Chat Thread 40: What in the world is JeffCvt's other name?

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Re: Chat Thread 40: What in the world is JeffCvt's other nam

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:So, have any of you guys used Windows 8? I'm actually just wondering because it seems kind of okay, but at the same time cluttered :/
It's only good on the Surface or other touch-screen based computers. If you prefer a keyboard-and-mouse setup then you're better off sticking with Win-7.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Ahhs, I hate touchscreen monitors, they just seem to add unnecessary amounts of cash to a purchase :/
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

They're just a matter of flash over substance IMO. I don't want fancy I want functional and idiot proof.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Vulpes

Post by Vulpes »

I can't say I'm a fan of touch-screens either. Especially when you're trying to click a small link, and you end up accidentally clicking something different. Makes me want to throw said device out a window.

In my opinion, Windows 8 is not as much an improvement as a change from 7. It almost seems as if it was designed with Microsoft's new tablets as the primary focus, and added to desktops as an afterthought.

Basically, it's good for touch-screens, but no better than 7 for desktops.

Just my opinion.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Touch screens have their purpose, but usually when size is an issue. A keyboard and mouse gives me access to just about any controls I could need. The only time I'd want a touchscreen is on something like a smartphone or a DS, where there's no room for that.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Mickey the Luxray wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:So, have any of you guys used Windows 8? I'm actually just wondering because it seems kind of okay, but at the same time cluttered :/
It's only good on the Surface or other touch-screen based computers. If you prefer a keyboard-and-mouse setup then you're better off sticking with Win-7.
I'd disagree very strongly. *giggles*
Vulpes wrote:In my opinion, Windows 8 is not as much an improvement as a change from 7. It almost seems as if it was designed with Microsoft's new tablets as the primary focus, and added to desktops as an afterthought.
Microsoft is trying to create a unified experience across the devices that run their operating system: tablets, smartphones, PCs, and Xbox consoles. The tiled interface isn't inappropriate for a desktop. Regarding OS performance, I've actually seen pretty dramatic speed improvements on my Windows 8 desktop, as opposed to the Windows 7 machines I've used recently. (My desktop boots to the login screen in an average of 10 seconds from hitting the power button and I don't have a Solid State Drive.)

As far as being "clunky," you can move or delete tiles on the start screen and all you have to do to search is start typing the name of the file or program you're looking for from there.

I've run Windows 8 (and subsequently, 8.1) on my desktop since July and have used Windows Phone 8 since February and I've been more than satisfied with both.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RioluNation

Post by RioluNation »

I have a Windows Phone 8, too. Just sayin'. :p
My Facebook page: Spartan Lucario
Follow me on Twitter:Lucarionation
Follow my roleplaying twitter!: Fox the Lucario
Follow me on tumblr: Lucarionation
My YouTube Channel: Lucarionation
Let's all get along. =D
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Mine's a red Nokia Lumia 822. I couldn't be happier with it.

RioluNation

Post by RioluNation »

I have the Nokia 810. I like my phone too. :)
Let's all get along. =D
Vulpes

Post by Vulpes »

Dissension wrote:
Vulpes wrote:In my opinion, Windows 8 is not as much an improvement as a change from 7. It almost seems as if it was designed with Microsoft's new tablets as the primary focus, and added to desktops as an afterthought.
Microsoft is trying to create a unified experience across the devices that run their operating system: tablets, smartphones, PCs, and Xbox consoles. The tiled interface isn't inappropriate for a desktop. Regarding OS performance, I've actually seen pretty dramatic speed improvements on my Windows 8 desktop, as opposed to the Windows 7 machines I've used recently. (My desktop boots to the login screen in an average of 10 seconds from hitting the power button and I don't have a Solid State Drive.)

As far as being "clunky," you can move or delete tiles on the start screen and all you have to do to search is start typing the name of the file or program you're looking for from there.

I've run Windows 8 (and subsequently, 8.1) on my desktop since July and have used Windows Phone 8 since February and I've been more than satisfied with both.
That's good to hear. To be honest, I haven't really used it in depth. All I can say of what I've used is that I'm indifferent to it. It's definitely not worse than W7, but I'm just not that fussed about it.

Anyway, like I said before, it's just a matter of opinion, I guess. They are very different in terms of layout, so some people are bound to like it more than others.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

what they should do is provide an option to use the more traditional layout if you don't feel comfortable with the tiled layout. that way they'd please those who like the new layout and those who don't.

I assume adding programming for a different layout wouldn't be too difficult or time consuming, since it's mostly aesthetics.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Or perhaps they want to force people to get used to it since that would make people more likely to buy their mobile devices?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Kateleo007

Post by Kateleo007 »

Sleet wrote:Or perhaps they want to force people to get used to it since that would make people more likely to buy their mobile devices?
Angering people so you can sell them outrageously over-priced tablets and smartphones? *shrugs* Eh, Apple did it.

Jack the Eevee and Barb the Buizel

George "Geo" Walker......S-8 P-4 E-7 C-7 I-6 A-7 L-3
Thank you kurowolfe for the banner!

3DS Friend Code: 1006 0495 4065
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

*is an ardent supporter of Windows XP*
Death to Microsoft for forcing us to change OS every few years! *shot*

Still, I may have to get at least Windows 7 soon, some new games and even the Touhou game series are porting up to the newer Microsoft OSses. I still like XP though, simple and gets the work done.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Windows 7 is pretty good. Windows XP was good too. They both follow the "every other Windows is good" rule.
Kateleo007

Post by Kateleo007 »

kurowolfe wrote:*is an ardent supporter of Windows XP*
*Has Windows XP because she can't afford the new OS*
*Got current computer off the street for free*

Jack the Eevee and Barb the Buizel

George "Geo" Walker......S-8 P-4 E-7 C-7 I-6 A-7 L-3
Thank you kurowolfe for the banner!

3DS Friend Code: 1006 0495 4065
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

*Has windows 8.1 and is giving me h-... lots and lots of trouble.
*Hates Microsoft

(btw, is it me or is the chat thread not a active as it used to be?)
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's less spammy.

I use Windows 7 and have no desire to upgrade at the moment.
Liam

Post by Liam »

While we're at the topic of computer machines, Holy Mary whatever happened to Youtube?!
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

I dunno, I hardly notice anything.
What actually changed??
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

the comments section is run through Google+ now
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

Ah right, well no wonder I didn't notice anything then...
Liam

Post by Liam »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:the comments section is run through Google+ now
That and some other minor issues.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

"I'd prefer not to use my real name or switch to a Google+ account. I'd rather keep my perfectly satisfactory Youtube account, thank you.

*attempts to comment on a video*

Oh..."

Surely with the overwhelmingly negative reaction to all this crap, they'll change something.
*cough*
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

My big issues are the fact that people keep embedding links that are full of viruses or those screamer videos ect. and the fact that there is no limit as to how long a comment can be. No joke, I have seen the script to Star Wars Episode IV a couple of times
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I've always used Microsoft products. Right now, all of the computers in my house run Windows 7. That probably will stay like that until they expire too. =P

I hear Windows 8 is awesome for it's ease on space and ram on computers, but don't quote me on that since I barely touched Windows 8 much, but I like the tile system.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Mickey the Luxray

The Grey Wolverine wrote:My big issues are the fact that people keep embedding links that are full of viruses or those screamer videos ect. and the fact that there is no limit as to how long a comment can be. No joke, I have seen the script to Star Wars Episode IV a couple of times
I personally think that's one of the better changes made in the update. Cutting down responses to 500 characters was a chore, I'm glad to see it go. Besides, at least they aren't splitting the script into a bunch of 500-character comments. That would be a lot worse than just one super-long comment (that can be expanded and retracted).
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

I like the fact that the comments aren't limited!
GameCobra wrote:I've always used Microsoft products. Right now, all of the computers in my house run Windows 7. That probably will stay like that until they expire too. =P

I hear Windows 8 is awesome for it's ease on space and ram on computers, but don't quote me on that since I barely touched Windows 8 much, but I like the tile system.
Win 8 is a horror! It became a bit better with the 8.1 update that was given away for free (because Micro just KNEW they screwed up somewhere).
I already hate Microsoft, but for all its "streamlined betterness" there is a crap load of stuff that just doesn't work, like for instance apps downloaded from the app store that just keep returning you to the Metro screen and not loading.
This was solved somewhat with the update, but what wasn't solved at all is this:
Driver updating.
When you ask windows to check on the web if there is a newer version for your factory supplied drivers from 2009 or even 2006 its convinced that there are none to be found.
Look for them manually and you'll find them piece-of-cake, so why can't windows???
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Tattorack wrote:Win 8 is a horror! It became a bit better with the 8.1 update that was given away for free (because Micro just KNEW they screwed up somewhere).
All products are updated over their lifetime. The 8.1 update was planned for a very long time and wasn't an emergency release.
Tattorack wrote:I already hate Microsoft, but for all its "streamlined betterness" there is a crap load of stuff that just doesn't work, like for instance apps downloaded from the app store that just keep returning you to the Metro screen and not loading.
Apps crash, it's possibly the app. I haven't experienced much of this on desktop Windows.
Tattorack wrote:Driver updating.
When you ask windows to check on the web if there is a newer version for your factory supplied drivers from 2009 or even 2006 its convinced that there are none to be found.
Look for them manually and you'll find them piece-of-cake, so why can't windows???
This has never happened, in my experience. When I install new hardware or a peripheral, even from obscure suppliers, Windows 8 has always immediately downloaded and installed the latest drivers for that product.

Mickey the Luxray

I think I know something even worse than Win8.
Factory-installed bloatware.
OH. MY. DOG. Don't even get me STARTED on factory-installed bloatware.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh God bloatware is the worst. When I get a new computer I wipe it and reinstall the OS. I don't remember which computer it was but one of mine had Windows preinstalled with no installation disc so I actually ran a pirated copy of Windows despite having legally purchased that same version. I'm gonna go ahead and call that legal. XP
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I built my desktop and Microsoft requires all phone OEMs and carriers to make their "bloatwear" easily deleted. It'd be pretty cool if they extended those contracts to cover desktop computers and laptops.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

On the subject of Microsoft
My dad's department recently had a fun time tracking down an issue on their website which ends up being that ASP.Net (a microsoft product) does not recognize Internet Explorer 11 (a microsoft product) and thus does not realize it is capable of using cookies. :roll: All people accessing the website with IE11 were only getting an error message and nothing more.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I really should learn how these new fangled computer things work one of these days.........
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:I don't remember which computer it was but one of mine had Windows preinstalled with no installation disc
as far as I know, that's the case with a bunch of brands. I know for a fact I ran into that problem with my Sony Vaio
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Since Windows 7, PCs have included a recovery partition. Most manufacturers have stopped including recovery media with new computers, but you can make your own, use the included recovery partition, or (usually) order recovery media from the manufacturer. Some of them charge quite a lot, though.

Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

Dissension wrote: All products are updated over their lifetime. The 8.1 update was planned for a very long time and wasn't an emergency release.
I know they were planning it out for a long time, because so many users had complaints about just win8
Dissension wrote:Apps crash, it's possibly the app. I haven't experienced much of this on desktop Windows.
Every app? Simultaniously? It made no differance to what app, they crashed. And I'm far from the only person who has it.
Almost every topic that got created about this problem had 10 or 20 other users agreeing that they had the exact same problem (and hardly no replies from Micro).
I guess you're just lucky...
Dissension wrote:This has never happened, in my experience. When I install new hardware or a peripheral, even from obscure suppliers, Windows 8 has always immediately downloaded and installed the latest drivers for that product.
Well not here, and again; not the only one with the exact same ptoblem...
RioluNation

Post by RioluNation »

Subject: Just One Word After Another
Saturn381 wrote:Hungary
RioluNation wrote:international peace treaty
Ok, someone changed what I had written. My original word was "Y-u-r-i", which I'm quite sure can be a person's name.
The last time I checked my rules of my game says this:
RioluNation wrote:This should be easy. You say a word corresponding to the last letter of the previous person. For example:
Person 1: Red

Person 2: dragon (or dragons, so the third person can say an s-lettered word instead of an n-lettered word)
When I went to go and edit my post, it showed "Y-u-r-i." But my post says otherwise. I would like this fixed please and thank you.

EDIT: I noticed it changed my word again, so now I had this edited to show what I'm talking about.
Let's all get along. =D
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

that's our forum censor at work. It catches words that are likely to refer to forum inappropriate topics and replaces them with others. You can see the actual word in the edit screen, but it posts as a different word or phrase.

usually, attempts to bypass the censor, including separating the letters of the censored words, are against the rules. but since in this case it's referring to a forum appropriate meaning of the word, It's fine in this context.

Mod Speak:don't do that when the censorship is justified, or you will be bonked :)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RioluNation

Post by RioluNation »

Thanks for helping. I honestly meant no harm whatsoever.
Let's all get along. =D