Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

exranio

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by exranio »

so how fast can you die. Mane reason I don't like other FPSs as much is becuase you die so "realistlcly" in just a couple of bullets. I prefer getting to live a while.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

uncertain about Planetside 2, but in Planetside the fastest way to die is if you're in plain view of a tank, a plane/helicopter or you walk into a mine field. even if they don't one shot you, they can chase you around with vehicles without hassle. against another trooper? depending on what armor you got, at the highest with the Terrans mini-gun (shooting 10 bullets per second) is 15 shots, the NC is 3-5 with the jackhammer up close (it's a shotgun afterall) and 5-6 with the Lasher from the Vanu.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Kuro

Post by Kuro »

Just bought myself and my friend Killing Floor.

Great game. We played it for literally 10 hours straight without stopping. There's so many maps it's insane. Love this game. :3
<signature>
</signature>
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Kuro wrote:Just bought myself and my friend Killing Floor.

Great game. We played it for literally 10 hours straight without stopping. There's so many maps it's insane. Love this game. :3
Yea KF is a great game, came out right after L4D1 and blew it out of the water. Excellent updates thus far. Though it does get boring once you've played all the maps 20 times each plus.

I'm hoping Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition goes on sale on steam soon. I started playing the regular version and trying to learn the inputs. Decent amount of fun. Good when my internet is laggy, which is often.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Kuro

Post by Kuro »

There are so many maps. I've only played about 3 more than twice. Plus, there's custom maps and that always keeps things fresh.
<signature>
</signature>
exranio

Post by exranio »

I should be getting my 3rd PSP (short story but I don't care to tell it) soon. Then all the Final Fantasy Fighting Forever shall be mine!
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

Zelda on the Wii U... It's not a gritty version of Skyward Sword! XDDD LOL NEW ZELDA? PLEASE MIYAMOTO! PLEEEAAAASSSEEE!
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Trine is a pretty awesome game. :3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Anyone else watch competitive gaming? Its really interesting to see all the crazy stuff people do, especially in Team Fortress 2. The games are always action packed with air shots, ubers, and back caps. Check out eXtvESports and CommFT. They've got some excellent commentaries for TF2 and even some Quake Live and Starcraft 2 videos.
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Mareks

Post by Mareks »

zeekgenateer wrote:Anyone else watch competitive gaming? Its really interesting to see all the crazy stuff people do, especially in Team Fortress 2. The games are always action packed with air shots, ubers, and back caps. Check out eXtvESports and CommFT. They've got some excellent commentaries for TF2 and even some Quake Live and Starcraft 2 videos.
GAMER ARMY. You don't get more competitive then that.

So join up would ya' people o 3o!!
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

zeekgenateer wrote:Anyone else watch competitive gaming? Its really interesting to see all the crazy stuff people do, especially in Team Fortress 2. The games are always action packed with air shots, ubers, and back caps. Check out eXtvESports and CommFT. They've got some excellent commentaries for TF2 and even some Quake Live and Starcraft 2 videos.
A lot of my time is spent watching Starcraft 2. I absolutely love it. So much fun. The things those players can do...it's almost mind boggling.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Mareks wrote:
GAMER ARMY. You don't get more competitive then that.

So join up would ya' people o 3o!!
The site is pretty corny and poorly put together imo. I haven't ever seen a good large comp gaming community. If anyone's looking for TF2 pointers/tips, or learning how to rocket jump hit me up.
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

I love the ambasador in TF2 that way spys can get more range in thier attacks but ive never been able to pull off a rocket jump i keep exploding XD
it takes an idiot to do cool things that's why they're cool
soothing no?
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

For correct rocket jump usage:
move forward
look down at the ground
jump, fire and crouch at the same time (perfect timing means not all at the same time, but work on the basic form first)

as you improve try and only look down momentarily to fire a rocket at your feet and look up quickly again (very important to see where you're going). Rocket jumping is about mobility and gaining an advantage over your opponents. Only rocket jump when it does give you an advantage.

Later on work on strafing while jumping. Let go of W (or your move forward key) while you're in the air. While you're in the air hold move left or right, this will cause you to change direction in mid air. Strafing helps you correct your jump and land precisely. It also helps in preventing other people from airshotting you.

Later on experiment on where you shoot your rocket. It is helpful to use corners and walls to lengthen your jump. Also firing slightly behind you will cause you to do a long jump which does less damage, reduces the height of your jump, but increases the horizontal range.

