2013/10/11 - Topical Humor 2: Electric Boogaloo

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Re: 2013/10/11 - Topical Humor 2: Electric Boogaloo

Post by TheOne »

Sheogorath wrote:I always though a shotgun wedding was where one side is being forced to marry at gunpoint whether literally or figuratively. Guess I was wrong.
In order to prevent the child from being 'delivered' out of wedlock, the parents forcefully make the man and woman get married. The force used is typically a shotgun pointed at the face of the man, which is where the "shotgun" part comes from.
Usually personal and religious moral codes are used as the motivation to force a couple into marriage in this way. For many people (stereotypically in the remote regions of Kentucky, Tennessee, and other U.S. states in the Appalachian mountains) it is a public disgrace to have a child in the family that is "born out of wedlock." The "shotgun wedding" is an attempt to avoid that disgrace.

Mod Edit: You may not evade the profanity filter or discuss non-PG things here. Sorry.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Haru Totetsu
Location: Universe A-1.7, Section C, Solar System: Delta, Earth, United Kingdom, England, Cheshire

Post by Haru Totetsu »

Hmmm....anyone know anything about the nations of Africa and their politics? Or anyone know about countries that have had their borders fully closed or still have them fully closed, and their politics?

I think we can't really have a discussion about politics of a nation in a work of fiction that depicts an actual location in the real world without that information.
Gren

Post by Gren »

Haru Totetsu wrote:Hmmm....anyone know anything about the nations of Africa and their politics? Or anyone know about countries that have had their borders fully closed or still have them fully closed, and their politics?

I think we can't really have a discussion about politics of a nation in a work of fiction that depicts an actual location in the real world without that information.
I don't think is an appropriate topic to discuss. So says the first rule of this community after all:
Housepets! is a family-friendly comic. Please do not post material that would be inappropriate for children. As an example, pregnancy is fine, but I flunked middle school is not. Likewise, graphic violence, politics, religion, drug use, illegal activity, profanity, and other potentially controversial topics are not allowed.
ImageImage
Ruff0tter

Post by Ruff0tter »

Wow...
Well as far as I can tell this really comes down to her owner.
Technicly he could dispute Jata's claim and Sabrina could in theroy go to a conulite and renouce her citizenship to Jata's nation...
Course given Sabrina's dad's job... its more likely he'd side with Jata so he can return too and resume his studies. Rather then help Sabrina resist and risk Jata slamming the door on his face.
Again I feel this marriage in Jata's eyes is strictly political.
In fact he might even be going to the childhood fling to get out of an arrianged marriage he would be forced to undergo if he didn't chose a bride himself in a set time.
A cute otter...with red eyes....ah a demon!!!
Oh wait he's just an albino.
Azsassin

Post by Azsassin »

Shotgun wedding.... *pumps shotgun* Also nice new Bannar!
Never join something you can't quit. Join something you will stay in.
~Kevin Fan~
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Uhm... Fido is saying something kinda right: any wedding, forced or not, can be considered an ownering, or at least, there's less freedom for both. :P But, his claim makes him a big hypocrite, yes. He would be the owner of his future wife (hoping to marry Sabrina)?

Anyway, in which cellar are they now?
Argent wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:Is Sabrina leaning on the fourth wall in the last panel?
Looks like the second to me.
She's only on a table. It's so clear that she is some meters distant from all the room walls.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

0-0 A SHOTGUUU..... uhh nvm -hides behind boulder -
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Argent

Post by Argent »

Cesco wrote:
Argent wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:Is Sabrina leaning on the fourth wall in the last panel?
Looks like the second to me.
She's only on a table. It's so clear that she is some meters distant from all the room walls.
Not that kind of wall.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Hmm, I wonder if Fido's owners know about him and Sabrina's relationship? I mean he has to have noticed Fido walking into the basement with her at least once by now.
Also, I don't get the title, could someone please hit me with a brick explain it to me?
I think Rick is dareing us to compare Jata's country and politics with the current Government shutdown happening in the US of A...hense Sabrina looking at us out of the corner of her eye while talking about politicians in the last panel.
*hint* Hint* *wink* *push* *SHOVE* *PUNCH!* :D
ImageImageImageImage
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

I love Topical Humor. Maybe Rick should create an arc based entirely on improv!
Feel my icy wrath!
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

I wonder how Max's strength training with Kevin is going.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

who is sabrinas owner anyway?
Gren

Post by Gren »

matthew Wolf wrote:who is sabrinas owner anyway?
This man:
ImageImage
Haru Totetsu
Location: Universe A-1.7, Section C, Solar System: Delta, Earth, United Kingdom, England, Cheshire

Post by Haru Totetsu »

Gren wrote:
Haru Totetsu wrote:Hmmm....anyone know anything about the nations of Africa and their politics? Or anyone know about countries that have had their borders fully closed or still have them fully closed, and their politics?

I don't think is an appropriate topic to discuss. So says the first rule of this community after all:
Housepets! is a family-friendly comic. Please do not post material that would be inappropriate for children. As an example, pregnancy is fine, but I flunked middle school is not. Likewise, graphic violence, politics, religion, drug use, illegal activity, profanity, and other potentially controversial topics are not allowed.
So why then ask us to discuss politics at all? Why even mention it's an African micro-nation? It seems like a very foolish move if we aren't allowed to discuss politics. Why make the suggestion at all if it isn't permitted?
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Haru Totetsu wrote:
Gren wrote:

So why then ask us to discuss politics at all? Why even mention it's an African micro-nation? It seems like a very foolish move if we aren't allowed to discuss politics. Why make the suggestion at all if it isn't permitted?
It's Rick's house, Rick's rules. If Rick says this one time we can discuss politics, then I'd say we can discuss politics.

It's Rick's way or the highway. Rickhouse!
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Now I hope they get to buy some generic fruit pies.
Feel my icy wrath!
WhoElseButQuagmire

Gamewolf67 wrote:Now I hope they get to buy some generic fruit pies.
Dibs on the BBQ flavored one!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Haru Totetsu wrote:So why then ask us to discuss politics at all? Why even mention it's an African micro-nation? It seems like a very foolish move if we aren't allowed to discuss politics. Why make the suggestion at all if it isn't permitted?
Well, I think it shouldn't be a problem to discuss politics as long as it no departs from the comic. The problem is when you compare the fictional world of Housepets with RL matters. This has happened before when some people began a heated debate about the Cosmic Order (which is polytheistic) and Christianity. The thing is that not everything in HP! world is exactly as in reality, especially those kind of controversial topics. So in order to have a civilized discussion we should avoid relate the fiction on this comic with RL's heavy matters.

Now back to topic, I think the only way for Sabrina to avoid the wedding with Jata is if she gets married with Fido first. So who's calling a quick flight to Las Vegas? Or maybe Tarot could do the job? Or the forest critters?
ImageImage
Multani Raynz

Post by Multani Raynz »

Gren wrote:
Haru Totetsu wrote:So why then ask us to discuss politics at all? Why even mention it's an African micro-nation? It seems like a very foolish move if we aren't allowed to discuss politics. Why make the suggestion at all if it isn't permitted?
Well, I think it shouldn't be a problem to discuss politics as long as it no departs from the comic. The problem is when you compare the fictional world of Housepets with RL matters. This has happened before when some people began a heated debate about the Cosmic Order (which is polytheistic) and Christianity. The thing is that not everything in HP! world is exactly as in reality, especially those kind of controversial topics. So in order to have a civilized discussion we should avoid relate the fiction on this comic with RL's heavy matters
seems like we finally got to heart of this debate. can Rick mention RL topics/countries in a strip and not have people relate it to/have debates about RL topics/places?
Kneel before my aww...someness
WhoElseButQuagmire

Gren wrote:
Now back to topic, I think the only way for Sabrina to avoid the wedding with Jata is if she gets married with Fido first. So who's calling a quick flight to Las Vegas? Or maybe Tarot could do the job? Or the forest critters?

I still think Jata needs to meet up with Spookmaster. Give 'em the works!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Send the Army to Feraga to resolve the conflict.

There must be some left who aren't furloughed.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

i just noticed why havent i seen spo on fidos head recently ?
WhoElseButQuagmire

matthew Wolf wrote:i just noticed why havent i seen spo on fidos head recently ?
Good question. Maybe Spo's still hanging out with Squeak.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
matthew Wolf wrote:i just noticed why havent i seen spo on fidos head recently ?
Good question. Maybe Spo's still hanging out with Squeak.
Maybe Fido doesn't want Spo to reveal his relationship while he's with her in a public place, like the restaurant.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Manic Mustelid

Post by Manic Mustelid »

*ahem* cough (clears throat) fweeeeeeeeek (microphone feedback) . . .wondering if I can make this post before the Midnight Deadline rolls around. . .that is if there really is one. . .at least before the new comic is posted. . .

Gren wrote:Now back to topic, I think the only way for Sabrina to avoid the wedding with Jata is if she gets married with Fido first. So who's calling a quick flight to Las Vegas? Or maybe Tarot could do the job? Or the forest critters?
I know the one who can! (in a hushed awestruck voice) . . .the Opener of Ways -- !

(And is Grape still under the table? :P)

BTW. . .that washing machine sure is looking buff today, even moreso than usual.