Chat Thread 42: The Answer To Life, The Universe and Everyth

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

GameCobra

Re: Chat Thread 42: The Answer To Life, The Universe and Eve

Post by GameCobra »

The wedding takes place in Canada.

Hal and Serence will have mounties guarding their wedding. no one stops the mounties.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Saturn381 wrote:Have there been times where you guys had a hard time sleeping to the point you decided to just get up? Cause that's what happened to me today.
Yeah, it's annoyingly common for me these days. Arguably worse is being too tired to sleep. :|
Ok, so 1. Who's financing this wedding of epic proportions, and 2. Will there be soda? (At least enough for one glass after Serence gets at it :lol: )
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Only in the morning if I wake up early. I'll never just give up on sleeping for the night, though!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

GameCobra wrote:The wedding takes place in Canada.

Hal and Serence will have mounties guarding their wedding. no one stops the mounties.
Hmm. Will the mounties have their horses? Because I'm not a huge fan of horses.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

I'm sure they can adhere to a Mounty Python theme for their horses. I'll even find some coconuts for them too.
My tree now has a café in it. Yay?
Hlaoroo wrote:In Soviet Russia, TreeInAHound!

RP Character(s)
Albert Grant, Sunset Plateau
Larkin Dewolfe, Chivalry Residences
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Will they be delivered by African or European sparrows?
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

I don't know that. However it's written down on a piece of paper I dropped off a footbridge. You're more then welcome to jump after it, but I'd advise using a bungee rope.

RP Character(s)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I call dibs on maid-of-honor!
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

Iron Panda wrote:I just heard about it, not seen much videos. Right now in my own home state with are dealing with a 200,000 acre fire ourselves, while its not as bad as that explosion it is getting worse. The smoke can bee seen from the capital of Boise (which since its near the Oregon border means the smoke cloud is visible from almost 60+ miles) http://www.kboi2.com/news/local/Soda-Fi ... 13761.html That's an article of it if anyone wants to read it. (warning its a news site and so the comments or any other article might not be forum appropriate)
A lot of large fires over here too.
http://gacc.nifc.gov/nwcc/information/firemap.aspx
I'm on the otherside of the mountains and the air is getting smoky.
Panda Panda Panda
ascdren

Post by ascdren »

Bet you weren't expecting that
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Our chief weapon...is surprise...surprise and fear...our two main weapons are fear and surprise, and ruthless efficiency...three! our three main weapons are fear, surprise and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the pope...four! um...
Amongst our weapons....amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, su...i'll come in again...
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Dissension wrote:Nobody ever expects the Spanish Inquisition.
in reality, the Spanish Inquisition actually gave notice before... inquisiting? everyone expected them.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

One of the most famous/infamous heads of the Spanish Inquisition, notorious for investigating whether converts to Catholicism had truly 'converted', was himself descended from converts to Catholicism.

[/random history fact]
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Does anyone else dislike bittersweet endings? To me they're like taking a nice bowl of ice cream and spraying a bittering agent on it - it just ruins it. I realize not all endings can be happy, but I feel like life is sad enough without having to read about life being sad.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Okay, I found these videos that are pretty awesome. Apparently to promote Mario Maker, Nintendo made these videos called The Mario Maker Challenge, which invites well known Youtubers to make their own Mario levels.

The Game Theorist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jUiCcIfUeI

iJustine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGwhsa3378M

The Completionist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeYCaBEK-gc

Strawburry17: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gz-j-4g5ii4

Geek & Sundry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZm8YCagTZc

Your thoughts?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I actually quite like a lot of them that you posted! Great find!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm so excited for this game... Prolly gonna retire me from Splatoon. XP
Douglas Collier wrote:Does anyone else dislike bittersweet endings? To me they're like taking a nice bowl of ice cream and spraying a bittering agent on it - it just ruins it. I realize not all endings can be happy, but I feel like life is sad enough without having to read about life being sad.
I don't mind them! I just want endings to feel like endings. Not everything has to be all happy or all sad. It makes it feel more real when endings can be anywhere on the good/bad spectrum. That way when you're not to the ending yet, you can't even expect how things will end.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Sleet wrote:I'm so excited for this game... Prolly gonna retire me from Splatoon. XP
Douglas Collier wrote:Does anyone else dislike bittersweet endings? To me they're like taking a nice bowl of ice cream and spraying a bittering agent on it - it just ruins it. I realize not all endings can be happy, but I feel like life is sad enough without having to read about life being sad.
I don't mind them! I just want endings to feel like endings. Not everything has to be all happy or all sad. It makes it feel more real when endings can be anywhere on the good/bad spectrum. That way when you're not to the ending yet, you can't even expect how things will end.
I dunno, I prefer my endings to be open-ended. After all...

RP chars:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Same here! That way we can have a sequel in the future sometime!
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I try to avoid overlyhappy endings in my writing and really don't think they're that great most of the time. I don't think all stories lend themselves to a tidy ending and would prefer a more realistic bittersweet ending as opposed to an ending that is obviously just there to wrap everything up and make the audience feel good.
CosmicCoyote wrote:
Sleet wrote:I'm so excited for this game... Prolly gonna retire me from Splatoon. XP
I dunno, I prefer my endings to be open-ended. After all...

That's a top notch reference right there.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Seth wrote:That's a top notch reference right there.
Side note - harder than I thought it would be to find a *ahem* family-friendly version of that particular scene, given Manhattan's proclivities towards clothing and the fact that the globe he's standing in front of is more or less transparent.
RP chars:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just realized how depressing it is to have a birthday BEFORE 9/11. I then realize how bad it is for people who HAVE birthdays on 9/11. :cry:
Liam

Post by Liam »

CosmicCoyote wrote:I dunno, I prefer my endings to be open-ended. After all...
It's funny, any kind of continuation of the story would run counter to the open ending.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I just realized how depressing it is to have a birthday BEFORE 9/11. I then realize how bad it is for people who HAVE birthdays on 9/11. :cry:
My dad's birthday is on the 11th of September. I don't recall him mentioning anything about it, other than the fact that he forgets it sometimes. I still owe him a cup of coffee and some time off from his family this year.

Still, to me personally, 9/11 also signified a more... bittersweet event for me. On 1998, the day was the officiating day of the '98 Commonwealth Games in Kuala Lumpur, the first time I stayed in a resort (with my Dad no less), my first time in a karaoke bar, and the first instance where I realized my family was falling apart. My mum and dad just had a big fight on 31/8, and I remember seeing him drinking his sorrows away, and he rarely drink at all. They filed for divorce 2 months later.

Anyway, I also learned that I can't swim, and am terrified of public pools. Ironic, considering my species xD

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That really does suck and i'm sorry you had to deal with that Kuro. Though I was talking mostly about Americans or people that live in America since that they has 9/11 memorials everywhere.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Personally I don't think it would suck to have a birthday on September 11th.
I mean absolutely no disrespect to all those who perished in that tragedy or those who knew them, but personally I don't think I'd want people mourning my death for years after it happened. I'd prefer to think of them getting on with their lives and enjoying my memory rather than mourning me. Especially if it's millions of people that didn't even know me or have any connection to me other than living in the same country.
So I think having something to celebrate on that day would be a good thing. And I think that if, as a country, America moved on from this tragedy, remembering the victims respectfully, but moving on with their lives, it would disempower those who seek to perpetrate such heinous acts. I mean, if they didn't think such acts of violence would get them so much attention and spread their message so much then they wouldn't have any reason to carry out those acts.

So yeah. We should definitely remember those who perished on 9/11 but we shouldn't continue to mourn them, I think. Rather, honour their memories and move on with our lives. And if we have something to celebrate on that day then celebrate. Make the day a happy one instead of a depressing one. Goodness knows there's too much depression and not enough happiness in today's world.

Seth wrote:I try to avoid overlyhappy endings in my writing and really don't think they're that great most of the time. I don't think all stories lend themselves to a tidy ending and would prefer a more realistic bittersweet ending as opposed to an ending that is obviously just there to wrap everything up and make the audience feel good.
I think it really depends on the story. Some stories are suited to happy endings and others aren't. Take The Plague Dogs for instance. I'll not give any spoilers, but the original ending of the book was not a happy one. Later on, the author, Richard Adams, wrote a happier ending for the book as an addendum and added it to later editions and while it gave the book a happy ending and tied up some loose ends, it didn't fit the tone of the rest of the story and so it felt forced and unsatisfying. So I feel that endings should fit the tone of the story and not just be happy for the sake of it.
Mind you, I do prefer a happy ending. I'm soppy like that. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:That really does suck and i'm sorry you had to deal with that Kuro. Though I was talking mostly about Americans or people that live in America since that they has 9/11 memorials everywhere.
Well, you get used to it. Life's funny that way.

