Pet Friendly: Main OOC

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Re: Pet Friendly: Main OOC

Post by Hlaoroo »

I agree with what's been said above except for the first part of #3. I've never seen a rule stating what the relationship had to be between the pet and owner. I have seen a variety of relationships though ranging from parent/child to friends to pet/owner even to abusive owner and unhappy pet. It varies a lot between RPs but the general trend is to call them "Mum and Dad" like in the comic. There are RPs which do have strict leash laws in some places, for instance in the human hospital, not that we've seen anyone there yet but we're aware that those laws exist.

As to #1, it's important to remember that these RPs are designed to emulate Housepets! in that the focus of them is on the pets, not the owners. It's safe to assume that there are children in the community - after all, many of them have playgrounds that the pets enjoy using - but I've never seen them the focus of the story, except for a child being grown up. That said, I do have an owner who's about 8 or 9 weeks pregnant so there will be at least one more child in that RP in the near future.

#2, we have a whole range of pets with a range of conditions, impairments and disabilities. Declawing is not unheard of, nor are broken bones, asthma, allergies, nxiety issues, etc. We even had a character once who was maybe slightly mentally impaired.

As for #5, although death is a no-no, I have seen it suggested or at least implied that disobedient pets and especially violent ones that attack humans or other pets may end up with unpleasant or unfortunate consequences.

Of the RPs I am familiar with, Richmond Acres might fit you the best as it seems to be becoming more realistic although the GM does want to keep it light-hearted. I agree with the others though that it's a good idea to read through the first post in this thread (although it is somewhat outdated and there are many RPs missing from there) and the first post in the OOC of whichever RPs you're interested in.
Last edited by Hlaoroo on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

*Cough* Hutch *cough*
Hey!
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Knight of Light

Post by Knight of Light »

Thanks again! I might take a look at Richmond Acres later, then. Would you say it's the most realistic neighborhood on offer? (Sorry if I'm being a bother by asking all this.)

EDIT: Just a little question to make sure... *whistling* How common is making new neighborhoods? Say Richmond Acres isn't quite what I'm looking for, would I be permitted to make my own, or is neighborhood creation a selective process?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Oh, no bother at all.

In the modern-day setting, I think it would be up there but I haven't experienced all the modern PF ones to be sure. There's probably not a lot of difference in them really though. I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever you choose to join. :)

As to neighbourhood making, it really depends on the type of neighbourhood you want to make. The mods are currently not allowing any more PF-RPs as they don't want to take players away from RPs that already exist but they might allow another non-PF if you make it different enough. PF-RPs are the ones like Housepets! and/or set in the saem world as Housepets!. Non-PF are all the other ones like Redwall, MLP, Pokepets, 17th Century Fox, Apollo City (sort of) etc. It's very much a case by case basis and there has been talk of sticking with what we have and not making any more. It's best to run your ideas by a mod and get their approval and if they like it then you can advertise it here and see if you can get interest. Once you get enough interest you can actually start the RP. The first step is asking the mods though.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Knight of Light

Hmm, I see. Maybe I'll just end up joining one of the existing ones—Thanks for all of your help!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

No problem. ;) If you need any more help feel free to drop me a line. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Knight of Light

So, I was just looking over the crossed out Yorkshire Meadows description in the opening post of this thread... Aww, it's a shame it got assimilated. It sounds like it would have been right up my alley.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ah. RA isn't quite as realistic as YM was, by the look if it. I don't think any other RP would be quite like that either, sorry. I'm sure they had good reason for assimilating but that was before I got here so I don't know anything about it.
Heck, that first OOC post hasn't been edited in four years. It really needs to be fixed.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Hey guys. I'm heading up to my grandparents for Easter and they don't have internet. Won't be able to post. Sorry.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

No problem, bro. See ya soon!
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
69eist

Post by 69eist »

I'll be back either tonight or tomorrow. Finally!
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

yay :D
69eist

Post by 69eist »

I'll be back in about 12 hours. I'm also pulling out of Radiant Gardens when I get back. Every other RP I'm currently in will be continued. See you soon guys and peace. =)
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Glad to have you back!
Sad to see you leave RG but at least you're back for the others! :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

69eist

Post by 69eist »

It's good to be back. It's about time I got back in the game. Thanks.
My Personas

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hey, I have a question. Are we allowed to host an RP that isn't Housepets! related?

And on an opposite note, are we allowed to host an RP that is directly to be Housepets? You know, with characters like Peanut and Joey?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I cannot speak for the second (though I doubt it) but the Redwall RP has nothing to do with Housepets. It did have to be cleared by the moderators though. As do all RP's hosted here so they are the final say on whether it is appropriate or not as is. The Redwall one, for example, can have people seriously wounded but NOT killed.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Non-PF RPs are still being allowed on a case-by-case basis. Send your proposal to one of the mods and they'll let you know if they're happy for you to try to get interest. Once you get mod approval you can post it here. PF RPs are still not being approved.

As to the second question, it mentions in the first post in this thread that Rick's characters are not to appear in the RPs as they are set in different neighbourhoods. The point of the RPs is to create our own, unique characters in the style of Housepets!. Using Rick's own characters would, I think, turn the RP into a fanfic and could lead to all kinds of shipping and other things that are against the rules. So no, no HP! characters. Sorry about that. You're welcome to write fanfic over in the Fan Projects forum though.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Hey guys I'm going on a band trip after school today until Sunday, and I might not be able to get on over the weekend. Just thought I'd let you guys know.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hlaoroo wrote: As to the second question, it mentions in the first post in this thread that Rick's characters are not to appear in the RPs as they are set in different neighbourhoods. The point of the RPs is to create our own, unique characters in the style of Housepets!. Using Rick's own characters would, I think, turn the RP into a fanfic and could lead to all kinds of shipping and other things that are against the rules. So no, no HP! characters. Sorry about that. You're welcome to write fanfic over in the Fan Projects forum though.
Oh. Well that's a bit of a disappointment. What I was planning was an Imaginate, with Housepets characters taking the roles of characters from some other story.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Thanks for the heads-up, Hyper.

