Aurgelmir’s body in the void, Ginnungagap, and fashioned the earth from his flesh, the seas from his blood, mountains from his bones, stones from his teeth, the sky from his skull, and clouds from his brain. Four dwarfs held up his skull. His eyelashes (or eyebrows) became the fence surrounding Midgard, or Middle Earth, the home of mankind."
Last edited by fenrirblack on Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Well, if we're going to actually delve that way rather than the Egyptians just co-opting a symbol that's been important to them but with little context for generations, perhaps it's just a connection between "flying beast who speaks" being translated onto the falcon. Stranger things have happened
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Can two people even play D&D by themselves? The GM doesn't do anything besides set the rules and story. So based on my limited understanding of the game, Lester's only real job would be too guide Kitsune's one character. Lester shouldn't even have a character participating in the game. So it would be a solo quest? That's doesn't sound like a lot of fun. No wonder Joey and Dallas bailed.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Solo games are a thing, although D&D isn't the best system to run one in. Also, while you're right about the DM's role, they can send along an NPC to bolster up a missing role. Ideally they would act as pure support and keep to the background so as to not pull fucus from the player(s), but this is Lester, so good luck.

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Again, too bad Joey and Dallas didn't stay … this might be a short game.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

NHWestoN wrote:Again, too bad Joey and Dallas didn't stay … this might be a short game.
Assuming Rick wants to end his last arc at the end of the year, that might be the point
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

OUCH. Poor Lester...…
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Again, too bad Joey and Dallas didn't stay … this might be a short game.
Assuming Rick wants to end his last arc at the end of the year, that might be the point
I assuming this one will last roughly around the same amount of time as the previous one. 5 weeks or so. Long enough to school Lester and get a few laughs.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Just the revelation that Lester is "educable" sounds intriguing.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Am I the only one, who thinks it's kinda cute how Joey wants to go through the snow just to get to his girlfriend?
I know he is young and probably pretty naive with many things, but I still think it adorable :lol:

Poor Joey, always overshadowed by his brothers.
Argent

Post by Argent »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:Am I the only one, who thinks it's kinda cute how Joey wants to go through the snow just to get to his girlfriend?
Also Spa!
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:Am I the only one, who thinks it's kinda cute how Joey wants to go through the snow just to get to his girlfriend?
I know he is young and probably pretty naive with many things, but I still think it adorable :lol:

Um, not that I disagree, but we rarely see Fido lately so he’s almost become a “no opinion” character over time, and Bino’s popular only in the sense we all know about him, he’s not a well liked character. Honestly both based on how often he appears and his personality, I kinda feel like he overshadows his bros.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Bino not being well-liked is an understatement. The other GODC members only put up with him because he was Fido's brother so he's like Fido to them but without being a cat-lover. If there was a chance to oust him I have no doubt that they would. He probably is the most hated character in the neighborhood and that is entirely his own fault. Once the others see him for who he really is, they turn on him. It happened with Fox who now can't stand him and put him in the vet's office twice.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I kinda wonder why Kitsune is not visiting Bino and giving him a lesson in how to be a decent living being. Maybe Kitsune has a checklist.
Gameb18oy wrote:

Um, not that I disagree, but we rarely see Fido lately so he’s almost become a “no opinion” character over time, and Bino’s popular only in the sense we all know about him, he’s not a well liked character. Honestly both based on how often he appears and his personality, I kinda feel like he overshadows his bros.
But at the same time both Bino and Fido have gotten a lot more development. It is true that both Bino and Fido have gotten demoted as far as screen time goes but we still rarely see Joey too. I mean he left so we're not even seeing him now either. We saw more of Fido in the last chapter than we'll see of Joey in this one. Even in the Temple Crashers, it was never about Joey. The times he was shown he was still more background character than the others. Lester had more screen time and lines. The other problem with Joey is that the doesn't stand out. His most remarkable characteristic is that he's dating Squeak and he's a cat envier. Joey doesn't have enough substance to stand on his own unlike his brothers. Joey is almost always with the nerds.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Joey is something of a "third wheel". Although he ditched the stupid "cat suit", probably at Squeak's command, he hasn't really developed on his own very much.

Certainly an interesting episode could be spun around him and his relationship to his brothers, especially to Fido "the wonder dog". Bino and Fido seem permanently alienated, but neither seems to acknowledge poor Joey at all. For a time, he looked to be getting closer to Peanut through their shared interest in comic art, but that died pretty quickly.

