Homestuck

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Wanderer

Re: Homestuck

Post by Wanderer »

I've just finished act 4. If the comic redeems itself in act 5 or something, let me know.
Some heavy ranting here, feel free to skip over:

I really don't like the way the author crams so much dialogue into those pesterlogs.
There must be a better way of presenting your story other than writing those incredibly long and painful to read wall of texts.
I really hate the trolls too. They're such uninteresting characters, oh they type in 1337. How cool!
The story such an incomprehensible, tangled mess!
There are so many alternate universes with characters that look the same except for a change in color schemes.
I suppose that I am not understanding the story as well because I skipped over most of the pesterlogs... seriously they are so painful to read.
I really don't want to waste my time reading those snarky comments from 13 year olds and references to terrible movies that 3 people watched.
Though, I have to admit this author has a lot of talent. It must take some skill to make something that is both boring and exciting.
I really enjoyed the music in Homestuck and sometimes the animation, but at times it just becomes unbearable to read because of how boring and uninteresting it can become.
I've been told so many good things about Homestuck. Needless to say, I am quite disappointed.
It is hard to take Homestuck seriously if the author doesn't even take it seriously himself.
I agree, Hussie.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

wwonderful
bwah bwah
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I found this quite hilarious.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Oh muffins and cookies that is disturbing
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Run while you still can, Dante!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

he's already one of us. :twisted:
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

So I've recently caught back up with Homestuck. |D

Also, Brent, that is one of the ten greatest things I've ever seen.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wanderer wrote:I've just finished act 4. If the comic redeems itself in act 5 or something, let me know.
Some heavy ranting here, feel free to skip over:

I really don't like the way the author crams so much dialogue into those pesterlogs.
There must be a better way of presenting your story other than writing those incredibly long and painful to read wall of texts.
I really hate the trolls too. They're such uninteresting characters, oh they type in 1337. How cool!
The story such an incomprehensible, tangled mess!
There are so many alternate universes with characters that look the same except for a change in color schemes.
I suppose that I am not understanding the story as well because I skipped over most of the pesterlogs... seriously they are so painful to read.
I really don't want to waste my time reading those snarky comments from 13 year olds and references to terrible movies that 3 people watched.
Though, I have to admit this author has a lot of talent. It must take some skill to make something that is both boring and exciting.
I really enjoyed the music in Homestuck and sometimes the animation, but at times it just becomes unbearable to read because of how boring and uninteresting it can become.
I've been told so many good things about Homestuck. Needless to say, I am quite disappointed.
It is hard to take Homestuck seriously if the author doesn't even take it seriously himself.
I agree, Hussie.
I'm really sorry you don't like it, but there are some things you should take into consideration.

1.) That's like saying "I really don't like the way the author crams so much dialogue into these pages" about a novel. The pesterlogs are the main source of story.
2.) The trolls grow on you. They really do. You're kinda supposed to hate them at first, but then you get to know them. Not to mention they all type differently. GC is the only one who types in 1337 (even then she doesn't type in "true" 1337. She just types in all caps and replaces A, I and E with 4, 1, and 3, respectively) Some of them are quite easy to read (particularly AC, GA and CT). I will concede that it's a little painful to read some of the more "loud" trolls (like CG and TA) talking to each other for a while, but generally it's just fine.
3.) The story is pretty tangled. I think that's the point. Luckily I don't think it's intended for readers to understand every plot point immediately. Part of the fun is to be amused by how tangled it all is.
4.) The only characters that look the same but with colors changed are the Prospitan and Dersite redshirts. I'm not sure what you mean.
5.) Yes, that's exactly why! The pesterlogs are the main way the stories are told! It's like reading a book and only looking at the pictures!
6.) The obscurity of those movies is part of the weird humor; John has pretty bad taste in movies.
7.) If you really don't like Homestuck, perhaps try Problem Sleuth? But I think you should give it a fairer shot.
8.) It's not supposed to take itself seriously! It's a comedy.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Sleet wrote:I'm really sorry you don't like it, but there are some things you should take into consideration.

