Internet Censorship?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: Internet Censorship?

Post by Penwrite »

Sleet wrote:That's ridiculous. You can't copyright a chemical...
Nevertheless, that's what is going to happen. This goes beyond freedom of speech, or artistic creativity, or privacy. This is a matter of life and death, maybe even good versus evil.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sounds more like fear-mongering, to me.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Dissension wrote:Sounds more like fear-mongering, to me.
Sorry, need clarification. Do you mean what they're doing is fear-mongering, or what I'm doing is fear-mongering. If it's the latter than I deeply apologize, I only meant to make people angry, not scared.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I think he meant you're giving in to the fear-mongering of others, only getting angry instead of scared.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Is it actually happening, is what I'd like to know? Because if it's NOT, it's fearmongering. If it IS, we need to know.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I think he meant you're giving in to the fear-mongering of others, only getting angry instead of scared.
Ah, okay, thanks for the clarification, even if I don't particularly agree with the assessment. I'm only talking about stuff political analysts have picked out from the thing, not rumor or hearsay.

Also to answer your question Chewy, they've been working on it behind closed doors since at least 2006. There's an incredible ton of secrecy around the blasted thing, with nearly all requests to see the documents shot down for paltry reasons. Several governments, such as the United States and Canada, have already signed on for it, as well as Japan and entities such as the European Union. At least, this is what I've heard.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Okay, I've had enough of this. Quite a few people in this topic continue to espouse unfounded, extremely contentious claims without offering any kind of referencing to back up what they have been saying. This topic has always been borderline controversial, but allowed. This level of ridiculous over-exaggeration, however, is really making me question whether it's something that can really be supported here. Here is the actual text. Read it yourself and make your own conclusions. How can you say "not rumor or hearsay" and then go on to say "this is what I've heard"? Are you not clear on the definition of "hearsay"?

What you are doing is not just spraying controversy everywhere with no heed to the rule regarding "controversial issues outside of the context of the comic"; you are spreading such vehemently extreme controversy that I can see absolutely no possibility for any kind of positive discussion to result. I think that the posting of extreme viewpoints that only serve to provoke negative discussion and hatred exemplifies very well "creating an environment in which to flame others for their viewpoints".

It is entirely possible – and even productive – to discuss measures to stop ACTA or other similar agreements and legislation without spreading fear and anger. However, if people can't stop from spreading such things, then there is no way the topic can continue. Penwrite, you said yourself that you meant to make people angry. Since when was trying to make people angry ever considered acceptable behaviour on the Housepets forums?

Just in case everything I've said in this post hasn't been clear enough: stop posting such controversial statements or measures will be taken to end the topic and reprimand those involved in the controversy. This topic may be a very important one for many of us, but there are a multitude of other places to discuss it. The rules of the forums come first.

No punishment here, because this is just a public warning. It is public rather than private because I also want to ensure other people do not also continue doing the same thing. It needs to end.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Now, Image of comedic relief!
x3
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

The tune might change but the song remains the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnRhETxRj6A

Its all about control.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

Ebly wrote:Okay, I've had enough of this. Quite a few people in this topic continue to espouse unfounded, extremely contentious claims without offering any kind of referencing to back up what they have been saying.
I have given two refs, of wich one source you could actually download the the official PDF document explaining the censorship.
(People should just look a bit back...)
Penwrite got it pretty accurate and explained the same things my refs would explain.
As far as angry goes; anger is unavoidable when talking about something of this scale, so in a sense this topic should have been stopped the moment it got put up.
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)