I'm in the HP group (look for the avatar with the flag and the Tron picture). Hit me up if you want help.
ManaWolf

Post by ManaWolf »

I just got the valve complete pack on steam. I must say it was a pretty sweet deal.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

zeekgenateer wrote:For correct rocket jump usage:
move forward
look down at the ground
jump, fire and crouch at the same time (perfect timing means not all at the same time, but work on the basic form first)

as you improve try and only look down momentarily to fire a rocket at your feet and look up quickly again (very important to see where you're going). Rocket jumping is about mobility and gaining an advantage over your opponents. Only rocket jump when it does give you an advantage.

Later on work on strafing while jumping. Let go of W (or your move forward key) while you're in the air. While you're in the air hold move left or right, this will cause you to change direction in mid air. Strafing helps you correct your jump and land precisely. It also helps in preventing other people from airshotting you.

Later on experiment on where you shoot your rocket. It is helpful to use corners and walls to lengthen your jump. Also firing slightly behind you will cause you to do a long jump which does less damage, reduces the height of your jump, but increases the horizontal range.

I'm in the HP group (look for the avatar with the flag and the Tron picture). Hit me up if you want help.
It's also good to note the basic rocket jump!

Fire aiming down at the ground and jump at about the same time. It doesn't launch you as high as the rocket jump Zeek described, but it's easier to do, and can get you to most places you need to go, though only vertically.

Keep in mind, a successful rocket jump deals reduced self damage (and even more so reduced if you're using the Gunboats for your secondary weapon) so you won't blow yourself up. A crouch rocket jump, however, will often launch you high enough to take fall damage.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I would like to see what would happen if Valve issued an update that made rocket jumping as deadly as it would be in real life. Just to see people attempt it and be blown up.

And then fans would riot.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

That would make TF2 10000% better *shot*

harr harr, I would laugh though, bigtime. XD
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

hahahaha any tips on the spy or medic?
soothing no?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

For Medic, don't be afraid to use your syringe gun and bonesaw. the bonesaw is like any melee weapon and does alot of hurt. the Syringe gun isn't as powerful as the other classes, but it DOES do it's job. Just try not to outgun the other classes with it. As for the Uber, the Uber gives you 8 seconds of immunity and is used best for pushing forward on Offense against a seemless impossible zone and Defending spots that are eventually going to be overwhelmed. Pyros, Soldiers, Heavies and Demo men are best for this.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

thank you for those concepts there pretty good :D
soothing no?
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

The Uber, is the driving force of TF2. Ubering effectively can win a round, dropping uber is a sad depressing defeat. As a medic your job is to heal everyone, and also find someone who is competent enough to uber and heal more often than the others, called a pocket. That doesn't mean you shouldn't heal other people. When everyone is at full health and overhealed, just heal the pocket. When you get uber attempt to get your team to advance with it. The uber is only effective when used to kill the enemy team, or protect your team from the enemy. You can switch who you're healing while you have the Uber deployed. This will cause the uber effect from the last person you were healing to fade, but the new person's uber effect comes on almost instantly. Good medics heal multiple people during ubers.

The most important thing though, is pop it, don't drop it. If you are about to die use your uber! Your team is better off with you alive and slightly wasting your uber than you dead and your uber utterly wasted.

The spy is a difficult class. He has very little health, but he can do a great deal of damage to a team without coordination or spy sense. When you are disguised think about what someone on the opposite team would do. Running around with your team while disguised will give you away. I'd say learn how to spot a spy and then think about what they did wrong. There are plenty of spy movies on youtube you can watch.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

zeekgenateer wrote:
Kuro wrote:Just bought myself and my friend Killing Floor.

Yea KF is a great game, came out right after L4D1 and blew it out of the water. Excellent updates thus far. Though it does get boring once you've played all the maps 20 times each plus.
KF is a good game and all, but WHAT.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The only thing I know about that game is my Steam friends play it a lot.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

The first Left 4 Dead felt like a nicely put together, but empty game. Not hardly enough weapons and maps for a zombie apocalypse. And no melee weapons? How will I know that I have met the zombies in equal combat without it? Killing Floor provided that and a class system that kept you playing.
exranio

Post by exranio »

So we've gone over spies and Medics. But what about sniper advice?
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Almost finished up Infamous 2, but I shifted my GameFly account from 3 games to 2, so I had to send something back and given the other two games are RPGs i've barely dug into, Infamous 2 ended up being the one to go back.

Also picked up 3 games on PSN's summer sale.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Depends on how you play sniper. The way I play sniper is with the original sniper weapons. For sniping I hardly ever stay zoomed in prefering to scope and twitch fire (zoom in, quickly move the mouse ) to my target and fire. I know this playstyle has helped one of my other friends get better at sniper. The other thing is getting good at dodging. I sometimes crouch and jump around when being attacked as it throws most bad player's aim off. When playing against better people stutter stepping to the speed of their weapons is better (for example the scattergun only fires so fast. You can strafe left and right to the timing of when they can fire, throwing them off.) I also use the SMG because while I'm dodging a scout close in I can usually kill him with the SMG or a follow up kukri.

I wouldn't know good strategies for huntsman or jarate as I don't use them. *shakes fist at huntsman*
exranio

Post by exranio »

I found this on a youtube comment
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine aiming down a generic assault rifle's scope - forever."
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

That sounds poetic, heh...

Anyone knows about a car-combat game called Twisted Metal?
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

zeekgenateer wrote:The Uber, is the driving force of TF2. Ubering effectively can win a round, dropping uber is a sad depressing defeat. As a medic your job is to heal everyone, and also find someone who is competent enough to uber and heal more often than the others, called a pocket. That doesn't mean you shouldn't heal other people. When everyone is at full health and overhealed, just heal the pocket. When you get uber attempt to get your team to advance with it. The uber is only effective when used to kill the enemy team, or protect your team from the enemy. You can switch who you're healing while you have the Uber deployed. This will cause the uber effect from the last person you were healing to fade, but the new person's uber effect comes on almost instantly. Good medics heal multiple people during ubers.

The most important thing though, is pop it, don't drop it. If you are about to die use your uber! Your team is better off with you alive and slightly wasting your uber than you dead and your uber utterly wasted.
I see I never thought about the medic that way thanks a bunch :D

The spy is a difficult class. He has very little health, but he can do a great deal of damage to a team without coordination or spy sense. When you are disguised think about what someone on the opposite team would do. Running around with your team while disguised will give you away. I'd say learn how to spot a spy and then think about what they did wrong. There are plenty of spy movies on youtube you can watch.
soothing no?
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

shadowhaz: No problem. You might consider checking this out. It's a pro match with some commentary mentioning the uber. Another big part is at 17 minutes and 30 seconds. A team turns the round around (ha) with a great use of the ubercharge.

I really do love eXTelevision and their competitive 6v6 TF2 coverage. It's very fun to watch. They even have some highlander TF2 coverage which is great.

EDIT: Another great uber at 23:15.
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

0.0 epicness theres alot i can learn form this! you should be a teacher :D
Russiarules1 wrote:That sounds poetic, heh...

Anyone knows about a car-combat game called Twisted Metal?
OMG I love that game Im stoked to see the PS3 realse even though ai dun have a ps3
soothing no?
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Who doesn't love that game?! Well... many, but they don't count >.>
Yeah, Twisted Metal has been my favorite since I was 6! When I first heard it was going to come out (the new one), I was really exited and sad at the same time because in those days I had an XBox. Luckily, some months ago I switched PS3 for personal reasons.
The new Twisted Metal is coming this October 4th!!! :D
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

if you pre order dont you get Axel as a DLC?
soothing no?
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Yeah, but I never liked Axel, though.
I wonder why they did Axel as a DLC?
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

my faves are twister, Mr grim, grasshopper(even though i suck with her), and shadow from black
soothing no?
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

My all time favorite is Mr. Slam. I also like Sweet Tooth, Spectre and Roadkill.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

shadowhaz wrote:if you pre order dont you get Axel as a DLC?
Ugh, I hate in-game pre-order bonuses. I like when they give you tangible items.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

I really hate in-game store specific preorder bonuses. So I get shut off from content if I don't preorder or if I don't get it from the right store? It's the most frustrating thing ever.

In other news since Battlefield 3 won't be on Steam at all I will be buying it in dead tree/dino form, on a disc. I'd much rather buy from WorstBuy, than from a Gamestop or EA's Origin. Even then, I'll probably end up going to target or Walmart.