Now, Joey's more or less just a "vehicle" for Squeak (pun intended) and seems fated to remain fixed in that role.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I feel it’s a little odd saying Joey hasn’t developed much considering he’s probably the most different from how he was introduced, even compared to King in some respects. I would enjoy a joey focused arc sometime soon. Maybe something like instead of the usual stuff with how the Spot comics are handled now (Peanut shows up to Joey, Joey gets upset about him drawing comics instead of following the lessons he sets up, comic is shown to us the viewers, end with a punchline from Joey showing despite how things may look, Peanut is not learning anything) maybe we see how they interact during that time Joey is reading the comics. I mean you can be forgiven for forgetting, but Joey is kinda in Peanut’s Circle and yet that’s the only time we know they interact. Not only would it allow us to see more of the artistic side of Joey which is more implied than shown, but it might allow Peanut a chance to develop as well. It be nice to see Peanut take the effort to take things seriously once in awhile. I mean, I like how silly and enthusiastic Peanut is, but you can have those traits and also pick up some maturity, something I really wish Peanut was trying to do intentionally.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I said it once and I’ll say it again but Joey and Dallas leaving was poor judgement. I can’t make any final decisions until the end of the chapter and see how it all plays out but for right now I don’t understand why we’re losing a perfectly good opportunity to develop all the nerds instead of just Lester. Dallas is the least developed of the three. He’s the real third wheel of the group. Joey has a lot going for him but is consistently pushed to the sidelines and all that potential goes to waste.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

fenrirblack wrote:I said it once and I’ll say it again but Joey and Dallas leaving was poor judgement. I can’t make any final decisions until the end of the chapter and see how it all plays out but for right now I don’t understand why we’re losing a perfectly good opportunity to develop all the nerds instead of just Lester. Dallas is the least developed of the three. He’s the real third wheel of the group. Joey has a lot going for him but is consistently pushed to the sidelines and all that potential goes to waste.
I think Dallas is one character in need of development. He's far too adorable to just fade into the background.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

NHWestoN wrote:Although he ditched the stupid "cat suit", probably at Squeak's command
I highly doubt Squeak, as a supportive friend and significant other, has any intention of quashing one of Joey's creative outlets (especially given how much she enjoys roleplay.) I also would personally hope that statement doesn't extend to the many real world fursuiters who put so much time and effort into their hobby.
fenrirblack wrote:I said it once and I’ll say it again but Joey and Dallas leaving was poor judgement.
I'm interested to get more on Dallas and Joey as well, but I'd rather not discuss how "poor" Rick's judgement is to not give me the arc that I want rather than the arc that he wants to tell. There's plenty of time for Rick to tell that arc whenever he feels like he has a good enough story for it.
CanzetYote wrote:I think Dallas is one character in need of development. He's far too adorable to just fade into the background.
^All of this! :D He's super adorable!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Heaven's, no, Obbi. Always struck me as more Halloweenish than furry.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

CanzetYote wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:I said it once and I’ll say it again but Joey and Dallas leaving was poor judgement. I can’t make any final decisions until the end of the chapter and see how it all plays out but for right now I don’t understand why we’re losing a perfectly good opportunity to develop all the nerds instead of just Lester. Dallas is the least developed of the three. He’s the real third wheel of the group. Joey has a lot going for him but is consistently pushed to the sidelines and all that potential goes to waste.
I think Dallas is one character in need of development. He's far too adorable to just fade into the background.
Dallas is again the least developed of the three and adorable. With so many characters to cycle through the odds of seeing them again anytime soon is fairly small besides at the end when they will both most likely reappear and see that Lester has been scarred for life. ;)
Both Joey and Dallas need developing either as characters or just as nerds but they're gone and it's a missed opportunity. Joey is an artist and Lester is really big into anime. Dallas is really into Star Trek. That's it. Not to mention their relationship to one another. How much do we know about their friendship besides the fact they are big into table-top games? :|

Plus I don't think anyone explained what the alt-text was referring too.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wanna say it is referring to a the snow jacket that Dallas got being his first gift ever and because somebody was nice to him to give him it, it made him cry.

The quote itself is actually referring to the SpongeBob Squarepants episode "No Weenies Allowed" when SpongeBob was refused access into the Salty Spittoon.

SpongeBob: Too tough for me? That's downright ridiculous. I'll have you know I stubbed my toe last week while watering my spice garden, and I only cried for twenty minutes.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Let me ask this then, are his arms stretched like that because he's exasperated about not going to the spa or can he not lower his arms due to the jacket? Because when I first saw it I assumed it was the latter but now I realize that might be too silly even for Dallas. I still imagine him walking down the street without being able to lower his arms. :lol: