No
25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Argent

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Argent »

In fiction they are often characterized as actual races of people, but the myths and legends they came from were the result of anthropomorphizing the unknown. The queen of air and darkness was a personification of the terrors of the night before she was a humanoid with pointy ears and psychic powers.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Kitch wrote:Furry also isn't completely 100% anthropomorphic, since there are those whose characters are actual "dumb" animals.
Sleet wrote:How many of those animals are literally like normal animals? At the very least they tend to pick up human attributes like speech or intelligence.
Agreed: Talking animals, or animals that facepalm and make complex actions in media are also anthropomorphised....... unless, of course, they actually do it real life, like parrots and such.
Argent wrote:Elves, gnomes, kobolds, boggies, leprechauns, gods, spirits, angels, devils, all anthropomorphic manifestations of nature.
Careful! Religious people insist it's the other way around! : D
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Muninn

Post by Muninn »

Yes....sort of. I am certainly fascinated by the fandom, but I'm not sure I know enough about the terms and stuff to call myself one. Just when I think I have a good handle on what the fandom is, I hear new perspectives and terms that make me reevaluate that. But I think I am one. My totem animal is a deer, so I guess if I'm a furry and were to have a fursona, it would be a deer. I'm tall elegant and gentle enough to pass as one LOL
Argent

Post by Argent »

Silly Zealot wrote:Careful! Religious people insist it's the other way around! : D
Unless they're pantheist omnitheist they can certainly point to *some* gods that are mythological. For example, I don't think there's many people who pray to Zeus.
Last edited by Argent on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Pantheism isn't the belief in every god but rather a belief that everything is God. But we should get off this topic, especially in a thread it's not really important to.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Fixed, and we can get back to talking about conventional anthropomorphic characters like "clippy".
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

Muninn wrote:Yes....sort of. I am certainly fascinated by the fandom, but I'm not sure I know enough about the terms and stuff to call myself one. Just when I think I have a good handle on what the fandom is, I hear new perspectives and terms that make me reevaluate that. But I think I am one. My totem animal is a deer, so I guess if I'm a furry and were to have a fursona, it would be a deer. I'm tall elegant and gentle enough to pass as one LOL
my totem animal is a wolf i even have some strange characteristics of a wolf :P i can hear dog whistles ... thay literly HURT my ears i acasionally find myselfe walking on the tip of my feet like a wolf lol i have pointie canine teeth thay called me sharkboy at my last school and the spirate animal test said i was playful like a wolf would be
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Argent wrote:Fixed, and we can get back to talking about conventional anthropomorphic characters like "clippy".
Technically an anthropomorphic character, yes!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

You mean Herbie?! I could talk about that bug all day: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbie =D
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:
Argent wrote:Fixed, and we can get back to talking about conventional anthropomorphic characters like "clippy".
It looks as if you are trying to define what the word "anthropomorphic" means, do you need help with that?
matthew Wolf wrote:my totem animal is a wolf i even have some strange characteristics of a wolf :P i can hear dog whistles ... thay literly HURT my ears i acasionally find myselfe walking on the tip of my feet like a wolf lol i have pointie canine teeth thay called me sharkboy at my last school and the spirate animal test said i was playful like a wolf would be
You are coming to the lycanthropy virus happy animal shelter secret research facility with me, Mister doggy!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Argent wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:Careful! Religious people insist it's the other way around! : D
Unless they're pantheist omnitheist they can certainly point to *some* gods that are mythological. For example, I don't think there's many people who pray to Zeus.
You'd be surprised.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Argent

Post by Argent »

Well, the ones who do probably don't believe in the Kachina or Wandjina or Kami as well. And followers of those faiths are probably Zeusless.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Guys. Topic. I already said let's get off of that.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Sleet wrote:
It looks as if you are trying to define what the word "anthropomorphic" means, do you need help with that?
matthew Wolf wrote:my totem animal is a wolf i even have some strange characteristics of a wolf :P i can hear dog whistles ... thay literly HURT my ears i acasionally find myselfe walking on the tip of my feet like a wolf lol i have pointie canine teeth thay called me sharkboy at my last school and the spirate animal test said i was playful like a wolf would be
You are coming to the lycanthropy virus happy animal shelter secret research facility with me, Mister doggy!
lol for awhile i was into werewolf movies ..... and im not joking about the dog whistle its a sound that gies DEEP IN MY EAR but the worst part is i cant exactly tell where it comes from i bet thats how my dog feels :|
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:Guys. Topic. I already said let's get off of that.
Sleet is yelling at Argent because Sleet is jealous of Argent being better furry!

Argent

Post by Argent »

I can't stand most werewolf literature and media because they act nothing like wolves.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I never liked the stereotypical monster archetype of a werewolf that's just a hairy savage human. I like when they're more lupine.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Worth reading: Lisa Kane by Richard Lupoff now available on Kindle.

