Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

exranio

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by exranio »

Blaz Blue Continnuum Shift extend came out to day, and yet my gamestop didn't have it.

Raaaaaaaggeeeee!
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

exranio wrote:Raaaaaaaggeeeee!
No no no, that's another game entirely. :p
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Roommate just bought a copy of FIFA10

We don't even like soccer but man this game is awesome!
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

So who else is super excited for Frictional Games new game?
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
exranio

Post by exranio »

New friday night fights, yay!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGGfieMWYq0
The new 8th character Double (Mike Z) and Vlentine/Fillia (Render)
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

So today's discussion i thought: Pokemon-esque games that you remember in the era they were many?

And try to refrain from saying Digimon and Monster Rancher :D

I'm talking about games that were awesome and never got much light because of how silly they sounded at times, like Dragon Seed. What a awesome game that was. I played it alot. I wanted my Saurian to grow up wielding the coolest sword and shield in that game, and it was the only monster game i loved the most because it actually had swords and shields, but a very sloppy battle system. You could only attack, use your breath certain amount of times in a fight, or reflect with your shield (and it wouldn't block a regular attack either.)

But yes. Growing Dragons was awesome, and you didn't have to always grow dragons either, as shown in the video.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
exranio

Post by exranio »

Just wanna say, Shin megami tensie did the whole capture enemy monsters to your side thing first.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The first game i ever felt that actually started off the whole monster capturing idea was Ogre Battle. Although it was an army game, you could only recruit monsters by finding them in the wild. Back then, i never knew of Persona and the other series XD
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Roommate just bough UFC undisputed 3
Wow
Even if you don't care for MMA it stands well on it's own as a very technical fighting game.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

NO ONE in here that cares about horror? D: < I see how it is :C ya'll boring! *shot*
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

I am sure the people on the IRC like horror Tiggy. I am probably the one who cares about it the least, but horror I am sure is kinda a like it or you hate it kinda deal.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Yeah, I know you're not a big fan but there must be someone in here that is a little bit interested in horror!

I mean, frictional games, the masterminds behind Amnesia and the Penumbra games are going to release a new title within a year!
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

Really? I remember playing Amnesia! I loved it!
I hated the puzzles but... well what is it called?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I played many horror games. Resident Evil being the favourite until 5.

Then we got Silent Hill, Left 4 Dead =D
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Horror games are bad for me, but I love them anyway. XD I'm the kind of person who spent a half hour hiding in a little shack in the beginning of Resident Evil 4 because I could hear the villagers shouting at me from around the corner. I didn't want to come out for fear of getting massacred, so I just kinda sat there trying to build up the courage to move on.

Then I played Amnesia... a game that's actually supposed to be scary. And my god does it do it's job well. That game freaked the mess outta me. :p I've never played the Penumbra games, but they look pretty intense too.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

GameCobra wrote:I played many horror games. Resident Evil being the favourite until 5.
I know, which sucks because RE4 is my favorite in the series, still, 6 shows promise, I mean they have Chris Redfield and Leon Scott Kennedy in the same game. I can't link the trailer here though for some, obvious reasons.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Honestly, Amnesia is one of my favourite gaming experiences I've ever had.

No game has ever made me feel so much emotion.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Tiggy wrote:No game has ever made me feel so much emotion.
Final Fantasy VI.

Celes.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Haven't played finaly fantasy. XP
FlintTheSquirrel

Sleet wrote:
Final Fantasy VI.

Celes.
The ending of Klonoa. ;-;
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

I'm not against horror, but I've never really played any horror games.
Sleet wrote:
Final Fantasy VI.

Celes.
Imagine Party Babyz Wii
Image Image
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Oh,yes. how can i forget one of my all-time favourite horror games alongside Resident Evil?

Clock Tower. Mwahahahaha! *scissors clapping loudly*
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I gotta ask; did you ever try Amnesia or the Penumbra games?
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

I love horror games RE4 and deadspace 1-2 being my favorites. I dont like RE5 cause no matter what im always out of ammo. Does black ops zombies count as horror?
The Grey Wolverine

I didn't like RE5 because it wasn't scary, I know how to conserve ammo well in Resident Evil, but the fact that it wasn't scary was a huge problem to me. Dead Space 1 I prefer over 2, the guns behave better, and the game just feels less interesting banana, I felt more responsible for my deaths in the first one, but I can't tell why, still, DS2 did really do horror well for the first few hours, than I stopped having moments of fear, it was still a good action game, but I think it wasn't a very good horror game.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Randomextra

Post by Randomextra »

Both RE5 and DS2 were more in your face action than horror. Part one freaked me out. RE4 also had better variety of zombies. Now im waiting for eiher operation raccon city or RE6.
The Grey Wolverine

I'm waiting for both, it finally seems that they are updating the controls so YAY.

