Chat thread

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Locked
User avatar
Anonymous_Pyro
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Internet

Chat thread

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

The tittle says at all.
A chat thread so you can talk and stuff.

Keep it nice and clean.
Gentlemen.

Ebly
Posts: 4246
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:01 am
Location: Imagination!

Re: Chat thread

Post by Ebly »

Whoooooo let's hope this works out and is allowed. :|
I was going to make a joke but then I did.

User avatar
Anonymous_Pyro
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Chat thread

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

Ebly wrote:Whoooooo let's hope this works out and is allowed.
I don't think making a chat thread is against the rules.
It would be so dumb to say this is not allowed.
Gentlemen.

Ebly
Posts: 4246
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:01 am
Location: Imagination!

Re: Chat thread

Post by Ebly »

Anonymous_Pyro wrote:
Ebly wrote:Whoooooo let's hope this works out and is allowed.
I don't think making a chat thread is against the rules.
It would be so dumb to say this is not allowed.
I have to admit that I'd be annoyed, yeah. We all used to chat so much anyway.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.

User avatar
Alex
Posts: 3792
Joined: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:41 pm
Location: End of Time
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Alex »

You know, I doubt a thread for chatting will work out very well. How about we create a channel in mIRC? Then we could all join and chat all day and all of the night. Would be awesome, no?
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7


Image

User avatar
ToastyJester
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by ToastyJester »

I'm down for a chat thread. I'm down with a chatroom. I don't care which one, cause I'm
Impartial.

But hey both give me a way to communicate with people outside PM's (seeing how I try to remain in my cave and out of the eyes of the other forumites), so I am content. But yeah with chatroom/chat thread there will be so much more toast on these forums.

You don't understand how much toast there will be...
VMy comic: Has that new car smell!V
Image
Jester S: 3 P: 7 E: 3 C: 9 I: 7 A: 5 L: 8
Caroline S: 5 P: 9 E: 5 C: 3 I: 8 A: 7 L: 5

User avatar
Dylan
Box Fox
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 am
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Dylan »

YAY!
can everyone join?
Image
Make Pasta not war.

Slippery-Q
Posts: 820
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 am
Location: El Paso, Texas

Re: Chat thread

Post by Slippery-Q »

I will post one thing, and one thing only.

Ahem.. Slippy was here.

User avatar
Flamboyant-Pencil
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

On an completely unrelated note, I finally read the Doom comic.

I will never be the same again.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED

User avatar
Jimmy Jazz
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:16 pm
Location: My tower of hay

Re: Chat thread

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Alex wrote:...How about we create a channel in mIRC?...
I'll try and figure that out, AND lets talk about dinosaurs i will only respond to dinosaur and mIRC related posts here. :mrgreen:
Image

what what? Jolly good time.

User avatar
ToastyJester
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by ToastyJester »

Jimmy Jazz wrote: lets talk about dinosaurs i will only respond to dinosaur and mIRC related posts here.
I like that dinosaur with the mace tail. He makes things go smashy smashy, and spits in T-Rexs' faces. He's my hero.
VMy comic: Has that new car smell!V
Image
Jester S: 3 P: 7 E: 3 C: 9 I: 7 A: 5 L: 8
Caroline S: 5 P: 9 E: 5 C: 3 I: 8 A: 7 L: 5

User avatar
Dylan
Box Fox
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 am
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Dylan »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9c2K4Jl5LI

This enough dinosaur for you?
Image
Make Pasta not war.

User avatar
Jimmy Jazz
Posts: 846
Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:16 pm
Location: My tower of hay

Re: Chat thread

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

Dylan wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V9c2K4Jl5LI

This enough dinosaur for you?
Holy.... i want that on DVD i don't care how corny it is.
ToastyJester wrote: I like that dinosaur with the mace tail. He makes things go smashy smashy, and spits in T-Rexs' faces. He's my hero.


What?.... that one (i think) is a herbivore. :|
Image

what what? Jolly good time.

User avatar
ToastyJester
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by ToastyJester »

Yeah but he can still smash in people's faces. He doesn't necessarily need to eat them.
He feeds them to his minions to expand his glorious empire...
VMy comic: Has that new car smell!V
Image
Jester S: 3 P: 7 E: 3 C: 9 I: 7 A: 5 L: 8
Caroline S: 5 P: 9 E: 5 C: 3 I: 8 A: 7 L: 5

Ebly
Posts: 4246
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:01 am
Location: Imagination!

Re: Chat thread

Post by Ebly »

Alex wrote:You know, I doubt a thread for chatting will work out very well. How about we create a channel in mIRC? Then we could all join and chat all day and all of the night. Would be awesome, no?
I don't see how a thread for chatting wouldn't work out, honestly. It's not really a topic ABOUT chatting, but a topic FOR chatting. So we don't have to worry about going off-topic cause there is no real topic. :|

Anyway, I don't really see the point in IRC, we don't have NEARLY enough traffic for that.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.

User avatar
Anonymous_Pyro
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Chat thread

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

Ebly wrote:Anyway, I don't really see the point in IRC, we don't have NEARLY enough traffic for that.
Also, count how many active users there are now.

We are like 15 or 10, so the IRC is not avery good idea in my opinion.

Im saying active users, not those who have an account but never post because they are dead/gone.
Gentlemen.

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat
Posts: 2350
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Richardson Valley
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Buckdida »

Anonymous_Pyro wrote:
Ebly wrote:Anyway, I don't really see the point in IRC, we don't have NEARLY enough traffic for that.
Also, count how many active users there are now.

We are like 15 or 10, so the IRC is not avery good idea in my opinion.

Im saying active users, not those who have an account but never post because they are dead/gone.
Oh? Your forgetting the comments section. Should Rick decide to link the IRC info on the front page...my, my how many people we would have in there. Of course, Alex would then be up to his ears in moderation work.

Anyway, it honestly works fine. Me, toast, Dylan and Alex were in there and we had fun talking. It's like having the ability to be random without the two hour wait between posts.

Ironic. The chat thread is about chatting, not the act thereof.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack

User avatar
Anonymous_Pyro
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Chat thread

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

Buckdida wrote:stuff that i didnt read
You know what, lets stop talking about HURRR and lets keep talking about dinosaurs or something else like chocolate rain.
Gentlemen.

User avatar
ToastyJester
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by ToastyJester »

Buckdida wrote: Anyway, it honestly works fine. Me, toast, Dylan and Alex were in there and we had fun talking. It's like having the ability to be random without the two hour wait between posts.
I did not have my T capitalized. This saddens me.

Chocolate rain killed the dinosaurs. Not meteors or volcanoes. Chocolate rain.
Bam. Just covered both topics in one insane theory.

Also who else is with me on the awesomeness of the Anklyosaurus (decided to look up the name), please tell me I'm not the only one.
VMy comic: Has that new car smell!V
Image
Jester S: 3 P: 7 E: 3 C: 9 I: 7 A: 5 L: 8
Caroline S: 5 P: 9 E: 5 C: 3 I: 8 A: 7 L: 5

User avatar
Missingo
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Chat thread

Post by Missingo »

Anonymous_Pyro wrote: Also, count how many active users there are now.

We are like 15 or 10, so the IRC is not avery good idea in my opinion.

Im saying active users, not those who have an account but never post because they are dead/gone.
I'm still here. I may not post much, but I come here frequently.
Kay: S4 P9 E6 C8 I7 A5 L3

Retired Characters:
Matthew & Rachel

User avatar
Flamboyant-Pencil
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Hmm. If TV Tropes can have a Steam Group, so can HousePets >:c Think a Steam chat would be much different from an mIRC chat? Just a suggestion :v
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED

User avatar
Anonymous_Pyro
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Chat thread

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:Hmm. If TV Tropes can have a Steam Group, so can HousePets >:c Think a Steam chat would be much different from an mIRC chat? Just a suggestion :v
the only good idea i have ever seen in this thread.

but i've never seen a Steam group about a comic
Gentlemen.

User avatar
Flamboyant-Pencil
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

I never saw one for a Wiki either. Then "Tropers" popped up.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED

User avatar
Anonymous_Pyro
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Chat thread

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:I never saw one for a Wiki either. Then "Tropers" popped up.
still

Anyway, who likes drinks?
Gentlemen.

