Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

Post by CyberDragon »

"No, armor piercing is fine. Just don't shoot the necromancer. We still need him alive."

Kol would find the beast's scales to be harder than steel and thicker than tank armor. It didn't even notice her attack as it moved past and almost stepped on her with it's house-sized leg.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
69eist

Post by 69eist »

Ballad swoops in to push Kol out of the way, only barely avoiding the massive reanimated creatures stomp.

Palette proceeds to get behind cover, observing the beast from afar away from its line of sight.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Tat," Jenny called, jumping backwards for position, "try shooting it in the mouth!". She took her own advice and fired, having switched to setting seven.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana began shooting the snake the moment it appeared, backing up slightly. She did not turn her vision but tilted in Lycan's direction, "Can I at least hit him with some kinetic blasts?!" She kept the thought of using some of her normal blasts, not through her rifle for this fight, though the idea of having to fix her armored shell's arms AGAIN bothered her. She stopped firing at Jenny's tactical advice, quickly shifting her focus to the snake's head before resuming her firing spree, "It's funny. For having been dead himself he sure has no respect for the dead." She muttered the errant thought to herself as she prepared to change out another plasma cartridge.
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Rika stood stock still when the giant snake slithered out of it's coffin. "I-I-I g-guess it's a b-bad time to m-m-mention I am t-t-t-terrified of sn-snakes!!?" She stuttered out before pulling out a red pod. "B-but I will s-s-still try t-t-to help take it d-d-down!! KEEP AWAY FROM IT'S HEAD!! IIINCOMINGGG!!" With that, Rika lobbed the pod with a baseball pitcher throw as fast and as hard than a fired tank shell directed at the serpent's head.
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The great beast turned its head to Ballad and snapped at him as he flew past. When Jenny started firing at its head, it looked at the rat and lunged, jaws open. Tatiana and Jenny's shots cracked some of its teeth. It almost reached Jenny when Rika's pod landed in it's mouth, prompting it to slam its jaws shut early. It smashed the pod, causing it to detonate in its mouth. It roared and shrieked as the chemicals burned inside it.

"If this is... Then where..." The Lycan said to himself. He looked the serpent up and down until he finally found what he was looking for. There was a hole scorched through the creature's belly. It's cause of death, a plasma burn, and a weak point in its armor. "Rika! I need one of those red capsules! I have an idea!"
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny jumped backwards to escape the darting head. She took the opportunity of having it nearby to try and put a shot in its' eye. "I'm doing something right. It doesn't like me."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Rika looked at the serpent, then to Lycan. "B-better you then m-me.. I won't go near that th-th-th-thing.." She looked to the snake again, sending a shiver down her spine. "W-well, whatever i-it is your going t-to do.. Make s-sure it makes it d-dead again.." She pulls out a red capsule and throws it carefully to Lycan.
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Lycan took the pod from Rika. "Trust me. I hate this idea more than you do. It's either the dumbest idea I've had or.... no, it's definitely the dumbest idea I've ever had. It's the only idea I have at the moment though." He ran toward the wound in the serpent's side while it was distracted with Jenny. It roared and what was left of its right eye burst with her shot. However, it didn't seem like that actually hindered it's eyesight. As the snake-thing slithered past, knocking one of the giant coffins over and spilling the mansion-sized contents on the ground, The Lycan leaped up and landed in the scorched hole. He pulled out a plasma cutter from his belt, and, with a cringe and a great deal of reluctance, entered the creature.

The snake was about to lunge again when it noticed the Lycan. Confusion and a hint of fear crossed it's eyes as it noticed what he was doing. It reached out with it's clawed front legs like hands, but The Lycan was already inside. It tried to reach into the wound, but it was too small for it's hand. It clawed at the scales on its belly desperately trying to reach him, but the scales were too thick and reinforced against external blows and pressure. It roared in frustration as the necromancer stood upon its back between some spinal spikes, looking at what was happening. "What is he doing?" he said, genuinely confused and even somewhat concerned.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Letting Balad grab her on the fly-by, the two are just barely out of the way of the stomp.

"All that did was dull my claws... What is this this thing, metal?" Kol complained, backing away and regrouping with the others. if her claws were no good she would need something heavy like a maul or an axe... where was she going to get one of those here?

one of the others taking potshots at it's eyes gave her an idea though. those had to be softer...

tossing her useless staff away, she turned to ballad and asked "Do you think you can get me onto it's back? or head?"
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich sprinted around to the side of it, figuring out the best way to get to the necromancer. He would be his target as the snake was definitely not something he could punch through. Eventually he found his line and made his move. He launched himself off the ground, a pillar appearing under his landing point, which he then used to push off from again, practically running from pillar to pillar. The previous one disappeared as soon as he had left it and he made his way onto the creatures back rather quickly. Now all he had to do was confront the necromancer and given that the guy didn't seem to have any other real means of offense, he headed straight for him, though he kept a shield up just in case.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny switched fire, more towards the Necromancer. She wasn't intent on hitting him, just making him keep his head down and concentrate on her, letting Ulrich attack.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Lycan cut through the rotted flesh of the serpent's gut with his plasma knife. He cut and dug out a hole just wide enough for him to climb through as he made his way up through the beast's scorched, putrid insides. It was hard to breathe and the stench was unbearable, but he forced his way through, aiming for the spine.

Meanwhile, the serpent could not afford to concern itself with The Lycan, as Jenny's firing at the Necromancer caused the snake to turn it's attention to the him. The Necromancer looked panicked. "I... Don't know how to control it!" The monster then saw the light from Ulrich's constructs as he leaped upon its back and ran for the little Necromancer. The snake lowered its head to its master, opened its mouth, and tipped him in, closing its jaws around him where none of his attackers could reach. The Necromancer was screaming in terror as it held him there protectively. With it's "master" secured, it crawled along the walls and on the ceiling so that the part of it's spine Ulrich was on was upside down hundreds of feet above the ground.

If Ulrich is fast, he might be able to grab hold of some of the creatures spine spikes and hang on while the serpent moves along back to the ground.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Once again, Jenny put her guns away to talk. The armour piercing rounds needed to recharge anyway and they did that faster in the holster rechargers.. "It's using your fear," she called, hoping he could still hear her. "Your hate and your rage are giving it life! it can't exist without them, sir! You have to calm down, sir! What IS your name, by the way?"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

And fast he was. As soon as he saw that he was going to be going for a rather interesting rollercoaster ride, he found the nearest protrusion and wrapped his arms around it. As the snake creature took off, the others might hear somewhat faint shouts. If they listened hard, they might realize that these were shouts and yells of enthusiasm rather than of fear. Ulrich was afraid, being hundred of feet above the ground, upside down at that, was nothing to not be afraid of. But if he was going to be stuck on this wild ride then he'd at least have a little bit of fun.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Once again, Jenny put her guns away to talk. The armour piercing rounds needed to recharge anyway and they did that faster in the holster rechargers.. "It's using your fear," she called, hoping he could still hear her. "Your hate and your rage are giving it life! it can't exist without them, sir! You have to calm down, sir! What IS your name, by the way?"
The Necromancer is currently screaming and inside the mouth of a giant zombie space-snake. He is unable to hear Jenny at all, and so does not respond.
-Champion Motto

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana stopped her firing when the snake took up the necromancer in its' mouth, "Well, great." She said, lowering her rifle, as she couldn't risk hurting the necromancer, Lycan or Ulrich. She gave a begrudging sigh, and called up to the hollering Ulrich "If needed I can get you down Ulrich! It's not like I have much else I can do currently."
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Flyboy," Jenny called, "get me onto its' head, would you?"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich looked up, which from this angle was actually looking down, "If you have a way, I would love to hear it!" He shouted down to Tatiana.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Ulrich wouldn't have to wait long as the Serpent continued to move until it was upright on the floor again. It seemed it couldn't stay on the steel ceiling for long.
-Champion Motto

69eist

Post by 69eist »

Buster wrote:Letting Balad grab her on the fly-by, the two are just barely out of the way of the stomp.

