Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Nyaliva

Re: Chat Thread 39: A Heartwarming Children's Movie

Post by Nyaliva »

The banjo as an instrument is awesome but I have yet to hear some good banjo music that I really enjoy.

I like just about everything in terms of music but generally, the older the genre, the more I like it. I definitely don't like screamo, there's a lot of individual modern stuff that I love, and I can't stand popular RnB or rap but, like Sleet said, I've heard some really good rap that I wouldn't have heard if my sister didn't like the genre. On that note (heh, get it?), I love classical, my older sister likes heavy metal and my younger sister likes rap and RnB. :P
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

I am just going to put this out there:

I don't like The Beatles.

I don't hate them, their music just does not appeal to me and record snobs want me burned at the stake for not liking them. I just don't see what the big deal about them is. Yes, they inspired a lot of musicians to pick up their instruments but that is about it.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Actually, I have to agree, I haven't heard much of their stuff but of what I've heard, I don't thoroughly enjoy it. It's not bad, just not something I'd fawn over.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Sleet wrote: *nibbles on everyone's asleep limbs*
That's my bum, good sir! *swats gently with a newspaper*
KJOokami wrote:Meh. I still listen to Backstreet Boys occasionally. :U

And the other musical taboo for me is screamo. And any other similar genre where you can't understand the words purely because whatever vocal gimmick the singer is going for completely negates any diction they might have had beforehand. The way I view it, screaming can be a powerful supplement to normal vocals (bands like RED, Breaking Benjamin, and 3 Days Grace are good examples), but using them as a primary sound is just a disgrace to all things musical. That's just my opinion, though. I don't go around berating other people for listening to it; I just really don't care for it myself.
^ This guy.
Radio Blue Heart wrote:I am just going to put this out there:

I don't like The Beatles.

I don't hate them, their music just does not appeal to me and record snobs want me burned at the stake for not liking them. I just don't see what the big deal about them is. Yes, they inspired a lot of musicians to pick up their instruments but that is about it.
Yes! Personally, I like this better:
http://youtu.be/3fOArXzsJ9Q
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Wait, pop can't have great stuff?D:
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Admittedly it's not "stereotypical" banjo, but the banjo would like a word with y'all haters.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Sarnoff

Post by Sarnoff »

Seth wrote:
Sarnoff wrote:I guess that's pretty true, but it seems like making money has been becoming increasingly more important than making good music in the recent years.
I've always hated that argument. THe music industry has always been centered on making money. The benefit of hindsight makes older generations music seem better because people have stopped listening to the cruddy music that was made. (for example it's no longer the 90's and while the smashing pumpkins are still popular bands like the backstreet boys have fallen off the face of the earth). In 20 years kids trying to be edgy will talk about how good music was back in the early 2000's. No generation is really better at making music.
Pretty bleak future indeed. My Popular Music Styles of America class did explain that record companies love making money any way possible and love screwing over artists, but that the less well known bands are typically the ones with more talent and actually care a bit. Though my teacher did seem like a hipster so maybe he helped make me more biased.
Sleet wrote:Admittedly it's not "stereotypical" banjo, but the banjo would like a word with y'all haters.
Banjos are pretty awesome but I haven't found any good banjo metal yet.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Tiggy wrote:Wait, pop can't have great stuff?D:
Some of it is, but most of it is auto-tuned crap made to make money.
Also, shouldn't this move to the music topic or something?
jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

In the past POP have great stuff, right now - NO
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Tha Housefox wrote:Also, shouldn't this move to the music topic or something?[/color]
I was waiting for someone to say that!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Aye, it's about time for the music-related stuff to shuffle off to the music-related thread. *giggles*

The forecast today called (and still calls) for snow flurries with no accumulation. However, I'm looking out my windows and seeing a couple of inches of snow...

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Dissension wrote:Aye, it's about time for the music-related stuff to shuffle off to the music-related thread. *giggles*

The forecast today called (and still calls) for snow flurries with no accumulation. However, I'm looking out my windows and seeing a couple of inches of snow...
I got snow today. Despite not having it in the forecast as recently as yesterday.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

*giggles* We anticipated the chance of snow because, for about a week, the local news stations were calling for Sleet to hit Southeast Arkansas.

Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Dissension wrote:*giggles* We anticipated the chance of snow because, for about a week, the local news stations were calling for Sleet to hit Southeast Arkansas.
You wish Sleet would go visit you. :P
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Due to the geographic locations of St. Louis and Southeast Arkansas, respectively, Sleet would be ill-advised to detour to where I live (North-Central Arkansas).

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Y'all can have the snow. I want my spring break this year, darn it.

It was in the lower 70's last weekend. You know, just a random day in the middle of January where we're all walking around in shorts. It was so awesome!
McFly

Post by McFly »

Beagle wrote:Y'all can have the snow. I want my spring break this year, darn it.

It was in the lower 70's last weekend. You know, just a random day in the middle of January where we're all walking around in shorts. It was so awesome!
You're lucky. It has been in the high 40's to low 50's for the past week.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

the chat thread wrote:
Dissension wrote:Aye, it's about time for the music-related stuff to shuffle off to the music-related thread. *giggles*

Tha Housefox wrote:

I got snow today. Despite not having it in the forecast as recently as yesterday.
Dissension wrote:*giggles* We anticipated the chance of snow because, for about a week, the local news stations were calling for Sleet to hit Southeast Arkansas.
Tha Housefox wrote:
You wish Sleet would go visit you. :P
Dissension wrote:Due to the geographic locations of St. Louis and Southeast Arkansas, respectively, Sleet would be ill-advised to detour to where I live (North-Central Arkansas).
too much green @_@
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

That's just crazy talk.

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Crazy talk was always green. Born from the bottomless text of sewer games.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

You know you've been on a computer for too long when all the colors begin to lose their contrast to one another. XP This seems like a good time to call my friend and tell him about my birthday party.

And then it's back to putting my nose to the grindstone.

Post by 0404 »

McFly wrote:
Beagle wrote:Y'all can have the snow. I want my spring break this year, darn it.

You're lucky. It has been in the high 40's to low 50's for the past week.
y'all are lucky, it's -30'F here, take my snow.

*sniffle, Sniffle, Sniffle, Sniffle* I'm sniffling...
Beag, I bet you don't know how annoying it is to listen to all of those sniffles during an exam.
Last edited by 0404 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McFly

Post by McFly »

Ooh! I'll take it!

Post by 0404 »

*dumps all the snows in Snowytoba on Mcfly*
you happy now? I am.
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

texascat018 wrote: *sniffle, Sniffle, Sniffle, Sniffle* I'm sniffling...
Beag, I bet you don't know how annoying it is to listen to all of those sniffles during an exam.
Quit calling me Beag, it's annoying. I don't like being called Caitie IRL either.

When I was trying to take a practice AP Chemistry exam, everyone was having allergy reactions from it being springtime. I was surrounded by eight people sniffling during this thing. I finally had to give my teacher "the look" as I put my iPod on to listen to the thunderstorm track I have on there.

Little Miss Valedictorian from last year's senior class, who really hated me because I would actually ask for help during class when I needed it, shouted loudly, "HEY! She's seriously got her phone out, and you're just sitting there watching her!"

My teacher looks at her pointedly and replies, "Maybe if you took your allergy medication this morning, she'd be able to focus and not have to listen to your clogged sinuses for ninety minutes."

Man, Simpson was the bomb.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:Admittedly it's not "stereotypical" banjo, but the banjo would like a word with y'all haters.
I know we swapped topics, but I just wanted to say: if playing the violin a certain way transforms it into a fiddle, then I can justifiably say that there was no banjo played in that song. It was more like a... cooljo or something.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Duster

Post by Duster »

Dissension wrote: *giggles* The forecast today called (and still calls) for snow flurries with no accumulation. However, I'm looking out my windows and seeing a couple of inches of snow...
You must be seeing what we had this morning, i woke up just in time to see all that snow melt in like 30mins. Most of Texas isn't exactly "wintery" but at least this past Christmas we got snowed on!
Best *free* Christmas gift ever!!!
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!

Post by 0404 »

Duster wrote: You must be seeing what we had this morning, i woke up just in time to see all that snow melt in like 30mins. Most of Texas isn't exactly "wintery" but at least this past Christmas we got snowed on!
Best *free* Christmas gift ever!!!
What happens when it snows in Texas.
Duster

Post by Duster »

* Rolling over in tears laughing*
You know i've lived in Texas my entire life and never had many "problems" with snow (save the superbowl game of 2011 that was just awful, mostly ice though).
But what's truly pathetic (and hysterical) is that King of the Hill reference is almost spot on. Most of the plebians that live here are totally clueless when it comes to winter weather, save the one yankee guy whose gawking about the mass school/business closures that follow any accumulation of snow more than 3 inches. I just enjoy the crazy backwards antics of other texans trying to cope with one or two days worth of snow! *priceless*
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!

Post by 0404 »

I finished first three seasons of King of the hill in about 3 weeks in this December. I laughed my butt off for whole three weeks. :lol:
oh c'mon! we don't even get a day off from blizzard... you'll probably laugh at how we cope with hot summer day.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Sarnoff wrote:
Banjos are pretty awesome but I haven't found any good banjo metal yet.
This isn't amazing but when it comes to banjos and metal, you don't have many options.

ANYWAY, it's been awfully cold here recently. I wish it would just snow 'cause I'm tired of my car freezing. It needs to at least be worth it!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

My family has alot of blankets, but my dad still insist on using the wood furnace. Poor trees :(

I still listen to Michael Jackson music and some classics from time to time. And i only liked one song from the Back-street boys. =P

Also, this amused me on Twitter today. Cat beats stock market.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Punchy

Post by Punchy »

My hands are as cold as ice. They get like that every winter.
When somebody shakes my hand, they ask if I'm still alive.
Oh, if you have snow I'd gladly purchase some. Haven't had much this year, but got plenty of frozen days. Every other year we get tons of snow, It's always been like that.
Panda Panda Panda
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My room's been really cold lately 'cause I have two windows and my heating vent was blocked. Guess which one I fixed!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

My house is always cold during the winter months. Fortunately, my mom bought me a nice little mini-heater to stick next to my desk to keep my hands warm while I type. :3
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sleet wrote:My room's been really cold lately 'cause I have two windows and my heating vent was blocked. Guess which one I fixed!
Did you shut the windows?

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Dissension wrote:
Sleet wrote:My room's been really cold lately 'cause I have two windows and my heating vent was blocked. Guess which one I fixed!
Did you shut the windows?
Obviously her only solution was to break both of the windows and pour cement in his vent.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I considered that he may have boarded over her windows, as well.

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

He's an arctic fox, so she must suffer the consequences of her lifestyle. :P
Karl

Post by Karl »

You mean he/she.
I'm a bookworm!