Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Re: Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I did not encounter this problem with shrinking it, however now it looks really pixely up close because of how big the original sprite was :? Does it at least look good in the game?
Attachments
Majestic Flight 97.png
Majestic Flight 97.png (7.93 KiB) Viewed 10005 times
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I actually had another idea for a boss character earlier, but I decided it would be too much. Now, people, when I say that my ideas are too much, take that as a sign to run to the hills.

Also, of course I preferred the Avatar set up for Reinhardt (liking this name better than my original idea of Reinier), but when another idea comes in and an agreement is not reached, I'll keep both in consideration, even if I prefer one over the other. The Shadows are an example of this. Anyway, I think we should have some skirmishes with him over the course of the game, but at the end, he goes all out with his own Avatar power-up.

And about the zoo chapter, I'd cast my vote for the Monolith. Something is inhabiting it. Maybe a later chapter would be a fight against the one who was there in person/animal.

That size for Majestic Flight looks fine to me, Chaoko, but everyone, remember that I said that this wasn't finished. Shading will be added at a later time.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

D-Rock wrote:I actually had another idea for a boss character earlier, but I decided it would be too much. Now, people, when I say that my ideas are too much, take that as a sign to run to the hills.

Also, of course I preferred the Avatar set up for Reinhardt (liking this name better than my original idea of Reinier), but when another idea comes in and an agreement is not reached, I'll keep both in consideration, even if I prefer one over the other. The Shadows are an example of this. Anyway, I think we should have some skirmishes with him over the course of the game, but at the end, he goes all out with his own Avatar power-up.
I honestly don't even think we're ready to pick an avatar, but majority does rule after all. And I'm okay with that, also I as well like the name of Reinhardt better then Reiner. Before we come up with an avatar we should discuss the rules of Nue and Olde's game, and possibly who he/they're playing against, this in total would remove all confusion, for us and the players, that way they also know somewhere during the game that Kitsunes rules do not apply.
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
BloomingDaemon

Post by BloomingDaemon »

I love the idea for Reinhardt (Yay! My name idea stuck!!) to be a reoccurring mini-boss/boss throughout, albeit occasional (like, I dunno, every other chapter after his introduction?). But as Unusuallynamedperson pointed out, our current focus, for only a little while, should be on details on Nue and Olde's game, since, as far as I know, we haven't yet finalized.

-- I just know we'll come back to the Reinhardt discussion in less than two pages. It won't be forgotten, I'll make sure of it. ^0w0^ --
^0w0^ <--My original emoticon, I swear!
Unusuallynamedperson

I like the reoccurring idea, but just taking a little while for this sorta thing is not a good idea. We should take all the time we need on the rules of the game long before the avatar otherwise we'll just get stuck in a loop again.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The weapon looks really nice and it definitely will make Marvin look more cooler than he actually is! It is very wonderful! I just didn't see it being a crossbow because I didn't see the string for the arrow (and I still don't).
Unusuallynamedperson

Amazee Dayzee wrote:The weapon looks really nice and it definitely will make Marvin look more cooler than he actually is! It is very wonderful! I just didn't see it being a crossbow because I didn't see the string for the arrow (and I still don't).
Actually that may be a problem, I don't see a string either and it is very easy to notice, but I don't think it would be to hard to put one in the background so that it looks like it's attached to the bow.

Also as of rules for Nue's game, I think it should be similar to kitsunes, but not exactly alike, so we could say that only zoo animals were aloud, and that Reinhardt's aggression was a key part to Nue's/Olde's Avatar. Tell me what you think guys/girls.

Don't use what i've below for the game, but here is an idea of what I mean.
Attachments
Don't use, but demo!.jpg
Don't use, but demo!.jpg (3.13 KiB) Viewed 10022 times
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

We've already worked out the rules of the game. Nue is something of a JRPG otaku and has set things in motion in the Housepets! universe so that the pets will have to play his own JRPG for his own amusement and has set himself up as the "unbeatable final boss". So as seen in the demos, the play style, weaponry, items, and plots are going to draw from JRPG tropes and styles with several chapters of story leading up to the eventual battle with Nue. That's done. ;)
One of the things we're doing currently is deciding on chapter story lines, and we've only got 1, 2, and 3 planned out fully to my knowledge. So discussion on Reinhardt is most topical.
Unusuallynamedperson

Um, okay thanks for the recap, or just cap. What sort of weaponry/attacks will Reinhardt have as an avatar, and how will he progress throughout the game then?