"All that did was dull my claws... What is this this thing, metal?" Kol complained, backing away and regrouping with the others. if her claws were no good she would need something heavy like a maul or an axe... where was she going to get one of those here?

one of the others taking potshots at it's eyes gave her an idea though. those had to be softer...

tossing her useless staff away, she turned to ballad and asked "Do you think you can get me onto it's back? or head?"
" I can't carry you too high but I can do this." Ballad lifts Kol enough to be able to do a barrel roll before letting out a bass scream, propelling Kol up behind the necromancer.

Wait, if that thing is made of metal, I can melt it. Palette lights his paws on fire, aiming at the skeletal creature.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Looks like I do this the long way," Jenny muttered, looking for the best, fastest, way, to climb the snake. Then she ran for its' back and jumped as best she could. "Keep attacking the front!"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Though it isn't made of metal exactly, The Serpent isn't fireproof either. Upon contact with Palette's fire blast, the creature roared in shock, anger, and pain. While it's mouth was open, the Necromancer ran to the side and saw Jenny climbing up. "HELP! PLEASE! GET ME OUT OF HERE!" He half-sobbed, half-yelled to her. Jenny would have to act fast in order to get him out.

Meanwhile, The Lycan found what he was looking for. He had carved his way to the creature's spine. He planted the red capsule between two vertebrae and moved back down the path he had carved as fast as he could.
-Champion Motto

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana was motionless for a moment after the snake fell to the floor, in that moment she decided she hated the giant snake. She readied her rifle once more, focusing on the only weak spot that was free of allies or necromancers and began firing upon the snake's remaining eye. As she fired she contimplated anything other form of action she could take against the snake, but with some many of her allies crawling on, and even IN the snake, most other actions had high chance of friendly fire.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Crashing into the things head Kol starts making her way towards its good eye, only to stop short as ricochets start pinging up around her. Backing up she decides to see of she decides to see if she can rip out one of its spines and use it as a spear on its bony hide instead.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Serpent's remaining eye burst and it roared in fury, now completely blinded. It could neither see nor feel anything, leaving a perfect opening for further action. It writhed and squirmed, unsure of what to do. With it's motion, it's vertebrae crushed the red capsule between them, detonating it just as The Lycan jumped out of the old scorch wound. The explosion wasn't big enough to blow the snake's back open, but it was enough to paralyze it from that point down to the tail, as well as break off the spines connected to those vertebrae. With it's lower body being several thousand tons of dead weight, the Serpent could no longer move from its current location.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich also begins to make his way to the serpents mouth once he's back on the ground, though he's further away than Jenny is.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Oh, I hope I'm right," Jenny told herself as the serpent screamed in pain. She launched herself towards the mouth, grabbing and hanging on to a tooth to stop her falling. She pulled herself up and grabbed at the necromancer, trying to throw the pair of them clear of the creatures' mouth - him first.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

As the beast continued to writhe, the Necromancer grabbed Jenny's hand. "Thank y-aaaahh!" He shouted as the rat suddenly threw the two of them off of the undead creature.

"Someone available to catch them?" The Lycan called out as he ran as fast as he could to where he thought they would land. He didn't think he'd be able to get there on time.
-Champion Motto

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana gave a nodded towards Lycan, "On it." She holstered her rifle and began to levitate. Her speed was a bit slow, as she didn't want to shoot past them or into them at a speed she couldn't control. She moved towards them, just from underneath, her back to the floor to have a better chance to catch them, "Grab on!" She said, arms ready to grab the two freefallers.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny grabbed to Tat,turning sharply as she kept her grip on the Necromancer. She felt pain jolt through her as her shoulder came out and she lowered the necromancer to the floor. "Thanks, Tat," she said, trying to keep the pain out of her voice. "Are you OK, sir," she asked the necromancer. "Sorry if I scared you but I didn't have time for anything else."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The man broke down. He collapsed on his knees and started sobbing. "I... I just want to go home..." He cried. "I want to see my family again. That's all I want now."

