Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

You guys apparently do this thing a lot?

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Welsh Halfwit

Re: Non-HPU: Beacon of Hope

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Heat the bones," Jenny told herself, before shrugging. "I can go for a cook out. Setting seventeen it is," she said, devastating a zombie that crashed to the ground a few feet from her before taking aim and firing quickly at the target area. She hit and kept on hitting as the small pulses of explosive energy did their work.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich dropped his shields and placed his hands together before dragging them apart. A tall block of hard light appeared as Ulrich put his shield back up, "I hope that is good enough for you," he said over his shoulder to the Lycan as he punched a zombie in the face.
Last edited by Deske on Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Rika nearly screamed herself, covering her mouth in shock. All the bodies..

She was snapped out of staring at them when Hive called her name. She looked to the other champions and the giant they were facing, then to the separated zombies between them. "I-I.." She stuttered, unsure of what to make of all this. Zombies and skeletons in Necropolis.. She inwardly sighed. "O-ok, let-let's just go.." She said flatly, more to herself then the drone. Rika then pushed herself forward, running toward the straggler zombies. As she got close, she pulled one of her capsules from a pouch on her backpack and threw it into the group. A small 'pop' sound and a spray of orange-colored gas poured from the capsule, covering the zombies.. With no effect. "Hmph, should've guessed.." She muttered as she turned to go around them. Surpisingly, as she passed close to the group, none of them attacked. They were distracted by the sound the capsule made as the gas escaped. "Hm, still auditory responsive.." She remarked, momentarily looking back.

Now clear of the stragglers she headed for the other champions, stopping short to look at the situation. The champions seemed to be trying to crack the skull of the giant with their weapons, whilst one covers the rest from the small horde. "Gotta help somehow.." She pulled another capsule and checked it over before noticing the Lycan heaving a manhole cover. She sprinted over, waving as she came close. "You need a little help there friend?" She asked as she opened the capsule and handed the Lycan a small red pill. "Try this."
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana barely took noticed the new arrival, instead focusing on joining Jenny in concentrating her fire on the giant skeleton to let the others deliver the coup de grace. She got down on one knee for better stability as she was focusing on one target and not switching constantly. She refrained from using any kinetic blasts on the giant, not wanting to whip it's head out of her and Jenny's aim, "Just a thought, but if this doesn't work as well as we want, we can always try for the neck. Can't destroy thing? Take out the base. Watch it fall."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:"...you look like a scout who just spotted a raiding party." Kol deadpans in response to his initial freakout, before laughing at the question about being squeamish and grinning; showing off her very noticeable predatory carnivore dental structure. Stating "Fights get messy." very matter-of-factly.
"Good, because I just found out there is an army of walking dead people attacking one of m... one of the cities." He almost said my again, but he felt that would open up too many questions. "We can go there as soon as the train, the vehicle we are in, arrives at our stop. Unfortunately, we don't have much time, so we would need to take those weird disorienting doors like the one before. The train doesn't go where we need to go."

----------------------------------------

"Normally that would be a good idea, but I think these things can run without their heads as long as the head is intact somewhere. I knocked a head off of one of the smaller skeletons, and it kept going." The Lycan looked over at Rika confused. The Hive droid, who had pulled out a small pistol from a holster hidden in his hip joint, was still fighting his way through. He shot two zombies in the head before spinning and sweeping the legs out from under a third. He brought a knee up as it fell and snapped its spine before firing point blank into it's forehead. "Lycan! The red ones are grenades!" He yelled out.

The Lycan looked down at the small pill, then he got an idea. He leaped off of the hardlight structure Ulrich had made and latched onto the creature's skull. It rattled furiously and grabbed at The Lycan, but he had jumped off of the monster already. The pill was planted inside a small hole chipped into the skull by Jenny and Tatiana's gunfire. As the Lycan jumped away from the monster, he threw the manhole cover like a Frisbee and hit the skeleton in the forehead, crushing the pill and causing it to detonate. The beast staggered backwards, the small chips having been turned into large cracks. It twitched, then charged for the group again.

The hive droid had just shot five more zombies and torn two more apart with his bare hands. As the giant skeleton charged the group again, he activated his jump boosters. He leaped clear over the rest of the undead as well as the group, straight for the skeleton's face as it ran. They met in the middle. The Hive Droid put all of his deceptively heavy weight into his punch, which landed square in the middle of the biggest cracks at easily over fifty miles per hour. His fist plowed through the cracked skull, shattering it. The skeleton staggered backwards, trying to keep upright, but it couldn't. It fell apart into a pile of giant bones on the ground. The hive droid landed with a skid and stood up. His left arm, the one he used to punch the skeleton, was mangled and limp. The droid didn't seem to notice much though. "Would somebody please tell me what is going on?!"
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Deske

Post by Deske »

The hard light structure that the Lycan had launched himself off of had disappeared into nothingness almost as soon as it was used for its intended purpose. Ulrich pulled up his second shield again and had adopted the same tactic he was using before they were met with the large skeleton. He placed them in front of himself and began walking through the zombies, though it was easier this time since there were less of them.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Neon Icy Wings wrote:Tatiana barely took noticed the new arrival, instead focusing on joining Jenny in concentrating her fire on the giant skeleton to let the others deliver the coup de grace. She got down on one knee for better stability as she was focusing on one target and not switching constantly. She refrained from using any kinetic blasts on the giant, not wanting to whip it's head out of her and Jenny's aim, "Just a thought, but if this doesn't work as well as we want, we can always try for the neck. Can't destroy thing? Take out the base. Watch it fall."
"Good plan B, Jenny called. "You know I've gone five years without working out a use for setting 17 - the icebreaker rounds?" She adjusted her aim as the human Fox ran into the scene and brought her guns up as the Lycan and the droid completed their attack. "Or there's that." She turned to the droid. "Long story. Your sensors were cut off, motion sensors have been set off in the catacombs and the dead are no longer happy." She checked her power readings. "Short story. We're under attack, sir."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:"Good, because I just found out there is an army of walking dead people attacking one of m... one of the cities." He almost said my again, but he felt that would open up too many questions. "We can go there as soon as the train, the vehicle we are in, arrives at our stop. Unfortunately, we don't have much time, so we would need to take those weird disorienting doors like the one before. The train doesn't go where we need to go."
Kol filed away the bit about walking dead people away as probably another translation issue, as that was impossible. the dead couldn't move, and even if they could they didn't usually have much left to walk on once scavengers found them. or much of anything else left for that matter. She was NOT asking about this one though she'd had enough headaches for one day, and still had plenty left to sort through from the first two.

she did let out an annoyed groan at the mention of the door things though. none the less she dutifully followed along.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:Kol filed away the bit about walking dead people away as probably another translation issue, as that was impossible. the dead couldn't move, and even if they could they didn't usually have much left to walk on once scavengers found them. or much of anything else left for that matter. She was NOT asking about this one though she'd had enough headaches for one day, and still had plenty left to sort through from the first two.

she did let out an annoyed groan at the mention of the door things though. none the less she dutifully followed along.
When the train arrived at the station, the Hive Security Droid led Kol off of the platform and down into the frozen district's transportation center. It was much, much smaller than the main hub in the capitol district. He went over to the nearest available portal door and bypassed the security to gain direct access to the Necropolis. He opened the door and walked through, urging Kol to follow him.

------------------------------------

"I can see that, Sherlock." Hivemind said to Jenny, perhaps harsher than he should have. "Sol..." The Lycan started. "Does anyone have any information that is not obviously apparent, like who is responsible?"
"Sol!" The Lycan yelled out to get his attention.
"What?!"
"Odium was here."

At once, both hive droids froze in place and stood there like deer in headlights. "Here? What do you mean here?"
"Full spectral manifestation, Solomon. It was here, plain as day and larger than life. It attacked, but got dragged off. It was bound by chains of light, but seemed to be breaking free of them."
The droid talking to the group said nothing for a long time, then he spoke up. "I'm sorry I yelled at you." he told Jenny. "Randy, we'll need to discuss our options later. I think we will owe our recruits a raise and an explanation once we get to a safe spot. I'm quadrupling the pay for this job. One for the undead, and two for surviving Odium."

With the giant undead cleared and most of the swarm taken out by Jenny and Tatiana, the coast was mostly clear to the Hive Relay building. "Come on. Let's get inside."
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Kol had only just arrived at the outtskirts when she slammed into her momentarily stationary guide, coming to a full stop from a sprint.

"Ow, warn me before... you... you weren't kidding about the mess." she comments, before spotting one of the ones still standing. "And... the dead thing wasn't a translator mistake..."

I wonder if these scare easily...

- - - - - -

the main group can probably hear what sounds somewhere between a large feline's roar and a canine's howl coming from back the direction they came.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich let his shields drop as soon as they were out of the majority of the undead. He took a breath, almost choking on it because of the smell, but he managed to maintain his composure. He lifted an eyebrow when he heard the word "Quadruple," but he decided not to comment on it at this time. "I think a good question to answer would be, 'Who is Odium?' I do not think that request is too out of bounds," he asked, speaking to both the Hivedroid and Randy.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Don't worry about it, Mr Mind," Jenny said simply. "Gallows humour isn't for everyon..." At the sound of the howling, she turned and almost fired. If her glasses hadn't detected the slightest hint of body heat, she would have. "It's alive."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana didn't like Hivemind's snark, though didn't say anything as she approached closer, seeing as the zombies around them weren't too much of a threat at the moment. Upon hearing the roar she turned and pointed her gun in the sounds direction, though raised her gun away, resting it on her shoulder pointing to the sky when Jenny said it was alive. She turned back, facing the droid and Lycan, "Man, you really keep, 'I'm not payed enough for this' out of your employed force vocabulary. Also, I echo Ulrich's sentiment about wanting to know more of this Odium dude, though..." She pointed her free hand in the direction of the how, "Yay or neigh on checking out the living roarer?" She faltered for a moment as she finally took proper notice of Rika, turning her ever smiling helmet on the fox person, not liking the fact something slipped her mind, "Also also, thanks for the explosion but who are you?"
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:Kol had only just arrived at the outtskirts when she slammed into her momentarily stationary guide, coming to a full stop from a sprint.

"Ow, warn me before... you... you weren't kidding about the mess." she comments, before spotting one of the ones still standing. "And... the dead thing wasn't a translator mistake..."

I wonder if these scare easily...

- - - - - -

the main group can probably hear what sounds somewhere between a large feline's roar and a canine's howl coming from back the direction they came.
The roar didn't have the effect that Kol probably wanted, as instead of being afraid, every undead monster for a mile turned their head and moved in on Kol and the hive droid with her. "I... rather wish you hadn't done that." Hivemind said, putting his hand on her shoulder. "We should probably run this way before our path gets blocked." He pointed in the direction the rest of the group was going.

----------------------------------

"The roar is from an ally. Someone who agreed to help for payment. As for Odium... You'd be surprised, Mr. Ulrich. If you weren't already dragged into this by seeing it, I'd say that question goes beyond your clearance." The Hive Droid responded.
The Lycan continued. "Odium is not a person so much as it is a force of nature. It is hatred incarnate. Spite personified. Malice given form."
"It's a corruption of the mind, and contagious like a disease. Odium is one of the primary roots of violence, and has the potential to inflict unending war upon the universe."
"There's more to this story, but I don't think it's a good idea to tell it here. It contains sensitive and important information that is probably best not told out in the open in the middle of a zombie attack."
"Yeah, once I get here with Kol, we should head inside the Hive Relay. The Lycan can explain things better while I try to fix things."
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich chuckled, "Ah yes, but I do not think clearance has a say when we're risking our lives. You didn't hire us to not ask questions. At least, I hope not." He added the last part mainly as a joke, he wanted answers, but he wasn't entirely willing to give up the stability of this job for them. "Anyway! What happens once we're inside?"
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Neon Icy Wings wrote:Tatiana didn't like Hivemind's snark, though didn't say anything as she approached closer, seeing as the zombies around them weren't too much of a threat at the moment. Upon hearing the roar she turned and pointed her gun in the sounds direction, though raised her gun away, resting it on her shoulder pointing to the sky when Jenny said it was alive. She turned back, facing the droid and Lycan, "Man, you really keep, 'I'm not payed enough for this' out of your employed force vocabulary. Also, I echo Ulrich's sentiment about wanting to know more of this Odium dude, though..." She pointed her free hand in the direction of the howl, "Yay or neigh on checking out the living roarer?" She faltered for a moment as she finally took proper notice of Rika, turning her ever smiling helmet on the fox person, not liking the fact something slipped her mind, "Also also, thanks for the explosion but who are you?"
Rika turned to the voice, noting the helmet as she spoke. "Oh, My name is Dr. Rika Montoni. New recruit, same as you, and believe me when I say that explosion was not planned. The pill was actually a stimulant which raises someone's strength.." She held up a palm-sized capsule with a blue band painted around the middle. "..I'll have to note that down later. May I ask who you are?" She finished, twisting an ear towards Hivemind and the Lycan so she could listen to both conversations.
CyberDragon wrote:"The roar is from an ally. Someone who agreed to help for payment. As for Odium... You'd be surprised, Mr. Ulrich. If you weren't already dragged into this by seeing it, I'd say that question goes beyond your clearance." The Hive Droid responded.
The Lycan continued. "Odium is not a person so much as it is a force of nature. It is hatred incarnate. Spite personified. Malice given form."
"It's a corruption of the mind, and contagious like a disease. Odium is one of the primary roots of violence, and has the potential to inflict unending war upon the universe."
"There's more to this story, but I don't think it's a good idea to tell it here. It contains sensitive and important information that is probably best not told out in the open in the middle of a zombie attack."
"Yeah, once I get here with Kol, we should head inside the Hive Relay. The Lycan can explain things better while I try to fix things."
"Odium!?" Rika blurted out when the name was mentioned. She looked visibly shocked by this. "A-Are you serious?" She asked, regaing her composure. "L-Let's just get to the relay.."
Character Reference
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"Calm yourself, Doctor," Jenny said, looking around them warily and shooting a zombie that got a little too close. "Fear's not gonna help. And remind me to check any pill you want me to swallow, eh?" The smile was meant but still seemed cold and hard as she delivered it. "Jenny Miles," she said. "Codename:- Pistol."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich extended a hand to the fox person, "I am Ulrich Baumgartner. Good to meet you. Judging by your reaction to the explosion, I am guessing that was not an intended side effect? No matter, just don't blow us up, please?" He said, letting out a large laugh.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Bad idea. was prettymuch the only thought repeating in Kol's head as she decided to book it in the direction Hivemind had pointed.

Unfortunately, she's not the best sprinter...
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:"Calm yourself, Doctor," Jenny said, looking around them warily and shooting a zombie that got a little too close. "Fear's not gonna help. And remind me to check any pill you want me to swallow, eh?" The smile was meant but still seemed cold and hard as she delivered it. "Jenny Miles," she said. "Codename:- Pistol."
Rika turned back to Jenny. "You'd be worried too if you knew what Odium is capable of.. But you're right, Jenny, focusing on the task at hand is more important." She said, calming herself.
Deske wrote:Ulrich extended a hand to the fox person, "I am Ulrich Baumgartner. Good to meet you. Judging by your reaction to the explosion, I am guessing that was not an intended side effect? No matter, just don't blow us up, please?" He said, letting out a large laugh.
Rika jumped at the large hand extended to her, only because it took her by surprise. She nervously laughed it off and shook the profferd hand. "Ha, it's a pleasure, Ulrich. Rest assured though, all my concoctions are safe for consumption.. Mostly." She replied, finishing the handshake. "Just don't bite the red ones for the time being." She added, laughing herself.
Character Reference
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny brought her pistols back down to the previous setting and, turning towards the new incomers, began giving them supporting fire. "Come on, whoever you are!"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Hive droid grabbed Kol's arm and started urging her to move faster by pulling her along with him. He opened up his hip holster and grabbed his small pistol from it. He fired it at any incoming zombies as they reached the main group. Unfortunately, there were hundreds of undead closing in now. "Inside, INSIDE!" one hive droid said. "We can do these introductions later!" The other said. The Relay door opened up to let the group in. "Hurry please, before the dead get in." The Lycan ran to the door and covered the entrance and waited for everyone to get inside.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny backed towards the doors, ensuring she was the last of the newbies in whilst covering the others. Only when they were in did she enter herself. "About now I'd have changed guns," she admitted. "it'd stop the barrels overheating for one thing."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

While still trying to keep up a good pace, one of the undead manages to get close enough for a bite only to find its head enveloped and squeezed by a massive paw, while another one is getting punched in the abdomen. One contorted ribcage and popped head later and Kol is moving again, and is inside just before the doors close.
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana quickly followed, firing at incoming zombies before getting inside just before Kol, "Heck of a first day." She turned to the others, "Tatiana by the way," She said to Rika, "Now, on the to do list, restart the monitoring systems of the Necropolis, do something about the mini apocalypse and that there Odium. Should we get the sensors back online before you inform us about Odium? Prioritize, prioritize." Her helmets eye like lights shone around the room they found themselves in, searching for just about anything out of the norm or of interest.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich put his hands together and pulled them apart again, creating a small floating cube in his hand which cast a soft blue glow across the dark room, "I think we should get the monitoring equipment back up first. Finish the job we came for then we can get our answers."
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Kol's eyes are immediately drawn to Ulrich's light box, creeping up on him and poking it. completely distracted by a tiny glowy thing... again. this may become a reoccurring problem.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Once everyone was inside, Hivemind shut the door. "Everybody, this is Kol. Kol, this is everybody. Sorry for the poor introduction, but I need to hurry." He turned on the lights. It seemed the building itself had power. That must mean the relay itself was what needed fixing. He walked over to a room with some complicated machinery. Some of it looked damaged. "I can fix this, but I'll need some time. Lycan, you can tell them." With that, the two droids entered the machinery room.

The Lycan sat down on a bench in what was apparently a main lobby of some sort. "All right. I suppose with what's happened, it's only fair. It involves the third missing founder, Justus Cohen." He waited for people to settle down.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Ulrich watched Kol with some interest before the lights came back on. A little sad that he had to ruin the creatures fun he snapped his fingers and the cube shattered into nothingness, "Sorry, the light show is over. Maybe I can show you another time," he said as he gathered around the Lycan.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Kol seems disapointed at first, and honestly has no idea what anyone is talking about right now, but plays along. though, she is having a hard time not snickering at that name, as Cohen sound quite similar to the verb Kohah or, "To run away" and being a name it doesn't get converted by the translator.
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Rika was thankful when the lights came on. She wasn't scared of the dark, she was just glad the building had power still.
Then again, the light may attract more of 'them' outside.. She pushed the thought from her mind, they were safe in here for the while.

She sat on the nearest available chair or bench and waited for the Lycan to continue..
Character Reference
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

"I'm Jenny," the Rat told Kol after moving to the big creatures' side. Perhaps her smile would work this time. "I like the claws." She held up her own, tiny. ones. "Better than mine."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Kol is the closest thing to my name the doctors, or this machine can say." She explains, deliberately mimicking Hivemind's pronunciation and gesturing to the translator hanging by a velcro strip that's gotten caught in her furry clothing, in answer to Jenny's introduction. Followed by something that sounds vaguely similar to her name, if it were being pronounced with an elongated vowel and more of a choke sound for the 'K', in a way that would probably hurt for human vocal chords. The translator just gives an error ping.

"Bigger maybe." Kol commented, holding up a paw that was bigger than jenny's head. Grinning and answering with a soft laugh, before continuing. "but hardly better. Mine are in bad shape, scarred from mining." other than her top right paw, all of her claws are worn and chipped, some with grooves wide enough that one of jenny's claws would fit into them.

and in the case of the upper left one, still smeared with bits of rotted brain...
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

As Hivemind worked in the other room, the Lycan tried to think of where to begin. "Well... I suppose the first and most important thing would be to explain what many of you saw earlier. That shadowy creature was Odium. Odium is one of what we call the metaphysical aspects. They are entities that embody whatever their domain is. In Odium's case, that domain is hatred. Aspects don't just rule or draw power from their domain, they are their domain. Odium is literally hatred itself. A being of pure malice. Normally, they exist only as feelings we have, or emotions we feel. Most of the time, it's harmless. When it is concentrated enough, however, they have the ability to manifest as spectral beings like what you saw. When it manifests, Odium can and will rip out everything that makes you who you are. It feeds on you until there is nothing left but hatred. It takes whatever petty spite you may have and turns it into an obsession. Your defining trait. The only defense is to be alien to its domain; To have nothing in the world that you hate. I have only known one person who was ever able to do that. His name is... was... is Justus Cohen." He paused to make sure people were still following along.
-Champion Motto

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Tatiana, waiting for Lycan to continue, turned her ever smiling gaze towards Kol, turning off her eye lights, as they were no longer needed, "No offense, but you've gotta be the most interesting addition to this little squad." She turned her head back to Lycan and listened, deciding not to speak, though she had a theory as to where he was going.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

"Says the one hiding in armor. I thought you were a Metalskin like the Little God at first, but you move differently. More like that one." Kol comments, pointing Rika.

She gets distracted by Lycan though, chiming in as soon as he stops, with "Question; I'm probably going to regret this, but, what are "metaphysical" and "Manifest"? This sounds like it's going to be important..."
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The Lycan thought for a second, trying to figure out the least boring and shortest way to describe metaphysics. Not an easy task. "Metaphysical things are basically... they are things that exist, but only in the mind. They don't have a physical presence. Like fear or love or courage. They are concepts. By manifest, I mean it suddenly appeared to us physically." He continued his story. "Justus, also known in his day as the Dragon Knight, was the most compassionate and caring person I had ever met. So compassionate, in fact, that he was chosen to be the avatar of Odium's opposite, Diligitis. Diligitis is the aspect of love or compassion, and was able to work through Justus to weaken Odium's grasp wherever the beast could be found. For the longest time, The Dragon Knight worked with the Champions to protect the defenseless."

"There was a problem though. Having a close connection to an being like Diligitis... changed him. It took his compassionate personality to the absolute extreme. Our job is dangerous, and though we try our best, sometimes... there isn't a way to make sure everyone comes out in one piece. We were considering allowing non-powered Champions, who were often not strong enough to risk bringing in an opponent alive, to use lethal force if needed. To the all-seeing and all-loving Dragon Knight, however, this was like asking a father to let one child destroy the other. Ultimately he won the argument and we developed unique non-lethal weapons to give our Champions. However, he realized that while he took sides, there would always be someone who would hate him for choosing the other side. He couldn't stand the thought, so he left. He only showed up whenever Odium reared it's head. That was five years ago." He paused. Then continued.

"One year later, the Beacon got hit hard by pirates. They were well funded and well equipped. They got past the outer defenses, and wrecked havoc on the civilian districts. Many people were killed or injured. Enraged, The Immortal Legionnaire, one of the other missing founders, took a small army of Champions and launched a full scale invasion of the home planet of those pirates in order to take revenge. An act of extreme anger and hatred. It was calculated that thousands would have been caught in the crossfire between the rouge champions and the planet's defenses, if it wasn't for the arrival of the Dragon Knight. The immortal Legionnaire and the unstoppable Dragon Knight dueled for hours. I think Justus saw that, if the battle continued, our friend's anger at him for leaving would turn into pure hatred. The Legionnaire would loose the last few things he cared about, and Odium was ready to claim him as its own unstoppable pawn. So Justus did what nobody was prepared for. Nobody thought he could be hurt. He was invulnerable, capable of taking anything anyone threw at him. Nobody... No one thought he would or could... impale himself... on the Legionnaire's sword."

"The... shock was beyond words. All hatred, all thought, was replaced with silent numbness. Odium was instantly denied an avatar, an army of superhuman servants, and an entire planet in one simple move by the bravest guy I ever knew. Justus... wasn't found afterwards. The injury had ruptured the source of his power, and..." He paused and looked down sadly. "No one knows what happened to him after that. He has not been seen since. Neither has Odium. Until today, that is." He looked up again. He wasn't sure about what he was going to say next, but he said it anyway. "I think... we may have seen both of them today. I think I might know where they have been all this time."
-Champion Motto

~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Rika shifted in her seat and lightly coughed before speaking. "I-I remember the pirate attack, I was part of a large group of survivors holed up in a transport depot, first time I used my capsules in a real situation. But, I don't remember anything about Legionnaire going to their planet for revenge.. Although I understand you wanting to keep that out of the public eye.. And, uh, Justus. He was my Idol growing up, I never knew.." At that moment she started to cry, tears welling in her eyes. "S-sorry, I just-" Rika wiped her eyes and sighed. "P-please, don't mind me.. As you were saying, Lycan, you think you know where Odium and Justus were all this time?"
Character Reference
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jenny crossed to Rika, transferring the pistol in her right hand to join the other in her left for a moment. She put the empty hand on the medic's shoulder. "I know it's hard," she said, "but, if this thing uses your emotions, you can't give it any to use. Bottle them until later, when it's not gonna bite you. You did OK out there. Keep it going."
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"I do." He said, looking sympathetically at Rika. "Neither Justus nor Odium have been seen since, though both were very active prior to that incident. For the two of you who weren't there to see it, and be grateful you didn't have to, Odium appeared to us earlier. He looked weak to me. None of you have seen him at his strongest. He was without form, and more importantly, he was bound in chains of light. The only one powerful enough to bind a god-like being like Odium was The Dragon Knight. I think Justus drove a stake through Odium that day, and ran it into the ground. From the looks of those chains, he has been battling to contain the demon for the past four years." The thought filled him with hope, as well as fear. If Justus had been containing Odium all this time, why did the creature appear? Why now, after all this time?
-Champion Motto