2013/08/26 - Private Space

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Karl

Re: 2013/08/26 - Private Space

Post by Karl »

valerio wrote:
Dissension wrote:I dunno, I tend to think Pete's pretty lovely. *giggles*
Also, I believe his room will be awesome!
His mom will be awesome!
I'm a bookworm!
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

First, the relationship between Q and Trelane has been long debated in the Trek fandom. I always thought of Q as an older/aged version of Trelane, but I don't claim to be right.

Next, Princesses & Unicorns? Ohmigosh, Rick's a brony?! (Welcome to the club...) Just please don't start putting them in the HP world... Universe visiting would be ok, but only if the visitor had a look of "what the blank is that thing" on his/her face(s).

Lastly, did anyone else notice the two expressions on Max's face in panel 6? Use your thumb and cover the left side of his face, then move your thumb to the right side. Reminds me of another comic book character.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Felphor

Post by Felphor »

Leomon2004 wrote:
GarrisonSkunk wrote:
Felphor wrote:is it wrong to think that miss dragon looks cute? like hot cute?
Not at all. In fact maybe she would have had more luck presenting herself as girlfriend material had she used this more relatable form to get to know Peanut (and to let him get to know her) instead of hiding behind Tarot.

Of course, this room and her appearance could also have been created simply to get sympathy from the one who dared yell at her.
Don't you mean hiding IN Tarot?
Welp, as long as it's normal...
Yeah, I Like Pokemon!
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

anthro Dragon is the best character

hnnnnnngh
ImageImage
ImageImage
Gren

Post by Gren »

Well, that was disappointing. Every time I expect something big nothing happened. Seems like a trend lately. What makes it worse is that this includes two of my favorites characters (Peanut and Max) who seems their solely purpose in the comic is to have dates with their girlfriends. ¬¬
tenta wrote:
Kitch wrote:Wasted opportunities all over the place.
Which ones? I saw a lot of opportunities in this arc so far. :P
Agree with both.
Vuk91 wrote:Time to take bets! My bet is to Tarot and Peanut will also break up soon, because Tarot was with Peanut because of Spirit Dragon!
Yeah, I thought the same at first but since this was the perfect occasion and has not happened it seems they'll be together for a long time I think. Besides it seems it doesn't matter how their relationship has started, Tarot loves him now. The same could be said about Grape. She began to date with Max because she felt insecure about what she talked with the barn cats and by the fact that neither Peanut nor Max (and the whole neighborhood) recognized she was a female.
EvanAierkan wrote:Dragon you crazy, pull yourself together. Someone talk some sense to her so PeanutxDragon can happen.
It's funny you say that with a Grapenut banner as your signature. :lol:
ImageImage
Karl

Post by Karl »

TheOne wrote:Princesses & Unicorns? Ohmigosh, Rick's a brony?!
More like unicorny.
I'm a bookworm!
tenta

Post by tenta »

EvanAierkan wrote:Dragon you crazy, pull yourself together. Someone talk some sense to her so PeanutxDragon can happen.
Dragonut?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

And then Dragon starts chasing both Peanut and Max, forcing Grape and Tarot to combine their powers to become ~ Garoe: The Purple Mage.
Gren wrote:Well, that was disappointing. Every time I expect something big nothing happened. Seems like a trend lately. What makes it worse is that this includes two of my favorites characters (Peanut and Max) who seems their solely purpose in the comic is to have dates with their girlfriends. ¬¬
I'm pretty sure the moment Tarot called it a double date, that was the given that this arc was going to be about. =P

