Let's talk about the FORUM!!?!

What are we doing!?
FlanDab

Re: Let's talk about the FORUM!!?!

Post by FlanDab »

Silly Zealot wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I like the staff
i don't like that the activity levels have massively decreased since I joined but that's not really something we can fix.
What he said.

I really like the forum as is, actually.
The only thing that even comes close to complaint is the backround being to bright-white.
Maybe a %10 darker shade? Or I don't know, a pattern with dog-bones and fishes in cheerful colours?
Now I'm imagining the forum in a citric wallpaper of orange.
"A picture is worth a thousand words, but a word can paint a thousand pictures."
Pierre - 0047ab | Wazan - FF0040

May I interest you in my RP, the Imaginarium?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe the vitamin C from that will prevent us all from getting sick. LOL
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

No complaints here.
fenrirblack

Re: The Welcome Thread!

Post by fenrirblack »

I have so much newfound appreciation for this forum. It is so much easier to deal with than Discord. You need to talk about something very specific you can.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I'm glad you like it ^^
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I found that ANY forum is easier than Discord because you don't have to repeat yourself or have conversations interrupting what you are trying to say.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Let's talk about the forum:

HAPPY 2019, YOU FORUM!!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well that is one way to talk about it. XD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The section on the Home Page called Featured Articles! has gone without a change or update for quite some time. This Week's Featured Arc remains the same panel from It's a Wonderful Dog's Life and Keene Milton is still This Week's Featured Character after more than a few weeks. Nothing's amiss, I hope. :|
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That would be the Wiki you are talking about and not the forum. Though I don't think anything is wrong its just that the Wiki isn't really updated a lot. The last update was March 14th so most likely those pages aren't updated.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

............aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand now I know. Thanks, Amazz.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its fine and you are welcome for that. For a moment I thought there was an area of the forum that I totally ignored and never visited in all of this time. :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:48 pm Its fine and you are welcome for that. For a moment I thought there was an area of the forum that I totally ignored and never visited in all of this time. :lol:
Vocabulary issues on my part ... I need to dig up my Twenty-First Century Words Flash Cards again.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It wasn't a vocabulary issue you had the problems with though. You just confused the Wiki with the forum which is understandable.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Ah, don’t sweat it Weston, your mind is still far sharper than most people on this godforsaken Internet.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is saying a lot since a lot of people who live exclusively on the internet just follow anything and go along with anything. Just as long as you don't do any of that you will be fine. :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

`ppears to me the ol' Forum is still pretty active, given that Rick's on hiatus. It's a tribute to his community. :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is still active and people post, but it seems to be the same people however. We don't have anybody new coming and staying for the long haul unfortunately.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed May 24, 2023 8:31 pm It is still active and people post, but it seems to be the same people however. We don't have anybody new coming and staying for the long haul unfortunately.
A you might have noticed, Amazz, since we both like to do "Happy Birthdays" to the membership, there's always been a significant number (don`t have a count - sorry) of folks who sign on but rarely participate for very long or leave after a couple of years of sometimes intense involvement. Maybe that's just how it is with FanForums.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Fri May 26, 2023 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

True but I was talking more about the people who end up never posting once they make an account. The forum seems to get those more than having members slowly disappear over time which is better since it means that they at least posted here a few times and might come back.
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

I know, I want to post more but I feel like I came in too late. I miss forums in general and I hate social media for more or less killing them *sigh*
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would like forums to end up having a resurgence and becoming popular again also. It doesn't help that I found out about them when I was in middle school. ended up getting BANNED from a few because I was an immature little prick and spent the better part of the late 2000s/early 2010s fixated on one forum in particular that I schemed to get back on through ban jumping with different accounts. I was not a really stable person back then. :?
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

I just miss the Care Bear Fandom forums I used to spend a lot of time on
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would say I miss "Lemmy's Land Forum" but there are WAY too many bad memories there.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 7:57 pm I would like forums to end up having a resurgence and becoming popular again also. It doesn't help that I found out about them when I was in middle school. ended up getting BANNED from a few because I was an immature little prick and spent the better part of the late 2000s/early 2010s fixated on one forum in particular that I schemed to get back on through ban jumping with different accounts. I was not a really stable person back then. :?
Who in junior high school/middle school ever was/is? ;)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Weston ain’t wrong.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CryosR

Post by CryosR »

