2014/05/02 - Heraldic Majesty

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Perfesser_Bear

Re: 2014/05/02 - Heraldic Majesty

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

TheOne wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Perfesser_Bear wrote:Well, I guess it was time for someone besides Tarot to know Joel/King's terrible secret. He tried to tell Fox, who just walked away.
Sabrina knows as well. Too bad Pete didn't pick Joey and/ or his creepy friends, they'd eat this stuff up.

King: I don't want her to know!
Pete: Fine! (Waves his wing and Bailey disappears, along with King's wedding band.) She no longer exists.
King: Ack! That's not what I meant! Bring her back now!
Pete: Oh, you humans, can't you ever make up your puny little minds?
I can completely see John de Lancie (think Q) doing Pete's voice for "Housepets!: The Animated Series".
Yes! Yes, exactly! He'd be perfect -- just the right snottiness-is-next-to-godliness attitude.
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
Jamonius

Post by Jamonius »

TheOne wrote:
Perfesser_Bear wrote:Well, I guess it was time for someone besides Tarot to know Joel/King's terrible secret. He tried to tell Fox, who just walked away.
Sabrina knows as well. Too bad Pete didn't pick Joey and/ or his creepy friends, they'd eat this stuff up.

Pete: Fine! (Waves his wing and Bailey disappears, along with King's wedding band.) She no longer exists.
I can completely see John de Lancie (think Q) doing Pete's voice for "Housepets!: The Animated Series".
Try imagining Pete speaking with Pete's voice.... Disney's Pete!
PIERULEZ

Post by PIERULEZ »

OMG.... I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN! :o
Also I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually can't wait until Monday.
Tooths

Post by Tooths »

PIERULEZ wrote:OMG.... I KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN! :o
Also I can't believe I'm saying this but I actually can't wait until Monday.

Ha, me neither. I'm in my room just; Image
Nothing fixes a thing so intensely to the memory as the wish to forget it.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

The trouble is done, if it can be called trouble, the truth is going to be revealed. :? It's "all a dream"... Nice try there, King. ;) Now that Bailey is awake, is indeed a right thing let King give an explaining about what's the big blue half bird thing (this is a good gray zone between those two terms :P). Or maybe not?
A "glistening hunk": knowing you, Pete, would be better change the second word into "junk". :lol: Never thought of a such reaction advising by Bailey, you're not that kind of girl. :P Oh, and Pete shows how jerky he is when he does the pose in the second panel...

Can't wait to see what will happen! :D
Argent

Post by Argent »

John-056 wrote:Did I mention that I don't really take any of the Cosmic Nerds' sides? I mean, what would happen at the end of the game? What happens to the loser's avatar if his/her job is done? Would the loser's avatar die?
That was kind of implied in the trial in heaven infodump. At least avatars dying was a thing that happened in The Game.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Darastrixen

Post by Darastrixen »

Argent wrote:
John-056 wrote:Did I mention that I don't really take any of the Cosmic Nerds' sides? I mean, what would happen at the end of the game? What happens to the loser's avatar if his/her job is done? Would the loser's avatar die?
That was kind of implied in the trial in heaven infodump. At least avatars dying was a thing that happened in The Game.
Not entirely. It was shown that avatars *can* die. The important take-away from that is that the "Cosmic Nerds" are not omnipotent, or are forbidden somehow from safeguarding their allies from fatal harm. We learn from the Trial in Heaven that normal circumstances have the players working together (aka, like a typical roleplaying game), to combat things like "archdemons," a naturally dangerous activity for mortals.

What is going on now is a slightly different story. Dragon and Pete had a so-called "falling out," and are now partaking in a "duel." Whereas before they were (ostensibly) strictly helping mortals with their goals, this time they are fighting each other with their mortal allies. There's no external, third-party danger, and it would seem extremely negligent of them to allow the duel to be to the death. The entire trial in heaven went on, in fact, because it needed to be determined "whether your [Pete's] actions bespeak of malice." He defended himself by making it clear that he and the others do not do anything to the mortal that "life doesn't already do to them."

Purposely setting up a situation where at least one mortal *must* die would undoubtedly be an act of malice and in violation of the heavenly order; both Kitsune and Dragon were at the trial, so all three are aware of this. Thus, we are unlikely to see someone actually die. More importantly, because this is a more or less controlled environment, the mortals involved in this particular game are almost certainly in less danger than in an ordinary game.
YourRoyalCorginess

Post by YourRoyalCorginess »

Pete reminds me a lot of Q from Star Trek, nobody really likes him, even his own kind only tolerate him.
villa

Post by villa »

i hope this does not end in heartbreak
i have read many webcomics so far king and bailey are the best couple in all of them
i strive to put more happiness into the world then i took out of it
and hope others strive to do the same.

to the speculation mobile initiate the wild mass contingency!
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

TheOne wrote:

Heh, I was thinking of Q when writing that :)
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Glistening hunk of Kevin.

