The Silver Screen

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

JeffCvt

Re: The Silver Screen

Post by JeffCvt »

Yeah, I was actually really surprised that in the first movie it was actually Jason's mother who was killing kids. I mean, he's the one you think about when you think of the movies. Heck, he doesn't even show up in the first movie till the very end. And him jumping out of the lake and grabbing the girl from the canoe was actually a spur of the moment kind of thing when they realized they didn't really have an ending to the movie. If it wasn't for that, I feel like there probably wouldn't have even been a second movie, much less what it grew into.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I love the franchise in all its campy slasher glory. But the first one was miles ahead of the rest as far as story goes. I think it's a brilliant (relative to slasher films) story. However I already knew the plot point Jeff is alluding to and the ending when I saw it. So they didn't really get me on that guy level. That's not the fault of the movie but it just wasn't strong enough to overcome the campiness when I went into the movie with those facts. Still a really cool movie. I'm sure I'll break it out again around halloween this year.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

AstroOtter wrote:In 32 hours, 30 minutes, I will be sitting in a theater watching Guardians of the Galaxy.

32 hours, 30 minutes.

The longest 32 hours, 30 minutes EVER.
I'll be there in 18 hours, my theater has a 7PM showing.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

I will be seeing Guardian's on Tuesday my self. My theater does half price tickets, even on new movies. It has been really nice to be able to see a movie for $5.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Friday the 13th is my favorite slasher movie series. It's sort of the steady and reliable one, neither reaching the highest heights nor the lowest lows of the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street movies.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Friday the 13th series. They are part of my earliest film experiences.

If you want some other slasher films from that era that are just as entertaining, then see:
The Burning
Sleepaway Camp
Curtains
Unhinged
My Bloody Valentine
The Prowler (aka Rosemary's Killer)

I also like the Nightmare On Elm Street series and the Halloween films. Even though the Halloween films started to drop off in quality fairly quickly.

But I will stand by bad sequels before I chose a remake. Especially the bad remakes they crank out today. They wanted the remake of "Suspiria" to be a made for tv movie on MTV. Ugh.

I too plan to see Guardians of the Galaxy this weekend.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I'd just like to point out that, while I hate the concept of remakes
Rob zombie's Halloween was the equivalent of a really good cover song. I loved it.
Penwrite wrote:Friday the 13th is my favorite slasher movie series. It's sort of the steady and reliable one, neither reaching the highest heights nor the lowest lows of the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street movies.
I dunno man I'd say that part 8 (or whichever one takes place on New York) is probably my favorite slasher film and Jason goes to Hell was one of the worst movies I've ever seen
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Radio Blue Heart

Don't for get to check out the Indian version of "A Nightmare On Elm Street", entitled "Mehakaal" ("The Monster").

-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Seth wrote:I'd just like to point out that, while I hate the concept of remakes
Rob zombie's Halloween was the equivalent of a really good cover song. I loved it.
Penwrite wrote:Friday the 13th is my favorite slasher movie series. It's sort of the steady and reliable one, neither reaching the highest heights nor the lowest lows of the Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street movies.
I dunno man I'd say that part 8 (or whichever one takes place on New York) is probably my favorite slasher film and Jason goes to Hell was one of the worst movies I've ever seen
Zombie's Halloween was pretty decent until it turned into an uber-rushed cover of the original film in roughly its final third.

Jason Goes to Hell does indeed suck, but I can't say it's worse than Halloween: Resurrection or Freddy's Dead: the Final Nightmare. But then, I suppose it all comes down to taste in the end.

On the topic of remakes, I'd argue that there are good reasons for them, whether that be an update of the story to take advantage of new societal fears (Invasion of the Body Snatchers often goes through this), or if the original film had a good idea but was executed poorly.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Part 3, 6 and 7 were my favourite Friday the 13th's, but 7 was my favourite because of how well the Jason actor was in it. He looked the most intimidating and scary out of all of them, next to the third one.

@Jeffcvt The ending in the first one was beautiful. Yes, you never expected it to be his mom, but for him to come back for revenge from the lake was the icening on the cake X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I can't form a single coherent thought in response to this movie trailer. The fact that it exists, that it is a thing with no rhyme or reason, confounds me. I... I have been broken by this trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w3I4C7i3pi8
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Is it bad that I guessed exactly what that video would be before I clicked it?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

My mind made one coherent thought about this.
"Oh, No. Why?"
Last edited by Jacey on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RP Characters:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Go see Guardians of the Galaxy as soon as you can. It is awesome.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Liam

Post by Liam »

Huh, looks like it's released at the end of the month over here.