Yep
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am pretty sure everybody in my family didn't act like a lunatic trying to ban evade and get on a forum where NOBODY likes you. But the Mario fandom was my first so I ended up fixating on that.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 12:57 pm True but I was talking more about the people who end up never posting once they make an account. The forum seems to get those more than having members slowly disappear over time which is better since it means that they at least posted here a few times and might come back.
True, but there is also another, more positive trend I have noticed over the last few months. Postings are much, much less combative and belligerent than they were at times in the past. Perhaps that's due to the steady efforts of our dedicated Mods to keep conversations from getting too acidous and personal or that some of the flame-throwers have quieted down. There's still plenty of gentle ribbing going on but I've seen almost no actual sarcasm or savaging for sometime. Maybe, with the comic on hiatus, folks are just getting a little more mannered as we await with quiet eagerness the rebirth of our beloved Babylon Gardens gang .... :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is a double-edged sword when it comes to conflict here between members not being too vicious and having the forum have a long quiet spell because if you have one then that means the other one is lacking and it cannot bode well for the forum. If we have no conflict from anybody here on the forums and people all get along and are agreeable then that would be because we have no new members which means the forum is barely moving along and could end up just dying off. If we have new members come in then we end up having a higher possibility of arguments between members. So you have to choose whether you want people to get along which means staying in the same small community or get new members in who may or may not be argumentative.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh, I have no problem with free and frisky debates ... incivility is another matter.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Which we might end up having a higher possibility of dealing with if we get more members. Especially if the comic starts back up and people don't like the direction Rick is going with it.

More people just means there is more of a chance of their being disagreements that turn hostile. Its a fact.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

As of late, most big conversations have been due to happenings in the comic. From what I’ve heard, the comic should return to postings possibly by the beginning of next year. In the meantime, Rick is putting his efforts into his various other projects.

So no new comics can mean that there will be less conversation, which many no doubt only came to the forums to discuss. Granted, it isn’t helped that the finale we got left a bitter taste in the mouths of many, myself included, but I imagine that there would be an uptick once things resume.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:40 am As of late, most big conversations have been due to happenings in the comic. From what I’ve heard, the comic should return to postings possibly by the beginning of next year. In the meantime, Rick is putting his efforts into his various other projects.

So no new comics can mean that there will be less conversation, which many no doubt only came to the forums to discuss. Granted, it isn’t helped that the finale we got left a bitter taste in the mouths of many, myself included, but I imagine that there would be an uptick once things resume.
That reminds me of an old Sonic X fan forums. The place was bustling until the series ended, and the forum basically died overnight. (The site is still around, but now it's more of a blog, with the forum part long gone)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When you have a forum that is made because it is used to discuss a popular show then once that show ends the forum pretty much is dead afterwards. I have seen that happen many times. Sometimes its not even the show or any media the forum is based on ending. They can just age out of wanting to be a part of the forum and leave. I actually saw this happen with a fan forum called "Lemmy's Land Forum". It was bustling up until 2012 before it ended up losing activity and becoming a shell of its former self.
TyVulpintaur

Post by TyVulpintaur »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:59 pm When you have a forum that is made because it is used to discuss a popular show then once that show ends the forum pretty much is dead afterwards. I have seen that happen many times. Sometimes its not even the show or any media the forum is based on ending. They can just age out of wanting to be a part of the forum and leave. I actually saw this happen with a fan forum called "Lemmy's Land Forum". It was bustling up until 2012 before it ended up losing activity and becoming a shell of its former self.
Also sounds like a lot of places in Second Life. A lot of the places I've been to used to be bustling back when I first joined in 2009. Today, they're almost all either dried up, or no longer exist (either sold their land or the sim itself was deleted) and quite a few of the people I knew either died or moved away from SL.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is sad to look at a once active forum and realize that it is on its final legs since nobody is posting anymore. It really makes you treasure the memories. I know that I do when I see a forum near-death that was once very active.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I think it'll get it's second wind.

I still treasure my memories here and fun debates and talking about the comic, I just also decided to take a break as well while Rick deals with his other stuff and focus on more of the personal matters while it's cooling down. Hope to see you guys again soon =D
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Your return will be eagerly awaited, Cobra.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hope that you do come back soon as well. You have been missed and it was funny having you around since your character was pretty much the punching bag in the forum comic. :D