Housepets! Animated! Central Development Thread

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Re: Housepets! Animated! Central Development Thread

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

GameCobra wrote:Shouldn't spot be voiced by Peanut? since it's practically Peanut's comic, i'd imagine them doing it under his voice =P
tsMKG wrote:Gotta say that Stripe is similar to Grape. So...
That's what I was thinking. Peanut could put on a heroic-like voice and that could be spots voice, and Stripe was pretty much meant to be and act like Grape so we might as well have Grape voice her (plus I always read her line's with Grapes voice in my mind :P )

EDIT: Holy heck guys, I randomly had a burst of inspiration out of nowhere for the intro song for the show and managed to write it down, as long as keep the beat in mind! Here's the lyrics: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ypS ... sp=sharing

It's written to be able to change perspective of characters as time goes on. Season 1 being just Peanut and Grape, Season 2 being Peanut, Grape, Max, and Tarot, Season 3 Being Peanut, Grape, Max, Tarot, King, and Bailey, ect. ect.
And yeah, it kinda sounds like a Grapenut song if you look at it a certain way. I didn't intend for that to happen (heck I don't even ship it), but if people wanna think of it as one that's okay. The song works for both a close friendship or a relationship, so really it's up to personal opinion, which I like. :D
I'm still working on trying to make the beat into reality, it's not easy to write out how it goes and what instruments should be used, but I know what it is! I'd have to literally sing it to show you what it's supposed to be like, so I'm just gonna hope you guys can get what it is by reading it to yourself :lol:

So, any thoughts? Changes? Suggestions?
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

I think the song would be better if I knew the exact tune but in all it's good
Foxes unite!!!!!!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Yeah, it's very specific and rather up-beat. I'll have to actually make a beta version of the score to show you, or somehow work with Kitsune to make it.
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

If you could write out the notes, it sounds like it could be pretty good. I've gotten rusty when it comes to reading music, though, but I wouldn't mind trying again.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

I'm kind of with Snappy here. It has a cadence, but I can't really infer a tune. I started with that of the existing fan-made theme, but quickly found that it doesn't fit.

It would make sense for Peanut to do at least some of the voices in the Spot (Superdog) comics, though I think that Peanut would imagine a unique voice for Spot that he would use instead in the Pridelands arc. Feel free to agree or disagree, but I imagine that, after Tarot joins in, the characters in that arc would have their own voices and switch between those and those of their players depending on whether they're speaking in character.

For example, Grape and Max would speak using Illaya's and Parnok's voices, respectively, when in character and their own voices when out of character (such as when squeeing).

It may be a bit much, though.
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well Chaoko, nice job, but as the others said, I'll need to know the beat.

As for the Spot voices, I think it would make sense if the characters were voiced by Peanut(Yoshimoshi), but they don't need to sound obviously like him. Yoshimoshi could use a totally different type of voice for some characters and people maybe wouldn't even notice. But of course, the female(only 1 actually I think) characters that appear in Spot would just be voiced by Grape(Gasuuba, right?).
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Okay, when I get the time I'll just record me singing it then. Don't expect me to actually full on SING it though, I know where my talents lie and it's not in singing (except apparently as Rex) :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Seriously, you guys are really making me want to try this out.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I would say even the girls would be voiced by Peanut. However, depending if you want it done this way, if it's certain Grape is present in the comic, you can temporarily substitute the girls with Grape just for depth.

I'm also certain Grape and Max are only in-character in the Pridelands imaginate episode twice - once before they squee and when the castle is attacked in broad daylight =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Good point

Honorable Intentions

Post by Honorable Intentions »

Hey everyone!

Just here to announce that I am still among the living and that Episode 2: The Game ALMOST has a finished script. At the moment of this post, I just need to transcribe the final two strips of the arc and it will be set. Sorry for the wait. It's a little more complex to sequence and IRL stuff has been bogging me down some, but you didn't come here for excuses ;)

All in all, I forgot how funny this one was and it's going to be great seeing this one animated.
Retto-the-Otter wrote:Where is the script for the first episode? I probably should have read the whole topic before joining; if a link (and I'm just assuming it's a link) was posted on a previous page, just point me in the direction of that page.
Yo! You can just hop on over to the HP!TAS Script Archive to see the scripts -- heck since they're google docs you might even see me writing one in real time if you check at the right hour. Nice to meet you Retto! It's a little late, but congrats on getting the part for Bino.

Also, so I don't entirely derail things: if we end up doing Superdog episodes, we could go all meta on it. Like in the early strips Peanut does all the voices, then as the comics "improve" the voices could become more distinct from each other. However, I am all for Yoshi doing exaggerated comic book character voices in character as Peanut. The idea is just kinda charming to me. I suppose in the end it's really all up to what he wants to do, I really haven't heard his input yet.

As for the theme, I agree in that there's a cadence (suppose that's a given when you have a rhyme-scheme), but I'm not quite hearing a beat. Part of me wants to bang some chords together on my cheap casio keyboard and figure out a beat from there. I would do it on some better equipment but that's...out of order for the time being, so I don't think I'll be doing "final draft" type work. More than likely I'll just wait and hear CHAOKO sing the rough draft and a better musician than me can work out the kinks haha.
At the end of the day I often think about what I have done for the world. What I have changed, perhaps made better or worse. I then sit at a computer for hours and look at pictures of cats.