I am going to assume that he somehow, gradually becomes more and more powerful as the player fights him over and over again. So the question I guess is how?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I've got an idea as to what the fine print of his rules should look like, but I'm not sure if it'll ever need to be described:

We know it's based on JRPG's and that he scrambled Babylon gardens to work in game form. Nue is allowed to make ferals into enemies and create monsters, and choose certain ones as bosses of certain areas (dungeons). From what it seems, the pets and people of Babylon are considered to play the role of "the heroes" or at least be immune to Nue's control (with the exception of the Zoo animals, who are still considered feral). Nue and Olde of course are the "final bosses" (or as they would like to say, "UNBEATABLE final bosses".

Much like how Nue & Olde have minions (random encounters) and leaders, the heroes have something similar along those lines. NPC's (though they don't actually fight) and side party members would be considered the hero's minions, and their bosses are the main Party Members. Then again, since it's JRPG based the NPC's could just have their own neutral classification, and the party members could just be considered the heroes. Either one works really.

Now, if there are avatars I'd assume the bosses wouldn't be considered that. Like Kitsune's game, there'd have to be one main Avatar on each side, with their leaders/party members being like their "reliefs". I can only assume Peanut or Grape would be the avatar for the hero's side. Reinhardt would be Nue and Olde's avatar.

This is just an idea based on what we have so far, of course. What do the rest of you guys think?
ImageImageImageImage
BloomingDaemon

Post by BloomingDaemon »

I like that idea, Chaoko! Reinhardt is the trickster fox, anyhow!
^0w0^ <--My original emoticon, I swear!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

First off, don't worry about the weapon not having a drawstring. Remember how I likened it to the energy slingshot used in Star Wars Rebels? The string and bolt didn't materialize until drawn back. Same idea here.

Also, didn't think that the rules of Nue's game were even necessary. It's just him having his fun.

And more thoughts in blue. (Chaoko, only reason I do your posts like this is because there's a lot of points for me to talk about)
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I've got an idea as to what the fine print of his rules should look like, but I'm not sure if it'll ever need to be described:

We know it's based on JRPG's and that he scrambled Babylon gardens to work in game form Still not keen on that idea. Nue is allowed to make ferals into enemies and create monsters, and choose certain ones as bosses of certain areas (dungeons). From what it seems, the pets and people of Babylon are considered to play the role of "the heroes" or at least be immune to Nue's control (with the exception of the Zoo animals, who are still considered feral) I'd go with it being there role, as Nue chose them specifically to play the parts. Nue and Olde of course are the "final bosses" (or as they would like to say, "UNBEATABLE final bosses".

Much like how Nue & Olde have minions (random encounters) and leaders, the heroes have something similar along those lines. NPC's (though they don't actually fight) and side party members would be considered the hero's minions, and their bosses are the main Party Members. Then again, since it's JRPG based the NPC's could just have their own neutral classification, and the party members could just be considered the heroes. Either one works really Personally, I'd go for that last one.

Now, if there are avatars I'd assume the bosses wouldn't be considered that. Like Kitsune's game, there'd have to be one main Avatar on each side, with their leaders/party members being like their "reliefs" I'm good with the main bosses being "minions". I can only assume Peanut or Grape would be the avatar for the hero's side Remember the idea I had long ago regarding the heroes being asked to help, with the example being King and Bailey? They'll help, as they're main heroes, but they won't be avatars. Remember also how I mentioned that Kitsune would ask their help? He'll be their benefactor, not the controller. Reinhardt would be Nue and Olde's avatar.

This is just an idea based on what we have so far, of course. What do the rest of you guys think?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Okay, added in the shading.
Majestic Flight.png
Majestic Flight.png (177.78 KiB) Viewed 9919 times
As I've previously written, been wanting to do this for a long while, and Buster, I don't think it would have come out anywhere near this great without your help.

