No
25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Alastair

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Alastair »

Kitela wrote:I think a partial fursuit would be a lot more comfortable and affordable, but then again it would be more difficult to hide that I'm a furry.
There would be no hiding if you had a partial. :lol:

I can't stand being uncomfortable for extended periods of time, and if I were going to go to a con or meet, I'd wear a partial for sure.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I've noticed a furry group that's been walking around the mall near(ish) my house every Saturday afternoon. It's just maybe four or five of them wearing their ears and tails. Actually, there's probably more of them/they probably wear more than the tails and ears, but I try not to stare rudely. After all, me wearing an Areopostal sweatshirt might give them the vibe that I'm just a judgmental jerk. :P It's kind of the same parallel as walking into Hot Topic wearing all stereotypical Areo, American Eagle, and Abercrombie wear. :P

Of course I'm not actually a jerk, I wear what's warm and comfortable, but the stereotypes do exist.
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
RennisTora

Post by RennisTora »

< . <

> . >

o 3 o Okay so yes I am, no I don't suit nor have I actually been to a con (though I'd like to at least once).
For species I'd be put down as a Siberian Tiger.
"It seemed like a good idea at the time?..."
"I do my all my own stunts~ (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ "
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Hmm... well in the sense that I can appreciate the art, yes. But the whole suit thing, no. Not something I've ever really thought too heavily on.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Sleet wrote:I can't really get a partial, sadly, 'cause my fursona is usually naked.
White Felt Paper, problem solved.
Sparky wrote:Hmm... well in the sense that I can appreciate the art, yes. But the whole suit thing, no. Not something I've ever really thought too heavily on.
Well Fursuiting seems to be another level of the fandom, probably there around the same level like cosplay. So you don't need to be in, or even like, a fursuit to be a furry.

And while I've never worn a fursuit, I kind of understand the feeling of being in a costume.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Sparky wrote:Hmm... well in the sense that I can appreciate the art, yes. But the whole suit thing, no. Not something I've ever really thought too heavily on.
Well Fursuiting seems to be another level of the fandom, probably there around the same level like cosplay. So you don't need to be in, or even like, a fursuit to be a furry.

And while I've never worn a fursuit, I kind of understand the feeling of being in a costume.[/quote]

Good point. From that perspective, i would say yes then if only a bit if that makes sense. :P
Last edited by Sparky on Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrispy

Post by Chrispy »

I am a furry by my own personal definition, but I'm not sure I would meet others definitions >.>

I enjoy the fandom and the art, and many other things about the fandom, however I don't really consider myself part animal/have the spirit of an animal or creature other than human. I don't wear a fursuit, have a fursona, or go to cons either. I have no problem with those who do, but it's not really my thing. in fact, this is really the most "furry" forum that I've been a part of!
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Chrispy wrote:I am a furry by my own personal definition, but I'm not sure I would meet others definitions >.>

I enjoy the fandom and the art, and many other things about the fandom, however I don't really consider myself part animal/have the spirit of an animal or creature other than human. I don't wear a fursuit, have a fursona, or go to cons either. I have no problem with those who do, but it's not really my thing. in fact, this is really the most "furry" forum that I've been a part of!
Well our definitions of being furry is not that much different. For me, from what I've learned, a furry is simply anyone who can appreciate the art or thought of anthropomorphic animals - fur, scale or skin alike.

You don't need to have a fursuit, fursona or even a pet ( just kidding ) go to furry conventions to be furry.
Sparky wrote:Good point. From that perspective, i would say yes then if only a bit if that makes sense. :P
Nothing wrong with that, I used to consider myself a net-furry (furry only in the internet) until some time ago. Then I realized how ironic that is. :P
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

I like wolves and fluffly stuffs and the art of course would that count as been furry? (i just voted 'NO' :cry: ).
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

legendario13 wrote:I like wolves and fluffly stuffs and the art of course would that count as been furry? (i just voted 'NO' :cry: ).
It depends on how you want to define being a furry. There are furs that JUST like anthropomorphic art etc., and that's it.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

legendario13 wrote:I like wolves and fluffly stuffs and the art of course would that count as been furry? (i just voted 'NO' :cry: ).
Well, I don't want to say someone is furry just because they like fluffy stuffs...

Wolves on the other hand CAN count but do remember that the furry fandom covers >anthropomorphic animals< and not animals in general. This means that furries are those who appreciate the idea or image that an animal can have human-like features. So intelligible speech (any language) walking on two legs, hands vs. paws, palntigrade vs. digitigrade are some of the things that considers for anthropomorphism.

On a side note, zoomorphic humans also counts as part of the fandom but werewolves are a special case if I remember correctly.

So yeah, you MAY be furry but it depends on how you like your wolves.

On another sidenote, enjoying comics like Housepets! doesn't automatically make you a furry.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Mmmmm who would think this is more complex than just wearing a tail and paw-boots. (This gal in my school... :lol: ) i will think it over a good night of sleep....

thanks for the guidence by the way!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It's actually not all that complicated. Being a furry isn't nearly as specific as some think!

Oh, by the way, fursuiting is the same level as cosplaying because fursuiting is cosplaying. You're just cosplaying as your own personal character usually.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Sleet wrote:Being a furry isn't nearly as specific as some think!
= w=. . .
Sleet wrote:Oh, by the way, fursuiting is the same level as cosplaying because fursuiting is cosplaying. You're just cosplaying as your own personal character usually.
Just like Southpaw is a Boxing stance.

Fursuiting is simply a more specific kind of cosplaying.

Strange why there's no noodlesuiting when there are so many noodle promoters.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Fursuiting is creepy.

inb4 how dare you have an opinion.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Not really, opinions are welcome...

Though I do need to ask what's creepy for crawling into a skin?

No wait, that came out wrong.

It's just another set of clothes, what's wrong with fursuiting?
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

I know what I'm thinking is what probably most furries don't do in those suits, but whenever someone says fursuit, I think of it.

Can't really say here.

But anyways, I guess partial suits (with, say, just a tail with ears or without) would be somewhat cute, but that would depend on who it is on.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

How dare you have an opinion!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Opinions are fine, though it's usually preferable that they not overly generalize the people you're applying them to. Just a thought. ;3;
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Private Elliot wrote:I know what I'm thinking is what probably most furries don't do in those suits, but whenever someone says fursuit, I think of it.

Can't really say here.

But anyways, I guess partial suits (with, say, just a tail with ears or without) would be somewhat cute, but that would depend on who it is on.
i know what you mean.... It's something that usualy happens with most of people, dont know why.
Is like if the people relates fursuiting = perverted people or .... you know.
(there was i time when that happened to me too)
Oooorrr they are a perverts that think wrong of people who fursuits. :?
(great now i became confused by my own statement,im a pervert?)

More researching is required.......

(by the way. i dont think im a furry, i like anthropomorphic art and things like that but, i just dont consider myself a furry [at least not yet]).
Dang! this is difficult.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

legendario13 wrote:
Private Elliot wrote:I know what I'm thinking is what probably most furries don't do in those suits, but whenever someone says fursuit, I think of it.

Can't really say here.

i know what you mean.... It's something that usualy happens with most of people, dont know why.
Is like if the people relates fursuiting = perverted people or .... you know.
(there was i time when that happened to me too)
Oooorrr they are a perverts that think wrong of people who fursuits. :?
(great now i became confused by my own statement,im a pervert?)

More researching is required.......
To refer to something someone in the furry community once said. . .
"I don't know why people think badly of furries in fursuits, but if they think furries go into suits to do "that" then I dare them to wear a suit and see do it."
Not the exact words but it's just saying about something that is a little in the common sense department.

Fursuiters are just as scary as the next guy in a full-body costume. You're scared they might overheat, lose their balance, or what they look like ( beneath that suit or not) .
legendario13 wrote:(by the way. i dont think im a furry, i like anthropomorphic art and things like that but, i just dont consider myself a furry [at least not yet]).
Dang! this is difficult.
It's just like a title you can wear proudly or hide in the back of the closet. You don't need to be a furry to be welcome here so don't you worry. o w~ b
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

We love furries and non-furries alike!

Also, people who abuse fursuits are actually extremely rare. Those costumes are not practical for that kind of thing.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Thank you guys, always understanding!

And about that.
(i know that sometimes i can be annoying but)
I really want to know where this thing started, this way of thinking.
is a social stigma? is an unconsious reaction?
Why this happens, collective unconcious? or tragic past events warnigs?

psychiatrist mode ACTIVATED. :D
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well humans have always felt ties to animals. They live in our houses, they're part of our farms, they're outside our windows, and so on. Humans also have a tendency to like anthropomorphize things. Who here has talked to their dog? Who here has named their car? Furries are just the people who take this broad human idea and go a little further, specifically seeking out fictional media that feature the idea that "human" and "person" aren't necessarily synonymous.
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

legendario13 wrote:Thank you guys, always understanding!

And about that.
(i know that sometimes i can be annoying but)
I really want to know where this thing started, this way of thinking.
is a social stigma? is an unconsious reaction?
Why this happens, collective unconcious? or tragic past events warnigs?

psychiatrist mode ACTIVATED. :D
What mindset are you talking about. I can think of 5 that you might be asking but 3 of them I can't even type here. o 3o. . .
( for reasons rather obvious. Rating. )
legendario13

Re: Favorite Pictures

Post by legendario13 »

@sleet : yes those ties are especial with animals, and everybody feel them, well most of people. but what about the other side?
wich takes me...

@hypergenesis... and everybody in general :
I just want to know why some people (because is not all) feels or thinks of
furries as weird people, or relates them to (i dont know if is appropiate, so if its not, erase it please) --->sexual activities or weird philias.
And looking trougth the internet (the knoledge is dangerous sometimes) i found on youtube a video of G4 about furries.
It seem to be everything 'ok' until they started to talk about /\ that, and showing graphical (really graphical!) pictures and explaning how the furries werent atracted to /\ that! that only some of them and Etc Etc..
I was like "who did ask you for that! :x
THANK YOU! THANK YOU A LOT FOR LEAVING A NICE IMPRESSION OF FURRIES! *%$&/&%$&!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Do not become a furry just because you like this comic.
You are not required to do anything. Just because you consider yourself to be a furry does not mean you have to follow all their antics.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Wanderer wrote:Do not become a furry just because you like this comic. You are not required to do anything.

Agreed. Liking this comic doesn't necessarily make one a furry. There are plenty of non-furs on this forum, and that's not counting the people who stick to commenting on the strips themselves or don't comment at all.
Wanderer wrote:Just because you consider yourself to be a furry does not mean you have to follow all their antics.
I really hope this doesn't mean what I think it means. Because it sounds an awful lot like you're trying to negatively stereotype furries.

Again.
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

A proclaimed furry needn't participate in every activity furries are associated with. They may choose to participate solely on the activities they find interest in.

Also, please do not feel like you have to respond to all my posts.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

LOOK GUYS A PASSIVE AGRESSIVE FIGHT

Furry is a pretty broad definition you could fit almost anyone under it, it really just comes down to if you're comfortable identifying yourself as one.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Seth wrote:Furry is a pretty broad definition you could fit almost anyone under it, it really just comes down to if you're comfortable identifying yourself as one.
The poll question is "Do you consider yourself a furry?" specifically for that reason.

Also, this is something that's been pointed out before, but bears repeating-
bringing up something by saying "I'm not going to talk about this" multiple times is the exact opposite of not talking about it.
If you really don't want to talk about something in the fandom, talk about something else.
Sleet wrote:I can't really get a partial, sadly, 'cause my fursona is usually naked.
Buy a Fox tee and some white trackpants nobody will know the difference
Image Image
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

legendario13 wrote:@hypergenesis... and everybody in general :
I just want to know why some people (because is not all) feels or thinks of
furries as weird people, or relates them to (i dont know if is appropiate, so if its not, erase it please) --->sexual activities or weird philias.
And looking trougth the internet (the knoledge is dangerous sometimes) i found on youtube a video of G4 about furries.
It seem to be everything 'ok' until they started to talk about /\ that, and showing graphical (really graphical!) pictures and explaning how the furries werent atracted to /\ that! that only some of them and Etc Etc..
I was like "who did ask you for that! :x
THANK YOU! THANK YOU A LOT FOR LEAVING A NICE IMPRESSION OF FURRIES! *%$&/&%$&!
Ahh yes, that line of thought.

Well I myself don't know how it started, but if you will look at the situation, it's basically just like ANY misconception about a certain community.
So let's trace it back to its theoretical roots.
1) A (or a group of ) furry person(s) does something bizarre.
2) Said individual(s) shared the ( results of ) action with their friends.
3) One from said friends spreads the word ( from amazement, disgust or whatever feeling one may have to induce an urge to spread )
4) Action, being weird or unique in nature, catches the eye of some.
5) Further spreading.
6) Eventually rumor reaches a "sensitive" individual.
7) "Sensitive" individual shares with other "sensitive" friends.
8) Society moves with respect to how "sensitive" group reacts to the action.

And basically that's how it goes. People over-react to one case and quickly generalize it to the population because it's very "memorable".
and so I go to spoilers as well, Just as with the 9/11 case, there were a lot of opposition towards the other ethnicity despite them not all of them being the same.. That's "basically" it.

(( Other's may add in more detail if possible, I'm in a bit of a rush at the time of this posting. ))
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Sleet wrote:We love furries and non-furries alike!

Also, people who abuse fursuits are actually extremely rare. Those costumes are not practical for that kind of thing.
From what i understand, those things are quite expensive as well. Can't really see someone paying lots of money for something like that then ruining it.(betting they're near impossible to wash so need to be careful)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Alright, let's get off that topic before it goes too far. XP

Yes, what you said is right. A good but unremarkable fursuit will run between 1000 and 1500 US dollars, and they're very difficult to clean. So fursuiters tend to be protective of them.
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Sleet wrote:Alright, let's get off that topic before it goes too far. XP

Yes, what you said is right. A good but unremarkable fursuit will run between 1000 and 1500 US dollars, and they're very difficult to clean. So fursuiters tend to be protective of them.
I was talking about paying outside right after the rain, what were you guys talking about? Best to not ask maybe. :shock: :P

I've never known anyone in person who dressed up (that i know of anyways) but with such a cost and difficulty in care i can see why. I do have a friend who likes to draw furry art and have seen him in the creative drawing process hence my appreciation for the style.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Hypergenesis wrote:Well I myself don't know how it started, but if you will look at the situation, it's basically just like ANY misconception about a certain community.
So let's trace it back to its theoretical roots.
1) A (or a group of ) furry person(s) does something bizarre.
2) Said individual(s) shared the ( results of ) action with their friends.
3) One from said friends spreads the word ( from amazement, disgust or whatever feeling one may have to induce an urge to spread )
4) Action, being weird or unique in nature, catches the eye of some.
5) Further spreading.
6) Eventually rumor reaches a "sensitive" individual.
7) "Sensitive" individual shares with other "sensitive" friends.
8) Society moves with respect to how "sensitive" group reacts to the action.

And basically that's how it goes. People over-react to one case and quickly generalize it to the population because it's very "memorable".
and so I go to spoilers as well, Just as with the 9/11 case, there were a lot of opposition towards the other ethnicity despite them not all of them being the same.. That's "basically" it.

(( Other's may add in more detail if possible, I'm in a bit of a rush at the time of this posting. ))
No, its ok, i think that would summarize a quite well scenario.
and theres nothing else we can do.
is the way people think (some of them) and it will always be.
so, better not to get involved.
Sparky wrote:I was talking about paying outside right after the rain, what were you guys talking about? Best to not ask maybe.
yeah, about that... it may be my fault :) ..... i think :|
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The more furries out there who are normal, pleasant people, the harder it is to stereotype us as anything else.
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

Yes you are right
More Good people Less misconception
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Sleet wrote:The more furries out there who are normal, pleasant people, the harder it is to stereotype us as anything else.
I've found that in any group there are "normal" ones and there are the few stereotypes that catch most of the attention and unfortunately tend to define a group in the eyes of the public. Knowing that, I try to keep an open mind and judge only in individual character than on group perception. There are good sides as well as bad no matter what group or way of thinking furry or otherwise.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That happens sometimes, but often people see furries expecting weirdos but they don't find them! Few things do as much for the fandom's image as furries hanging out at a restaurant or some other public place and being overall good patrons.