I do have my own opinions on the 9/11 tragedy and experiences stemming from it, but I felt like voicing them anywhere would be pointless, and I might overstep the boundary of what can and cannot be discussed here. So I'll refrain. All I can say is 9/11 is mourned by everyone all over the world, not only those in the US, for all sorts of reasons. And I felt for some of the victims' kins, it's difficult to move on, especially when your loved ones were taken away so suddenly from you. This applies to all the tragedies in the world. Still, remembrance is normal and human, dwelling too much on the past inhibits you as a person (or fur, if you will).

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Oh yeah. I personally know what it's like to lose loved ones and I'd never wish that on anyone. But death is a fact of life and empathising with the kith and kin of those who were lost doesn't mean I have to mourn for them.
kurowolfe wrote:Still, remembrance is normal and human, dwelling too much on the past inhibits you as a person (or fur, if you will).
Exactly. That's what I was getting at.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

HoundInATree

Post by HoundInATree »

Personally, I don't feel sorrow for someone who's Birthday is on 11th September, because 9/11 hasn't anything to do with them personally, unless they lost someone they knew. In which case, I feel sorry for them because the day they should be celebrating is also the day they are mourning. I wouldn't go around associating someone's birthday with an event just because it was the same day.
Hlaoroo wrote:
Seth wrote:I try to avoid overlyhappy endings in my writing and really don't think they're that great most of the time. I don't think all stories lend themselves to a tidy ending and would prefer a more realistic bittersweet ending as opposed to an ending that is obviously just there to wrap everything up and make the audience feel good.
I think it really depends on the story. Some stories are suited to happy endings and others aren't. Take The Plague Dogs for instance. I'll not give any spoilers, but the original ending of the book was not a happy one. Later on, the author, Richard Adams, wrote a happier ending for the book as an addendum and added it to later editions and while it gave the book a happy ending and tied up some loose ends, it didn't fit the tone of the rest of the story and so it felt forced and unsatisfying. So I feel that endings should fit the tone of the story and not just be happy for the sake of it.
Mind you, I do prefer a happy ending. I'm soppy like that. :P
I'm fine either way with a books ending. What I don't like in an ending is when the story isn't finished. One book I read ended on a kidnapping, which left the story far from over. It's a crafty marketing ploy, but I find it annoying that I then have to wait for the next book to be published before I can finish reading the story. I'd much prefer them to end the story but leave theings open for another story to continue where the last one ended.

RP Character(s)
Douglas Collier

HoundInATree wrote:I'd much prefer them to end the story but leave theings open for another story to continue where the last one ended.
Gerald N. Lund did a good job of that with his "The Work and the Glory" series, and also "The Kingdom and the Crown" trilogy if I remember correctly. He ended each book with a significant event tied to the plot, but left the overarching plot open to continue, leaving you feeling satisfied, but eager for more.

It was unfortunate that he had to cut the endings to those series short - he basically ended them with "I'm going to wrap up all the loose ends and character developments in one chapter - the end". When you've grown to follow the lives of the characters over the course of multiple books, such an abrupt ending is wholly unsatisfying.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Harry Potter had the same approach to "leave it open for sequels". finish the main plot of the individual book, but leave the overarching plot open for the sequel to explore. same thing that (or at least similar to what) Marvel does for it's movies. finish the movie's plot, but introduce an element that teases for the next one. not really an open end, more like an early beginning for the next one.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

One of Harry Potter's advantages is that it tells a concise story, but it also creates a world. There could be countless "Harry Potter" books that don't even contain Harry Potter. The possibilities are endless.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:There could be countless "Harry Potter" books that don't even contain Harry Potter.
heck, they made books of the texbooks they read in school, and one of them is getting a movie. that speaks volumes to its world building.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Douglas Collier

Question: Who here worships Diss? :P
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

All mods are required to sign a contract with their own blood that forever seals them as Diss's servants. Even after their modship ends.

As such, the mods don't so much worship Diss as much as cater to his every whim regardless of our own personal feelings. We DO however worship Sleet. :P
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

It's true. How else did you think I got the scar on the base of my thumb?

JeffCvt wrote:We DO however worship Sleet. :P
*whispers* Don't tell anyone, but I just pretend to worship Sleet. I actually worship Serence. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Wanna see Tony Tony Chopper and Master Roshi having a conversation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJqjGcLl7yc
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

JeffCvt wrote:As such, the mods don't so much worship Diss as much as cater to his every whim regardless of our own personal feelings. We DO however worship Sleet. :P
is it weird to worship someone at the same rank as you? I may have only worshipped her when he was global and I wasn't :P
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets