Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

angelusbr

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:There's a slider that allows you to turn off the 3D if you want.
They didn't tell me that...But I don't think I'm going to buy it anymore. Sure there are some games I wanted to play in the 3ds (such as pokemon and starfox). Maybe I'll wait some more for more games before buying it. I won't repeat the same mistake I did with my gameboy, which I bought for pokemon ONLY. XD
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
exranio

Post by exranio »

I don't see the point in waiting. We KNOW theres gonna be loads and loads of games on it. They just arnt all there yet. If you wait now when it does have all the agmes you want you may not be able to get the console then. So you should get it now.

And that's the lesson I learned with the PSP.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The only benefit of waiting is waiting for a price drop. But that won't be for a while, so if you can afford it now and plan on getting one in the relatively near future, now's as good a time as any.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sleet wrote:The only benefit of waiting is waiting for a price drop. But that won't be for a while, so if you can afford it now and plan on getting one in the relatively near future, now's as good a time as any.
not only that. I KNOW nintendo will release a better version with bigger screen, for example, sometime soon. Beside, what I meant with waiting for more games is that I want to wait for games that I might enjoy. To begin with I don't like mario, zelda or metroid. fighting games are only fun with friends to play with. And as fpr rpg, I still have the games of my psp library. I'll buy the 3ds if the rpg games (gameplay AND story) catch my interest.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

The other benefit of waiting is to see if the 3D effect is a gimmick or actually adds to gameplay. I am of the opinion that unless 3D becomes analogous with sci-fi level VR, 3D will remain a gimmick. Adding 3D effects has not revolutionized films, or even slightly improve them and I doubt it will add anything to games. It could be that the 3DS adds to the gaming experience, but for now I'm going to pass on this one. My money can be better spent elsewhere.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

3D is an optional gimmick, but it's not a distracting one. In a way, it's like surround sound.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Shake

Post by Shake »

I dunno, I often find 3D to be really distracting. The majority of 3D movies and TV shows I've seen (before I swore them off) looked like they were made from flickering cardboard cutouts.

And then there were, like, one and a half* movies where the 3D effect looked completely natural and real and thus became unnoticeable after the first five minutes.

*Avatar, for me, seemed to be frequently switching between these two modes.
You've shattered my mind and rearranged the pieces into something beautiful.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

At first it's going to be obnoxious, because movies are like "HEY I'M 3D LOOK AT ME." When the novelty wears off, it's going to be more natural; if you don't realize you're watching in 3D, that's a good thing. I think the only thing keeping 3D movies from being the future is the fact that most people don't want to have to wear glasses. The 3DS doesn't have this problem.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

The only 3d anything I've actually enjoyed was How to Train Your Dragon. 3DS seems a bit gimmicky to me, idk. I might try to get it, seeing as I lost my DS when I moved into an apartment.

Def gonna get Ocarina of Time if I get it. I never beat it when it was on N64. Heck, I haven't even finished Twilight Princess =(
exranio

Post by exranio »

The 3d is has 3d INTO the screen. This opens a brand new level in gameplay. Theres many things in games you should be able to see but can't because a telveision is only 2d while the images are 3d. The 3d will allow you to trun the screen or your head and allow you to see things you should be able to see.

Also why is gimmiky such a negative word. If you don't have a gimmk your just like everything else. Gimmiky is a good thing.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

I'll only be amased by 3d the moment it reaches the hologram level
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I hope we can skip holographic gaming and go directly to a helmet that directs our brain signals to make us believe we're actually in the game. Yay, theoretical Video Game discussion.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:a helmet that directs our brain signals
This sounds kinda creepy and Bradburian when you put it that way
Or any way
Sleet wrote:3D is an optional gimmick, but it's not a distracting one. In a way, it's like surround sound.
Depending on how it's used... it can be REALLY distracting if used or produced badly.
Image Image
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

CaptainPea wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:a helmet that directs our brain signals
This sounds kinda creepy and Bradburian when you put it that way
Or any way
indeed. especially when you think it would be connected to the internet for MMORPGs. Hackers. there would have to be a separate component to keep you in sleep paralysis while you play.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

So i been thinking: Anyone here play Browser-based RPG games?

I love Zombie games, but one in particular that i love has always been Urban Dead at http://www.urbandead.com/

The game is simple: It's a endless fight between the survivors and Zombies. There's a map of the city in the game and your job is to help out your fellow survivors and/or zombie crew in taking down the opposition. The game however is mostly a RPing experience that's similar to Resident Evil, but RPG-style. you can't carry too much and buildings in the game can be as exciting to barricade and fight a group of zombie players.

If you want to know more, there's also a Wiki for the game at the website. just click on the Wiki and give it a go. I'm interested in creating a Housepets crew myself. We could either find a Police Department/Hospital for other survivors, help out at one of the 4 major malls or start our own Zombie crew. Braaaains!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

GameCobra wrote:So i been thinking: Anyone here play Browser-based RPG games?

I love Zombie games, but one in particular that i love has always been Urban Dead at http://www.urbandead.com/

The game is simple: It's a endless fight between the survivors and Zombies. There's a map of the city in the game and your job is to help out your fellow survivors and/or zombie crew in taking down the opposition. The game however is mostly a RPing experience that's similar to Resident Evil, but RPG-style. you can't carry too much and buildings in the game can be as exciting to barricade and fight a group of zombie players.

If you want to know more, there's also a Wiki for the game at the website. just click on the Wiki and give it a go. I'm interested in creating a Housepets crew myself. We could either find a Police Department/Hospital for other survivors, help out at one of the 4 major malls or start our own Zombie crew. Braaaains!
It seems pretty interesting. I'll give it a try.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Tired of easy games holding your hand? Want a challenge? Want to cry when random events shark you?(cause they will) Play the freeware version of the old computer game "Buzz Aldrin's Race into Space", now called Race into Space. It is the late 1950's and your goal is to beat the opposite world power (Russia/USA) in putting a man (or woman) on the moon and getting them back home. You have to buy, research, and test various pieces of equipment along the way and hope nothing fails during the various stages of the missions.

A video of a 1965 moon landing. (One of the earlier landing successes, my friend was able to get a fall 1964 landing)
A game guide because you'll need it. No seriously, you will.

Enjoy crushing defeat mixed with sweet victory.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Good to hear, mate. i'm currently hiding in St. Benedict's hospital in the game protecting the doctors there. It's currently heavily barracaded though ,so unless you have the free running ability (lets you run between buildings safely) It's going to be tough getting in =P
crazyBalto

Post by crazyBalto »

video game makes me remember my childhood, playing super mario world, super mario kart and some others from the super nintendo...But now I'm just waiting for the price of 3DS to get down(and it gonna be when nintendo launches another game, since in Brazil I need to pay double the original price(I think :D ).Well, I'll need to be happy with my wii, ps2 and n64 for now. :lol:
And I like nintendo consoles and games(maybe because I didn't have good time playing ps2, I only got angry trying to beat a game :lol: ).Some series of games that I like:Starfox, mario, conker, donkey kong country, michael jackson the experience, super smash bros, guitar hero, rock band, Wolf(MS-DOS game)trauma center, trauma team, kingdom hearts, that I remember now. :lol:
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

For the ones who plays Team Fortress 2:
Medic trailer is up!
Wait for the end, there's a little nice surprise.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Piggybacking off of Balto's post, I really enjoy the Trauma Center/Team franchise. They sure do come up with some strange diseases...
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

God, now i can get all my FPSer buddies playing...

=3
exranio

Post by exranio »

Distant worlds: music from final fantasy will be playing at my home town of baltimore this July.
I'm so happy there's only one video that can show how happy I am.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoyGctt3 ... r_embedded
Sorry to dislike-ers but it was the only video as happy as I was.
Brian

Post by Brian »

I usually play online flash games. Destructo Truck and Mass Mayhem 2 are defiantly my favorites. The only console game I play is Call of Duty Black Ops. Zombies for the Xbox and PS3. I'm not biased when it comes to consoles.
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

Team Fortress 2 is now F2P
SQUEEEE!!!!

Edit: Also, got the Black Ops 2nd map pack. Call of the Dead is so confusing.
thoughtwright

Post by thoughtwright »

Shake wrote:I dunno, I often find 3D to be really distracting. The majority of 3D movies and TV shows I've seen (before I swore them off) looked like they were made from flickering cardboard cutouts.

And then there were, like, one and a half* movies where the 3D effect looked completely natural and real and thus became unnoticeable after the first five minutes.

*Avatar, for me, seemed to be frequently switching between these two modes.
For most movies, that's exactly what's going on, the directors decided to shoot on standard film cameras, and then the studio goes up to them and says "HAI MR. DIRECTOR WE'RE GONNA RELEASE YOUR MOVIE IN 3D" which is actually called stereoscopic within the industry, 3D is just the marketing term, and so they spend a few million extra dollars (the extra revenue stereoscopic 3D movies bring in is tens of millions of dollars) cutting out each character like they're paper cut outs, and re-arrange them in a 3D space, and the result you get is flat paper characters moving around in a 3D world. Avatar was one of the few live-action, non-IMAX movies actually filmed with stereoscopic cameras. Coraline, a stop-motion animation, used a traditional digital photographic camera, but they shot both left and right eye angles for each frame. Computer-animated graphics are trivial to render in stereoscopic 3D, because they're already 3D.

The other problem you have is that stereoscopic 3D movies cut the brightness down by one-half to a quarter, except for IMAX 3D or any other setup which uses two projectors (which is next to none). The 3DS avoids this by doubling the brightness of the top screen, if you've noticed, the battery life of the 3DS isn't as great as the DS.

There's also other problems with making 3D videogames, for instance, trying to add stereoscopic 3D to FPS scopes, which you don't actually actually see in stereo since YOU USE A SINGLE EYE. Telescopes aren't stereoscopic, people, only binoculars are, and even then because of the zoom you still can't see the effect it's diminished by the zoom so much.

This said, I just tried out Ocarina of Time for 3DS and it looks amazing, it really does. Related to the game, has anyone seen this ad for it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bINUfbLV_0M
exranio

Post by exranio »

Anyway into the screen 3d can really help gameplay by adding depth to the levels. Literal depth.

In my opinion on buying consoles. Eventually everyconsole is gonna have a large library and its inevitable that there are gonna be games you will want but then can't get. So they way I always work is bye getting everything as soon as possible so I never have that problem. If you have the all the consoles you don't have to worry about exclusives. Although I HATE the resent things game companies have been doing.

Hey this game is on both consoles BUT the PS3 version gets this this this and this. If you don't have the PS3 feel free to enjoy a lesser version of our game for the same price.
I mean honestly thats like if I bought a movie and you bought the same movie, but mine had 1 extra hour of footage.

Or to be more literal on the subject. I buy the game on PS3 you buy it on Xbox. I have 6 more guns, 1 hour added on the story,3 extra party members and I got an extra mode. While you get the same game exept with out all that. Its okay when one is the special edition like with Star Ocean and Eternal Sonata because those were made afterward, but when a new game comes out on both and they pull this it just ticks me off.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Cwitt wrote:Team Fortress 2 is now F2P
SQUEEEE!!!!

Call of the dead is a huge map and I agree with you it is very confusing. There are however fun Easter Eggs and the map is pretty fun regardless of it's massive size.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

SQUEEEE!!!!

360, right? I've played the heck out of it, so if so, I can help you get your bearings.
Brian

Post by Brian »

Tha Housefox wrote:
SQUEEEE!!!!

360, right? I've played the heck out of it, so if so, I can help you get your bearings.
What's a good strategy for a two player match? How many doors should each player buy? What weapons should be purchased?
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

Tha Housefox wrote:
SQUEEEE!!!!

yup, 360.
What does flopper do
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Brian wrote:
Tha Housefox wrote:
SQUEEEE!!!!

What's a good strategy for a two player match? How many doors should each player buy? What weapons should be purchased?
Okay, the strategy that I find works the best is to have one person camp the bottom floor of the lighthouse with either the ray gun and Flopper or the Scavenger, then just have the second person do circles outside of the lighthouse, but do not buy the door next to the AK-74u if you want to try that trick.

For doors, it's really just who has more money when you need to get moving.

Lastly, weapons are a tough choice. Let's see: in off-the-wall weapons, I recommend the MP40, the sickle, and the AK-74u. From the box, I'd recommend the HK or RPK for their large magazines and high rate of fire. The AUG and Famas are nice, but they really don't have much ammo for the power. The ray gun is a good idea only if you have Flopper, and the Scavenger is a one-hit kill with a huge blast radius.
What does P.H.D. Flopper do?
It does three things:
1) Cancels fall damage.
2) Negates damage from explosives or kick-back from the ray gun (literally, the ray gun can no longer hurt you with this perk).
3) If you dive from a good enough height, it creates a powerful shockwave when you hit the ground.
Mareks

Post by Mareks »

Where can I get TF2?

Aaaannnnddd, anyone here in the middle of playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent, or has already played through it? I've been playing for a few days now. There's no doubt this is a game you want to take your time with. Having no weapons, or means to defend yourself, besides hiding in the darkness, and running away... it keeps you on your toes, and keeps your heart racing. This has to be the creepiest game I've ever played. Much better then Silent Hill.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Mareks wrote:
Aaaannnnddd, anyone here in the middle of playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent, or has already played through it?

Yes?:B
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You can get it on Steam.
Mareks

Post by Mareks »

Tobee wrote:
Mareks wrote:
Aaaannnnddd, anyone here in the middle of playing Amnesia: The Dark Descent, or has already played through it?

Yes?:B
Cool, what do you think of it? (so far)
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Well, I've finished it.

When I first started playing it, had a few forum members join me on skype(aaron, meschenitz etc) and count how many times I swore. ><

I also paused the game every 5 minutes. |3 X3

Anyone who says this game is not scary is a fool >:V
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I've watched Elliot play it. Maybe it was because I was watching through Skype, but I didn't find it scary.
I guess that makes me a fool.
Ah pity da foo'.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Play it for yourself.

Feel the panic creep up on you as all the freaking sounds make you go freaking insane

:V
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

I can't play it because:
1.) I have no money.
2.) My computers can't support it very well.
3.) I have no disk space on my laptop for it. :/
4.) See reason number one.