Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Dubiousity

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Dubiousity »

Dissension wrote:
Nyaliva wrote:I always buy my current generation games, even last generation, but for things like the PS1 or even the SNES which you can't get anymore unless you buy them from a collector which costs exactly $1 billion...
Really? The local video game stores have a large stock of Playstation and Super Nintendo (Super Famicom) systems and games and they're relatively inexpensive. = P
I too have a local game store that has everything from modern to classic games and systems. Nothing there is expensive from what I can recall from the few times I've been in there.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

In all my years of living, I have yet to actually see a game store besides Gamestop or EB Games. This fact saddens and irritates me.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Nyaliva wrote:I always buy my current generation games, even last generation, but for things like the PS1 or even the SNES which you can't get anymore unless you buy them from a collector which costs exactly $1 billion, I use emulators. I only have a SNES one at the moment with like 6 games on it and it's actually encouraged me to buy a current generation version of the game. I don't like piracy but I like emulators of old systems because they allow me to play games I once played and/or owned as a child. This is why I think taking away backwards compatability is utter stupidity.
There are some great vintage game stores out there if you take the time to look for them.
Many of them will stock games for popular consoles like the NES, SNES, and Genesis.
However, these guys know their stuff. If a game is worth $50, you'll see a $50 price tag on it.

The best place to look for old vintage games and systems is flea markets, thrift stores, and old pawn shops.
Craigslist is another amazing source, but you have to be patient and willing to travel.

As another alternative to emulation, you can get a Nintendo Wii.
There is a massive selection of games available on the Wii Virtual Console.
Many of the best ones are available at much cheaper than the cartridge retail price.
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Dissension wrote:
Nyaliva wrote:I always buy my current generation games, even last generation, but for things like the PS1 or even the SNES which you can't get anymore unless you buy them from a collector which costs exactly $1 billion...
Really? The local video game stores have a large stock of Playstation and Super Nintendo (Super Famicom) systems and games and they're relatively inexpensive. = P
Really? Where do you live because I want to live there. :P
The game stores near me stopped selling anything older than Nintendo DS/Playstation 2 ages ago because it "wasn't in their financial interests". There used to be a store which dealt in much older stuff and they even had an Atari 2600 with like a million games, but they left and the nearest store of the same company is over an hour's drive away. There's rarely anything I'm interested in on eBay for a reasonable price and while I like gaming, I have so many and so little time that buying a new game is rarely in my financial interest unless it's something I know is good or have been waiting for.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

As another alternative, if you live by an Edwards McKay: (Used Books and more) store, they often sell old games, all the way down to the Atari. Like what my brother said about other vintage game dealers, they tend to mark their prices according to their value online, but there has been way more than a few times where we have seen them sell rare and expensive games for a surprisingly low price. They seem to mess up a lot on that aspect.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

There's a new Sly Cooper game coming out soon. I'm really excited about it even though I don't have a PS3. I'll get my friend to get it so that I can play it when I go over to his house.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
SirSlappy

Post by SirSlappy »

I'm excited for it as well. The more I look into it, the more I want it. They've got original voice actors so that's awesome.
[insert witty comment here]
You can PM me if you feel like it.

Post by 0404 »

I should keep my old Xbox and Old halo till the price of it goes up.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't think the price is going to go up. Why do you think it will?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Post by 0404 »

I'm thinking about far, far future, like in 2050. I'll give it to my son or sell it to museum if price goes up. if not, I'll just play it.
but you never know what will happen in 2050, fallout stuff may become true, mw3 happens for real etc...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think electronics are among the least lucrative long-term investments.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Zukio

Post by Zukio »

While consoles don't gain value as time goes on, I am proud of my older consoles that still work after all these years.
Nintendo 64 has lived for over 10 years, while I have had to get a new DS every couple of years.
I like Pie!!!
Go ahead and send me a message, maybe we could talk about pie!
GET OUT OF MY HEAD!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Occasionally something with gain value, as Flint or Esquire will be happy to tell you. But that's typically not what smash-hits like Halo will do.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

Sleet wrote: But that's typically not what smash-hits like Halo will do.
Isn't that because so many of them get made that they arn't really rare?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Exactly.
FlintTheSquirrel

Games that gain the most value are games that sold a low amount and became popular after they stopped printing it. Halo will not really go all to far, since there are tons of them out there.

My brother is much better than I when it comes to predicting rarity and prices, but that is the basic jist of it.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I think that happened with Pikmin 2, right?
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
FlintTheSquirrel

Yup, same with things like Earthbound and the Conker game I won't name.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You can name that game, just don't go into detail about the content of it. >.>
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I liked Bad Fur day, and I shall end it at that.

Also, I can't wait for the new Hitman game, the Instinct idea I really hope goes well, but I won't really use it, I think its better to use my wits and knowledge as opposed to a mechanic to help you find people. I swear, I can still get a Silent Assassin rating on the opera level in Blood Money after these years.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
ZambieHugger

Post by ZambieHugger »

I'm going to honestly ask if anyone has ever played The Godfather for the Xbox?
I live in a world managed by children, whenever they don't get what they want, they yell and scream.
Insanity is just a name, crazy a color, and psychopaths a person.
Secretly...I am Batman.
The Grey Wolverine

I 100% completed that game, its fun, until you become Don of New York, after that, its just too easy because you get $1000000 and unlimited ammo.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
McFly

Post by McFly »

Found my old Spyro the Dragon game for the PS1. Problem is the game freezes when moving to a different realm. :|
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I love Spyro! Though I don't have many memories of playing it because I was so little.

Also, this may not have much to do with the current topic but I
snagged my 100th win in League of Legends just now, wooo!
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

I never did beat the original Spyro 100%.
I remember being terrified of the stage with the enemies that can swallow you whole.
Though I did managed to get 100% on Spyro 2, which unlocked unlimited fireball power.
Lot of good that does when you've already collected everything.

The Playstation consoles had some fantastic platforming games.
The big three come to mind (Ratchet & Clank, Jak, Sly).

It is too bad that Naughty Dog and Sucker Punch stopped working with their IPs.
Luckily, Insomniac is still on board with Ratchet & Clank, while Sucker Punch passed the torch to Sanzaru.
It seems all the people at Sanzaru have one thing in common, they absolutely love Sly.
Lets hope they manage to do this long awaited sequel justice.
- Esquire Fox

Nyaliva

Post by Nyaliva »

Yes! The great tri-fecta. I've recently been playing one of the new R&C games and I have to say, it's AWESOME!!! It certainly does the series justice and I'm hoping the others on the PS3 are as good. I got the last Jak game (The Lost Frontier) ages ago and I started it but now I can't find it. I never played the Sly Racoon series but I did manage to get my hands on the first one and I have yet to start it.

But even better, I've got Playstation Move Heroes, a game for the Move containing all three hero pairs, again yet to play but I'm highly anticipating it!
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book
SirSlappy

Post by SirSlappy »

I really liked R&C crack in time. Mostly because it allowed you actually fly around in space.
I've never played Jak. Maybe I should go look for some games in that series.
[insert witty comment here]
You can PM me if you feel like it.
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

Anyone who knows me personally will know that I am a HUGE nintendork, though lately I've been getting into steam games (in paticular Team Fortress 2) more often. Dispite that, my favorite games are still nintendo ones (Yoshi's Island is and will always be the best game ever created). Also great is the Kirby series which I adore so much! Infact, I own the entire series (save for one because it was japanese only...)!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Can someone say if the games of Magic the gathering for ps3 are any good or even if it exists a version of it for pc?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planewalker is on Steam.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Tiggy wrote:Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planewalker is on Steam.
But is it good? I mean, does it have lots of cards like the yugioh games? Do I have complete freedom to build my deck and so on?
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Honestly, I don't know.

I don't even know why I bought it cause I havent even played it. XD
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Tiggy wrote:Honestly, I don't know.

I don't even know why I bought it cause I havent even played it. XD
I see. I'm asking this because I've played a quite old Magic the gathering game for pc and it had only 5 decks (one for each color) I couldn't change the cards and I could only play against the other decks (even against the one I was using).
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It has premade decks and adjustments can be made with a limited card pool, but you don't have complete freedom.
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Nitrosparxx wrote:Anyone who knows me personally will know that I am a HUGE nintendork, though lately I've been getting into steam games (in paticular Team Fortress 2) more often. Dispite that, my favorite games are still nintendo ones (Yoshi's Island is and will always be the best game ever created). Also great is the Kirby series which I adore so much! Infact, I own the entire series (save for one because it was japanese only...)!
I remember as a kid I had to choose between Yoshi's Island and Goof Troop. After much thought, I ended up getting the later, which turned out to be an extremely fun co-op game.
It wasn't until I came to the United States that I eventually got a copy of Yoshi's Island. I had played it with a friend before hand, so I already knew I would love it.
What do you think of Yoshi's Island DS?

A Japanese-only Kirby game? I have both the Famicom and Super Famicom, so that may well be an option for me.
What is the game called?
- Esquire Fox

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:It has premade decks and adjustments can be made with a limited card pool, but you don't have complete freedom.
That's too bad... I think not letting the players build their own strategy is a huge handcap, why can't Wizard of the Coast learn with yugioh games? Thanks for the explanation, Sleet. You saved me from wasting my money.
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

Esquire Fox wrote:I remember as a kid I had to choose between Yoshi's Island and Goof Troop. After much thought, I ended up getting the later, which turned out to be an extremely fun co-op game.
It wasn't until I came to the United States that I eventually got a copy of Yoshi's Island. I had played it with a friend before hand, so I already knew I would love it.
What do you think of Yoshi's Island DS?
I think it was a very good game, very well crafted and I liked how it acknowledeged the first games exsistance. But having said that, it's far from the greatness of the original Yoshi's Island. For one thing, Yoshi's Island had the best difficulty curve of any game I've ever play. I mean, it gradually get's hard in very even levels (unlike some games where the difficulty curve bounces all over the place). In Yoshi's Island DS the game starts pretty easy and kinda get a little difficult, until you hit world 5 and the difficulty just goes beezerk! That moment when I made to the last world was like skipping through a medow, and suddenly running headfirst into a concrete wall. It was just nuts. Then there are some other tiny things like the loss of transformations, no poochy, forgettable music, etc. that I didn't like, but behind all that stuff lie a game who at it heart was a tied and true platformer.
A Japanese-only Kirby game? I have both the Famicom and Super Famicom, so that may well be an option for me.
What is the game called?
I do believe it was called "Hoshi no Kaabii: No KiraKira Kizzu" or (in english) "Kirby's Sparkling Kids." It was pretty much a Super Famicom sequel to Kirby's Star Stacker for the gameboy. Appearently it's extrodenarly rare outside of Japan, because I most certainly have never seen up for sale anywhere here.

(Also, you have a Super Famicom? So jealous! Been meaning to get one of those. Don't you need some special adapter for it, or does it take american cables?)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Esquire Fox wrote:What do you think of Yoshi's Island DS?
I loved it. It did a good job being faithful to the feel of the first. However, it's brutally difficult. Just a fair warning.
angelusbr wrote:
Sleet wrote:It has premade decks and adjustments can be made with a limited card pool, but you don't have complete freedom.
That's too bad... I think not letting the players build their own strategy is a huge handcap, why can't Wizard of the Coast learn with yugioh games? Thanks for the explanation, Sleet. You saved me from wasting my money.
It's meant as an introduction to Magic above all else. If you want to customize your own strategies, just play Magic. :3
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Yoshi's Island did have an excellent difficulty curve, not counting the extra stages.
The DS sequel stayed pretty faithful to the original considering it wasn't even developed by Nintendo.

Extreme difficulty isn't very common in today's games.
Many modern games hold your hand all the way through, but the old games can be absolutely ruthless.
Each has its own appeal though, which is why many people still love to challenge the old era of games.

So the Japan-only Kirby game is a puzzle game spin off.
You aren't kidding about it being rare, here's one of the few listings on eBay:
Kirby Kirakira Kids

It reminds me of Kirby's Avalanche and Wario's Woods.
Those were some extremely fun competitive puzzle games to play growing up.
Nitrosparxx wrote:Don't you need some special adapter for it, or does it take American cables?
The Super Famicom power cable can be used in an American outlet because the voltages are very similar.
Alternatively, you can use a variety of cables including the Super Nintendo power cord and RF cable.
But because of differences in television signals, you need to set the TV to channel 96.

The original Famicom on the other hand can NOT use an NES power cable.
Because the cable outputs AC voltage, the Famicom would be fried in seconds.

I personally recommend the original Famicom over the Super Famicom.
The Super Famicom has a lot of Japan exclusives, but most of them are extremely text heavy.
The Famicom library is enormous and most of the games are simple and don't need an understanding of the Japanese language.
- Esquire Fox

The Grey Wolverine

Okay guys, so, difficulty curves and spikes, what games do you think have the worst ones? Me personally, I think its Metal of Honor Heroes 2 on the PSP, firstly its a PSP FPS, very few shooters (MGS Peace Walker exempt) on the PSP had decent controls, but the second mission in Heroes 2 was such a huge difficulty spike. The mission is to get in and blow up Nazi U boats, 4 of them. Not so hard right? WRONG!

The first mission was easy, it was a tutorial, nothing more. The second level has endless spawn points of Nazis, the charges are set on timers, and the charges are the only way to blow up the first two U boats, while under fire from an endless spawn, than you move on and fight your way to a sniper post, you kill the guys on the way up and grab the gun. Protect your guys aaaaaand, now you have to. With no help. At all. So, after surviving the same two Nazis over and over again running into one autosave spot at th beginning of the evil gauntlet, you have to endure mostly Nazis on MGs, Nazis with SMGs, and Nazis with rifles. You make it to the NEXT area and get attacked by a Nazi with a rocket launcher.

To shorten what happens next, you run into one autosave, kill many more Nazis, get to the top of a tower with the rocket Nazi, take it, blow up fuel than fight your way BACK to get to the tank, than you enter the subpen. And than it gets HARDER, you have to fight through more endless spawn waves and blow up MORE U boats with timed charges, while being attacked by endlessly spawning SMG Nazis and endless spawning snipers. If you can fight your way through the pen and NOT did from a charge, you finally get to the end and finish the level. Its the hardest and second longest mission in the game, I man its CRAZY, you can not catch a break ever, the only thing harder is the last level's finale, only because you have to open blast doors and not get blown up by your own charges, but that's the last level, its supposed to be hard, its crazy.