THERE I SAID IT ARE YOU HAPPY?
Feel my icy wrath!
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

[/quote]
Jamonius wrote:
TheOne wrote:I can completely see John de Lancie (think Q) doing Pete's voice for "Housepets!: The Animated Series".
Try imagining Pete speaking with Pete's voice.... Disney's Pete!
Actually no. Pete is to be voiced by none other than Nick Bakay. :P
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

I bet Kevin could take Pete in an arm wrestling match
Liam

Post by Liam »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:That doesn't work out so well when Pete can tell her he's lying.
Though there's a good chance she will believe her spouse more than the monstrous apparition.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Wow Pete, way to show your adolescent arrogance and pride!

This must be quite taxing on Bailey... I hope she lets King talk and explain the situation before forcing him to sign away his life and soul.

When is that heavenly messenger going to show up anyway?
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
YourRoyalCorginess

Post by YourRoyalCorginess »

YourRoyalCorginess wrote:Pete reminds me a lot of Q from Star Trek, nobody really likes him, even his own kind only tolerate him.
just realized other thought the same thing before me lol guess I should read all the post before commenting.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

copper wrote:When is that heavenly messenger going to show up anyway?
*points at the beautiful gryphon*

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

I have to admit that the cosmic nerds and King amuse me and I would be sad to see them just up and disappear, given how much build up there has been towards their importance and their interference in everything.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Titanium Dragon wrote:I have to admit that the cosmic nerds and King amuse me and I would be sad to see them just up and disappear, given how much build up there has been towards their importance and their interference in everything.
I would actually enjoy it if they just got up and left. While I'm not gonna say I hate'em, but they are one of my less favored things in the Webcomic. When they where first brought up, it was fine. But then it kept on gettin' bigger and bigger, and now everyone's hyped over a character (King) who should just be as hyped as any other character. King get's too much specials, I mean come on, where's all the Joey comics? Also, King arcs always end at the "end year" which I find annoying, why does King get special treatment? I mean don't get any interesting Peanut arcs these days. Come on.
valerio

Post by valerio »

There is *one* element that is being overlooked: The watch, or Joel's fate.
Pete's 'deadline' was never chosen out of a whim: The gryphon must be *fearing* that, should King give back his human part back to heavens rather than keeping it and be back to human with his destiny, then Pete would have NOTHING to force King to serve him. King would be untouchable. And so Pete needs his avatar now or never.
Problems remains: how much hurt can Pete inflict to King just out of spite?
Possible answer: King is still in for a "Boon" as promised by the game master, and so the "happily-ever-after" for him, Bailey and Fox still looms at the horizon
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

SuperStar wrote:and now everyone's hyped over a character (King) who should just be as hyped as any other character. King get's too much specials, I mean come on, where's all the Joey comics? Also, King arcs always end at the "end year" which I find annoying, why does King get special treatment? I mean don't get any interesting Peanut arcs these days. Come on.
I'm not sure I agree. In my opinion, the purpose of King in this comic is mostly to instill drama and additional tension + suspense. Each character has their respective purposes, i.e. Joey/Tiger for comedic effect and Peanut/Grape for random IDon'tKnows. I'm not sure about your take on this, but I would see it as unnatural if Joey ever got an arc depicting him as something other than the adorkable RPG playing, amine loving nerd he is, as this is what us readers are familiar with. Joey is without a doubt, a supporting character, for I do feel that he alone doesn't drive the plot, and has no strong influence in the Housepets universe in general. Buuut I wouldn't go as far to say that Joey is a minor character.

That said, I'm sure Rick will place more focus on other characters if he feels like it, but right now (and at the end of the year), he feels like touching upon more serious topics, and King is a strong candidate for this.

But yes, we need more Peanut arcs :)
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

deepskycyan wrote:
SuperStar wrote:and now everyone's hyped over a character (King) who should just be as hyped as any other character. King get's too much specials, I mean come on, where's all the Joey comics? Also, King arcs always end at the "end year" which I find annoying, why does King get special treatment? I mean don't get any interesting Peanut arcs these days. Come on.
I'm not sure I agree. In my opinion, the purpose of King in this comic is mostly to instill drama and additional tension + suspense. Each character has their respective purposes, i.e. Joey/Tiger for comedic effect and Peanut/Grape for random IDon'tKnows. I'm not sure about your take on this, but I would see it as unnatural if Joey ever got an arc depicting him as something other than the adorkable RPG playing, anime loving nerd he is, as this is what us readers are familiar with. Joey is without a doubt, a supporting character, for I do feel that he alone doesn't drive the plot, and has no strong influence in the Housepets universe in general. Buuut I wouldn't go as far to say that Joey is a minor character.

That said, I'm sure Rick will place more focus on other characters if he feels like it, but right now (and at the end of the year), he feels like touching upon more serious topics, and King is a strong candidate for this.

