Sleet wrote:Mass Effect has a co-op?
Yes, the multiplayer is the co-op

Pet Friendly, Marshall : S-7 P-7 E-7 C-4 I-5 A-7 L-5
Pet Friendly, Natalia : S-4 P-7 E-5 C-9 I-7 A-5 L-5
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Sleet »

I never realized it even had a multiplayer.

Wow my friends are antisocial nerds then. I've got a few who are in love with Mass Effect but I've never seen them play together. o.o
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I think it's ME3 that has co-op. XP
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

yeah, the first two were only single player.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
exranio

Post by exranio »

Wait the PSP Vita cartridges are smaller than DS cartridges?
God help us all.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I actually liked how the PSP games were on Disks, it looked rather spiffy and set it apart from other handhelds. Only problem I had with the old PSP is that it did not have all to many games I cared much about. ^^; I think the first two Disgaea games and Ratchet and Clank: Size Matters were the main things I ever used the PSP for, and two of those were even released on different systems. Hope the Vita has a bigger library of games.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I may get a Vita in time. It looks really cool, but I don't know if I want to spend my money on something like that since I already have my Xbox.
I was thinking on getting Minecraft for my iPhone. It's like 2 dollars on the app store. I've never played Minecraft before, so I look forward to it.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I actually liked how the PSP games were on Disks, it looked rather spiffy and set it apart from other handhelds.
The issue is that not only are discs harder to keep in good condition, they also have loading times, which is really limiting for portable games.

One thing I dislike about the modern video game industry is almost no one has respect for the difference between PC, consoles and handhelds. Handhelds try to be consoles, and consoles try to be PCs, and the actual experiences handhelds and consoles excel at are being ignored. Nintendo seems to be the only one exempt from this, which I respect them for, but then again they're also doing some really weird stuff.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

exranio wrote:Wait the PSP Vita cartridges are smaller than DS cartridges?
God help us all.
Its crazy I know. Also I am sending this from my Vita and the interjet connection is much faster than the PSPs internet.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
The Grey Wolverine

Alright guys, I finally beat Metro 2033, and I got to say, one of my favorite games. The story is very well done with likable characters, the atmosphere is great, and the paranormal elements are eerie and mysterious as they should be. Now, onto what I don't like. The stealth is tedious and can be incredibly difficult at times because you not only have to worry about light, line of sight, and early warning traps, but things on the ground like glass and sand. Plus in these sections you can't see very well, so you have to risk using the flashlight to see the path. Still, I can get over that since the challenge is still there and boy, is the game satisfying in the end, plus when you go to The Dead City (Moscow) you are always in danger, running against the clock before you run out of filters in the gasmask, and I really can't explain why, but that urgency was just great. I recommend it but be warned! It can get frustrating, now to wait for Last Light.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
exranio

Post by exranio »

So does anyone here know whether SSX 2012 has offline multiplayer, because so far it's rather similar to Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010, and that game had only one problem no offline multiplayer.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It better. Offline multiplayer really is underused. Back in the old days before online was big, playing games with your friends was awesome. Nowadays if you want to be playing with your friends you better be in different houses entirely. I think that's stupid. I've got nothing against online, but can we please allow both? Especially since TVs are getting so much bigger. I have great memories of playing SSX Tricky with my friends.
exranio

Post by exranio »

I looked it up, apperantly it doesn't. but not by choice. Apperantly the mountains are so big and take up so much data that split screen gameplay would not be possible with the memory on Xbox and PS3. At least that's what I read. So in short,it's not possible.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

No, it is possible. They just chose making high-caliber graphics over an actual critical feature.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Sleet wrote:No, it is possible. They just chose making high-caliber graphics over an actual critical feature.
Agreed.

Gameplay and functionality should always come before graphics. But now that we have the capability for nice graphics, a ton of company's skimp on the other, more crucial parts of the game more and more often. And that is a problem. :|
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
exranio

Post by exranio »

Well I must say that the graphic intesnisty cmbined with the soundtrack, feeling, character animation, and frankly amazing gameplay in my opinion makes it an incredible single player experience nonetheless.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I don't think Graphics have ever realy had an effect on my decision to buy a game.

I mean they certainly mke the game better when done well, I just don't care enough to consider them a major factor.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I have to say that graphic quality was definately a factor in my deciding to get Forza 4.

Of course, as far as the simulation-style racing gameplay goes, this is the best.
Attachments
6020190224_3da8a5956e_z.jpg
6020190224_3da8a5956e_z.jpg (92.1 KiB) Viewed 7072 times
6009988836_8859498572_z.jpg
6009988836_8859498572_z.jpg (84.93 KiB) Viewed 7072 times
6009440251_8a6ebb4f97_z.jpg
6009440251_8a6ebb4f97_z.jpg (90.39 KiB) Viewed 7075 times
------------------

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Forza pretty much exists to be realistic. So graphics are kind of important there.

I like fancy graphics and I think they contribute to the game's experience, but when they sacrifice content for them, that's going too far.
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

Sleet wrote:Forza pretty much exists to be realistic. So graphics are kind of important there.

I like fancy graphics and I think they contribute to the game's experience, but when they sacrifice content for them, that's going too far.
For the most part, that is true. Some games can pull off great graphics and gameplay.
------------------

The Grey Wolverine

The way I think of graphics is this, its like icing on the cake. If a game is awesome, like Far Cry 2, it just makes the game that much more immersive and adds that final touch of sweetness to it. Now, in the case of Crysis 2, a game I absolutely hate, the graphics are its only saving grace, they look good but since the game is absolute crap otherwise, its the only nice thing about it. And if graphics are awful, that could affect my thoughts of weather to buy it or not, since I think it shows that last bit of effort and care put into a game. But, if a game only puts care into having some halfway decent graphics with a boring story that drags on for to long, un interesting characters, no originality, a vast downgrade from the previous title, sorry small Crysis 2 rant here, someday I'll review it in detail, than it becomes just "LOOK ITS SO PERTY!" As opposed to "This game looks and plays very well and feels well polished." Because that's what amazing graphics should be, that last bit of polish.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Inali wrote:
Sleet wrote:Forza pretty much exists to be realistic. So graphics are kind of important there.

For the most part, that is true. Some games can pull off great graphics and gameplay.
Right. You first focus on making the game fully functional and fun. Then, you work on the graphics. If your console can't handle offline multiplayer and super-fancy graphics, the polygon count should be cut. Not an entire feature that allows people to play with friends who don't live miles away.
exranio

Post by exranio »

It's funny that you used Crysis 2 as an example, because before that Crysis one was one of the ultimate examples in graphics and every one I knew who played that figured it was a really amazing game.

But again I can forgive SSX and Need For SPeed becuase to me the single player is amazing, might be a bit of nostalgia in there as well, but still both are very fun to play.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm sure they are fun. But less fun than they could be, which is my issue.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I'm one of those who feels that as long as the graphics do not strain my eyes and I can actually tell what things are, I am alright with it.
It is very true that the game itself is what is important. That being said, it feels like back in the days of the SNES and Genesis, producers put a lot more effort into game-play more than graphics due to all the graphical limitations.

Ohh the golden era......when they could even make great games using the 7-Up dot and the Mc Donalds Clown. Now-a-days, they tried it with the Burger King.....but that did not go so well.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think we're approaching a second golden era, at least with PC games. Graphical power is going to start to plateau and people are going to stop caring so much. If you want your game to look almost like real life, you can, and it won't be anything special. So you can't sell a game with graphics. Once we get to that point, I think gameplay will start to take priority again.

In the past, gameplay took priority because realism was impossible. In the future, gameplay might take priority because realism isn't out of the ordinary.
The Grey Wolverine

I really can't wait for that time, but we still will probably have gimmicky concepts try to sell more games.

Just a little fun thing to try if you ever are playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent, play this song in the background:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWM2joNb9NE
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

exranio wrote:It's funny that you used Crysis 2 as an example, because before that Crysis one was one of the ultimate examples in graphics and every one I knew who played that figured it was a really amazing game.

But again I can forgive SSX and Need For SPeed becuase to me the single player is amazing, might be a bit of nostalgia in there as well, but still both are very fun to play.
I too am disappointed in the fact that Need for Speed doesn't have offline multiplayer... Still a pretty good game, none the less.
------------------

Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Seth wrote:I don't think Graphics have ever realy had an effect on my decision to buy a game.

I mean they certainly mke the game better when done well, I just don't care enough to consider them a major factor.
Agreed, but I have actually refused to buy some games based on the graphics were too good. I have the mentality that the more elaborate the graphics are, the more mind-bendingly hard the gameplay will be. Now, I like a good challenge, but if I can't go two minutes without dying, there will be a problem. And of course I know that elaborate graphics don't always mean elaborate gameplay, it's just a little mentality of mine.

Last week I saw a commercial for PokePark 2. All I could think was that if it's a carbon-copy of the first game, it's going to be a total waste of plastic, paper, and Wii discs. Goodness I hated that game. XD
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
The Grey Wolverine

So guys, while I was playing Payday: The Heist (free weekend on steam), I sort of reached a conclusion, and that was plain and simply, the game is okay, and being okay is really the worst thing a game can be. Now just hear me out on this one, bad games can be enjoyable in moderation, I think Flint would agree here, and good games are, well, good. You can enjoy both for different reasons, but an okay game is just that, okay, and its not like its amusing to play for just how bad it is, and its not really like catnip where you keep wanting MORE like it is with good games, and they aren't worthwhile to review, so I personally don't like them. What are your thoughts?
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Yo, Payday is cool with friends dawg.

But I agree, it did lack replayability quickly for me. There has been talk of a DLC, though. And if it is free, I won't eat any bacon for a week.

Also PC version best version.
The Grey Wolverine

PC version only version
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

PC version is always the best version unless it's a game that benefits from the advantages of consoles (the particular style of controller, or offline multiplayer).
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Sleet wrote: (the particular style of controller
USB controllers. You can easily use a PS3 or an 360 controller as one.
Sleet wrote:offline multiplayer
LAN. All you need is a router, even if it doesn't have internet. Done that plenty of times.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They don't make USB Wii controllers.

LAN requires everyone having a computer in the same room and a copy of the game. Offline multiplayer requires one console, one game.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Or the case of selective games the straight up perform worse on PC.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Sleet wrote:
LAN requires everyone having a computer in the same room
Not really, no. As long as they're connected to the same network.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

When it comes to graphics I prefer style over realism.

Not like I'll ever have the most realistic graphics anyway, as I'm always gonna prefer console over PC.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Heck yeah style! Many of these ultra-realistic video games are like those heavy metal guitarists who don't play with any skill other than the ability to play a ton of notes really fast. They don't realize that technical skill/powerful computers just increase your options for artistic expression. They don't require you pushing them to the limit constantly.
Tiggy wrote:
Sleet wrote:
LAN requires everyone having a computer in the same room
Not really, no. As long as they're connected to the same network.
But then why is it any different than online? I'm talking about a real, in-person social experience. You can't have that with PCs unless a bunch of people bring computers to the same room. And then you either have to play games laptops can handle, or fit towers and monitors into one room. And it also gets hot when there's 6+ people and 6+ computer towers in one room.