Darn.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:Go see Guardians of the Galaxy as soon as you can. It is awesome.
It's a frickin' blast, people. Stop reading this post and go to the theater this instant. I saw it in regular (non-IMAX) 3D - it's pretty good 3D. The IMAX 3D version is supposed to show more of the movie, as in, you get a wider angle view of certain shots.
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

So while I was on vacation, I manage to watch Summer Wars, and it was great! :D
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Saturn381 wrote:So while I was on vacation, I manage to watch Summer Wars, and it was great! :D
That movie is amazing! :D
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I recommend Wolf Children too, by the same Director. It's just as good if not better.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

If I ever write anything HALF as fun as Guardians of the Galaxy, I will be able to die a happy man.
Radio Blue Heart

Yesterday I went to see "Guardians of the Galaxy" and I can say with all certainty that it is the best Marvel movie yet. I loved it so much more that I did the others. It was a perfect mix of humor, action and drama. I think that Rocket Raccoon could have his own film. I cannot recommend this movie enough. It is one of the best comic book movies ever!

Be on the lookout. During the scene where the Guardians arrive at the prison, look for Lloyd Kaufman as one of the inmates. He is the president of Troma and gave James Gunn his break into film by writing "Tromeo and Juliet" for Kaufman. Gunn also have one of his characters in movie "Slither" watching "The Toxic Avenger" as a tribute to Kaufman.

I have a love hate relationship with James Gunn and his work. "Guardians of the Galaxy" is great as is "Tromeo and Juliet", "Slither" was OK, but I hated the "Dawn of the Dead" remake and "Scooby-Doo". "Guardians" proves that he can write well rounded characters with real depth. But, the Dawn remake proved that he could do the exact opposite with vapid, two dimensional characters in a poor "28 Days Later" rip-off with all the social commentary and satire stripped away.
-Virgil
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:Yesterday I went to see "Guardians of the Galaxy" and I can say with all certainty that it is the best Marvel movie yet. I loved it so much more that I did the others. It was a perfect mix of humor, action and drama. I think that Rocket Raccoon could have his own film. I cannot recommend this movie enough. It is one of the best comic book movies ever!
I went to see it myself this past weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised at not only how good the film was, but how accessible it was to someone who didn't know much about comic; there were some people in the theater who didn't know who the Guardians were (the people in front of me consisted of a boyfriend and girlfriend, with the guy whispering things like, "Thanos is one of the BIG bad guys, like Darkseid for DC," or "Peter is part alien," to her), and admittedly my own knowledge of the series is limited to the team's few TV appearances, along with Rocket being one of my mains in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but the movie does a good job catching people up to the concept and introducing these great characters who clearly march to the beat of their own drum...and we love them for that quality. :) All in all, the movie is a great time and definitely worth seeing.

Also, for those that saw the film: So the macguffin orb was actually an infinity stone (the "Power" stone, apparently)...Whenever the infinity stones/gems are mentioned, I can't help thinking of Marvel Super Heroes in the arcade, so whenever someone used the stone, I could just imagine the announcer from the game shouting "POWER GEM!" and it made me laugh a little every time. Makes me worry that with the stones playing a large role in the movies that I won't be able to take them seriously...

...though then again, if taking into account the post-credits sequence, Marvel isn't above poking some fun at their own properties.:P
Radio Blue Heart

Lucid_Dragon wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote:Yesterday I went to see "Guardians of the Galaxy" and I can say with all certainty that it is the best Marvel movie yet. I loved it so much more that I did the others. It was a perfect mix of humor, action and drama. I think that Rocket Raccoon could have his own film. I cannot recommend this movie enough. It is one of the best comic book movies ever!
I went to see it myself this past weekend, and I was pleasantly surprised at not only how good the film was, but how accessible it was to someone who didn't know much about comic; there were some people in the theater who didn't know who the Guardians were (the people in front of me consisted of a boyfriend and girlfriend, with the guy whispering things like, "Thanos is one of the BIG bad guys, like Darkseid for DC," or "Peter is part alien," to her), and admittedly my own knowledge of the series is limited to the team's few TV appearances, along with Rocket being one of my mains in Marvel vs. Capcom 3, but the movie does a good job catching people up to the concept and introducing these great characters who clearly march to the beat of their own drum...and we love them for that quality. :) All in all, the movie is a great time and definitely worth seeing.

Also, for those that saw the film: So the macguffin orb was actually an infinity stone (the "Power" stone, apparently)...Whenever the infinity stones/gems are mentioned, I can't help thinking of Marvel Super Heroes in the arcade, so whenever someone used the stone, I could just imagine the announcer from the game shouting "POWER GEM!" and it made me laugh a little every time. Makes me worry that with the stones playing a large role in the movies that I won't be able to take them seriously...

...though then again, if taking into account the post-credits sequence, Marvel isn't above poking some fun at their own properties.:P

I have read that eventually they want to do an Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover film some times in the near future. Given that Marvel can produce 8 movies in between each Batman... I mean, each DC movie there is a strong possibility that could happen.

Maybe with the Infinity Gems they are setting the stage for that or an even bigger crossover since the gems power Thanos's Infinity Gauntlet.

And yes, I did not see that reference coming. Maybe they can correct the worst comic book movie of all time.
-Virgil
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Lucid_Dragon wrote:

I have read that eventually they want to do an Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy crossover film some times in the near future. Given that Marvel can produce 8 movies in between each Batman... I mean, each DC movie there is a strong possibility that could happen.