But yes, we need more Peanut arcs :)
I understand what you mean, but I never said I wanted Tiger/Joey going through this, I just mean that we don't get enough arcs with them as pillar characters. And also, it's not exactly drama when it involves teenaged monstrous glistening hunk apparition nerds. :P
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Perfesser_Bear wrote:
TheOne wrote:I can completely see John de Lancie (think Q) doing Pete's voice for "Housepets!: The Animated Series".
Yes! Yes, exactly! He'd be perfect -- just the right snottiness-is-next-to-godliness attitude.
This cannot be unthought anymore... Q for Pete!
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Render wrote:
Perfesser_Bear wrote:
This cannot be unthought anymore... Q for Pete!
I unthink it. Nick Bakay! Who do we want? Nick Bakay! :P
Ninkurou

Can't Wait!

Post by Ninkurou »

I Can't Wait until the Comics comes out. I'm very, very, very happy!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Perfesser_Bear wrote:
Jamonius wrote:All this speculation about King revealing the truth to Bailey caused this little sequence to pop into my head.

Bailey: Wait, you were human once and Pete turned you into a dog? How is that even possible?
Pete: You really want to know?
Bailey: Yes, I want to know!
King: NOOOO!
*POOF*
Humanized Bailey: WHAT THE H***?!
Okay, amending what I said earlier, A naked, upset, human Bailey would be both amazing and terrifying.
The mere action of reading this made my head all dizzy. I don't thing my delicate mind could handle such madness being represented within the comic! XO
Darastrixen wrote:
Argent wrote:
Not entirely. It was shown that avatars *can* die. The important take-away from that is that the "Cosmic Nerds" are not omnipotent, or are forbidden somehow from safeguarding their allies from fatal harm. We learn from the Trial in Heaven that normal circumstances have the players working together (aka, like a typical roleplaying game), to combat things like "archdemons," a naturally dangerous activity for mortals.

What is going on now is a slightly different story. Dragon and Pete had a so-called "falling out," and are now partaking in a "duel." Whereas before they were (ostensibly) strictly helping mortals with their goals, this time they are fighting each other with their mortal allies. There's no external, third-party danger, and it would seem extremely negligent of them to allow the duel to be to the death. The entire trial in heaven went on, in fact, because it needed to be determined "whether your [Pete's] actions bespeak of malice." He defended himself by making it clear that he and the others do not do anything to the mortal that "life doesn't already do to them."
This game and metaphysical, multidimensional thing is so interesting yet so underdetailed!
I sincerelly am extremely, extremely, extremely, extremely (etcetera.) sad that Rick just wants to finish the cosmic nerds story and move on for good. I speak straight from the heart when I say this: The fantasy genre suits Rick perfectly and his very good at it!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
valerio

Post by valerio »

diss wrote:
copper wrote:When is that heavenly messenger going to show up anyway?
*points at the beautiful gryphon*
And what if Bailey was the heavenly messenger? Du-DUNN!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

If Pete is a being from Heaven, I am the king of Siam.

Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

No, sorry, I'm the King of Siam. :P
gameangel147

Post by gameangel147 »

Oh man, I didn't think she would wake up. Though I'm kind of happy, I thought she was going to sit this one out.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Silly Zealot wrote:If Pete is a being from Heaven, I am the king of Siam.
SuperStar wrote:No, sorry, I'm the King of Siam. :P
If you were siamese twins, you could both be king. :P

Image Image
ImageImageImage
KingForevermore
Location: In the north eastern part of the second largest state in the US

Post by KingForevermore »

What will king decide to tell Bailey?

Will Pete try something stupid?

How will Bailey react?

So many questions, but we'll have to wait till tomorrow to find out! (Unless Rick decides to post a one-off.)
The logic!?!? Where has it gone?
Sansash

Post by Sansash »

Could Bailey be hiding a puppy bump in the first panel?

...Nah ;)
Karl

Post by Karl »

Sansash wrote:Could Bailey be hiding a puppy bump in the first panel?
Guess what I just did after reading your post.
I'm a bookworm!
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Iceheart wrote:I bet Kevin could take Pete in an arm wrestling match
I've got a fan crush on Kevin, I admit.

Also, I gotta change my avatar already.
Feel my icy wrath!
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Karl wrote:
Guess what I just did after reading your post.
Two possibilities:
a) hiding your own puppy bump
b) going back to the comich checking the first panel.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Well, this is the ending arc for the Cosmic Nerds, and should be a great send off. I think everyone involved will get their time in the sun, including Fox.

As for the boon Kitsune mentioned, it could be a happy ending with Bailey..... or it could be what King always begged them for, to be changed back into a human and have the prison sentence be taken care of.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Render wrote:If you were siamese twins, you could both be king. :P
If I can't be the king of Siam alone, no one will! *Reminds everyone that Siam no longer exists.*
That's what I've suspecting and fearing since last monday....

Argent

Post by Argent »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Render wrote:If you were siamese twins, you could both be king. :P
If I can't be the king of Siam alone, no one will! *Reminds everyone that Siam no longer exists.*
That's what happens when you Thai for first place.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Hey, no puns based on nations. That's racist, :P