Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

zeekgenateer

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by zeekgenateer »

Acquiring dependencies has been much easier in my experience. The linux shell is also more powerful giving me more flexibility in working on multiple different projects at once. Also being able to use repositories without jumping through hoops is nice. The amount of effort I have to expend in Windows to do the same thing in Linux is much much more.

Also Linux has a much better UI. I'm really loving GNOME 3 and multiple desktops.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

And have you considered the possibility that you don't know how to do the same things efficiently on Windows? (which seems probable after your claim that Notepad++ is the only good one for Win). Not to mention what you described is more about installing software, instead of actual programming, unless you mean acquiring libraries to use in your code (but that's not dependency, because that's for already created software, in which case, I don't know what's complex on that on Windows, since most of the time you actually don't have to acquire anything).

What Linux Shell? Bash? And I guess you never heard of PowerShell on Windows then? I really don't know what sorts of unnecessary weird things you are doing on Windows, to complicate installation of stuff that much, because it's quick and easy on both systems, different, but not really complicated as you say. Not to mention, that's still rather general OS usage, than just programming.

And the UI is more matter of personal preference so you cannot definitely say which one is better. You can get multiple desktops on Windows easily too, there are tons of such tools (including one directly from Microsoft) so you have a lot of choices and not just for extending number of desktops (I actually don't use multiple desktops, because I have multiple monitors, which is much much better than multiple desktops, but that's besides the point).

Anyway joy: There's a huge thunderstorm coming, I'm getting my camera ready :3
Another joy: I installed the 80 GB Intel SSD which I won (with my own processor architecture and programming languages) and it's lightning fast! 230 MB/s (reading, I wonder what will wear-leveling do with the write speed... and what kind of wear-leveling technology does it even use?) and 0.1 ms latency. I'm going to move my system partition to it Image
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Lucky, How much would one of those SSD drives cost?
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

80 GB is probably ~100-150 I believe. Could have dropped since the last time I checked.
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Yeah, Just looked it up. Costs roughly just below 200 USD.
no longer active, sorry
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

Joy: I'm relaxed for some unknown and mysterious reason :)

Sorrow: Still at school *rage face*
Sent from my conifer.
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Sorrow: Someone took my towels. I can't shower just yet. :(
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Recreate, Daggy: depends on the technology and quality (SLC, MLC - speed, endurance), that one I won costs 230 USD, Intel makes a good ones.

Also, that wasn't luck, that was skill, high technical knowledge, creativity and hard work. Luck doesn't help you in a scientific competition, quality of work and results do.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

Frooxius wrote:Recreate, Daggy: depends on the technology and quality (SLC, MLC - speed, endurance), that one I won costs 230 USD, Intel makes a good ones.

Also, that wasn't luck, that was skill, high technical knowledge, creativity and hard work. Luck doesn't help you in a scientific competition, quality of work and results do.
Yes of course, I didn't imply otherwise. What I implied by "lucky" is how you have the skill, technical knowledge, understanding and creativity required to do that. Something that not everyone (or better expressed as, hardly anyone) has or otherwise can have. As simply not everyone's fortunate enough to have the resources or (simply put) brain capacity to reach that.

Edit: Fixed mistake in wording.
no longer active, sorry
Shake

Post by Shake »

As you might have guessed, I'm not exactly an expert programmer (one semester of C++, lawl). So I sorta just have a basic foundation and am teaching myself as I go along. I also suck at terminology.
BUT ANYWAY my little bitmap-generating class is doing what I need it to so I'm happy about that.

In other news:

Joy: I got the Starcraft 2 downloader working by creating a new account on my laptop. This time I'm just gonna keep the installation files instead of deleting them after installation so I don't have to go through this [STUFF] again.
You've shattered my mind and rearranged the pieces into something beautiful.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

ReCreate: but you don't acquire skill and knowledge through luck
Shake: well I was also giving some advice. But programming is more about self teaching, if you rely just on the school you'll never get good, so it's certainly a good thing you play with it and create your own programs. And the best way to learn is by making mistakes and not doing the things the best way, because that really shows you why it's not a good idea to do things a certain way and pushes you closer to the best solution. Mistakes and things done wrong aren't negative at all, if you learn from them. Image

For example, I'm completely self taught (I knew a lot about programming even before I went to high school). It's sort of funny when a lot of people mention learning programming on college and I'm actually going to first year of college later this year (just finished high school), but several people (including college teachers and IT experts) already told me, that my knowledge of C++ is beyond knowledge and the paper I wrote about my own processor and programming language is better than most dissertations written after several years of university studies. Image

