Post by Sinder »

Kyderra is my avatar

and she's awesome
ImageImage
ImageImage
Liam

Re: Arc #32: The Dog Days of Summer

Post by Liam »

rickgriffin wrote:I am using the word 'avatar' as the closest word to what I wanted to express. Nothing about it excludes the idea that the avatar can be a separate incarnation, and in fact almost definitely MEANS a separate incarnation from that which it represents. It does not exclude a "chosen vessel" definition, which is clearly how Pete is using it to talk about King.

I don't think Avatar has stuck to its literal dictionary definition in fiction for several years now, since it came to mean something else in computers.

I could have used another term, Champion, but I had been considering using that for something else, because it suggests something COMPLETELY separate from that which it represents.
Oh, that makes things clearer.

So Tarot is like King an actual entity, but functions as a sort of agent for the Dragon completing certain tasks in order to help her "patron" win the game. Maybe a chesspiece allegory would be even more striking.

All above is pretty good captured by the term "Champion" as opposed to "Avatar", what implies either direct physical control/possession of someone else or transformation of a player to participate in the game.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Liam wrote:Maybe a chesspiece allegory would be even more striking.
THE CHESS METAPHOR IS STUPIDLY VAGUE
ImageImage
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sinder wrote:Kyderra is my avatar

and she's awesome
*rolls a will dice for Two Twig to become my avatar*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

Sinder wrote:
I agree. The D&D is actually better once you think that the characters one uses in the game are usually nothing like the person that plays them, they just direct the actions that the characters take. Add in that these actually exist and have their own will and you see how complex this really is...still want to know how they win.
And then God saw the havoc that humanity had wrought upon the earth, and he said unto them 'muffins and cookies kids, get off my lawn'
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Champion does fit better, the Greek Gods would assume human avatars but these people would not be individual entities. However its Rick's call and if he's got champions on reserve I can't wait to see how he uses it. My guess is Bino and King have a fight to the death to be Sasha's champion.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Ratros wrote:The D&D is actually better once you think that the characters one uses in the game are usually nothing like the person that plays them, they just direct the actions that the characters take.
You mean like in chess, where one doesn't become a queen, rook or bishop just because you make a move with them?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Ratros wrote:
Sinder wrote:
I agree. The D&D is actually better once you think that the characters one uses in the game are usually nothing like the person that plays them, they just direct the actions that the characters take. Add in that these actually exist and have their own will and you see how complex this really is...still want to know how they win.
But in D&D you don't "win" in the traditional sense. There is no set plotline, and there is no set end. There is no way to "win" in d&d, besides accomplishing your goals. Even then, there is much more to do after you defeat the Big Baddie, or you return the Magical Artifact of Insert Name Here. So I don't think you can "win" in Universes and Unrealities either.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ratros wrote:Hey IceKitsune, I'm still waiting on levels and classes, since you ARE the GM and all....I'm never gonna be able to come out of this corner...
I really don't think I (or anyone really) can answer that question right now (or ever) because it would be way to vague.
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

IceKitsune wrote:
I really don't think I (or anyone really) can answer that question right now (or ever) because it would be way to vague.
lol, yeah, I doubt that there is anything as simple as class and level in this thing, but you can't blame a guy for messing with ya.

Liam wrote:You mean like in chess, where one doesn't become a queen, rook or bishop just because you make a move with them?
That's where the difference comes in. In chess you have a set of moves that you can only make, while in this there are an infinite number of possibilities. Add in the fact that the pieces in chess have no personality of their own, but are in fact meant to mirror a war, while in D&D they do have their own personalities and goals. Now in U&U we have the possibility of the avatars not wanting to do what their...ummm...Bobs (Big Omniscient Buddies) tell them too, adding in a depth that you normally wouldn't have in either. Hope that made more sense than the first post.
ctcmjh wrote:But in D&D you don't "win" in the traditional sense. There is no set plotline, and there is no set end. There is no way to "win" in d&d, besides accomplishing your goals. Even then, there is much more to do after you defeat the Big Baddie, or you return the Magical Artifact of Insert Name Here. So I don't think you can "win" in Universes and Unrealities either.
Ah didn't know that. I guess I should rephrase my question to "I wonder what their current goals are". What is Pete trying to do with King? What are Tarot and the dragon really up to? (besides fighting over Peanut)
And then God saw the havoc that humanity had wrought upon the earth, and he said unto them 'muffins and cookies kids, get off my lawn'
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