User avatar
Flamboyant-Pencil
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

A Steam group for a Wiki is a bit more out there than a Steam group for a comic wouldn't you say >8I
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat
Posts: 2350
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Richardson Valley
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Buckdida »

Housepets TF2 Server?!!?

...

Actually, that's not a very good idea. I never said that, howbout.

A steam group works for TV Tropes because...well, I don't know. It just does. Oh wait, I know: it's because there's enough gamers messing around in TV tropes to warrant a steam group. Steam is for gaming. Steam is used for TF2, L4D, G-Mod, Indie Games, and the occasional round of UT3. And Portal. Not really for community building. Forums are for the community building.

Meanwhile, I've counted about 4 avid gamers here. At least, active ones, anyway.

Not that I wouldn't join a housepets group, but Annon is right, I don't think I've ever seen a steam group for a webcomic.

EDIT: I stand corrected. Out of curiosity, I did a search on steam. Some enthusiastic fan of TwoKinds made a group but not three days ago. What timing. And of course there would be a group for Ctrl-Alt-Del; what was I thinking.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack

User avatar
Anonymous_Pyro
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Chat thread

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

Two Kinds sucks.

Prove me wrong.

Lol, i like this phrase.
Gentlemen.

User avatar
ToastyJester
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by ToastyJester »

Anonymous_Pyro wrote: Prove me wrong.

Lol, i like this phrase.
To be honest, that phrase starting to grow on me. The more I see you say it the more I nod my head in approval, quietly saying, "Yes. This is good." and that makes me give off groovy auras.
VMy comic: Has that new car smell!V
Image
Jester S: 3 P: 7 E: 3 C: 9 I: 7 A: 5 L: 8
Caroline S: 5 P: 9 E: 5 C: 3 I: 8 A: 7 L: 5

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat
Posts: 2350
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Richardson Valley
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Buckdida »

I like TwoKinds, but I enjoy Housepets! Far more.

I'M SORRY I EVEN MENTIONED THAT



So...who has had school start up again for them?
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack

User avatar
Dylan
Box Fox
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 am
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Dylan »

Hmm tf2 sever for housepets?

I play TF2 night and day but...most of us aren't gamers.
Image
Make Pasta not war.

User avatar
Flamboyant-Pencil
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 4:37 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Mine'll start soon.

Not soon enough however.

*wastes away in eternal boredom*
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED

User avatar
Missingo
Posts: 210
Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:07 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Chat thread

Post by Missingo »

School started for me yesterday.

I'm really starting to get annoyed with it. At my school, you have to take a foreign language; I sign up for German (useful in Music), with Mandarin (useful in business) as my alternate, but they put me in Spanish again. And my pre-cal teacher gives us the homework for a lesson the day BEFORE she teaches it.

I could go on, but I don't want to vent on the forums. So how is school going for the rest of you (if it has started up yet)?
Kay: S4 P9 E6 C8 I7 A5 L3

Retired Characters:
Matthew & Rachel

User avatar
Dylan
Box Fox
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 am
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Dylan »

Missingo wrote:School started for me yesterday.

I'm really starting to get annoyed with it. At my school, you have to take a foreign language; I sign up for German (useful in Music), with Mandarin (useful in business) as my alternate, but they put me in Spanish again. And my pre-cal teacher gives us the homework for a lesson the day BEFORE she teaches it.

I could go on, but I don't want to vent on the forums. So is school going nice for the rest of you (if it has started up yet)?
I have to take a foreign language too so i took Spanish because its really useful to know here.
Image
Make Pasta not war.

User avatar
ToastyJester
Posts: 172
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:18 pm
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by ToastyJester »

School started two days ago for me. It's been the same as last year. Boring at first, gonna get harder. Had to write a paper about myself for History (ended up being almost twice as long as others, mine was a full page front and back and the front of another page I think), it was enjoyable to write, seeing how I just wrote what came to mind. I started off by saying how my life is boring, and I was your typical lazy, pessimistic, sociopath. I hope that deters her from making me work in groups.

