2018/10/01 - Predatory Business Practices

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Frank

Re: 2018/10/01 - Predatory Business Practices

Post by Frank »

Sheogorath wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
Frank wrote:But could the territory support less predators?
That is a legitimate ecological question. I can see three possible outcomes: one, now that the territory is vacated a new predator emigrates to fill the niche. Two, the predators were smart enough to limit their population, so the prey might be as well and reproduce less now that no one is getting eaten. Third, the prey population booms, the area is defoliated, and there is total ecological collapse.
Option the fourth: Prey species population booms forcing humans to "correct" the issue.
Could there be a "wabbit season / duck season" arc in our future?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Argent

Post by Argent »

They'll be replaced by mutant wolves from Chernobyl.

(actually a thing)
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Speaking of, I don't like how King and Bailey were quickly given the shaft in this story. I get they went through a lot, but why have them in the story if all they're gonna do is sleep through it?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:Speaking of, I don't like how King and Bailey were quickly given the shaft in this story. I get they went through a lot, but why have them in the story if all they're gonna do is sleep through it?
Comic relief? Honestly it’s the reverse of what it’s usually like, Whenever there’s a King arc the wolves pop up in a few scenes but don’t actually play a role. They get a few lines to progress the plot or are there for comic relief. The Christmas party comes to mind.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
tych

Post by tych »

I am glad someone knew that the shirt Pueblo was wearing was a nod
to the cartoon just surprised it took that long for someone to point it out
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

"Great things in business are never done by one person. They're done by a team of people." Steve Jobs

In this case it takes one angry cougar and her son to get things done.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ahah, wow, what a great progress! :D And times flies, too. :P Okay, Gale, you're now in the civilization, but you shouldn't still talk in that way like if you're still in the wild... ;) Aww, Pueblo is always so cute. :D Good to correct your mom, you show to be already more civil than her. :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

tych wrote:I am glad someone knew that the shirt Pueblo was wearing was a nod
I don’t know how anyone was supposed to know that. I always considered myself a cartoon expert but even I’ve never heard of that show before. And to put it in such an obvious place was bold. Even when Rick did that Road Rovers reference it was in the background and hardly noticeable.
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

It only felt like a long time. I posted only minutes after seeing the comic. I saw it at 6:00 AM my time, so if the comic updated at midnight, I was asleep.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh man, Pueblo is even cuter wearing people clothes. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay, GRAND theory time. If I had to guess (and you know I do) I would say that this can continue one of two ways.
Option one: we flashback to June (or April) to see the wolves stumble back to camp where King is waiting for them and they return home so we can wrap this story up having learned our lesson about the wild being terrible and everyone sucks it up and gets a real job.
Option 2 (the more likely option): we see what the wolves are up to six months from now (that would be December by the way if my dates are correct. If it is actually Oct then that would mean that this entire ordeal took place in April for some odd reason). Anyway we find Miles in his tweed jacket telling the other wolves how Gale is adjusting (For informations sake we see the others wearing their outfits detailing their jobs as well as the cubs in their new school uniforms). Then they remark on how the last six months have been and how the camping trip wasn’t as much as a disaster as it seemed.
Why only go so far as seeing the wolves jobs? Personally I’ll be a little surprised if King doesn’t get one at this point, he’s seemed eager to earn money anyway he could in previous arcs, so it be strange if he’s not all for getting a job, maybe have a joke about why his resume says he worked for PETA several years back. Be nice for a lot of characters to have the option at least, I can see a lot of comic scenarios coming out of most of the cast getting jobs, even if it’s hard to think up reasons why some of them would want them. Also, I am also excited to see the wolf pups in uniforms, mostly because there’s a good chance I’ll be able to tell them apart with a glance after that point
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Here's a thought and like so many of my other thoughts its kind of a stretch. But now that animals are joining human society at a level like Gale and Miles maybe it would be okay for King to start telling people who he really is. Like if he were to get a job I feel like his employer should know that "Hey, I use to be human by the name of Joel Robinson. Yes, I was turned into a dog but that won't effect my job performance. You can just call me King Milton. Everyone else does." Honestly if the wolves are getting real jobs as part of the ECP then technically King should get one as well since he is in the ECP as well. If people are okay with a cougar doing whatever Gale does then maybe there's hope for the future.
I realize that there would be some draw backs to King announcing to the world who he is but considering the majority of the neighborhood knows I don't see why the rest of the world shouldn't aside from the obvious. Like if Bill found out. I wrote about that in my fan fiction but even that still feel like it didn't do it justice for that moment when Bill finds out the truth. I always imagined there would be violence.
Even if he doesn't reveal his true identity he should get a job which would be funny to see him like back in human society doing regular things like nothing happened over the last nine years. I'm still waiting for someone from his past to show up.
His job interview would be like: "I see here on your resume that you went to college?" *raises eyebrow
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Oh man, King definitely needs to encounter someone from his past, the monster pets that he ran away from home with being the best choice in my opinion. And I think you’re not thinking far enough ahead my friend. Remember the cursed coin? Me thinks after a bit of time, King mentioning that he was human once won’t even get an eyebrow raised as it’s happened to everyone by that point
Connorses

Post by Connorses »

Just want to say, I love this page. Gale is awesome (although she has a helluva temper).

...Do I like her because I find having anger issues is relatable? .-.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Connorses wrote:Just want to say, I love this page. Gale is awesome (although she has a helluva temper).

...Do I like her because I find having anger issues is relatable? .-.
Either that or you’re like Poncho and you want her to step on you :lol: Personally, nice to see not everyone just is upset with her for how angry and irrational she was for most of the arc... even if she got beat out for best new character by her own son.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

So, let me get this straight. It's only been six months, yet Gale has managed to make it to an influential position in a company and owns sixty-percent of their stock while showing that she clearly has anger issues by making threats like THAT without being in the middle of an HR nightmare? This is just a training exercise by the Miltons to see if Gale's ready to integrate with civilization, isn't it?
Argent

Post by Argent »

This is a universe where murdering and eating self-aware and articulate beings is totally OK, so clearly it's got different standards than ours.

"No offense, but you guys DO look delicious."

"We might have some real social progress one day if it weren't for that pesky food chain."
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:This is a universe where murdering and eating self-aware and articulate beings is totally OK, so clearly it's got different standards than ours.

"We might have some real social progress one day if it weren't for that pesky food chain."
Let’s not forget that if Pueblo hadn’t messed up the attack, Zach would be wolf chow. Wonder if he’s in a grey area as I’m sure the Miltons would not be okay with that, but Rick’s never made it clear if Zach is still considered a pet or not considering he lives outside more now
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Argent wrote:This is a universe where murdering and eating self-aware and articulate beings is totally OK, so clearly it's got different standards than ours.

Let’s not forget that if Pueblo hadn’t messed up the attack, Zach would be wolf chow. Wonder if he’s in a grey area as I’m sure the Miltons would not be okay with that, but Rick’s never made it clear if Zach is still considered a pet or not considering he lives outside more now
He still wears the collar. He’s basically kind of like someone who used to live with their parents then Moves in with their partner but is still the child/dependent. If they ever break up or if Zach just gets tired of living with feral animals then he would totally run back to Jerry. I think he still considers himself a pet but one that does not live at home.

True but people have always treated the corporate world with much harsher rules and standards then the natural world. You want to wipe a forest or kill an entire species no one blinks but steal a stapler or create an unhealthy work environment people flip out hard.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Personally, I kinda wonder why he’s living with the members of the cult that worship him. The only benefit I can see is what the zealots probably would do for him during wabbit season, and I don’t think Zach would like that to ever happen. Speaking of the wild animals though, mildly surprised we only got that off panel Zach cameo, I actually was really wanting King’s Family to meet Draig and Craig, for pretty obvious reasons.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:True but people have always treated the corporate world with much harsher rules and standards then the natural world. You want to wipe a forest or kill an entire species no one blinks but steal a stapler or create an unhealthy work environment people flip out hard.
That's actually pretty recent. When I was a kid nobody blinked twice at the guy in the corner office taking all kinds of liberties. It was a laugh and wink thing in sitcoms. And even now, "management by shouting at people" is absolutely a thing lots of companies. :(
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

So... That's it? Less than twenty words needed to be said (but still an in-combat monologue), and skip to six months later? Not even a montage or something of all of this? The arc is just instantly resolved to that point? That's so out of nowhere. I'm trying to think of a positive spin, but having talking in combat go monologue and then a point a/point g character shift just seems warped enough to get me to come back on and comment about it.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hedronal wrote:So... That's it? Less than twenty words needed to be said (but still an in-combat monologue), and skip to six months later? Not even a montage or something of all of this? The arc is just instantly resolved to that point? That's so out of nowhere. I'm trying to think of a positive spin, but having talking in combat go monologue and then a point a/point g character shift just seems warped enough to get me to come back on and comment about it.
Might be Rick was worried he would have another temple crashers arc if he didn’t wrap it up soon.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Gameb18oy wrote:So... That's it? Less than twenty words needed to be said (but still an in-combat monologue), and skip to six months later? Not even a montage or something of all of this? The arc is just instantly resolved to that point?
Arc's not over yet. Nothing but "Will Gale fit into civilization?" and "How will she fit into civilization?" has been resolved, and I'm sure Rick has plans on how to wrap all the rest up. We might get a flashback to those events in the next strip, or more likely, it'll simply be referenced as Gale and Miles meet up (or maybe Gale and Poncho~?) to talk about how things are going with each other. I'm also personally hoping we get one more strip with King, Bailey, and the pups, but it's not really necessary for the arc.

