No
25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Malkus

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Malkus »

I'm a therianthrope with the phenotype of canis lupus arctos, or the Arctic Wolf. His name is Malkus, and while he is a feral naturally, I often use an anthropomorphized version of him in roleplays.

Nice use of salient, statant, and couchant. But I've always used the designations of 'sapient', 'sentient', and 'feral' to describe the different states. While these don't necessarily describe the physical body, to me it's the mind that counts. 'Sapient' is to 'cogito ergo sum' as sentient is to 'cogito'. Sapient meaning capable of human level thought and sentient being capable of a human child's level of thought. Feral refers to a being who is ruled by primal instinct and basic urges.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Welcome Malkus! You seem to know a lot about the different states of furries.

I haven't given much thought into what exactly the state of my fursona is. I guess mine is a... sapient red fox?
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

Kitela wrote:Welcome Malkus! You seem to know a lot about the different states of furries.

I haven't given much thought into what exactly the state of my fursona is. I guess mine is a... sapient red fox?
Thank you. I used to identify as a furry some years in the past before I discovered the term 'therian' that better described my mindset and personality. I've put a lot of thought into this topic over the years, and those were some of the terms I came up with.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Hey Malkus! It's nice to meet you! :D i'm Inali, a red fox. And, of I'm not mistaken, you're the first Therian here. Pretty cool.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Hello Malkus! Nice to meet you too!
Sleet wrote:As cute as animal videos (I WARNED YOU ABOUT STAIRS BRO!!!!) are, let's get back on topic.
AHHHH CORGI!
Cute~!
*Dies from cuteness*
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

Inali wrote:Hey Malkus! It's nice to meet you! :D i'm Inali, a red fox. And, of I'm not mistaken, you're the first Therian here. Pretty cool.
Am I now? Huh. And here I thought there were more of 'us' around here. Especially on an anthro comic's site.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Malkus wrote:Thank you. I used to identify as a furry some years in the past before I discovered the term 'therian' that better described my mindset and personality. I've put a lot of thought into this topic over the years, and those were some of the terms I came up with.
Ah, 'therian'! There's a term I've heard once or twice before.

If I may ask, what is the difference between a 'therian' and your average 'furry'? I've heard the former term on several occasions, but never quite understood the difference.

Also, welcome! :)
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

KJOokami wrote:
Malkus wrote:Thank you. I used to identify as a furry some years in the past before I discovered the term 'therian' that better described my mindset and personality. I've put a lot of thought into this topic over the years, and those were some of the terms I came up with.
Ah, 'therian'! There's a term I've heard once or twice before.

If I may ask, what is the difference between a 'therian' and your average 'furry'? I've heard the former term on several occasions, but never quite understood the difference.

Also, welcome! :)
Let's see. The difference between 'therians' and 'furries' is that therians have more of a....spiritual connection with the animal of their phenotype. Whereas furries are humans who desire to be whatever animal, therians believe that they are the animal. That's a basic definition without the shades of grey that come with topics such as this.

My own personal shade of grey is that I believe that I've got a mental, spiritual, and emotional bond with my wolfen counterpart whom I've named Malkus.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't like those designations for "sentient" because that's not what the word actually means. Sentient just means thinking; all animals are sentient. Sapient means reasoning, and in real life only humans are sapient, though anthropomorphs can be in fiction.
Wikipedia wrote:The first widely-known internet use of the term developed among the Usenet group alt.horror.werewolves (ca. 1992).[24] Some Usenet users began publicly asserting that they were part animal, generally in a spiritual sense.[25] Such people initially called themselves lycanthropes or weres, but because lycan specifically refers to wolves the term therianthrope, or therian for short, became more widely used. From these foundations, a subculture of individuals identifying as therianthropes has developed.[26] Some self-described therianthropes also consider themselves members of the Otherkin subculture.[27] Many therianthropes also claim they have a psychological connection, rather than a spiritual one to their animal. Some therianthropes use the term species dysphoria to describe their feelings of disconnect with their human bodies as a result of their identification.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Malkus wrote:Let's see. The difference between 'therians' and 'furries' is that therians have more of a....spiritual connection with the animal of their phenotype. Whereas furries are humans who desire to be whatever animal, therians believe that they are the animal. That's a basic definition without the shades of grey that come with topics such as this.

My own personal shade of grey is that I believe that I've got a mental, spiritual, and emotional bond with my wolfen counterpart whom I've named Malkus.
Ah, alright. I'm definitely a furry, then. Though I can't say I actually desire to be a fox on any level beyond an RP or something like that. I just connect with them from a symbolic standpoint.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

Sleet wrote:I don't like those designations for "sentient" because that's not what the word actually means. Sentient just means thinking; all animals are sentient. Sapient means reasoning, and in real life only humans are sapient, though anthropomorphs can be in fiction.
Wikipedia wrote:The first widely-known internet use of the term developed among the Usenet group alt.horror.werewolves (ca. 1992).[24] Some Usenet users began publicly asserting that they were part animal, generally in a spiritual sense.[25] Such people initially called themselves lycanthropes or weres, but because lycan specifically refers to wolves the term therianthrope, or therian for short, became more widely used. From these foundations, a subculture of individuals identifying as therianthropes has developed.[26] Some self-described therianthropes also consider themselves members of the Otherkin subculture.[27] Many therianthropes also claim they have a psychological connection, rather than a spiritual one to their animal. Some therianthropes use the term species dysphoria to describe their feelings of disconnect with their human bodies as a result of their identification.
And there's the official definition.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

So your basically a lifestyler with a deep attachment to your avatar then.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

KJOokami wrote:
Malkus wrote:Let's see. The difference between 'therians' and 'furries' is that therians have more of a....spiritual connection with the animal of their phenotype. Whereas furries are humans who desire to be whatever animal, therians believe that they are the animal. That's a basic definition without the shades of grey that come with topics such as this.

Ah, alright. I'm definitely a furry, then. Though I can't say I actually desire to be a fox on any level beyond an RP or something like that. I just connect with them from a symbolic standpoint.
That's how I see it. I've always took interest in the vulpine species and can symbolically relate myself to a fox or coyote. Though I don't feel any spiritual connection to them whatsoever.
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

Foxstar wrote:So your basically a lifestyler with a deep attachment to your avatar then.
Sort of. Though I keep my various aspects separate from each other as to preserve my privacy. People around where I live don't think too much of therians.

So I don't think that counts so much as a lifestyle....
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Can't say I see the appeal of the whole therian thing. Like Kitela and Inali said it's more of a symbolic than spiritual connection for me. But to each their own and such.....

Welcome Malkus, hope you enjoy it here.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I'm thinking on telling this girl at work about me being a furry. She's a good friend, and I strongly believe that I can trust her not to go around telling people. The interesting thing about it is that she seems to have an interest in things like anime and such that have to do with animals, so she may take a liking to the fandom. I'll never know until I tell her, I guess.

Hope I don't chicken out like I did when I went to tell my friend Jeff... Perfect setting, perfect timing, etc., and I blew it.
------------------

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Any reason you want her to know?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:Any reason you want her to know?
Well she's expressed interests similar to that of a person in the fandom. I also think she could possibly come into the fandom if I explain to her what it's all about.
------------------

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Inali wrote:I'm thinking on telling this girl at work about me being a furry. She's a good friend, and I strongly believe that I can trust her not to go around telling people. The interesting thing about it is that she seems to have an interest in things like anime and such that have to do with animals, so she may take a liking to the fandom. I'll never know until I tell her, I guess.

Hope I don't chicken out like I did when I went to tell my friend Jeff... Perfect setting, perfect timing, etc., and I blew it.

I'd avoid it personally, but then again I have no idea what this girl is like so it's kinda hard to say, good luck if you decide to go through with it.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Yeah, I really wouldn't just say to someone someone that you're a furry. If it's really necessary... just maybe mention that you take interest in anthropomorphic arts? Then explain from there?

I think if I just told one of my friends that I was a furry they wouldn't take me seriously about it, at all. :lol:
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I need to come up with some exact words to say to her. I'm definately not going to just straight up say, "hey, I'm a furry."
------------------

Malkus

Post by Malkus »

Inali wrote:I need to come up with some exact words to say to her. I'm definately not going to just straight up say, "hey, I'm a furry."
Exactly. Ease your way into it. Otherwise, gods know how they'll react.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just make sure you're being calm and casual about it.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Kitela wrote:Yeah, I really wouldn't just say to someone someone that you're a furry. If it's really necessary... just maybe mention that you take interest in anthropomorphic arts? Then explain from there?

I think if I just told one of my friends that I was a furry they wouldn't take me seriously about it, at all. :lol:
Same here :lol:
I've said some pretty ridiculous things to get a laugh so it'd just be par for the course
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Next chance I get I'll try to tell her. Can't say when that'd be, though. And Sleet's right, staying cool and collected when talking to someone about being a furry is key. I'll try to be as casual as possible.
------------------

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

I wish you the best in it Inali. I like to think when approached right, people can be accepting with just about anything. Especially if they are a real friend to you.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sparky wrote:I wish you the best in it Inali. I like to think when approached right, people can be accepting with just about anything. Especially if they are a real friend to you.
Thanks, Sparky. I have a feeling that my friend will accept me being a furry. And who knows, she may think it's cool.
------------------

Malkus

Post by Malkus »

Inali wrote:
Sparky wrote:I wish you the best in it Inali. I like to think when approached right, people can be accepting with just about anything. Especially if they are a real friend to you.
Thanks, Sparky. I have a feeling that my friend will accept me being a furry. And who knows, she may think it's cool.
I long for the day when that happens.......

Of course, I've got to find someone to trust first. :lol:
legendario13

Have You ever?

Post by legendario13 »

I didnt know that being a furry was such a big change.

I mean, (i know is kind of a cliche) just be yourself. Is what you are and what you like.

Plus, if you keep making it look like something extrange or weird, people will take it just like that.

Dont worry inali, just bring the topic casually.
If she shows to be intrested she will ask.
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Well, Inali. If you think your friend would be interested in the furry fandom, than good luck to you.

The more I think about it, I think one of my friends would actually be interested in it as well. He's obsessed with anime and other types animation and every time I tell him I'm reading a comic he always wants in on it.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Inali wrote:I'm thinking on telling this girl at work about me being a furry. She's a good friend, and I strongly believe that I can trust her not to go around telling people. The interesting thing about it is that she seems to have an interest in things like anime and such that have to do with animals, so she may take a liking to the fandom. I'll never know until I tell her, I guess.

It's really not such a big deal that you need to inform friends. It's like me telling people I watch birds.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The reaction would probably be akin to telling people I obsess over emergency vehicles and warning equipment.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It would probably be similar to if I told people that I destroy people's hopes, dreams and self esteem.

Wait what.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:It would probably be similar to if I told people that I destroy people's hopes, dreams and self esteem.

Wait what.
I thought you were a good person, Sleet.
------------------

The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Soooooo guys, I commissioned a guy on FA, and I ended up with a free pic,
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7654438/
http://www.furaffinity.net/view/7654346/
I like it myself.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Snazzy!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

No, SCIENCEY!
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
CR4CK3RW0LF

Post by CR4CK3RW0LF »

you know.. i think id be more surprised to find people who arent furry that like housepets.. :/

me? well since sonic, pokemon, digimon, starfox, and disney were a huge part of my life growing up.. id say my furriness is pretty justified. xD

for my OC's, ones a Wolf-Husky Hybrid named Wulfbang, and the other is a Hyena-Wolf Hybrid named Skoll (yeah i like wolves.. canines are where my loyalties lie!) both with some interesting stories that im just too muffins and cookies lazy to write out. T_T

im also an artist, but im my own worst critic and my procrastination levels are astounding so there isnt much in my gallery on DA.
"its not toilet water.. Its most definately root beer, i swear officer! D:"
Malkus

Post by Malkus »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Soooooo guys, I commissioned a guy on FA, and I ended up with a free pic,
I like it myself.
It looks something like my phenotype, except mine is brown currently with his summer coat.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Soooooo guys, I commissioned a guy on FA, and I ended up with a free pic,
I like it myself.
Nice! I like it. x3