There IS a win condition in D&D. It's whatever the GM and/or players decide on it being.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

You know no one is talking about this who exactly moved Pete's Temple and were was it originally (My guess is in the Middle East some where hence Babylon on the Map) and why did they move it and also how? I bet the people who moved his temple are going to be the main bad guy/antagonists of the series eventually because its clear while Pete is a jerk (and IMO so is The Spirit Dragon somewhat but that is just my feelings on it) he is not the main antagonist any more (if he ever really was) I just wonder who it could have been who moved it. (Unless it was Milton and Rick is going for a Gargoyles like thing here with the moving of the Temple)

Edit: I just got a great Idea for a Crossover Housepets!/Gargoyles anyone?
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

IceKitsune wrote:You know no one is talking about this who exactly moved Pete's Temple and were was it originally (My guess is in the Middle East some where hence Babylon on the Map) and why did they move it and also how? I bet the people who moved his temple are going to be the main bad guy/antagonists of the series eventually because its clear while Pete is a jerk (and IMO so is The Spirit Dragon somewhat but that is just my feelings on it) he is not the main antagonist any more (if he ever really was) I just wonder who it could have been who moved it. (Unless it was Milton and Rick is going for a Gargoyles like thing here with the moving of the Temple)

Edit: I just got a great Idea for a Crossover Housepets!/Gargoyles anyone?
1. I would love the crossover.

2. I thought the main antagonist would be Milton's mustached ?son?, but now I believe that although he probably will be showing up again, he might not be the main bad guy.

3. Since Rick says it's possible, I have to once again wonder what the winning conditions are, and if they are different for each player or if it's whoever can gets it done first.

4. Rick is laughing at everyone who thought they had this figured out.
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Zander wrote:Image
ROFLMAO
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

Dr. Prower wrote:
Zander wrote:Image
ROFLMAO
Did you make that or find that??

Edit: Zander made it lol
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ratros wrote:
1. I would love the crossover.

2. I thought the main antagonist would be Milton's mustached ?son?, but now I believe that although he probably will be showing up again, he might not be the main bad guy.

3. Since Rick says it's possible, I have to once again wonder what the winning conditions are, and if they are different for each player or if it's whoever can gets it done first.

4. Rick is laughing at everyone who thought they had this figured out.
1. As soon as I can figure out a Plot for it I might just start working on it.
2. You know at first I thought that Joel would be a recurring villain in the series before he was turned into King (so I was right about him coming back but in the wrong way but I doubt any one foresaw him becoming King.)
3. Who knows maybe King will ask in the next couple of Strips (I wonder how much longer this arc will go anyway.)

Oh and on another note I've personally dubbed their U&U group (Dragon,Pete, and Kitsune) The Cosmic Nerds (or TCN for short) because really that's what they are feel free to use it to refer to them if you wish.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Guys, this is U&U. It can use whatever terminology it wants, however dissimilar to D&D's.

Also, did my post just turn into a minor sensation? I feel so loved.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Does this mean that Sabrina is an avatar too?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Typhon wrote:Does this mean that Sabrina is an avatar too?
Its possible shes the Kitsunes Avatar (if he/she even has one) but really it could also be just about anyone at this point or even no one we know but if its some one we know from the main cast then again I suspect its either Maxwell,Sasha,or Sabrina and I'm leaning toward Sasha because of what Pete said about her being protected.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

EVERYONE IS AN AVATAR and King is the only one out of the loop
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

rickgriffin wrote:EVERYONE IS AN AVATAR and King is the only one out of the loop
People need to give up on guessing you. You're too crazy for everyone.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You don't have to worry about our crazy theories. People will figure things out in due time. Just worry about making a great comic; nothing wrong with wild mass guessing.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Sinder wrote:Kyderra is my avatar

and she's awesome
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I thought Kyderra was a boy.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

but hitler said she was a girl
ImageImage
ImageImage
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Now this is just getting silly. Let's just say there are no genders on the internet.

