Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

angelusbr

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by angelusbr »

Tiggy wrote:This is sort of useless information but, dota 2 is officially released and out of beta! It's listed in the steam store now too, f2p! No pesky invites needed~
Is it pay to win?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Nope! Only thing you can buy in the shop are cosmetic items!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I heard somewhere you can get hats or something if you watch the DOTA 2 tourney streams as well. :P
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Tiggy wrote:Nope! Only thing you can buy in the shop are cosmetic items!
cool. I've never played DOTA before. Maybe I'll give it a shot then.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

You could try out LoL first. LoL is more nooby friendly, in terms of gameplay at least. Perhaps Tobee should tell me how true that statement is though, since i'm only quoting what I've heard of videos.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Eh, both are fairly simple to learn, league might be a bit easier sure but they're both very fun to play! And, dota 2 has a training/bootcamp thing where you practice vs the ai in a few missions valve made, sort of.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Tiggy wrote:Eh, both are fairly simple to learn, league might be a bit easier sure but they're both very fun to play! And, dota 2 has a training/bootcamp thing where you practice vs the ai in a few missions valve made, sort of.
That would be nice for learning. Too bad there's a waiting list to play DOTA 2
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I'd say DotA is easier, at least from what I heard from my brother. He's been trying to get me to play it, but I resisted, since it seems like it's a very addicting game, and the last thing I need is slaving my life away into another game xD

Funnily enough, DotA is somewhat considered one of the most popular games around these parts, to the extent that some of the best players and teams in the world are from Malaysia and her neighbouring countries. I can pretty much say out of 10 male college student gamers here, 8 of them would be playing DotA.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

44R0NM10 wrote:You could try out LoL first. LoL is more nooby friendly, in terms of gameplay at least. Perhaps Tobee should tell me how true that statement is though, since i'm only quoting what I've heard of videos.
I must agree, DOTA 2 is very deep, and it is deeper then LoL, there is just more stuff you need to keep track of, and a more competitive community then LoL's community. I couldn't get into it, but it's not awful if you like that sort of game. However, if you know the worse of the LoL community, it is worse in DOTA, just a warning here.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I am quite offended that none of you made a post composed of a single, all-caps compound word:

DEADPOOL!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:
44R0NM10 wrote:You could try out LoL first. LoL is more nooby friendly, in terms of gameplay at least. Perhaps Tobee should tell me how true that statement is though, since i'm only quoting what I've heard of videos.
I must agree, DOTA 2 is very deep, and it is deeper then LoL, there is just more stuff you need to keep track of, and a more competitive community then LoL's community. I couldn't get into it, but it's not awful if you like that sort of game. However, if you know the worse of the LoL community, it is worse in DOTA, just a warning here.
Honestly, both communities are equally bad.
The Grey Wolverine

Silly Zealot wrote:I am quite offended that none of you made a post composed of a single, all-caps compound word:

DEADPOOL!
It's a mediocre DMC clone with meh combat, short length, repetitive combat, and a crap ending. It is however, HILARIOUS to no end! But not worth buying, I say rent it.
Tiggy wrote:Honestly, both communities are equally bad.
Agreed
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Well, steam sales has begun and I already did two mistakes on it:
1)I bought Dragon age origin without realizing that there was an extended version called dragon age origin awakening for the same price.
2)This second mistake made me send a ticket to steam: Some days ago I bought Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed and I liked it. But today i saw the Sonic Hits Collection and I bought it as well. Now I should have two Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed games. This weekend I intend to have a cousin of mine to join steam and I wanted to gift him my extra copy.
I would like to know why the game isn't in my inventory to gift another person since I bought it twice.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

angelusbr wrote:Well, steam sales has begun and I already did two mistakes on it:
1)I bought Dragon age origin without realizing that there was an extended version called dragon age origin awakening for the same price.
Awakening is the game's expansion, it needs the original base game to already be installed.
HOWEVER, you should, instead, purchase the Ultimate Edition, which has the base game, ALL the DLCs, and the Awakening expansion included, plus several promotional items.

I'll give you two warnings, though: That game contains adult issues and content (which makes it all the more heart-touching when you see the struggles of the characters, be they the main ones, or otherwise! :) ), so you should really prepare and keep yourself together when you see a broodmother for the first time (And/or find out where they come from. :? )!

Also, while I only played the demo of Dragon Age 2, the game looks more like an interlude than a sequel, given it's relative straightforwardness. The combat is way better than in the first game, though! :D
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I thought that awakening was the same game WITH the expansion. I...need to pay more atention....
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

I hope you did not already purchase it ll separately, that'd be a bother.

But let me tell you, that game is really going to leave you with some moral and logical dillemmas that'll make get hooked with for a really good while!

And the credit songs! I don't know how you are going to feel once you hear it after going through with the game, but for me, those songs were reason enough for finishing the game!

There are two things I don't like about the setting, though:
1) The story takes place in a setting with an already long history. For example, the final antagonist of the base game (not from the expansion, and perhaps not even the main antagonist either.) is the fourth corrupted god that is tormenting the populace, the previous three are revealed to have been slain through backround lore. The game gives the feeling that, instead of participating in the great beginning of a tale of unprecedented proportions, you have merely stumbled upon a story that has already started long before you even came to know about it.
2) Dragon Age mages are Harry Potter-like: They are born, not made.
In Harry Potter, which took place on Earth, this made sense: If any Average Joe had magical potential, magic would be mainstream, the idea of magical affinity being solely hereditary justified why magic was considered fictional by muggles.
It works on Harry Potter, But in an original fantasy world where everything is possible? It just doens't have the same effect.

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm told Terrarira is getting a new update late this month! I'm super-stoked. I love playing Terraria, and getting a new server with my friends is gonna be fun. Terraria server version 3: Rainbow Rumpus Rehab Town is a go! :D
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I'm playing Magicka now and it's really fun. But i find walking a bit annoying (I need to hold the left button of the mouse on the area my character should go) and aiming is also a bit hard because of the same thing.
The Grey Wolverine

So, I got Hotline Miami, I love it, it's fast paced, deadly, maybe a bit too much gore for some, but I recommend t for fast paced action, one hit ya dead son

Also, it might cause motion sickness to some people with the way the screen moves as you walk, shoot, whatever, it moves, and the music can get annoying, because it is all 80s synth tracks, it's a little unnerving, and a crazy game about a madman.
Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

angelusbr wrote:I'm playing Magicka now and it's really fun. But i find walking a bit annoying (I need to hold the left button of the mouse on the area my character should go) and aiming is also a bit hard because of the same thing.
I'll agree with that, it's not the easiest thing to get used to, but you will get used to it eventually. ^^ I remember I bought magicka back when it first released on Steam, but I never finished the game because all my friends that I would always play with would always start a killing spree and just start killing each other. Was fun SOMETIMES, but now when you are trying to finish the darn game. >.> lol
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Okay, watching my older sister play The Last of Us, it scares me to think that, if the deadly fungus infection was real, some of us might not survive the outbreak(I know it's just a game and I'm probably just being a worry-wort, but still pretty scary when you think about it).
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

You are now also an infected from left 4 dead, a very demeaning and unpleasant situation isn't it?
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

Man, with the Steam Summer Sale on just now, I have a feeling my wallet's going to be empty by the end of the month at this rate. :/
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:It's a mediocre DMC clone with meh combat, short length, repetitive combat, and a crap ending. It is however, HILARIOUS to no end! But not worth buying, I say rent it.
These days, renting games seems to be obsolete :(

But yes, I love what I saw about the game and I want to play it bad, but don't want to buy it.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

GameCobra wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:It's a mediocre DMC clone with meh combat, short length, repetitive combat, and a crap ending. It is however, HILARIOUS to no end! But not worth buying, I say rent it.
These days, renting games seems to be obsolete :(
Stores like GameStop didn't like it. They much prefer people to buy and then sell back to them the games they don't want to play for long.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

If the Steam sales will help (and if you didn't do it already), buy Bioshock Infinite.

Make yourself a favor, don't lose one of the best plots of the entire gen.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Can I tell you all something

http://youtu.be/XkUIRi6VCOQ

This game alone is the reason why I'm glad I bought a Wii U.

I am so hyped for this game. No, I am hype. HYPE IS MY CONCENTRATED ESSENCE RIGHT NOW.
*cough*
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

_Stu_ wrote:If the Steam sales will help (and if you didn't do it already), buy Bioshock Infinite.

The reason why I don't buy it is because I'm not that into shooters. I played COD at a cousin's house before. It was kinda fun, but it didn't get me love the gameplay.
I did the mistake of buying Alan Wake because people praised the story so much, but I simply can't have fun with the gameplay enough to make me continue playing.
Lifio13

Post by Lifio13 »

Stuff. wrote:Can I tell you all something

I am so hyped for this game. No, I am hype. HYPE IS MY CONCENTRATED ESSENCE RIGHT NOW.
I need a Wii U for this, but my 3DS will have to do for now. I am so hyped for Sonic Lost World it's insane.
Avatar by the very talented Laxan!

~Rusty Reid -Yorkshire Terrier-RA
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

angelusbr wrote:
_Stu_ wrote:If the Steam sales will help (and if you didn't do it already), buy Bioshock Infinite.

The reason why I don't buy it is because I'm not that into shooters. I played COD at a cousin's house before. It was kinda fun, but it didn't get me love the gameplay.
I did the mistake of buying Alan Wake because people praised the story so much, but I simply can't have fun with the gameplay enough to make me continue playing.
This is different. I usually don't like shooters too. But Columbia, the rhythm of the story, the relationship between the two main characters (way superior to the one in The Last of Us)... the ending. God, the ending. Probably the best of this gen. Surely better than the MGS4, imo.

Infinite should be lived as an experience. A trip through Ken Levine's convulsed mind. This is one of the few shooters I've finished together with Half Life 1/2.
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

TinFoilHats wrote:Okay, watching my older sister play The Last of Us, it scares me to think that, if the deadly fungus infection was real, some of us might not survive the outbreak(I know it's just a game and I'm probably just being a worry-wort, but still pretty scary when you think about it).
Personally, I am surprised that the virus (Which is based on a real-life one that affects arthropods.) mutated from being affecting only small invertebrates to suddenly completely taking over the human body. Where there infected animal fungi zombies? Was the virus actually a bioterrorist attack gone horribly right?
angelusbr wrote:Steam summer sale in a nutshell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... oGxA48HQ1g
Thank You "angel". Sincerely, Thank You. That was so hilarious!
_Stu_ wrote:This is different. I usually don't like shooters too. But Columbia, the rhythm of the story, the relationship between the two main characters (way superior to the one in The Last of Us)... the ending. God, the ending. Probably the best of this gen. Surely better than the MGS4, imo.

Infinite should be lived as an experience. A trip through Ken Levine's convulsed mind. This is one of the few shooters I've finished together with Half Life 1/2.
Nevermind if shooters make your intellect go numb.
"Mass killing makes you feel awesome!" is the rule of thumb.

But yes, that game is fascinating.
I admit that I daydream of being an interdimensional traveller. Kind of would fit right in with this comic's current story arc, Would it not?

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Lifio13 wrote:

I need a Wii U for this, but my 3DS will have to do for now. I am so hyped for Sonic Lost World it's insane.
Having already bought one, I get my chance no matter what. :3 Not sure if I'll take another chance on Sonic though. I'll have to see reviews.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Smaaaassshhhhhh brotherrrrssssss

Seriously, any fan of Smash Bros. should check out this site every day. They post a new picture and/or character five days a week and I have yet to figure out which ones so you should check every day for awesome content.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like how it's "Pikmin and Olimar" now. I guess the Pikmin rights groups got on Nintendo about the whole thanklessness thing.
Stuff.

Post by Stuff. »

Sleet wrote:
Lifio13 wrote:

Having already bought one, I get my chance no matter what. :3 Not sure if I'll take another chance on Sonic though. I'll have to see reviews.
The critics were actually quite kind to Colors and Generations (which I personally thought were awesome), and the great thing is that this looks a lot more creative and ambitious than either of them. Trust me, the series has come a long way since the dark ages. I'd honestly be pretty surprised if this game turned out a flop.

Also, man, I just realized how long it's been since I've played Smash Bros. SSMBU is going to be sweet.
*cough*
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

From the steam users, which were your summer sales purchases?
mine were:
portal and portal 2; dragon age; magicka; sonic hits collection; medal of honor airbone (for my dad); dark souls; and fable III.
Zavryn

Post by Zavryn »

Steam Sales this year, soooooo tempting. Wish I had more money for it. But I still ended up nabbing Dark Souls, Borderlands 2 (for a friend) and also Deus Ex.

Most of the other games I wanted I either had already bought, or were only like 40% off. Lame. lol.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Zavryn wrote:or were only like 40% off. Lame.
If 40% off is lame, I hate to think how money is actually being made with most of those sales.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

JeffCvt wrote:
Zavryn wrote:or were only like 40% off. Lame.
If 40% off is lame, I hate to think how money is actually being made with most of those sales.
I guess it's "lame" because there are game with 75%~90% discount