Maybe with the Infinity Gems they are setting the stage for that or an even bigger crossover since the gems power Thanos's Infinity Gauntlet.

And yes, I did not see that reference coming. Maybe they can correct the worst comic book movie of all time.

Oh I am sure Marvel will have a Guardians/Avengers team up. They have had Iron Man team with the Guardians in the comics, the animated shows have them joining up. Perhaps when they have to deal with Galactis.
RP Characters:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Saw guardians of the galaxy last night and it was awesome. That's the first movie I've seen this summer that really blew me away. If I wanted to nitpick I could cone up with complaints but it was just a really fun way to indulge the inner nerd. I feel like the weird/obscure marvel characters are about to overtake the big three ( cap, iron man, thor) in quality.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Drake wrote:Perhaps when they have to deal with Galactis.
not gonna be any time soon, Fox still holds the rights to him and the Fantastic Four (as far as I know)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Is he solely a fantastic four franchise character?
RP Characters:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Pretty much. It's not a situation like Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch, where they have such an extensive history as Avengers members that they can be used. Galactus is as much for the Fantastic Four as, say, Doctor Doom.
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Weird. Because I thought he was a big avengers baddie.
RP Characters:
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

He definitely started there but he's also connected to plenty of other teams. Marvel has even done a big galactus vs everyone type mini series in the ultimate universe. He's a big player in various cosmic story lines as well. If marvel wants him I'm sure they can get him as he's their property and not exclusive to the FF. especially if they do the infinity gauntlet as he was a big player in the original mini series
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

Well, there is another baddie that Marvel has already started to make. Graviton; he is also apparently an avengers baddie and the TV show Agents Of Shield started his origin story.
RP Characters:
Radio Blue Heart

In other Marvel news the next X-Men movie is going to be called "X-Men: Apocalypse". So that can only mean that the antagonist can only be Apocalypse, the oldest living mutant. Born 5000 years ago in Egypt.
-Virgil
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

It should be a fun movie to. its like days of future past but flipped to where Mutants are the dominant species. Apocalypse will also be a very tough foe to beat. This will be fun to watch indeed.
RP Characters:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Seth wrote:If marvel wants him I'm sure they can get him as he's their property and not exclusive to the FF. especially if they do the infinity gauntlet as he was a big player in the original mini series
sadly, that isn't how these things work. Marvel sold the rights before they had their own studio, and as long as there's a possibilty that the character can make them money, they won't give up the rights. Quicksilver and Scarlet witch probably weren't directly included in the film rights to X-Men, Marvel just let Fox use them (maybe in hopes that they can share rights for other characters). It may be possible, but Fox will probably hold onto Galactus since they already used him in the second FF movie.
I think they'll just stick with Thanos and not include Galactus for the avengers franchise.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

So I saw the Guardians of the Galaxy tonight. The movie was wonderful, the theater was not. We went to the 9PM showing, and people were bringing their two year olds. During parts of the movies you could hear them screaming. But that's in the past, the movie was fun. Really fun, as in, I want to buy it now. On the way home though my dad and I had a discussion. Maybe you Marvel fans can answer and if its okay to ask here...Can Marvel use the Skrull? The have the Kree but I don't know about the Skrull. Since the Skrull are a major enemy of the Kree.
RP Characters:
Radio Blue Heart

Drake wrote:So I saw the Guardians of the Galaxy tonight. The movie was wonderful, the theater was not. We went to the 9PM showing, and people were bringing their two year olds. During parts of the movies you could hear them screaming. But that's in the past, the movie was fun. Really fun, as in, I want to buy it now. On the way home though my dad and I had a discussion. Maybe you Marvel fans can answer and if its okay to ask here...Can Marvel use the Skrull? The have the Kree but I don't know about the Skrull. Since the Skrull are a major enemy of the Kree.
I am sure they can. They might actually use them as major antagonists in a future film.
-Virgil
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Drake wrote:So I saw the Guardians of the Galaxy tonight. The movie was wonderful, the theater was not. We went to the 9PM showing, and people were bringing their two year olds. During parts of the movies you could hear them screaming. But that's in the past, the movie was fun. Really fun, as in, I want to buy it now. On the way home though my dad and I had a discussion. Maybe you Marvel fans can answer and if its okay to ask here...Can Marvel use the Skrull? The have the Kree but I don't know about the Skrull. Since the Skrull are a major enemy of the Kree.
I'm not sure, but I'm leaning toward no. The Chitauri in The Avengers were originally the Skrull equivalents in the Ultimate Marvel universe. *shrugs*
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Just came back from seeing Guardians of the Galaxy, and it was AWESOME!!! :D

Also while I was in the theater, I was this trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNVGDZHRJXM

It's a great trailer, but it would've been nice if they had a few songs or at least one song from the broadway show in the trailer.

Your thoughts?
Last edited by Saturn381 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I think that's a perfectly good teaser trailer. It alerts audiences that a thing exists and gives a small taste of what it is. Better a trailer with too little than one with too much, right?
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I guess.