Also also Gale rocks that suit jacket~
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

Not gonna lie this one was just disappointing to me. There was nothing wrong with the arc at all, just....... personal preferences.
Image Image
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Adoring Fan wrote:Not gonna lie this one was just disappointing to me. There was nothing wrong with the arc at all, just....... personal preferences.
You’re always critical of the stuff you love as I always say. Personally, I think the arc didn’t benefit from having Gale show up. I like both her and Pueblo... I freaking love Pueblo and hope he shows up a lot more, but I think the arc would have been more enjoyable if we either had gone with the idea of wolves in the workforce or if the thing that caused the wolves to have a bad time in the wild being kinda under their own (lack of) control. I kinda rank it with the water war arc, not an arc I’m against rereading, but definitely on the weaker side
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Almost time to find out where the rest of this chapter is going. Will we move on to the next chapter (doubtful), find out what the wolves are up to six months later (probably), or jump back to watch the wolves leave the forest with a greater appreciation for what they already have and finally have King use that forsaken portable pancake grill that's haunted me all summer (that's my vote)? Or was it all a dream....Maybe Gale's office was only a dream or a fantasy? OOOHHHH *spooky sounds

OMG it would be so bad if the entire chapter was a dream. Like Miles was sitting with King and said, "That's it! We can go camping!" King asks, "How would that work?" Cue Miles's thinking face and harp music. *One chapter later* Miles's says "On second thought maybe it would not be a good idea." *Miles cringes at the thought of Gale owning stock in some business and shouting over the phone. "For all our sakes maybe it would be better if we just stay here. I'll go talk to the pack again."
Gameb18oy wrote:[ I kinda rank it with the water war arc, not an arc I’m against rereading, but definitely on the weaker side
I always liked that arc because it was so silly. It was classic webcomic. No real plot just fun to read. The best part is when Keene says "It is I, Keene Milton!" in his swivel chair looking all dramatic. That and Rockstar Leadership Hawk. I love the emphasis there. And the scene with Joey and Grape looking at him like "really. are we buying this?" Rockstar was so precious back then. Then he grew up. And the end with Zach's journal and the raccoon cubs, that was so funny. That chapter was classic comedy.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:56 pm, edited 6 times in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It'd be highly unusual for a sudden rewind like that, though. My best guess would be a direct continuation with an "you've made strides since then" speech from Miles or Poncho, or even from Pueblo.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I have to say, i'm actually really happy for the time skip. WE already gotten enough details from the character right up to the point Miles and Poncho went through their personal reasons for liking Gale and got alot of their dynamics as it is and how strong both Gale and Miles are. It's just an issue of how I find Gale and other animals seem to not think outside the tunnel and seem to grow too accustomed to things.

Gale is now showing just how well-adjusted she can be in human society (at least for now :3). I like to see more of these things happen.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

There are SO many unanswered questions. How did Gale get the scar? What happened with the car or the cliff for that matter? What happened to Natalie’s mom? Is Rodney Natalie’s father because that makes sense? How did Gale and the wolves meet? Who is Pueblo’s father? What really happened to Jacks arm? Just how close were Miles and Gale? How did Poncho get his scar? Where on earth is Gale working? What else does Gale blame Miles for?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:There are SO many unanswered questions. How did Gale get the scar? What happened with the car or the cliff for that matter? What happened to Natalie’s mom? Is Rodney Natalie’s father because that makes sense? How did Gale and the wolves meet? Who is Pueblo’s father? What really happened to Jacks arm? Just how close were Miles and Gale? How did Poncho get his scar? Where on earth is Gale working? What else does Gale blame Miles for?
Got to leave a few plot threads for later Fenir. Personally I’m hoping we either get some new stuff on the coin or why Rufus kissed Max soon, more that latter one as I am all for Max finally getting an arc to develop him some.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:There are SO many unanswered questions. How did Gale get the scar? What happened with the car or the cliff for that matter? What happened to Natalie’s mom? Is Rodney Natalie’s father because that makes sense? How did Gale and the wolves meet? Who is Pueblo’s father? What really happened to Jacks arm? Just how close were Miles and Gale? How did Poncho get his scar? Where on earth is Gale working? What else does Gale blame Miles for?
Got to leave a few plot threads for later Fenir. Personally I’m hoping we either get some new stuff on the coin or why Rufus kissed Max soon, more that latter one as I am all for Max finally getting an arc to develop him some.
Yeah, “later” there are so many plot threads still waiting to be finished from the last eleven years I’m not holding my breath on any of them being answered. But I do kinda miss Peanut and the gang. I not expecting to see “coin” plot until the last chapter of Year 11.
Argent

Post by Argent »

tych

Post by tych »

fenrirblack wrote:
I don’t know how anyone was supposed to know that. I always considered myself a cartoon expert but even I’ve never heard of that show before. And to put it in such an obvious place was bold. Even when Rick did that Road Rovers reference it was in the background and hardly noticeable.
first sorry it took so long to reply to this second I think I only know about shirt tales because Cartoon Network showed reruns of it back in the 90s I also saw old school banana splits, Hair Bear Bunch all the old school Hanna-Barbara shows and the Cartoon Cartoon show among other stuff