You can do RPs set in the worlds and/or locations from other stories (e.g. Pokepets, Redwall) but the characters and story lines should be original. You can co-author a story about HP! characters imaginating but that's a project for the fan projects section and not here. Sorry.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Big news, everyone!
I'm giving you all a sneak peak of the new-look main ooc!
It's not quite finished yet which is why it's still locked.
NOW is your chance to have your say BEFORE it goes live!
Read the New Main OOC here and then share your thoughts here before it's too late!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Hlaoroo wrote:Big news, everyone!
I'm giving you all a sneak peak of the new-look main ooc!
It's not quite finished yet which is why it's still locked.
NOW is your chance to have your say BEFORE it goes live!
Read the New Main OOC here and then share your thoughts here before it's too late!
Being back the no one line posts rule, that argentflame missed when he redid them.
An RP is telling a story with words. Since we can't use pictures, we need to use the 1000 words.
Players should avoid one word or one line replies as this robs the RP of
story telling potentia.
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Thing is, Keesh, what of the people who get writers block? Like me. Sometimes one line is all we can think of..
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

As long as your one line is advancing the story and purely there as a response to another post then that's fine. This is the rule we're intending to apply. What do you guys think of this?
As the idea of RP posts is to advance the storyline, one-sentence and one-line posts should be avoided where possible. Please ensure that, if short, your posts do advance the story and not just respond to the previous poster.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I do agree with the rule as well. It can be hard to post a whole paragraph for a response sometimes, especially when there's a lot to catch up. Some players can't be here everyday anyway. But then again, simple one-liners could make it hard to advance the story, so a balance is best I think.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yeah. I've been known to do short posts myself which is why we put the "must advance the story" clause in.
For example, even someone with writers' block should be able to write more than
"I'm Scott," Scott said."
if a character is introducing themselves. It's really just posts that don't give other players anything to bounce off that are a problem.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Hlaoroo wrote:Yeah. I've been known to do short posts myself which is why we put the "must advance the story" clause in.
For example, even someone with writers' block should be able to write more than
"I'm Scott," Scott said."
if a character is introducing themselves. It's really just posts that don't give other players anything to bounce off that are a problem.
*picks up novel on desk...finds several sentences that could be considered one liners*

Granted, I'm not a fan of one liners myself. Sometimes even WITHOUT writer's block that IS all you have.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Exactly. Which is why we haven't banned them outright, rather we've discouraged them instead.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Hotep the psychic

Post by Hotep the psychic »

USE ALL THE ONE LINERS!!! :mrgreen:
ImageImageImage
DRAGON EGGS!!! Click them!
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Hotep the psychic wrote:USE ALL THE ONE LINERS!!! :mrgreen:
For the Horde!
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

So... The new OOC is nearly ready to go.

I'm waiting on:
Descriptions from Hotep and a shortened description slot availability from Keeshah and
Activity Rating from xhunterko.

If you threetwo could get back to me AS SOON AS POSSIBLE with that information that would be great. We are now only waiting on you three for the new OOC to go live.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Erm, so I'll be a little less active for the next fortnight, because I'm at home for a short sem break. And I'm way busier doing things away from the computer at home than in college. Like doing a thorough cleaning of the house, grocery shopping etc etc... *sigh*

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

it's ok , have fun kuro :D
valerio

Post by valerio »

no prob, Kuro. Hub will always be there to teach his pupil ;)
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Erm... well, I may have to retract my statement. Seems like I'm quite free at home too. Thought I would be busy taking care of the newborn kitten, but the last one died sadly. So yeah, free as a bird.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Was almost going to say 'yay' but it ended more in an '...oh'. Sorry to hear that, Kuro, no matter how it benefits us.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

kurowolfe wrote:Erm... well, I may have to retract my statement. Seems like I'm quite free at home too. Thought I would be busy taking care of the newborn kitten, but the last one died sadly. So yeah, free as a bird.
;-; *titanic song plays*
Come back! Come back!...
Rhyzer

Post by Rhyzer »

(Looks around the area for a brief moment, awe-struck and dumbfounded all the same.)

Uhh, wow. A lot seems to have changed in the forums since the last time I saw it.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you all know that, after being gone for so long and without any prior mention of it, I'm still alive! I'm sorry that I kinda just disappeared on you all - especially for those in Richardson Valley. Other matters aside, there was a family-related emergency that I just couldn't ignore, which really threw me out of the loop on a few things.

But, now that everything has settled down a bit, I can, at the very least, try to get back into RP'ing. Hopefully I'll be able to gradually increase my pacing the way things are going. Sorry that I've been gone for so long, guys! Please don't kill me over that... u wu
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Rhyzer wrote:(Looks around the area for a brief moment, awe-struck and dumbfounded all the same.)

Uhh, wow. A lot seems to have changed in the forums since the last time I saw it.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you all know that, after being gone for so long and without any prior mention of it, I'm still alive! I'm sorry that I kinda just disappeared on you all - especially for those in Richardson Valley. Other matters aside, there was a family-related emergency that I just couldn't ignore, which really threw me out of the loop on a few things.

But, now that everything has settled down a bit, I can, at the very least, try to get back into RP'ing. Hopefully I'll be able to gradually increase my pacing the way things are going. Sorry that I've been gone for so long, guys! Please don't kill me over that... u wu
welcome back Rhyzer , and I', so glad to hear that everything is ok for you , hope you would stay for awhile now , and maybe someday even get back to R.A :D