1.) That's like saying "I really don't like the way the author crams so much dialogue into these pages" about a novel. The pesterlogs are the main source of story.
2.) The trolls grow on you. They really do. You're kinda supposed to hate them at first, but then you get to know them. Not to mention they all type differently. GC is the only one who types in 1337 (even then she doesn't type in "true" 1337. She just types in all caps and replaces A, I and E with 4, 1, and 3, respectively) Some of them are quite easy to read (particularly AC, GA and CT). I will concede that it's a little painful to read some of the more "loud" trolls (like CG and TA) talking to each other for a while, but generally it's just fine.
3.) The story is pretty tangled. I think that's the point. Luckily I don't think it's intended for readers to understand every plot point immediately. Part of the fun is to be amused by how tangled it all is.
4.) The only characters that look the same but with colors changed are the Prospitan and Dersite redshirts. I'm not sure what you mean.
5.) Yes, that's exactly why! The pesterlogs are the main way the stories are told! It's like reading a book and only looking at the pictures!
6.) The obscurity of those movies is part of the weird humor; John has pretty bad taste in movies.
7.) If you really don't like Homestuck, perhaps try Problem Sleuth? But I think you should give it a fairer shot.
8.) It's not supposed to take itself seriously! It's a comedy.
Oh please don't compare Homestuck to a novel! A novel might have literary merit, a well thought out story, and believable characters. This "webcomic" has none of these traits. You can clearly see the author is making everything up as he goes. Why is it that all the characters accept the end of the world like it is an everyday phenomenon? Why? Having read some of Act 5 Part 1, I like the trolls slightly more than before but it doesn't change my opinion of them very much. Talk about definable characters, Homestuck is teeming with Mary Sues. The story is so drawn out, it has the worst pacing ever! The complexity of the universe is so unnecessary and boring. It infuriates me when he keeps adding on plot irrelevant details like the inventory system. I didn't need 100+ pages explaining the wonders of captchalogs. Did I really need to see ALL of that? How is that entertaining in any way? Those pesterlogs are way too long and done too often for me to sit and read through all of it. Over half of the pesterlogs are about the author trying to be witty using irony. If it's a comedy, why is it that I haven't even laughed once so far? It's simply not worth the trouble reading all of that.

The only reason I even started reading Homestuck for this long is because a certain crazy fangirl friend of mine won't shut up about it.

Problem Sleuth looks so much better in comparison to Homestuck. I'll be sure to read that instead of wasting my time reading this garbage.

Sorry, but I'm not calling any of you that likes this garbage, I'm calling Homestuck garbage. It certainly does amaze me how people enjoy this.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

A novel tells a story using words. Homestuck tells a story using words. That's the extent to which my comparison goes. And not all novels have literary merit, you know.

The characters accept it because they're weird. There really isn't a single normal person in Homestuck. Though I don't understand who exactly is a Mary Sue. Jade showed a few signs of it early on but she grew out of it I'm pretty sure.

The full story was planned ahead of time, but some of the finer details are made up on the spot, especially early on. The whole "thing" of MSPA is it feels like a text adventure, where things are decided on the spot. That doesn't mean it was all actually ad-libbed.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

And yet, some people clearly do like it. So it must have something that people find enjoyable that you must be missing. That doesn't make it garbage.

I know people who liked "The Count of Monte Cristo". I thought the pacing was far too slow. Does this mean it's garbage? How about "A Tale of Two Cities"?
As for a reverse story: I like "Huckleberry Finn", but I know people who didn't.

Can you tone down on the hate a bit? ;)
It's not that the characters are completely unlikeable; it's just that you (and maybe others) don't like them.
It's not that the pacing is horrendous. You simply aren't in rhythm with it.
All of this is fine. But again, the hate is a little strong.

There does come a point where something truly is garbage, but all critics must remember that it might be that they just missed something that others will really enjoy.

Also, Problem Sleuth is a lot easier to keep your head wrapped around (in my opinion), so you may enjoy that more.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Obbl wrote:And yet, some people clearly do like it. So it must have something that people find enjoyable that you must be missing. That doesn't make it garbage.

By that logic, there is no garbage in the world, because there is nothing in the world that everyone dislikes.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Let's not get personal or argumentative. :3
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Tiggy wrote:By that logic, there is no garbage in the world, because there is nothing in the world that everyone dislikes.
Hoarders.
Keep everything.
'Nuff said there.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Wanderer wrote:You can clearly see the author is making everything up as he goes.
hahaha oh wow.
You can't write a story like this and make it up as you go along. You can't connect a plot as big as this like he does by accident.

I'm sorry, I agree that homestuck is a completely tangled mess, but that's why it's fun to read. It's complete garbage and shouldn't exist be all logical laws of literature, but manages to be one of the most entertaining things to read. But you can't not read half of it and then tell me that the humor is bad and the characters are stupid and the plot doesn't make sense.

However, You've already gone this far in, and you're clearly not reading it with the right mindset, so honestly I don't expect you to go back and read it. I'd just drop it.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If anyone remembers Box O Lions. [Mild language warning]
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

If you want my two cents:

The whole thing with the captchalogs and the off pacing has to do with the story's attempt to mirror a text adventure. You could type in different things and get weird responses and you could go off on a tangent that you knew led absolutely nowhere but wasn't sure if the game knew that.

This also explains the extreme complexity and cluster**** that the story is, because when text adventures first came out, they had strange rules, pointless deviations and really complex stories that left the player disoriented and confused. But being able to wrap your head around as many complex plot points as possible is part of why people like it, it's complex and they get it so they like it because most other people wouldn't understand everything.

I also dislike the pesterlogs but only when I'm trying to get through it. If you were reading a book you wouldn't be doing the same thing, you'd be engrossed in what's going on and suddenly realise you've read 12 pages. I know CG's ramblings are rather long-winded and unnecessarily pointless but that's part of his character. It may not be a novel but it is a written story as much as a webcomic.

Personally I enjoy the comic because it is so complex that when a plot point you originally thought was a dead end is developed on, and interestingly so, you just know it's all been planned. This gets better towards Cascade but I'm not going to force you to read that far, there's still a lot to get through including Doc Scratch's memory box which is the epitomy of long, boring pesterlogs. So stop reading if you want, read Problem Sleuth maybe, but please don't say it's garbage, it's just complex and strangely developed, which has been done worse before. And Hussie's self-referencial humour is part of the charm, it's so complex and Hussie realises this, poking fun at it while we and he all know it's going somewhere and is complex for a reason. And believe me, it may not be obvious at Act 5 Act 1 but it is going somewhere.

tl;dr You may not like its complexity but that doesn't make it garbage. You don't have to read it if you don't want, we won't judge you but every complex plot point does have a reason, if only to become more complex for the sake of the game. Remember, this is a game created to make a universe, it's going to be complex, and it's meant to leave you in awe of the construct of such a thing. And the comedy is meant to relate to text adventuring as well as do the opposite of the previous: make you wonder at the pettiness of the current situations compared to the bigger picture.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

So

uu is one of the ingredients of Lord English????

Also, calling it, uu is Lord of Time (maybe)
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Okay, back to my original theory: the humans' session ends up creating the cherubim. I have to say I wish calliope were cuter, but eh. And I dunno how related uu can be to Lord English. Lord English is a no-nonsense villain, and uu is tricky.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Sleet wrote:Okay, back to my original theory: the humans' session ends up creating the cherubim. I have to say I wish calliope were cuter, but eh. And I dunno how related uu can be to Lord English. Lord English is a no-nonsense villain, and uu is tricky.
Her trollsona is really cute though!!!!
also I think that was the point. It's like "oh don't say that UU we're sure that you're cute" and then we get hit with "oh we were wrong."
ALSO, She's a TOTAL cute! the only thing ugly about her is her rather prominent cheek bones, which can be worked around and made adorable. It's all about how you draw her design honestly. A more detailed rendition might give her head structure a more sculpted skull-look.
ALSO, maybe jake's love of skulls is why the cherubim look so skull-y, if they do indeed create Uu's universe. The uUniverse.

I'm not saying that uu IS lord english, i'm saying he's part of the recipe for lord english.
also we know absolutely nothing about lord english's personality anyway.

Around here we have something called The Red Mile. "The Red Mile is the second oldest harness race track in the United States." Reading about the Homestuck Red Mile confused me a little.
Might have something to do with the ambiguous significance of horses.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If Calliope were blue, Jake's jaw would drop.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Sleet wrote:If Calliope were blue, Jake's jaw would drop.
too many babes for jake.
jakebabes
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Now the question is this: Are Calliope's fake horns a "thing," like Nepeta's kitty hat, or has she just not taken them off yet? I hope she always wears them; she looks better with horns. The bald skull head is unbecoming.

Also, fun fact: in Greek mythology, Calliope is the muse of epic poetry.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

this is beautiful
and this is funny (warning: some strong language)
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That first one is really cute. :3
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

You often like to draw your TROLLSONA too
OH MAN
oh man I totally called that.

And I think the horns are dopey and her skull head is PERFECTLY CUTE.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You're a clever man, Andrew Hussie. I like how her trollsona's name helps establish that her name isn't "Cally-ope." It is, in fact, "kuh-LYE-oh-pee."
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Theory: uu's name start's with "lil"

possibly lilford. :B
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think it ends with -masis.

What if it's Lilmasis?

EDIT: The last few updates are so incredibly like House of Leaves. I wonder if Andrew Hussie has read it. It, like Homestuck, is one of my favorite bizarre works of 21st-century postmodern literature, so I would not be surprised if he has!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

attention fellow homestucks: Rufio just got to Rufio's death.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

YEEEEEEES.
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

We need a reaction video! NOW!
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

his Tumblr has his reaction.
the best part: he was drinking wine at the time, so he was a bit tipsy when Hussie made out with him.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh my Gog. The new Homestupdate is awesome. Definitely worth the wait!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I liked the ending.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Jane's and Roxy's faces help remind us of how much ridiculousness we actually take in stride from Homestuck.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Dirk is like 10 kinds of awesome hes like the only R Kid I even care about. Though Roxy is cool too.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like all of 'em, really. I tend to like Roxy more sober-ish, though she's still pretty funny drunk.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Jake is the only Alpha I don't like because He's only superficially cool.

Dirk is ok because he's a little bit mysterious and intriguing and I like his AI twin. But I really like the girls they're pretty awesome
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Psykeout wrote:Jake is the only Alpha I don't like because He's only superficially cool.
That's part of what I like about him! He's just generally adorable at his failed attempts at being a BA.

(That said he probably actually is, in the grand scheme of things. He just can't compare to his ridiculous peers.)