But sorrow: The huge thunderstorm wave dissolved just before it arrived here, so I got only a few feeble sky flashes and I was hoping for a nice-flashy-lighty-discharge show with my camera ready Image
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Sorrow: I might have Psoriasis. I just hope it is Poison Ivy, but I kinda doubt it. Poison Ivy should not last 4 days, only infect my joints, and how did it even touch my knees. :<
Sorrow: My mom threw a fit at a place where we often buy old games. Their prices are higher but not to bad, but my mom just got mad and stormed off.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Joy: people are doing artwork for my MLP fanfic! EEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!
yehoshua

Post by yehoshua »

*sigh* sorrow (again what? are you surprised?): Well, my mother thought I was doing one homework in math when I was really doing a different one, the one she thought I was doing was done a few days before. Now she's complaining with my teachers and I'm grounded because she thinks I was lying, I have lied to her a lot but it has been quite a while since the last time I've lied to her. Now she's actually considering sending me to military school all because she won't believe that she was wrong!
Sent from my conifer.
Alex

Post by Alex »

yehoshua wrote:*sigh* sorrow (again what? are you surprised?): Well, my mother thought I was doing one homework in math when I was really doing a different one, the one she thought I was doing was done a few days before. Now she's complaining with my teachers and I'm grounded because she thinks I was lying, I have lied to her a lot but it has been quite a while since the last time I've lied to her. Now she's actually considering sending me to military school all because she won't believe that she was wrong!
O_o Why would she ground you for actually doing your homework? That's kinda... dumb...
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Joy: My ASUS laptop is here!!!!!!!!!!

(I am so giddy)
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Joy: 18th birthday! ^^
Joy: It's raining, therefor no work today.
Sorrow: Not celebrating anything until the weekend.
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Joy: Tomorrow is the LAST FRIGGIN' DAY OF SCHOOL!
:D
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

Sorrow: My ex girlfriend asked me if we could be friends again, i said no... i a'm feeling bad.. an internal hole in my heart.

Joy: One song helped me.... i think
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
shadowhaz

Post by shadowhaz »

sorrow: i feel kinda hated by everyone -sigh- joy: i can still smile...heh
it takes an idiot to do cool things that's why they're cool
soothing no?
The Game

Post by The Game »

Joy: Hung out with my former best friend today

Sorrow: I remembered why I stopped hanging out with her
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

The Game wrote:Joy: Hung out with my former best friend today

I'm guessing she was annoying?
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Joy: TF2 is FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Sorrow: I can't make a million accounts and idle with them easily.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

zeekgenateer wrote:Sorrow: I can't make a million accounts and idle with them easily.
Isn't that, yaknow, cheating?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Joy: I'm now officially enrolled on university (just returned home). I was accepted before without having to do entry exams (because I won a programming competition), but today, I had to go there, put my signature on a plenty of papers, get some materials and information about studies and my school account password, trough which I'll manage most study-related things. And we already got list of what we're going to learn and it's going to be extra easy, because I already know most of the stuff Image At least I can focus more on my projects and studying other things Image

Sorrow: I had to stand without moving for almost eternity, before I got my turn (a lot of people there...) and my legs started to hurt quite a lot after hours of standing on one place, being surrounded by other people and not being able to walk at least a little bit Image

Joy: While I was in Brno city (where university is), I visited Librex bookstore and I was able to use 60 USD worth coupons which I won in the programming competition before to "buy" (for free) four very interesting books about advanced IT topics. More information and knowledge to devour! Image
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
The Game

Post by The Game »

Tha Housefox wrote:
The Game wrote:Joy: Hung out with my former best friend today

I'm guessing she was annoying?
Sooooooo annoying.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Frooxius wrote:Joy: I'm now officially enrolled on university (just returned home). I was accepted before without having to do entry exams (because I won a programming competition), but today, I had to go there, put my signature on a plenty of papers, get some materials and information about studies and my school account password, trough which I'll manage most study-related things. And we already got list of what we're going to learn and it's going to be extra easy, because I already know most of the stuff Image At least I can focus more on my projects and studying other things Image

Sorrow: I had to stand without moving for almost eternity, before I got my turn (a lot of people there...) and my legs started to hurt quite a lot after hours of standing on one place, being surrounded by other people and not being able to walk at least a little bit Image

Joy: While I was in Brno city (where university is), I visited Librex bookstore and I was able to use 60 USD worth coupons which I won in the programming competition before to "buy" (for free) four very interesting books about advanced IT topics. More information and knowledge to devour! Image
Congratz! The registration day is definitely a killer, even for me 4 years ago (I feel old :( )

