Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

CanzetYote

Tiger Tiger Yes Papa

Post by CanzetYote »

NHWestoN

Re: Tiger Tiger Yes Papa

Post by NHWestoN »

Nicely done, CanzetYote. Gave me a chuckle....
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Wonder if we'll ever see Tiger (or Marvin) again? They had their fans ... :(
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am sure that we might see a little bit of them but their appearances now will probably be few and far in-between. We barely saw them as it is and I don't think Rick has any plans for Marvin at all besides him being the straight man to Tiger. They extricated Zach from that setup and once that happened, their appearances dwindled.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Kinda early on, I thought Marvin and Max might work as frenemies or co-conspirators but that came to naught. Then Zack got a major upgrade as besties with Jessica and that took him entirely out of the "pet pals" orbit with Grape, Peanut, and the great "water fight" gang.

Tiger's a fairly unique character as a neurotic pseudo-intellectual with a chip on his shoulder. I have a sad suspicion that Rick's gone beyond that sort of humor, but we'll see. So, again, I think you're right, Amazz, Marvin is likely fixed into being Tiger's sane, sober, "adult-in-the-room" straight-man.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It did actually seem like Marvin and Max were friends who hung out a lot at first. Especially during the Halloween arc where they tried to scare each other and Marvin got Tarot to send Max through a disturbing dimension. But that did end before it could even start. Plus Tiger's blurb on the original site said some of the cats were more sympathetic to him due to his name so I was thinking that maybe one of them besides Marvin would try to get close to him but that didn't happen either.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The Halloween arc was one of my first encounters with an etended Rick saga, and I was enthralled. I'd expected that the Maxwell-Marvin relationship might elaborate from there in any one of several relationship possibilities. Didn't happen. Marvin faded into the wallpaper, all the faster when Res showed up. Then, at some point, Fox absorbed all of Res's insecurities and neurotic self-absorbtions so Res, despite his triumph over The Forgotten, also fell from central casting. But, man, that Halloween episode was really classic Rick storytelling!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly think looking back at it now that Marvin wasn't meant to be a full-fleshed out character. Just there to react to whatever Tiger did. He was probably just thrown into the arc because there weren't that many cats back then. A shame because Marvin could have been a really awesome character.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Agreed. Sometimes, though, a minor character can seize the spotlight and shift a comic into very different directions. Peppermint Patty in Peanuts was not intended to be more than a walk-on, but Schultz began to see all sorts of possibilities with her and she slowly eclipsed many earlier characters and other new characters that just weren't working out. Ah, well ...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looks like you learn something new everyday because admittedly I did not know that. I thought that she was an original character that was there to be friends with Charlie Brown.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Over the decades, Peanutsadded quite a few new characters. Most of these eventually disappeared for reasons rarely explained except that Charles Schultz stayed loyal to the old favorities. For example, two new female characters, Eudora and Lydia, had fairly extensive runs.

Eudora, who joined the cast in 1978, was sort of a kooky, excentric girl but also very polite and fond of Charlie Brown (and Snoopy). She featured fairly frequently, interacting with major characters and participating in recurring themes. However, Eudora vanished after a final strip in 1987 when she informed Snoopy she had a golden retriever. Maybe Snoopy got her fired.

Lydia was Linus's age and her crush on Linus was the center of her comedy - as well as a rivalry with Sally, Charlie Brown's little sister, notorious for calling Linus her "sweet babboo". Lydia joined in 1987, about a year before Eudora ceased to appear. She never got the amount of stage time as Eudora, but she still had walk-ons with lines well up the last year of the Peanuts comic. Apparently, Schultz found her episodically useful.

It's funny how an artist will sustain and develop certain characters, including some unexpected stars that start as second-bananas, while others will fade like Bing-References to drug paraphernalia are against the rules, so this certainly is not one. in Disney's Inside Out.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Note: I got censored in the last sentence because I referred to a Disney character with a naughty word in his name. Look up the movie Inside Out to find the name of Riley's invisible childhood friend. (Think of Dumbo's pink elephants for addition mirth.)

Now I'm getting sentimental as I recall a prolonged exchange with a Mod about trying to use the name of another Disney cartoon character. It was early in my joining the forum - ah, so young and naive I was. That character was a unicycle riding bear from the feature-lenght cartoon Fun and Fancy Free, named ... hahahahaha, you thought I'd write it out in full and get "bubble-gummed" again, didn't you? ;)

Look it up yourslf. Better yet, put that movie on your YouTube and watch it, it's cute. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not sure why those names would come up as being censored since when you hear the terms that are part of the names you don't think of what their risqué meanings are. Might just be a case of the forum going a bit overboard trying to retain a G-Rating and to be better safe than sorry but I can see how it might get on someone's nerves.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm guess it's a program that screens for objectionable words. Instead of deleting them, it replaces them with harmless and rather funny alternatives. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm not sure whether Rick or the mods were the one that set it up like that or if that is how it came. Some of the words I understand but some others you have to admit are gonna be reaching. Most people don't think of what they are afraid of when they hear the word b*ng.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, I'd kinda forgotten about the whole dust-up. Given some of the directions and issues Rick's veered into lately, it seems pretty quaint. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Rick DOES do some work that isn't PG-13 and way more adult and explicit but here he wants to keep it a bit tamer though I have heard he did do some more risqué artwork of the characters. I doubt that he would raise the rating of the comic or post it here though.