Review here on Dead Island: Dead Island is a survival horror game with more ambition than it actually delivers on gameplay in the singleplayer, the multiplayer is really good if you have a party of friends working together, than its full potential, the multiplayer works well and finally the game stops being "hit zombie, hit zombie, hit zombie, broken bat, new bat, rinse and repeat." Its dull, really dull until you get to the city, but that takes so long that you could lose interest in the game by that time. The story is stupid and unnecessary, the one in Dead Rising actually is decent, its simple and executed in an alright, but still, Dead Island's story is over complicated, and dull. The "horror" is in no way scary, its again, dull. And here is my biggest problem, the graphics, and I'll explain why. The game Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood was made previously by the same company that brought DI, and it has nice graphics and a good execution, and that's the thing, Dead Island's graphics look like they were from the original X-box or early 360, not in a time with games like Skyrim. My rating is a 4/10. I don't think a 4 is terrible, that's a needs improvement, I would have said its a 5 which I conciser average except the story is so overly complicated. Well, that's my $0.02.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Ugh. Dead Island was awwwwful. :/

It had so much hype leading up to it's release, but it honestly flopped in just about every way possible. I'm not sure what you mean about the graphics though, that was essentially its only saving grace (not that it saved much). The world looked incredible, but the gameplay got stale very quickly, and as you said, the story was muddled at best, and just plain ridiculous at worst.

The idea behind it was solid, but the execution was lackluster to say the least. A friend of mine was actually debating between buying Dead Island or Dead Rising 2 half way through the college semester last year (a week or two after DI came out), and I recommended DR2 because it seemed to have a lot more potential for replay value, and we weren't sure if DI actually *had* multiplayer. As it turned out, the only multiplayer it has is online (which is stupid), and it got boring real quick. Needless to say, she returned it within a few months (after not playing it for 75% of that time).

Dead Island had a ton of potential to be a really cool game, but it was just done all wrong. If anyone is considering buying it right now, save yourself the 30 bucks (?), or whatever it is now, and don't. Just don't.
The Grey Wolverine

What I mean by the graphics is that they are a downgrade from a previous game they had made, plus, they arent even that good to begin with, not awful, but still, a downgrade from Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood.
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Well, that's debatable. I don't know enough about graphics to be able to pick out differences between those two games. But what I don't need expertise to pick out are the vast improvements of DI versus old Xbox games, and even the early 360 games. When the Xbox 360 was first released, the best games we had, graphically, were things like Oblivion, the first Gears of War game, and CoD 2. And it's very easy to see how bad the textures are in those games by comparison.

The character models are vastly improved, water effects, background textures, and lighting have all come a loooooooooong way since those games were made.

Is it the best? No. But it is definitely one of the nicer looking games that's come out in recent years. Like I said, I can't really say anything on the DI vs CoJ:BiB thing, but to compare it to even old 360 games is just silly.
The Grey Wolverine

True, still, if you compare the two games, Dead Island looks worse.
EchoFireant

Post by EchoFireant »

And the ME3 demo convinced me to buy the collectors edition despite me wanting to wait for the trilogy pack. Feels good playing with a bunch of your friends overcoming the odds in the co-op (Gold Challenge)

Pet Friendly, Marshall : S-7 P-7 E-7 C-4 I-5 A-7 L-5
Pet Friendly, Natalia : S-4 P-7 E-5 C-9 I-7 A-5 L-5
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Mass Effect has a co-op?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Guild wars 2 beta signups are open! https://beta.guildwars2.com/ (This was posted from their official facebook, not a scam.)
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Tiggy wrote:Guild wars 2 beta signups are open! https://beta.guildwars2.com/ (This was posted from their official facebook, not a scam.)
"Step 1: Your PC Hardware Specs"

Awww sugar muffin.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

That is kind of required in any beta. XP
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I know. My PC is just awful at playing games because the video card is garbage. Everything else about it is apparently well above the minimum specs for the best games out there. So I always get bummed out for stuff like this because I'd LOVE to get in on the Beta; it looks awesome!
FlintTheSquirrel

Awright. Finally they are moving that game. It has been like 4 years in waiting to my knowledge. ^^; It is one of the most balanced games, as well as unbalanced, but it is still great fun. :3 Pay once, and you are set for good.
The Grey Wolverine

Alright guys so a short overview/first impressions of the PS Vita. The system itself is actually good the one game I have (Uncharted: Golden Abyss) plays very well and feels responsive, it actually takes a decent advantage of motion controls and the touch screen, so far its a solid system especially for the $80 I paid )most of the money came from trade ins) for you acheivable hunters/trophy hunters the Vita has trophies in it so that's cool. Now, the games are on little cartratiges, smaller than ones in DSs, and the memory cards are 1/4th the size of the memory cards used in the PSP, even the 4 gig one I got is about the size of the nail on my pinkeye.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Oh good, they learned that it's a dumb idea to put handheld games on discs!