Sorrow: I wished I had discovered programming earlier in my life and pursued it, instead of what I'm doing now, chemical engineering program. I'm so not looking forward to work in an oil company, which is what this university sort of mass-produced.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
thoughtwright

Post by thoughtwright »

kurowolfe wrote:Congratz! The registration day is definitely a killer, even for me 4 years ago (I feel old :( )

Sorrow: I wished I had discovered programming earlier in my life and pursued it, instead of what I'm doing now, chemical engineering program. I'm so not looking forward to work in an oil company, which is what this university sort of mass-produced.
Isn't that one of the top paying jobs you can get out of school? Don't complain, and certainly programming works into the trade, today more than ever. And at least with programming you can write something in your spare time and turn around and start a business around it, no elite college education required. Unless it's complex mathematics or engineering, there's not much you can't better learn from a book.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Hmm, you've got a point there, thoughtwright. Guess it's how you look at what you have that is more important.
And I can certainly learn by myself if I'd wanted to. :D

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

thoughtwright wrote:
kurowolfe wrote:Congratz! The registration day is definitely a killer, even for me 4 years ago (I feel old :( )

Isn't that one of the top paying jobs you can get out of school? Don't complain, and certainly programming works into the trade, today more than ever. And at least with programming you can write something in your spare time and turn around and start a business around it, no elite college education required. Unless it's complex mathematics or engineering, there's not much you can't better learn from a book.
You can, but college helps with networking. I just got a job from a professor who is a big deal in his field. He consults for major companies, works for the DoD, and commutes from Washington D.C to Chicago every week to teach one class, then flies back that same day. I think that's pretty sweet.

Joy: The liberty launcher in TF2 is sweet, and the new soldier shotgun is fun as well.

Sorrow: I need to donate to buy more slots on a server I help run. Stupid gameservers costing so much.
Cwitt

Post by Cwitt »

naylorfan90 wrote:
Cwitt wrote:sorrow: I will never get to know what happened in "An Adventure for the Ages"
If you want, a can send you a note detailing what I had planned out. I knew what all was going to happen, I just didn't have any time to write it.
you have no idea how happy that would make me.

Sorrow: I did not see this post sooner.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

It also depends on what kind of programming you want to do and various programming jobs are valued differently. Surely some scripting and simple app development (creating interface, adding some little code to glue it together...) won't be valued as some complex development which requires more in depth knowledge and more technical skill and talent, because scripting is quite easy and most people can learn it, but even many professional programmers can't work with assembly, so assembly programmers are quite values on the market. And you can go even further and do some research (that's one of the areas where I am aiming) and develop new technologies that will others use.

Not to mention that computing and even just the programming is very wide area and you can do anything from application, game, embedded system or information system development, each one requiring different languages (but a good programmer is never language related, he can pick up any programming language very quickly (a few days or weeks for complex ones) and use it right away, what's important is the general programming mind - for example I was able to write a professional looking code in a language the same day I learned it several times, because language is nothing but a tool and who need to focus on a tool, rather than the problem he's solving?

But school/college is never enough if you want to become good, it can only give you the basis, but you need to build on that yourself. For example I'm completely self taught and I was already told a few times, that I actually don't need college from the knowledge side, but simply to acquire a title, otherwise there might be problems with getting job, though the area where I am heading doesn't focus on titles that much. Just because somebody has a degree doesn't mean he's really good at it and just because someone doesn't, doesn't mean he's not good.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

Joy: I'm alive.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single minute of it.
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

Joy: I went to the Georgia State Aquarium two days ago! :D

Joy: I have had three days off!

Sorrow: I am Having technical issues with my former school.

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

Ohoho! Did you see any sharks?
Vespier Leo

Post by Vespier Leo »

Yes! Hammer heads, Reef sharks, Lemon sharks and Whale sharks! :D

Joy: I get tomorrow off to! :D

Stranger things have happened, and do, with alarming regularity.

--Vespier R. Leo
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

A lemon shark? XD Ohohoo that's amazing! I've never seen a shark in real life before! I've seen pictures but not in real life!

Joy: There will be a live action Phoenix Wright movie

Sorrow: Nobody on here knows that game but me D:
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

I can assure you a few people will know The phoenix wright game

..I think.

At least kaido or nick!
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
zeldakeeper

Post by zeldakeeper »

Oh! I know those people, Aaron showed me some of Nicky's drawings!
Daggy

Post by Daggy »

Sorrow: My lunch will be late today :(

Joy: Got some solid writing done two nights ago. I kind of forgot how much fun it can be.