RP Character:
Lucky Abbot: S-9 P-6 E-7 C-6 I-7 A-4 L-3
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Honorable Intentions wrote:
Retto-the-Otter wrote:Where is the script for the first episode? I probably should have read the whole topic before joining; if a link (and I'm just assuming it's a link) was posted on a previous page, just point me in the direction of that page.
Yo! You can just hop on over to the HP!TAS Script Archive to see the scripts -- heck since they're google docs you might even see me writing one in real time if you check at the right hour. Nice to meet you Retto! It's a little late, but congrats on getting the part for Bino.
Thanks for the link, and good idea archiving them in one place.

It's nice to meet the writer. I like the extra lines you added between the strips; it helps the arc flow better.

DrGuthrie

Post by DrGuthrie »

I love the lyrics of the song I can't wait to hear how it goes!!!

As far as the Spot comics go I think it would be funny for it all to be voiced by Peanut but he tries to do voices he feels for the role. Like if it is a girl character he will talk in a semi high voice which you can tell is still peanut just doing the voice. I think that will highlight the ridicules nature of the Spot comics and also it is fitting behavior for Peanut.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Finally found the time to record the song. Didn't do as bad as I thought I would, I ended up accidentally slipping into other voices while singing it and I think that somehow made it better. Almost slipped into my Peanut/Joey voice in the second one though :lol:
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b7srs ... dition.mp3
I think the second version of the beat is actually better for the sole reason that I had no trouble doing it in one go (as heard in my reaction at the end. Hopefully that gives you guys an idea as to how it goes, me'n Kitsune will be working on how the instrumental should actually sound in the meantime. But mostly Kitsune cause I'm only okay at making music.
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I like the beat of the second one better I think, nice job overall.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

The second is definitely improved, though having an accompaniment will probably make it even better.

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

SuperStar wrote:I like the beat of the second one better I think, nice job overall.
Retto-the-Otter wrote:The second is definitely improved, though having an accompaniment will probably make it even better.
Yep, figured about as much! Though I'm pretty sure I won't be the one singing it Retto (and we'd definitely not use THAT take :P ). To be fair, I wasn't trying very hard to sing well in those takes so I MIGHT be able to do a passable job if I actually cared enough, but still I'm pretty sure there's way better voice talent for us to use. I mean I guess I'll try if we really don't have anyone that can match the tone of the instrumental, but as of right now we don't even know what the instrumental is. Since it's the second one, it'll probably sound similar to the original HP! Theme, and perhaps have some chimes and xylophones and whatnot. Not really the best for my low singing range. :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

my email is messing up again so much reading

if you want the tune for the song made I know someone who makes music
and does it for free just need to give him an idea of what you want I can contact him if you're interested?
Foxes unite!!!!!!
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
SuperStar wrote:I like the beat of the second one better I think, nice job overall.
Retto-the-Otter wrote:The second is definitely improved, though having an accompaniment will probably make it even better.
Yep, figured about as much! Though I'm pretty sure I won't be the one singing it Retto (and we'd definitely not use THAT take :P ). To be fair, I wasn't trying very hard to sing well in those takes so I MIGHT be able to do a passable job if I actually cared enough, but still I'm pretty sure there's way better voice talent for us to use. I mean I guess I'll try if we really don't have anyone that can match the tone of the instrumental, but as of right now we don't even know what the instrumental is. Since it's the second one, it'll probably sound similar to the original HP! Theme, and perhaps have some chimes and xylophones and whatnot. Not really the best for my low singing range. :lol:
I heard some high brass and guitar blends in my head as I listened to the 2nd take. Maybe a synthetic drum accompaniment and a soft 5-string bassline. Or the standard live drums and progressive chord synths of substream pop would fit well, too.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Guess I should mention this because it's related to the animated Series:

I'll be doing a stream today from 12:00pm-4:30pm Pacific Time inking and coloring the show's youtube art (The big sketch I posted a while back). If I finish that early, I'll either work on some other Housepets! Fanimated! art or begin taking requests to draw until the stream is over.
I thought it'd be the perfect time to discuss some stuff or ideas for the series and things related to the series, and maybe even show what's currently in the teaser while I'm at it. Hopefully I'll be able to see some of you guys there! :D

I'll be streaming it on my twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/chaokocartoons
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

I was just chatting with Chaoko and brought up the idea of us, the project members, using a voice chat during the stream (instead of the slow-as-howl Twitch chat) and he seems to like the idea. What do you guys think?

Honorable Intentions

Post by Honorable Intentions »

Oh yes, real time voice chat sounds like a much better option.
At the end of the day I often think about what I have done for the world. What I have changed, perhaps made better or worse. I then sit at a computer for hours and look at pictures of cats.