If you mean character-development-wise ~ some sort of shocking twist in this arc for Peanut and Max, I was more shocked to get more coverage about Max than Peanut, who I was honestly expecting more development than everyone else alongside Tarot.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Xane wrote:"So why did it look like..."
"Your mind can't comprehend what it's seeing and compens..."
"She's making that up. Her room really is that messy."
Hahaha. How do you even come up with those phrases so fast, Xane?
Gren wrote:Well, that was disappointing. Every time I expect something big nothing happened. Seems like a trend lately. What makes it worse is that this includes two of my favorites characters (Peanut and Max) who seems their solely purpose in the comic is to have dates with their girlfriends. ¬¬
That, and acting goofishly. That's why I love the cosmic arcs so much: This webcomic would be all about animal characters doing the same children jokes over and over without them.
Felphor wrote:Don't you mean hiding IN Tarot?
Welp, as long as it's normal...[/quote]
There is nothing normal about a dragon being inside a pomeranian.
TheOne wrote:Next, Princesses & Unicorns? Ohmigosh, Rick's a brony?! (Welcome to the club...)
I doubt it. Princesses and unicorns are teenage girl stereotypes, same goes with crying in a pillow, love poems, posters of guys they are in love with, necklaces, wearing jeans and armless shirts, etc.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

well should have saw that coming so is everyone just going to forget about all this
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

She's even cuter in anthro form!
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

i think rick should draw more dragon artwork :D
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Felphor

Post by Felphor »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Felphor wrote:Welp, as long as it's normal...
There is nothing normal about a dragon being inside a pomeranian.
Well im crazy, so my "normal" isnt exactly sane or understandable for that matter.

that, and when i said "as long as its normal", i was referring to thinking dragon is attractive.
what can i say? im only furry. :D
Yeah, I Like Pokemon!
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Silly Zealot wrote:
TheOne wrote:Princesses & Unicorns? Ohmigosh, Rick's a brony?! (Welcome to the club...)
I doubt it. Princesses and unicorns are teenage girl stereotypes, same goes with crying in a pillow, love poems, posters of guys they are in love with, necklaces, wearing jeans and armless shirts, etc.
Sorry, just trying to make a bad joke and it kinda backfired. (Yes, that's me in the video.)

Dragon + Peanut shipnames?

Peon
Agut
Dean
(It's all a) Drean? I think I like that one...
tenta

Post by tenta »

TheOne wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:
TheOne wrote:Princesses & Unicorns? Ohmigosh, Rick's a brony?! (Welcome to the club...)
Sorry, just trying to make a bad joke and it kinda backfired. (Yes, that's me in the video.)

Dragon + Peanut shipnames?

Peon
Agut
Dean
(It's all a) Drean? I think I like that one...
Dragonut.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gotta be "Dragnut". Just the facts.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Why does shipping have such weird names? Gard, I want to just call them "Peanut Dragon". Such a cool name.
Silly Zealot wrote:That, and acting goofishly. That's why I love the cosmic arcs so much: This webcomic would be all about animal characters doing the same children jokes over and over without them.
Maybe if you put in a request for Rick to make an arc about it, you'll get your wish.

"The Awesomeness of being a dog/cat/pet." <3
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Dang it, Dragon. Why'd you have to pull the whole wake-up-you-dunce-it's-a-dream trick.

Also man, they really ARE like teenagers. And yes, Dragon does look cuter in her anthro form.
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

GameCobra wrote:Why does shipping have such weird names? Gard, I want to just call them "Peanut Dragon". Such a cool name.
Part of the fun of shipping is not only getting things to their destination... oops, not that kind of shipping... is finding ways to combine letters of both names (i.e
Peanut and Dragon or Dragon and Peanut.) In ways that are cool, funny, and preferably pronouncable. See?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

TheOne wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Why does shipping have such weird names? Gard, I want to just call them "Peanut Dragon". Such a cool name.
Part of the fun of shipping is not only getting things to their destination... oops, not that kind of shipping... is finding ways to combine letters of both names (i.e
Peanut and Dragon or Dragon and Peanut.) In ways that are cool, funny, and preferably pronouncable. See?
Yes,Yes... but who can argue about a Peanut Dragon?
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

GameCobra wrote:
I wrote:
Yes,Yes... but who can argue about a Peanut Dragon?
A lot of it has to do with originality, and writing two normal words normally isn't really original.

Now what I did:
Dr from Dragon + ean from Peanut = Drean. Also, Pe from Peanut + on from Dragon = Peon.
Johnnaman
Location: In your backyard tree...looking at you right now...

Post by Johnnaman »

Is there such a thing as a Dragon Berry Sandwich?
G'aunt_The_Overlord
Location: Arlandia, Vorru, Kanakra, Serus Galaxy, Dimension 7

Post by G'aunt_The_Overlord »

So apparently when ever a supernatural being says "wake up", not even it that context, they wake up like it was all a dream? *sigh* It was all a dream.

So Spirit dragon really is a teenager! :o
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Dragon has a nice Dice collection... she must be a serious U&U gamer! :shock:

She has many hearts. Too many for a normal girl... Also, WHY ARE NONE OF YOUR HEARTS TORN IN HALF DRAGON!? That would be perfect...

Dragon also has a serious junk food habit she needs to take care of.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
G'aunt_The_Overlord
Location: Arlandia, Vorru, Kanakra, Serus Galaxy, Dimension 7

Post by G'aunt_The_Overlord »

A lot of it has to do with originality, and writing two normal words normally isn't really original.

Now what I did:
Dr from Dragon + ean from Peanut = Drean. Also, Pe from Peanut + on from Dragon = Peon.
But Peon just sounds slightly dirty...

I think Max Should have given Dragon some hugs... She needs more hugs!
JohnRichardEllis

Post by JohnRichardEllis »

Nohbody wrote:
Leomon2004 wrote:
Perfesser_Bear wrote:Actually, Pete reminds me a little of the character 'Trelane' in the Original Star Trek series episode, The Squire of Gothos,.
I think he's more like Q. They're both "All Powerful" beings than tend to tick off everybody they come in contact with.
The novelization of the TNG finale connects the two.

Trelane is DeLancie-Q's illegitimate child, IIRC.

Not quite. That was from Peter David's original novel Q-Squared which came out around the same time TNG finale and the film Generations did.

Like most of the novels not actually adaptations of the episodes or films, its canonicity is left to the reader to decide.
Duster

Post by Duster »

copper wrote:Dragon also has a serious junk food habit she needs to take care of.
Did anyone else notice the "Nectar" soda bottle on the floor of her room? (Nectar of the gods)
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

TheOne wrote:
And yet...no one gets behind GraPete.....
Argent wrote:Gotta be "Dragnut". Just the facts.
http://www.televisiontunes.com/Dragnet_2.html

Argent is Stan Frieberg?
Duster wrote: Did anyone else notice the "Nectar" soda bottle on the floor of her room? (Nectar of the gods)
Yep, I did.

Too bad it didn't end with this twist on the formula...

Dragon: "....it's sorta like waking up..."
Max: "That's an odd way to sa--"
Close-up on Max's face as it is in the final panel.
Then we pull back as he blinks, realizing he is still in Dragon's room, lying on the bed behind her.
Dragon: "Sorry....force of habit."
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

GameCobra wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:That, and acting goofishly. That's why I love the cosmic arcs so much: This webcomic would be all about animal characters doing the same children jokes over and over without them.
Maybe if you put in a request for Rick to make an arc about it, you'll get your wish.

"The Awesomeness of being a dog/cat/pet." <3
What wish? A story arc about the cosmic stuff? I think that's what we are looking at at this very moment.

What I meant to say is that I LOVE the cosmic arcs because there is drama, conflict, and, to say out loud once and for all, stuff actually happens!
Otherwise, it'd be just cartoon antics every day and every night. Most of you like that, but I at my age it kind of gets dull, I like stories with lasting meaning, with suspense, with serious looking adventure, with elements that make you think something big is about to throw down.
copper wrote:She has many hearts. Too many for a normal girl... Also, WHY ARE NONE OF YOUR HEARTS TORN IN HALF DRAGON!? That would be perfect...

Dragon also has a serious junk food habit she needs to take care of.
Tearing the hearts apart? Why didn't I think of saying that?

If the dragon eats and drinks, and Pete can get thirsty, Does that mean they need sustenance? And if they need sustenance, Does that mean they can die if they don't get it?
JohnRichardEllis wrote:Like most of the novels not actually adaptations of the episodes or films, its canonicity is left to the reader to decide.
I HATE that "leave it up to the audience" stuff. Sometimes, it works, but most of the time, it makes it look like the author/s don't want to compromise on a desicion about the plot.
GarrisonSkunk wrote:
Duster wrote: Did anyone else notice the "Nectar" soda bottle on the floor of her room? (Nectar of the gods)
Yep, I did.
Argent di ask if that bottle had ambrosia, so you two are not the only ones who noticed.
GarrisonSkunk wrote:Dragon: "....it's sorta like waking up..."
Then we pull back as he blinks, realizing he is still in Dragon's room, lying on the bed behind her.
Haha! That's amusing, and it could be the actual ending!
Or:
Maxwell wakes up in Frodo Baggins' bed.
Frodo Baggins: Sorry, force of HOBBIT!

I totally stole that joke. (Stealing is bad, kids.)
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

silly Zealot wrote:What wish? A story arc about the cosmic stuff? I think that's what we are looking at at this very moment.

What I meant to say is that I LOVE the cosmic arcs because there is drama, conflict, and, to say out loud once and for all, stuff actually happens!
Otherwise, it'd be just cartoon antics every day and every night. Most of you like that, but I at my age it kind of gets dull, I like stories with lasting meaning, with suspense, with serious looking adventure, with elements that make you think something big is about to throw down.
That wish where we get some cosmic action, of course!

The truth is though, I do want that in the comic as well. However, after all the King and Bailey we been getting, I could use the romantic stuff we been getting lately and this arc has already been beautiful the way it's been already. If it ever comes down to it, though, I would like to see the more serious plot progression stuff after we see some of the other character development we been getting lately only to be thrust back into the plot later on.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

tenta wrote:
Kitch wrote:Wasted opportunities all over the place.
Which ones? I saw a lot of opportunities in this arc so far. :P
Agree with both.
Really, I don't think this arc has been disappointing at all. I love that it finally gave Tarot actual screen time and development because she badly needed it; Dragon got a bit as well (even if it doesn't change how I feel about the Nerds that much really) I really don't get how you get that out of Max and Peanut in the comic as a whole (unless your just talking about this arc, even then I think your wrong). Tarot really is just nothing more than "the girlfriend", Peanut and Tarots relationship (and Tarot as a character) has barely been touched on for any length of time until this arc.

My only real problem with this arc would be if we don't get any explanation for what/who exactly Max was ranting about. Which its extremely likely we won't for quite some time.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

I just noticed that Max's ear changed... The bitemark was used to have three roundings (in my memories), now there are only two left. While searching in the archive I found this was the last strip with the old ear and that there where in fact four roundings.
Will we ever find out what happend to his ear? And what happend to his ear?
_______________ I know, new design ;)

GameCobra wrote:And then Dragon starts chasing both Peanut and Max, forcing Grape and Tarot to combine their powers to become ~ Garoe: The Purple Mage.
Was really laughing.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Nohbody

Post by Nohbody »

JohnRichardEllis wrote:
Nohbody wrote: The novelization of the TNG finale connects [Trelane and Q].

Trelane is DeLancie-Q's illegitimate child, IIRC.
Not quite. That was from Peter David's original novel Q-Squared which came out around the same time TNG finale and the film Generations did.

Like most of the novels not actually adaptations of the episodes or films, its canonicity is left to the reader to decide.
Quelle surprise, I misremembered... :P

It was like 20 years ago, give me a break.
Panther

Post by Panther »

Dragon is so cute ; but how painful she's surely now :cry:

Never break a dragon's heart :cry: :cry:
Nightfirex

Post by Nightfirex »

As we near the end of this arc, I have to say I did quite the enjoy this comic and I loved the anthro dragon, I would hug and snuggled her all day and I be her avatar/hero for this game. But moving on, I think i need to stop predicting cause I am getting on point most of the time with these theory that I'll turn into another tarot. What point you may ask, the fact that despite she is a teenager she give the meaning I hinted at earlier that for immortals to understand mortals day to day, sometimes they have to take that mortal form and feel what we feel. One of the key things I like about the room was the focus on emotion of Love. she was very attune with it, in fact she believe it the eternal answer. Based on several religious reading (for example 1 Corinthians 13:4-8), is it the binding tie, and the most powerful even as far ceasing prophecies. So when the love is broken, the pain she felt was something she wasn't prepare for.

Granted she went about it wrong but what we gathered she didn't' fully understand what love entailed, what it really mean. Love is a two way street, and both side have to know and love each other for it to work. So Max outburst was a sense a wake up call. And those emotion she felt did act out, the scribbling on the wall and poster, the tearing down of the one she thought she really love. Even though the comic felt disconnected near the end, something key was pass in happenstance and that the truth of why mortal feel Immortal/Higher beings are detached from them, and why Immortal /Higher beings understand mortal. She woke up. She now understand the mortal struggles, especially with the key emotion what mortal deal with love and heartbreak. This is an example of one of the many stories too in most mythos readings that give mortals a connection to the immortal.

A. Immortal comes down take mortal form.
B. Immortal struggles with mortal plight, and see our hopes, dreams, fears.
C. Immortal understand mortal(s) and sometime sacrifice for mortal(s) happiness.
D. Mortal(s) now love the Higher being and now have connection to that Higher being, cause they now 'understand' them.

This is a very powerful arc, and it changes the perception of the character, giving the immortal form and substance. I will be disappointed if she doesn't learn from this and turn into Pete who we saw did love someone and lost it, so he detach himself from mortals and use them as puppets for his game. I would also be disappointed if things just go back to normal as it shouldn't at this point. Yes it was hinted they are young, quite young, but young gods do learn and change. even in a game one the view and ideas that we build our foundation on is how we treat others. We also know they can change avatars and if the avatar is willing, the training process will go quickly. My hope is she doesn't give up on love and find an avatar as well as a hero that will love her back making that bond a lot more powerful then anything she had before.

Though I foresee that at the moment to save herself from more heartache she would detach herself from Tarot so her and Peanut can he happy. If she goes back like nothing is wrong it would make the thing awkward for one, and second detached giving an odd feel to the comic arc as a whole. I also don't think Max miss an opportunity either, I just think he doesn't know what he wants yet. It obvious he fallen in love with Grape, but he want to be good enough for her, for others. I think if he figure it out after what was said to him he may find the strength to help the ones he care about.The opportunity is still there. What I predict is this will all lead to is Dragon looking for a new avatar, Pete maybe finding out and preying on the opportunity and King making a tough choice, for he too found love. Love that love him back, and he know he will lose it when the game is over unless he win. He knows that he will have to sacrifice his humanity for love, but that mean joining Pete to keep that, unless he see the other path that is open to him, but seeing king's personality unless some great transformation happen in a future arc, he will go down the obvious path and Dragon will out powered so that king can have his happy ending.

Loving the arc and new design btw.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

@NightFirex: I'm sure Dragon will learn something from it, but whether it will be more mature or childish depends on her views or the comic. Comically, I would picture her being the type that will still act like a crush towards Peanut, but do the same thing to Maxwell at this point as well. Maturely, she might instead start thinking about supporting Peanut and even Max up to this point. (I always thought of her as the god-like shipper =3)

If Dragon does end up looking for a new avatar, which I still have doubts about, chances are we'll be exploring this change in the future similar to how we get quite a bit of exposition on Pete.
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Karlos wrote:
TheOne wrote:Princesses & Unicorns? Ohmigosh, Rick's a brony?!
More like unicorny.
Horse-with-a singular antler-y.
Feel my icy wrath!
JohnRichardEllis

Post by JohnRichardEllis »

I'm sort of reminded of that issue of Sandman where Orpheus enters Death's realm and is completely baffled and nonplussed by it being a rather ordinary late 20th century apartment. (Only slightly able to relax when his aunt spruces things up with a more mythic Greek look.)
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

Silly Zealot wrote:
GarrisonSkunk wrote:Dragon: "....it's sorta like waking up..."
Haha! That's amusing, and it could be the actual ending!
Or:
Maxwell wakes up in Frodo Baggins' bed.
Frodo Baggins: Sorry, force of HOBBIT!
Oy! Somewhere up in Publisher Heaven, Bennett Cerf is smiling. (Although I'm not sure he'd know what a Hobbit was.)
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

You know I just thought of something. It seems Max disappeared from the group while he was talking. What if Grape got the part where he said how does a god feel pain but never the part where he said he doesn't think he's not good enough? Oh man would that suck!