My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

KJOokami

Re: My Little Pony

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:Rainbow Dash dating a Wonderbolt seems too far-fetched. They work better as idols, not equals.
I dunno. I kinda feel the opposite, if I'm honest. It's just with how much they play up RD's abilities, it seems far-fetched to me that she's still not a Wonderbolt.

Think about it. She's literally the fastest flyer in Equestria, she is not only the only pegasus able to pull off a Sonic Rainboom, but she can actually do it on-command now, and she's met with and proven her ability to various members of the team on several, separate occasions.

I feel like the "idol" role kind of lost its believability a good while back now because Rainbow Dash is probably better than all of them.

~~~

On another note, I mentioned a several days ago that I'm in an audioplay of the fanfiction Shipping and Handling and that we were putting together an advertisement to bring in some more people to finish out our cast list, as well as get a few editors and sound engineers. Well, it was released a few days back, so if you're interested in trying out (or you just want to listen to me talking really fast like a total spaz), then you can take a look at it here. :D
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

While it's definitely true that Rainbow Dash is faster than the Wonderbolts, speed doesn't quite equal skill, or finesse. Dash does kinda crash into things a lot.
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Or, even though Dash is a celebrity in her own rite, there might be some challenges for her in dating someone as famous as Soarin.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Penwrite wrote:While it's definitely true that Rainbow Dash is faster than the Wonderbolts, speed doesn't quite equal skill, or finesse. Dash does kinda crash into things a lot.
Does she?

The only time she really crashes into things is when she's doing some ridiculous, over-the-top trick, when she's not in direct control of her own body, and when something serious is distracting her. When it comes right down to times when she really needs to fly well, she does.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

the thing is that the Wonderbolts are all about doing over the top ridiculous tricks, which means she'd be crashing all the time. plus, Sonic Rainboom shows that she seems to get stage fright, which isn't that great for a performer. The times when she needs to fly well don't include performances or auditions, so It's believable that any time she'd have a chance to become a wonderbolt, she'd get nervous and screw things up for herself.

also, this comic offers another possible explanation

and I spent way too long trying to find it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I say she would date Soarin is because they had the most screen time together (Pie scene, dancing with him at the wedding)

I think the reason RD isn't part of the Wonderbolts is because she has a attitude and doesn't like to listen to rules (hence she got kicked out of flightschool).
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Kyderra wrote: I think the reason RD isn't part of the Wonderbolts is because she has a attitude and doesn't like to listen to rules (hence she got kicked out of flightschool).
I also kind of like to think that part of the reason is that she is an Element of Harmony and being on the team would cause her to be away from the others from a lot of time (due to performances and other obligations having to do with the Wonderbolts) leaving Equestria weakened if something happened that needed the Elements.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hrmm...my Iron Mare fic was just rejected for a third and final time by Equestria Daily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrCss6ax ... re=related

Obviously there's only one reasonable response to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=en ... SIzmYm-28w

No wait actually I don't know where anyone at Equestria Daily lives or what hours they're at home alone so I'll just write a really great story and submit that.
exranio

Post by exranio »

I dunno, if I had to go by "Sweet and Elite" Wonder bolts are still faster than her. The difference being that she can do the Boom thing.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

exranio wrote:I dunno, if I had to go by "Sweet and Elite" Wonder bolts are still faster than her. The difference being that she can do the Boom thing.
Maybe Rainbow Dash is as fast as them, but she takes longer to reach top speed than the Wonderbolts?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

exranio wrote:I dunno, if I had to go by "Sweet and Elite" Wonder bolts are still faster than her. The difference being that she can do the Boom thing.
The "Boom thing" is RD literally going so fast that she breaks the sound barrier. The very fact that she's the only one who can do it means that she's faster than the Wonderbolts.

And considering how quickly she did it at the wedding in the S2 finale, there's no way the Wonderbolts could have quicker acceleration either. That stunt means that her acceleration is from 0 to over 768mph in a couple seconds.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Right. And the fact that she so effectively led the Ponyville pegasus ponies in "Hurricane Fluttershy" shows she has no problem working in groups or as part of a team effort, so there goes that reason.

Maybe the Wonderbolts won't let her in now because she's TOO good for them?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I'm pretty sure it's purely for story purposes. Having her in the Wonderbolts would severely hamper her ability to participate in much of anything with the rest of the main cast, which is obviously not a good thing.

Brent made a valid point earlier about her not being as coordinated when it comes to some of the fancier tricks, but if you look at it from a real-world standpoint, NO sports team ever hires a perfect package. It just doesn't happen. They look for upcoming talent so that they can train them to become the polished athlete they're looking for. And it's pretty obvious that RD has more than enough raw talent to be a part of the team by this point. Especially considering that she already has contacts with two of the most renowned members of the team.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i'm not sure if any of you guys read homestuck
but if you do you should enjoy these
http://i47.tinypic.com/1z70qax.jpg
http://i47.tinypic.com/288usd4.jpg
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I did enjoy those. thanks.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Those were very nice captured all the characters very well.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Hmm upon re-watching it appears my memory was way off. In my recollection they weren't even visible and done practically the second it started.

Must have been watching too much anime.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

PW/MLPFIM: Turnabout Storm [Part 3/4]- Twilight The Next part of Turnabout Storm is out for anyone who watches it. Edit: Edited in a reupload with some fixes
Last edited by IceKitsune on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
exranio

Post by exranio »

I just finished some awesome line art and I have to share it. I did this by accident. I was supposed to draw a pony doing a backflip.
Radio Blue Heart

Awesome!
-Virgil
exranio

Post by exranio »

Colored. I left it scratchy because it's cool that way.
Rumble Blast
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

This fic is a nice subversion of the old "Scootaloo is homeless" cliche.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/50448/1 ... 27s-Secret
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

IceKitsune wrote:PW/MLPFIM: Turnabout Storm [Part 3/4]- Twilight The Next part of Turnabout Storm is out for anyone who watches it. Edit: Edited in a reupload with some fixes
Fun fact: I was the one who pointed out the major fixes he made in the re-upload. :p

On an unrelated note, I really need to buckle down and finish off Ch. 3 of my story already. It's been, like, a month. Blargh.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

KJOokami wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:PW/MLPFIM: Turnabout Storm [Part 3/4]- Twilight The Next part of Turnabout Storm is out for anyone who watches it. Edit: Edited in a reupload with some fixes
Fun fact: I was the one who pointed out the major fixes he made in the re-upload. :p

On an unrelated note, I really need to buckle down and finish off Ch. 3 of my story already. It's been, like, a month. Blargh.
*forms a mob outside KJO's home, wielding signs demanding more story*
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1zbGFGQTq0
awesome animation in this video
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

mariomarc wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1zbGFGQTq0
awesome animation in this video
That is awesome. Speaking of animation, just the other day I rewatched "Look Before You Sleep". It was the first S1 episode I'd watched in forever, and something that really jumped out at me is how far the show's animation has come along. That's not to say that the S1 animation is bad, just that it never dawned on me until now how much better S2 animation got. Especially jarring if you watch it right after, say, May the Best Pet Win.

Also, I'm not sure if this was intentional on Tara Strong's part, but does Twilight sound younger in S1 compared to S2?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Some info about Season 3 from the DVD synopsis apprently the Crystal Ponies just appeared out of nowhere. This is very interesting, possible time travel or alternate Dimension/Universe Ponies. Also they could be some kind of artificial construction of some kind; time to speculate!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

That's odd to say the least, considering how they sang about helping Cadance and the crystal ponies in that one song. I was under the impression Cadance was their leader or ambassador or something.

Also this, because there's never enough random in a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWWen6D ... re=mh_lolz
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Penwrite wrote:That's odd to say the least, considering how they sang about helping Cadance and the crystal ponies in that one song. I was under the impression Cadance was their leader or ambassador or something.

Also this, because there's never enough random in a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KCWWen6D ... re=mh_lolz
When they showed up they might have been leaderless and Cadance stepped up to help them out.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

an army of changelings gets launched from Canterlot.
an empire of new ponies mysteriously appears out of nowhere...
seems legit.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:an army of changelings gets launched from Canterlot.
an empire of new ponies mysteriously appears out of nowhere...
seems legit.
Its possible that is whats going on but to me that explanation seems a little to simple and obvious.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I don't actually think that's what's going on, but if the ponies don't even question it a little, they're stupid. :lol:
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I don't actually think that's what's going on, but if the ponies don't even question it a little, they're stupid. :lol:
Yeah they would be a really stupid to not at least question it.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Unless they actually know where the changelings are and can account for enough of them to be sure they aren't the crystal ponies.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

The End of The World
Three's a Crowd

I like the first one the best, that really would be scary.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I liked this one
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

New song by Mandopony just came out. In my opinion, one of his best songs in quite a while.

And since this song has been stuck in my head for the last couple days, I guess I should mention that as well. :3
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

This is a character of fire emblem, right?
http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2012/ ... 5edjhm.png
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Radio Blue Heart

Penwrite wrote:Right. And the fact that she so effectively led the Ponyville pegasus ponies in "Hurricane Fluttershy" shows she has no problem working in groups or as part of a team effort, so there goes that reason.

She is already part of an elite group of heroes. She may not be as famous, but she is far more important.

I always thought that the Crystal Ponies were just another one of the ponies that Celestia conquered and subjugated for her ever growing empire!
-Virgil
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

Penwrite wrote:Right. And the fact that she so effectively led the Ponyville pegasus ponies in "Hurricane Fluttershy" shows she has no problem working in groups or as part of a team effort, so there goes that reason.

Leading is the opposite of following, which was the problem she has that I was talking about.
Next to that, speed isn't the only thing that makes a wonderbolt,

"What Fleetfoot lacks in agility he makes up for in speed" -Rarity quoting RD
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"