The serpent continued to struggle and thrash aimlessly, roaring furiously. Horrible dark smoke leaked from it's mouth, beneath its scales, and from its wounds.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich stopped and watched as Jenny and the man sailed over his head before being caught by Tatiana. It was at this point that the snake creature began it's thrashing and he hastily made his exit by sliding down the side of the creature and executing a somewhat less than smooth roll to cancel out some of his downward momentum. He made his way over to the others, adding to the group that was already around the Necromancer.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Kol's exit is far less graceful. essentially getting flung in the general direction of the others.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Families being permitted access," Jenny said, holding her one, mis-shapen, arm to her side, "is something that HAS to be sorted, I agree. What is your name, sir?"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"My name is Jacob. Jacob Baker." the man said, regaining his composure. Jacob looked up at the shrieking serpent. "I don't... know how to stop it. I tried telling it to let me go. It wouldn't listen to me. I don't know how this works..."

The Lycan ran over to intercept Kol and break her fall. It maybe wasn't the best decision as her momentum knocked him sprawling onto the ground. However, he did succeed in breaking her fall somewhat. They would both have to later check themselves for injuries.

The Lycan limped to his feet. "ow... ungh..." He hobbled over to the group after helping Kol to her feet. "Powers rarely come with instructions." he said to Mr. Baker. "Family visits are something we try to allow, but it isn't easy. The Necropolis is a quarantine zone, and stuff like this is why. Security is tight unless you are a Champion, security personnel, or a hive drone. Not to mention we are often light-years away from many of the residents' home planets at any given time." He said, mostly to Jenny.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Tough," Jenny said tersely through the pain. "We need to do better. We're seeing here what is currently thought of our efforts, sir." She winced and crouched next to Jacob. "Mr. Baker," she said simply, "you must calm down to help us deal with that, sir. It's feeding on the fear and hate infecting your soul but calming down will help us to end it, sir. Besides," she added with a grin, that, due to her arm was more rictus than planned, "when we do find your family, wouldn't you like to tell them you helped us?"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana had lowered to the ground with her passengers, muttering to herself, "Need to practice that..." After making sure the Necromancer wasn't in any hurry to start raising the dead anytime soon she stared at the giant writhing snake, "It should be returned to peace." She walked towards Lycan and whispered to him, preferring Jacob not to hear her words, "I say it would be best to move Jacob out of Necropolis if he can't get it under control. Then's the matter of finding his killer, as I assume Hivemind would have taken care of most of the dead by now."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

For a while he said nothing. He watched the serpent, looking upon it with a mix of longing and revulsion as it spit and hissed in pain. Finally he spoke up. "I do... I want to see him punished, but... This. This isn't worth it. Arrest me. Arrest my killer. Keep him as far away from me as possible. I can't do this anymore."

The serpent let out a horrible wail. The exact same wail of the condemned masses that Odium had unleashed before. It vomited forth the horrid darkness that had leaked out of it before. The ethereal mist filled the air, clouding everything. Then, as suddenly as it had happened, the corruption dissipated, the hatred it fed off of no longer strong enough to sustain it. What was left of the serpent's eyes grew cloudy, and it's head went limp, falling to the ground with a mighty crash. The World Eater Serpent was dead once more. The catacombs were calm again.

"seems like control won't be a problem. However... I'm sorry to say he will likely be placed in a reformation facility. That cloud has quite the major silver lining though. Reformation facilities are easier to get visiting hours for. Hivemind and I will focus on finding his family and his killer. It's not like the killer can run anywhere." The Lycan whispered back to Tatiana.

"Th... Thank you Ms... what is your name?"
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Jenny Miles," she said. "IOC and Champion."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie