Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

For playing all sorts of silly I-don't-know-whats

Moderators: Render, ArcWolf

Legotron123

Re: Case: Housepets!-A Choose Your Own Adventure Game

Post by Legotron123 »

Wait, why would we want to break the fuse box? That seems........ Kinda dumb.
Anyways, let's go down the middle path. The indecisiveness described seems like it's probably Charlie.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I say we follow the right path.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Remember, Bravo's eyesight is poor. In identifying the prints, Echo's inspection is probably more reliable.

Also...

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DOOOOOO!!!!!!! MYKNOWLEDGEOFGAMETROPESISUSELESS!!!!!!!!!! *Runs around in circles screaming before locking up in a BSOD*
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I still think the left path, but at this point do whatever. I seriously doubt we're going to get there in time now, given how much got wasted rechecking things.

from the damage scaling in the starwars bit, i figured the most Charlie could take was four hits, and wanted to get us underway BEFORE it got to three, but that's not happening now.

i'll start picking out an outfit for the funeral...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Lance316

Post by Lance316 »

Ok. I have no reasoning but let's go down the middle path
What do we do now Lance?
We ascend from darkness.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I'd say send each person down a different path when Echo arrives with the parents.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Buster wrote:I still think the left path, but at this point do whatever. I seriously doubt we're going to get there in time now, given how much got wasted rechecking things.

from the damage scaling in the starwars bit, i figured the most Charlie could take was four hits, and wanted to get us underway BEFORE it got to three, but that's not happening now.

i'll start picking out an outfit for the funeral...
There are 6 tiers of a normal character's health with no protection or other attributes: Good Fine Okay Low Bad and Critical
How long a character lasts while in danger depends on how severe the damage dealt is.
ImageImageImageImage
HellishK9

Post by HellishK9 »

Lets head down the middle path and try to find any sign of Charlie.
When Echo comes out with the parents they would probably split up so each of them has their own path.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Go mid, that way you can either go to either of the other paths' destinations faster if you find something.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Oh wait! We should make it obvious which path we went down, so that our parents know to go down the other ones.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Well, you could use one of the sticks to scratch an arrow in the dirt on the way out, assuming your still set on the middle path.
though whatever it is do it QUICKLY.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Buster wrote:Well, you could use one of the sticks to scratch an arrow in the dirt on the way out, assuming your still set on the middle path.
He can use a couple sticks to indicate where he goes anyway by forming a 'V' pointing down the path. At this point, I'm torn between the left and middle paths.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I think we want a weapon. The rod is more durable, but I'm worried about grip. Stick has better grip, but it breaks more easily, AND it's shorter. If Charlie falls into the river, we want to be able to reach him.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

D-Rock wrote:I think we want a weapon. The rod is more durable, but I'm worried about grip. Stick has better grip, but it breaks more easily, AND it's shorter. If Charlie falls into the river, we want to be able to reach him.
Good call. Form a 'V' with the sticks pointing down the path Bravo takes and grab the pole as a weapon/means of reaching Charlie.

Also, did anyone else notice early on that all three pups' names come from the NATO phonetic alphabet? I wonder if that'll become relevant later or Chaoko just couldn't think of any other names.

AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

Okay! Using the powers of deductive reasoning, of have decided that we must take the right path. I have realized this because both it and the middle path have scent that is familiar to Bravo, and as we can all see on the first page of this thread, Bravo has Charlie's scent in his inventory, so he would definitely recognize it. However, the path to the right has a strong scent, and that usually means that someone was there more recently, thus, meaning that Charlie took the path that is on the right! LOGIC FOR THE WIN! *Smashes bottle on own head and is knocked out*
Let's give it everything we've got! Get ready, because it's Punishment Time!
-Monokuma

What? Even if I like dark topics, I can't resist cuteness.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

except that if it was charlie's he would have indicated that rather than talking about the scents being familiar but hard to place.
AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

*Is somehow conscious again* Well, if you want to go by that logic, then here's the true answer: Charlie took none of those paths. For none of those paths does it say that Bravo smells Charlie, only things that are familiar and unfamiliar. If you say that it might not be the path to the right because it doesn't specifically say that he smells Charlie's scent, then it couldn't be the middle or the left path because they don't have that scent either. We have to assume that that familiar scent is referring to Charlie, as the only other scent that is in Bravo's inventory is Echo's, and we know that he wouldn't take the path to the right. So, yet again, it is logical to assume that Charlie took the path to the right and we must go that way before he gets seriously hurt.
-Monokuma

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Except your counter argument relies on equating absence of evidence with evidence of absence, a logical fallacy, when my point was that the evidence is inconclusive due to lack of specifics, and the decision should be based on something else.
Llyrelated

Post by Llyrelated »

I agree with AnimeNerd88. It seems likely to me that the word "familiar" was used because explicitly stating it was Charlie's makes the decision too easy.
“Brave words from a man not holding a squid”
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Except that it's a massive red herring, it points at the path where we already know from echo, that something arrived, left, then arrived again. If Charlie went that way, then the other creature would have had to leave a different way both times, begging the question of what is attacking Charlie, since whatever raided the yard can't have gone that way. However if it's the other animal he's smelling, it leaving a different way than it arrived despite not doing that before could indicate it followed Charlie, or had to change tactics due to his presence.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

So basically: 1 left, 4 mid, 2 right and 1 "Use the sticks and grab the pole"
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Not A Furry wrote:So basically: 1 left, 4 mid, 2 right and 1 "Use the sticks and grab the pole"
That last one is a separate action; upon choosing a path, form a 'V' with the sticks so Echo and the parents know where Bravo went and take the pole as a weapon/reach.

The right path seems the least likely to me and the slowest to traverse. Considering that all of the tracks on the right are deep, a light animal like Charlie couldn't have made them.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Mine counts more as "anything but right."
AnimeNerd88

Post by AnimeNerd88 »

Okay, COME ON! It's so clearly the path to the right! It's the only thing that makes sense! It's the only one that has a familiar scent that is strong, meaning someone went down it recently, and we know that Bravo has two scents in his inventory; Charlie's and Echo's. That means one of them went down that path recently and, surprise, it's not Echo. Chaoko clearly didn't want the answer to be obvious, so he only refered to it the scent as familiar. And we can quickly dismiss the middle path because that's the path the family would take often, so of course there's a familiar scent there! PLEASE! IT'S SO FREAKING OBVIOUS!
-Monokuma

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

The scent being familiar is not conclusive.
You know this scent, you've smelled it multiple times. But, all things considered, you still can't quite tell what it is.
Look at how this is phrased, he's uncertain, not just of who it is but of what it is. he can't even tell if it's canine. if it was one of the scents he's memorized, he should atleast be certain of what he's smelling, even if not who.

Besides which, even if there weren't gaping holes in your logic, a solution that straight forward would never make it into an adventure game.

Rule #1 of adventure games: Everything is convoluted.
-If you want your peripheral vision of the power box not to be arbitrarily obstructed when examining the yard, you need to examine the irrelevant looking shiny thing on the ground. Sound familiar?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Legotron123 wrote:Wait, why would we want to break the fuse box? That seems........ Kinda dumb.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Everything happens for a reason
CyberDragon wrote:Remember, Bravo's eyesight is poor. In identifying the prints, Echo's inspection is probably more reliable.

Also...

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DOOOOOO!!!!!!! MYKNOWLEDGEOFGAMETROPESISUSELESS!!!!!!!!!! *Runs around in circles screaming before locking up in a BSOD*
Well runnin' around in circles ain't gonna help ya now is it?! :lol:
Naro Rivers wrote:
D-Rock wrote:I think we want a weapon. The rod is more durable, but I'm worried about grip. Stick has better grip, but it breaks more easily, AND it's shorter. If Charlie falls into the river, we want to be able to reach him.
Also, did anyone else notice early on that all three pups' names come from the NATO phonetic alphabet? I wonder if that'll become relevant later or Chaoko just couldn't think of any other names.
If my memory serves me correct, Echo was the first character I named, then I named Charlie. When thinking of what to name Bravo, I realized that Charlie was actually apart of the NATO phonetic alphabet as well, and fittingly gave him his name. The initial naming process was accidental, but the theme became consistent after Bravo.
Legotron123 wrote:Anyways, let's go down the middle path. The indecisiveness described seems like it's probably Charlie.
Lance316 wrote:Ok. I have no reasoning but let's go down the middle path
HellishK9 wrote:Lets head down the middle path and try to find any sign of Charlie.
When Echo comes out with the parents they would probably split up so each of them has their own path.
Not A Furry wrote:Go mid, that way you can either go to either of the other paths' destinations faster if you find something.
Naro Rivers wrote:
Buster wrote:Well, you could use one of the sticks to scratch an arrow in the dirt on the way out, assuming your still set on the middle path.
He can use a couple sticks to indicate where he goes anyway by forming a 'V' pointing down the path. At this point, I'm torn between the left and middle paths.
---------------------

Bravo: (He has to have gone down the middle path, Charlie must have come out here looking for whatever's been causing the damage! That would explain why it looks like the prints on the road where all over the place at the start. It's getting hard to see the prints ahead of me, that must mean they're light enough to be Charlie's! Hold on Charlie, I'm on my way!)

You make the decision to go down the middle path, and leave the sticks you found pointing in the same direction. You then hurry along the path in hopes of finding any trace of Charlie...

(don't worry about the deja vu, you'll get what that means soon)

You need to get help, and fast. You have to save Charlie!

1) Go upstairs
2) Go to the kitchen
3) Get the thing on the shelf
4) Leave to look for Charlie
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sure, don't pick up a weapon. :|

Not looking good. Frankly, I do NOT trust these pups to know how to handle a gun properly. Two things are dangerous; a guy who's skilled with a firearm, and a guy who has no clue what they're doing.

Kinda wishing I knew where their parents room is. I doubt they'd be in the kitchen this late, and I don't recall anything important in there when we had dinner.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

D-Rock wrote:Sure, don't pick up a weapon. :|

Not looking good. Frankly, I do NOT trust these pups to know how to handle a gun properly. Two things are dangerous; a guy who's skilled with a firearm, and a guy who has no clue what they're doing.

Kinda wishing I knew where their parents room is. I doubt they'd be in the kitchen this late, and I don't recall anything important in there when we had dinner.
Only you and Naro decided to pick up the pipe, 2 people was not enough to make this decision. The sticks were just barely passed in terms of an action, honestly I probably shouldn' have done that anyway but eh, I wanted to throw ya a bone there. It was a minor clever action I didn't think many if any would think to do :roll:

Also, PSSSSST, their room might be the only other room on the second floor. :P
ImageImageImageImage
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Wait a sec... Danger level is white now? does that mean... did we make the right choice?
-Champion Motto

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Can't help but think that that only applies to our player character, but Charlie has gotten hurt while we were still trying to figure out what to do.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

But every time the Charley got hurt, the danger level went from yellow to orange, then back to yellow. The danger level means that depending on your choice, something bad might happen to one of the characters, not necessarily the one we control. If the danger was only for Echo, then there shouldn't be a danger level period, as he should be as safe in the house as they were earlier.
-Champion Motto

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Danger does not only count physical harm, it also considers the chance to lose major evidence or opportunities. However, it still takes the entire current known focus of the scene into account.
ImageImageImageImage
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

soo... The reduction in danger level means we did something right? Or does it mean we changed scenes?
-Champion Motto

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

ImageWOULD YOU PEOPLE JUST CHOOSE SOMETHING ALREADY?!
ImageImageImageImage
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sorry! I'm just really nervous!

Do we know where the parents are? I'm assuming upstairs, right? I doubt they are in the kitchen. We need to get them ASAP, so I'd say go upstairs.
-Champion Motto

Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I say we go upstairs.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

I want to get in on this, is there a summary post somewhere so new players can see what's going on?

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Bandit1990 wrote:I want to get in on this, is there a summary post somewhere so new players can see what's going on?
As far as I know of, no. But if you wanted to save time, you can just skip the posts by anyone who isn't CHAOKOCartoons when reading. It shouldn't take long to catch up if you do that.
-Champion Motto

Llyrelated

Post by Llyrelated »

Go upstairs.
“Brave words from a man not holding a squid”
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Bandit1990 wrote:I want to get in on this, is there a summary post somewhere so new players can see what's going on?
There will be a summary after every chapter, or perhaps every major portion as well. After Chapter 1 (which is almost over) there will be an easier way to read through the story that's been told and future updates without having to sift through a bunch of other posts. ;)
ImageImageImageImage