RP Character:
Lucky Abbot: S-9 P-6 E-7 C-6 I-7 A-4 L-3
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Sounds interesting, but I'll just type. I don't have a convenient mic. Also I don't want to be talking out loud to people through the internet with my family in the hous.e
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

He and I have been communicating through Skype, though we also have TeamSpeak.

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Due to unforeseen circumstances, the stream will have to be moved back to Monday, 4/25/16. Carry on guys.
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

Same time?

snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

how many are actually animating the show?
Foxes unite!!!!!!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Retto-the-Otter wrote:Same time?
Yes
snappyfox wrote:how many are actually animating the show?
Technically speaking, I'm the only animator. However, I recently began sending the sketches to Retto so he can ink and color them so it could both save us time and give me some relief. So you could say that there are 2 people working on the animation.
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

cool once everything is ready how often do you plan to release episodes or will is be whenever its done type of thing

(I have no good questions anymore)
Foxes unite!!!!!!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Personally, I was thinking about making it a monthly update, however I don't think our team can work fast enough to make that happen, so it will more than likely be a "whenever it's done thing". On a side note, I had the idea to add a few more things that are put onto the channel in between main episodes to keep them occupied. One being the "side episodes" being comprised of the one offs, short arcs, or Spot (Superdog) arcs, and another being demonstrations on how I draw each of the characters (which I've been asked to do more times than I can count).
By doing this, the youtube channel can be seen as a respectable channel on it's own with decent traffic flow, as well as letting people know that the show is still alive in between our large gaps in episodes if they don't check either here or the show's Twitter.

All of these things will have to be discussed amongst the team, and are subject to change. Speaking of which, what do you guys think about that? :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

It sounds good to me, but I think whether short arcs are included in actual episodes should be done on a case-by-case basis; things shouldn't be done arbitrarily.

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Well yeah, they'd be done in the same order as they are in in the comic, and obviously the ones that don't translate well into episode form like "Thematic Arc of Questionable Quality" or the "All Hallow's Ween" arcs won't be made into one either. Though some could probably be pretty flexible with when they are posted, as they can be pretty un-reliant on the events of the main story. I'd prefer to try and do them in order unless it's necessary though.
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

I've been wanting to make a 3D animated housepets thing I even have some models
maybe one day we could work together to make a 3D animated housepets minisode?
Foxes unite!!!!!!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I'd be down for that, but much later in the series maybe, that definitely shouldn't be something we think about now as we haven't even released an episode let alone the teaser :lol:
I actually do have experience in T-Pose Concept, 3D modeling, Rigging, and animating, so we'd totally be able to do it. And heck, the models may be useful for future games after Tails of Babylon ;)
ImageImageImageImage
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I actually do have experience in T-Pose Concept, 3D modeling, Rigging, and animating, so we'd totally be able to do it. And heck, the models may be useful for future games after Tails of Babylon ;)
I've had an idea for a Housepets! social game a la Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley floating around in my head. I won't pitch it here so as to not go off-topic, but if you want details, feel free to talk to me directly.

snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

I've had an idea for a Housepets! social game a la Harvest Moon or Stardew Valley floating around in my head.

same

well if you ever feel like making a 3D animated episode I have models and I'm working on more
Foxes unite!!!!!!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Oh really? If you don't mind me asking could you show me the 3D models you've done so far? Either screenshots here or PM will do.

Actually on that note, I probably should mention that I did a sculpt base for a 3D model of Peanut. It's not the actual model, but it's the base mesh for me to go over rather than making concept art. I only did it because while you where talking about that I was in the middle of learning how to make models with the sculpting method. If you already have 3D models done, I can just use this for other Housepets! stuff. :)

EDIT: also, if anyone is still confused about the whole "muzzle looks closer from the front" thing, direct them to this image and it will explain it :lol: There's a chance that was talked about in the Tails of Babylon thread and not here so me saying this may mean absolutely nothing

EDIT EDIT: Also not really sure why I didn't apply the smooth scaling to hide the polygons, whoops :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

I can post links to the ones i've uploaded I have bailey, king, ralph, fido, kevin and fox all but king and bailey are in K-uniform from the wallpaper

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/18543037/

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/18515237/

I'm thinking of making the Milton ferrets next then maybe grape and peanut what is easy is that the faces are all the same as I have come to notice from modeling them
also I will be making a topic about 3D pintable's in the future when I'm not nervous

Edit: should mention the chins have been smoothed out and fixed on all models
Foxes unite!!!!!!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Wow! Very impressive! The texture and cell shading is on point to the comic's cartoony style, and from the looks of it the character's anatomy is very good as well! Though from Bailey's screenshot, her head seems to be angled a bit far back (unless that's what you smoothed out later) but it's not that big of a deal as even that still looks good. :)
And yeah, like you said most cat and dog characters share the same facial structure, so ideally if you already made a canine and a feline you're set. The same goes for ears, ideally you just gotta kinda swap em around.

You clearly know what you're doing, so when and if we do a 3D minisode I'll let you take the reigns there and help you out how I can when necessary. And technically speaking, we now have 3 animators! :D
ImageImageImageImage
snappyfox

Post by snappyfox »

a can only do basic animations like walking also that just the angle of baileys head
Foxes unite!!!!!!