...So... The Dog Days of Summer, huh? There's this crazy fox person now. What's up with that? I'm not sure it uses an avatar; it seems to be the GM of sorts.
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Sleet wrote:Now this is just getting silly. Let's just say there are no genders on the internet.

...So... The Dog Days of Summer, huh? There's this crazy fox person now. What's up with that? I'm not sure it uses an avatar; it seems to be the GM of sorts.
It reminds me of the nine tails fox from naruto *cough *cough
fenning

Post by fenning »

I think we all know his name is Great Kitsune by now, so, yeah. I guess his mom owns the universe, or something, since he is the DM, or UM in this case (It seems as though the rules for D&D are "My house, MY DUNGEON). I hope he has an avatar (free will or not)! He seems pretty interesting!
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

rickgriffin wrote:
arcict wrote: While I appreciate the "additional information" update to the previous page it wasn't very necessary to me.
Well SOME people needed additional grounding to reassure them that I wasn't suddenly throwing all rules everywhere out the window for the sake of a stupid gag
Is that a shot?! :P
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I suddenly got this urge to watch Avatar related movies.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Buckdida wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:
arcict wrote: While I appreciate the "additional information" update to the previous page it wasn't very necessary to me.
Well SOME people needed additional grounding to reassure them that I wasn't suddenly throwing all rules everywhere out the window for the sake of a stupid gag
Is that a shot?! :P
lol
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
Foldo

Post by Foldo »

The Great Kitsune is Mr. Bigglesworth, guys, it's evident.

Or I'm confusing with Mr. Bigglesworth.

Maybe.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Foldo wrote:The Great Kitsune is Mr. Bigglesworth, guys, it's evident.

Maybe.
No, the spirit would get confused on who he picked.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

CoffeeJunkie

Post by CoffeeJunkie »

The Great Kitsune is Max...
24 - Number of times my name has brought upon the saying "I like coffee!"
Ratros

Post by Ratros »

rickgriffin wrote:EVERYONE IS AN AVATAR and King is the only one out of the loop
Great, you've all driven Rick mad....or rather madder....does this mean I gets to be an avatar?
Foldo

Post by Foldo »

Alex wrote:
Foldo wrote:The Great Kitsune is Mr. Bigglesworth, guys, it's evident.

Maybe.
No, the spirit would get confused on who he picked.
You forget he is the Great Spirit! D:<
Chairoum
Location: Floating on a cloud; dropping waterballoons on your head.

Post by Chairoum »

Aloha, all. Terribly sorry if I've messed up some new-guy etiquette, posting here first off. Please don't kill me.

I will not waste your time saying how great the comic is; because I quite frankly lack the words. Instead, I submit that this Great Kitsune person is absolutely adorable. And that he/she/it must be hugged. Viciously. Viciously hugged.

That is all.

OT-Deacon: S-4 P-8 E-3 C-8 I-8 A-5 L-6.
JOFOXX

Post by JOFOXX »

Chairoum wrote:Aloha, all. Terribly sorry if I've messed up some new-guy etiquette, posting here first off. Please don't kill me.

I will not waste your time saying how great the comic is; because I quite frankly lack the words. Instead, I submit that this Great Kitsune person is absolutely adorable. And that he/she/it must be hugged. Viciously. Viciously hugged.

That is all.
I agree!

And welcome to the forums! (That was the first time I've ever said that to anyone. It makes me feel empowered.)
Typhon

Post by Typhon »

Chairoum wrote:Aloha, all. Terribly sorry if I've messed up some new-guy etiquette, posting here first off. Please don't kill me.

That is all.
Quite frankly i don't even know how this great Kitsune came about i never bothered to click back on the pages for this thread. I too, just go wit the flow lol
Barkeron

Post by Barkeron »

670 Comments on this comic strip? o.O Wow..