Song used; "It's My Time to Fly" by The Urge https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcnF1ioaBr4
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I think that's the halfway point with character ultimates, isn't it? Good work, Rocky. :)
D-Rock wrote: And about the zoo chapter, I'd cast my vote for the Monolith. Something is inhabiting it. Maybe a later chapter would be a fight against the one who was there in person/animal.
I am in agreement with this.

Anyways, found another BGM to upload (I had finished this one a long time ago and forgotten about it :| ).

BGM 17
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

The sad part is that Marvin will never get a chance to fly. :|
Heheh, jokes aside, looks pretty sweet with the shading!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Good track, Kitsune! Maybe this could be the daytime forest theme. Or we could use it specifically for the search for Blu-e, in a denser part of the forest.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Great job, guys!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I've shrunk the shaded Majestic Flight down for you Super, if you needed it. :D
Attachments
Majestic Flight 97.png
Majestic Flight 97.png (8.86 KiB) Viewed 9889 times
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Ah, thanks, just tested it out, it looks alright.
Unusuallynamedperson

Looks sweet. Will Reinhardt's Sprite change when you go to fight him the second time. Or to we plan on just keeping him the same.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I kind of envisioned him as having the same battle portrait and sprite until the final battle against him, where he would go Avatar mode.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

This conversation keeps making me think of the movie.

...Anyways, no need to change his appearance from fight to fight.

I had a thought: what if we brought him back again as Barghest's possessed boss in the post-game. That wouldn't work for Nue, but we've already established that Barghest isn't following a ruleset.
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

The blue indian movie, Kitsune?

Anyway, I like the idea of bringing him back through Barghest. We'd have Reinhardt, Avatar Reinhardt, maybe Nightmare Reinhardt.
Unusuallynamedperson

Won't it be a little hard to draw a nightmare Reinhardt? Considering that he is already as a concept a little bit spooky. Also that seems legible. What will the characters get from him after fighting him the first & second time 'the drops'
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

...huh, didn't consider drops at all. He'd probably drop some item needed to further the plot, like maybe keys to locked areas that need to opened to continue the story. Also, dude, have you seen the concepts for Barghest? We can get spooky.

This was the example that Kitsune posted from his friends DA page, and it has evolved into Barghest from there.
Unusuallynamedperson

Can't see it rock. Which when you think about it is even probably spookier.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Dang it, keep forgetting about that!
Unusuallynamedperson

Either way, I wouldn't do keys, seems a little to obvious, plus people have seen that before in plenty of games. Why not a spell of some form that way their isn't an illegitimate loophole.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Maybe an equippable that teaches a new skill, not necessarily a spell, as remember, not all characters can even use magic.
Unusuallynamedperson

True, but I was also referring to magical items and everything within that broad spectrum. So what, like a glove? How about a bracelet?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

A few have already been mentioned, buy I only remember Pete's Feather, which is supposed to teach elemental attacks.
Unusuallynamedperson

Ermm, okay but how exactly is that equitable? Idk, we may have to make that more explicit.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah now I think I understand the weapon a bit better now. Although I would like to see how it looks like with the energy bow and arrow, I won't push it since you guys are pretty busy.
Unusuallynamedperson

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Yeah now I think I understand the weapon a bit better now. Although I would like to see how it looks like with the energy bow and arrow, I won't push it since you guys are pretty busy.
Do you mean the crossbow? Rock already explained it pretty well, it materializes when the wings go back...per say.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Unusuallynamedperson wrote:Ermm, okay but how exactly is that equitable? Idk, we may have to make that more explicit.
All characters have a Weapon, Collar, Head Gear, Body Gear, and Accessory slots. Pete's Feather would likely be an Accessory.
Unusuallynamedperson

Works for me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh OK. Now I REALLY understand how it works. I didn't see the part about the wings going back.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

You know, I actually didn't mention that, but that is what I envisioned.
Unusuallynamedperson

D-Rock wrote:You know, I actually didn't mention that, but that is what I envisioned.
Actually you did.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well it looks cool either way. I was only confused because I didn't see a string.