The first few days of school is always boring, and mainly we've just done the whole "Get to know your classmates" thing.
VMy comic: Has that new car smell!V
Image
Jester S: 3 P: 7 E: 3 C: 9 I: 7 A: 5 L: 8
Caroline S: 5 P: 9 E: 5 C: 3 I: 8 A: 7 L: 5

User avatar
Anonymous_Pyro
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Chat thread

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

For me, the university started like 2 months ago and im already tired.
Gentlemen.

Ebly
Posts: 4246
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:01 am
Location: Imagination!

Re: Chat thread

Post by Ebly »

Buckdida wrote: Of course, Alex would then be up to his ears in moderation work.
This is part of my point.
You might not know, but some bad comments get through when Rick's not around to make sure they don't. I'm sure valerio remembers. :|
My point is, the commenters can be scary people. I hate to say it, but I get annoyed enough with people discussing serious romantic relationships between Grape and Peanut or Max here (I mean seriously, what the hell) - let alone all those borderline sexual comments. You furries are scary people.

Anyway, I have to admit I'm mostly against ways to communicate outside of forums and comments. This is just a webcomic forum. We really don't have enough people for it to be considered a community. We're too new, too small. The forums were originally just another way to talk about the comic, in a slightly more personal (less anonymous) way. Could write longer pieces, discuss old comics as well as the new ones, speculate... All in all it was really just another way of doing the same thing we already could. I'll admit it's come a long way and is definitely developing into a community, but these things... IRC, Steam, hell there are billions of things out there we can make 'groups' in and chat on in REEL TYME MAN. I'm telling you, we're not big enough to warrant it.



ENOUGH OF THAT.
I like drinks, drinks are tasty. :|
for some reason I really really really like juice. Like surprisingly so.

I only have a few weeks before school actually gets out for one of those cute little two-week holidays. * 3*
I was going to make a joke but then I did.

User avatar
Dylan
Box Fox
Posts: 2275
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:31 am
Location: Austin, Texas
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Dylan »

Relax Ebly, the irc is not about if we are a huge community or not.
I find that its a great idea. We can talk at a faster rate then we could do on the forums
and you don't need alot of people. I was talking to Toasty for a while and it never got boring. (mostly about Toast)
Its just one of the many ways that people communicate.

Now i got to write 3 autobiographies.
Last edited by Dylan on Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Make Pasta not war.

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat
Posts: 2350
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Richardson Valley
Contact:

Re: Chat thread

Post by Buckdida »

I remember some of the comments for this comic and this comic. THEY WEREN'T VERY PLEASANT, AND I WISH I COULD FORGET THEM. One of the problems with the comments seems to be that they're harder to moderate. Although, maybe Rick can ban commentators via e-mail?

Anyway, if not now, it will come later. Because we will get bigger. And it'll be fun. I hope.



School, 'bout a week ago for me. I dislike group history projects. Lotsa homework already.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack

User avatar
Anonymous_Pyro
Posts: 240
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:49 pm
Location: Internet

Re: Chat thread

Post by Anonymous_Pyro »

The guys who comment on the comics are weird people.

But, if you have to say something about the comic, say it in the comic subforum please.
Gentlemen.

Ebly
Posts: 4246
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:01 am
Location: Imagination!

Re: Chat thread

Post by Ebly »

Dylan wrote:Relax Ebly
BECAUSE EBLY IS OBVIOUSLY WORKED UP BECAUSE OF THIS SITUATION
AH I AM SO STRESSED



Fine fine fine fine fine.
The real reason I don't want an IRC is because (1) someone else making the IRC means someone besides Rick has control of the rules and attitudes expressed. That is to say, it's entirely possible that people will see the IRC and unless one of the parties says so, may assume that Alex and Rick are affiliated in some form and support the same views and same rules. It just makes me a bit nervous having someone putting -themselves- in control. Also, (2) other communication, and I've found especially that of real-time, take away the motivation for some people to go to the slower, more detailed forums. That's not to say oh you guys aren't allowed to talk to each other anywhere other than here; I just don't want the forums to die because other places pop up that are faster.

Basically, I'm not angry, I'm anxious.

I'm also a little jealous because I dislike IRCs with a passion and generally those kinds of groups end up with their own in-jokes and references and I'd feel all out of the loop. Because people totally care how I feel. |x
I was going to make a joke but then I did.

Locked