Though Werewolves of London is one of the best songs ever.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's
And his hair was perfect
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Sleet wrote:I never liked the stereotypical monster archetype of a werewolf that's just a hairy savage human. I like when they're more lupine.
Like the one Animaniacs-Minerva Mink short where the nerd turned into a hunky wolf by the light of the full moon? :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I gotta get myself into reading literature again soon, but what I always liked about werewolves was the idea that humans can have the choice of becoming sentinent and feral whenever they choose. I like listing as many neat quirks that come with that kind of ability.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

The stereotypes of some animals annoy me, people assume feral canines are violent, but that's what dogs were bred for. Most wild canines are shy and scared of people, and only attack the weak, lame, or a healthy creature if they out number it sufficiently. I can't list how many foxes, and even a few wolves, I have been up close o without ever being attacked.
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Argent wrote:I can't stand most werewolf literature and media because they act nothing like wolves.
Knowledge about wolf behavior has always been limited, since people tends to have bigger problems to worry about than finding out how untamed, unexploitable animals act. Besides, superstitions are born of ignorance, that's how folk legends are born! : D
Sleet wrote:I never liked the stereotypical monster archetype of a werewolf that's just a hairy savage human. I like when they're more lupine.
Who am I kidding?! Same here!
GameCobra wrote:I gotta get myself into reading literature again soon, but what I always liked about werewolves was the idea that humans can have the choice of becoming sentinent and feral whenever they choose. I like listing as many neat quirks that come with that kind of ability.
Most legends tell that werewolves are either demonically acursed people who get involuntarily turned into man-eating beasts under the full moon, or sorcerers who gave their souls to the devil and have the ability to, among other things, turn into wolves by stripping themselves of all clothing, save for a diabolical belt, ring, or something like that, which grants them that power.

I've read about there been some more benign werewolf versions in classic folklore, but they usually keep with the story of people turning into wolves by getting naked and not being able to shift back into humans if they lose their clothes.

Radio Blue Heart

I guess you mean the old Lon Chaney look and all the knock offs that followed. They threatened to turn werewolves into a cliche.

Probably the film that really revolutionized werewolf movies was "The Howling". It featured the first real anthropomorphic werewolves ever in cinema. They walked upright on digitigrade legs, had muzzles and hands. Rob Bottin who designed them even tried to make their body shape like a canine by giving them really thin waists. Sort of how a dog looks when standing on its hind legs.

These werewolves could transform at will and enjoyed being werewolves. Unfortunately, they choose to be hostile toward humans. But in the film "The Howling III: The Marsupials", they are simple a part of the natural world and try to avoid humans for survival reasons. Since it was produced and set in Australia, it features were-Thylacines!

If you want to judge werewolf movies on how cool the werewolf looks, then check these out:
The Howling
Bad Moon
Cabin in the Woods
Project Metalbeast
Werewolf: The Beast Among Us
Dog Soldiers
Van Helsing
Underworld Evolution
Ginger Snaps
Trick 'r Treat

and of course the television series "Werewolf".

If you want an excellent werwolf novel, then read "The Sticks" by Andy Deane.

I kind of got off on a rant there. But for me, the best kind of a werewolf is an anthropomorphic type. Whether portrayed as a hero or villain, they always look cool.
-Virgil
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

I don't mind werewolves as an idea but I haven't really wanted to get into the mythos so much. Mostly because I'm pretty much with Sleet and Silly Zealot, I don't like the common portrayal of werewolves in general media as nothing more than a man who grows his hair out once a month and somehow gains superhuman strength from it, using these ethereally bestowed abilities for the noble profession of scaring and killing people who would have the sheer gall to take a vacation out in the woods where no-one can hear them scream.

...Do normal wolves even live in woods?

But if you say those are some good werewolf movies, Radio, then I'd happily give them a gander. I have seen Van Helsing and as far as I can remember (it's been a while) I did very much like the werewolves in that.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm pretty sure real wolves live in the woods, yeah. Among other places.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

There are wolves in the woods around here.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I know big bad wolves live in the woods
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Sleet wrote:I'm pretty sure real wolves live in the woods, yeah. Among other places.
Yeah I always pictured them in various places before realising that the common stereotype is for a wolf to be in the woods. Wasn't sure if it was a false stereotype or not. *shrug*
Dissension wrote:There are wolves in the woods around here.
That would be really cool and a teeny bit scary if wolves lived near my house. But that's okay, we've got kangaroos in our backyards over here apparently.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I know big bad wolves live in the woods
Yeah but as long as there's a woodsman or two in each wood and no little grannies with granddaughters who can be defined by their attire, they shouldn't be a problem.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Azsassin

Post by Azsassin »

I'm a furry, Doberman.

Dobermens are: Alert, Obedient, Loyal, Energetic, Fearless, Intelligent... Not too diffrent from a german shepherd.
Never join something you can't quit. Join something you will stay in.
~Kevin Fan~
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Except German Shepard's are also part wolf. :lol:
Radio Blue Heart

Nyaliva wrote:I don't mind werewolves as an idea but I haven't really wanted to get into the mythos so much. Mostly because I'm pretty much with Sleet and Silly Zealot, I don't like the common portrayal of werewolves in general media as nothing more than a man who grows his hair out once a month and somehow gains superhuman strength from it, using these ethereally bestowed abilities for the noble profession of scaring and killing people who would have the sheer gall to take a vacation out in the woods where no-one can hear them scream.

But if you say those are some good werewolf movies, Radio, then I'd happily give them a gander. I have seen Van Helsing and as far as I can remember (it's been a while) I did very much like the werewolves in that.
Most of them are good, some are fantastic! If you have the opportunity, see "Dog Soldiers", "The Howling" and "Ginger Snaps" first. They are by far the best.

And like I said, as an Aussie, you might want to see "The Howling III: The Marsupials". It is bad! But, you might like the idea of the were-thylacines.

There are huge amount of songs about werewolves. There are even bands that specialize in them. Particularly the bands PowerWolf and GrimWolf.
-Virgil
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:It featured the first real anthropomorphic werewolves ever in cinema.

for me, the best kind of a werewolf is an anthropomorphic type.
All werewolves are anthropomorphic, save for the ones that turn all the way into wolves. A better way to say is that you prefer werewolves that actually look wolf-like.

I think my favourite werewolf movie would be "Teen Wolf". You know? The one where Martin McFly can transform into an orangutan at will? Great film!
Radio Blue Heart wrote:And like I said, as an Aussie, you might want to see "The Howling III: The Marsupials". It is bad! But, you might like the idea of the were-thylacines.

There are huge amount of songs about werewolves. There are even bands that specialize in them. Particularly the bands PowerWolf and GrimWolf.
Were-thylacines?! Tere-whylacines! Why-tereacines! Acine-whyteres! Res-acinewhy! *Super happy face!*

As for werewolves songs, I'd recommend "Cruel, Cruel Moon" by Paul and Storm!

Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Nyaliva wrote:I don't mind werewolves as an idea but I haven't really wanted to get into the mythos so much. Mostly because I'm pretty much with Sleet and Silly Zealot, I don't like the common portrayal of werewolves in general media as nothing more than a man who grows his hair out once a month and somehow gains superhuman strength from it, using these ethereally bestowed abilities for the noble profession of scaring and killing people who would have the sheer gall to take a vacation out in the woods where no-one can hear them scream.

Most of them are good, some are fantastic! If you have the opportunity, see "Dog Soldiers", "The Howling" and "Ginger Snaps" first. They are by far the best.

And like I said, as an Aussie, you might want to see "The Howling III: The Marsupials". It is bad! But, you might like the idea of the were-thylacines.

I've seen some pictures of thylacines that are terrifying enough without being part human and killing people for the sake of cinema. :P

By a terrifying coincidence, Van Helsing was on TV last night and I got another look at the werewolves in it. I like the way the Dracula-Frankenstein-Werewolf mythos is written in the movie and yeah, the werewolves are really well done - very wolf-like - although still suffering from super-duper-power-up syndrome...unless wolves can jump from tree to tree on a whim.

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Radio Blue Heart

Well, they are super human. I especially liked the final werewolf in that film. When someone says "werewolf", that is what I think of.

And now that I have Sleet's approval, here is a page from the "Alpha Luna" comic.

Here, Luna's adopted mom explains the history of the werewolves. And in this comic, werewolves are a completely separate species from humans and they can take on four different forms at will.
-Virgil
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Except German Shepard's are also part wolf. :lol:
They... they are? :shock:
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Firenze

Post by Firenze »

Woof... you guys seem to be having quite the hearty discussion up there. Lovin' the wolves/werewolves topic though, haha. :lol:

But I'll just say what I need to say and skeedaddle on out before I become another werewolf victim. Yup, I'm indeed a furry... or that's what I think of myself am. I prefer anthropomorphs over humans, but I'm more into the toony style rather than the more serious looks. Some of my friends even play around with me with doggy jokes, but I don't seem to mind since they're friendly about it; it's actually heartwarming to know that I'm accepted the way I am... plus it's hilarious. :D It would be pretty awesome to have a friend in real life who's also a furry, but I'm happy with the friends and family that I have now.
"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice."
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Neat :3

And with the whole wolf discussion, we all know who is the winner of the whole thing.

Wolverines, because we are amazing!
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Having real-life furry friends can be fun, though from my experience a lot of furries are pretty socially inept. :P
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

We don't tend to make as much noise as most social groups out there though. Not sure if its just statistically more frequent or just chance. :lol:
From what I have seen we do pretty well socially.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:Having real-life furry friends can be fun, though from my experience a lot of furries are pretty socially inept. :P
You rang?