PF: Mcmannon Hills OOC

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Zack_the_husky

PF: Mcmannon Hills OOC

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Setting:

In the state of Oklahoma, fifteen miles away from the nearest city, is Mcmannon Hills. Started by Richard Mcmannon, it's a decent-sized neighborhood. However, recently, weird things have started happening, ever since a weird element, named 'Petonium', appeared. Named for the fact that it mostly affects animals, mostly pets, Petonium appears to cause various changes in pets, even going as far as giving them powers. Naturally, the people in charge of neighborhood have started using Petonium as a way to get people to come move there, and check it out.

Rules:

For the most part, same as regular Pet friendly rules. However, for Petonium affected pets...Eh, give them about 55 SPECIAL points total. Also, feel free to be creative with your pet's powers, and even various plot stuff.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Re: PF: Mcmannon Hills OOC

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Are you trying to make a new neighborhood here? I've got a couple objections to that.

1) We already have a TON of openings in half of the neighborhoods. Those need to be filled before we start making room for players who, so far, are in heavy demand. Starting a new neighborhood is a really bad idea for that reason alone.

2) You JUST started Grand Castilia, which still hasn't taken off. You should be maintaining that and getting it into full-momentum rather than trying to start a new RP on top of it.

This might be a decent idea later, but not now, now is a bad time. Also, this isn't how you're supposed to start a new neighborhood: you need to bring it up in the Main OOC first. Realize that you're not the first person to think of this: Argent and Buckdida thought of this when they first wrote the rules. Alot more thought and input might be useful before you make this neighborhood. As a concession, I'm fine with you screwing around with the idea of a superhero-type pet in BsM, as long as it doesn't push too many boundaries and the players are ok with it.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

read the main OOC, he did bring it up, and this was the way suggested for him to go about doing things. If someone more official tells him no, then they can just get rid of this OOC. and a new neighborhood doesn't necessarily take players away from joining other neighborhoods.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

So, noone's really interested in this Neighborhood yet, or, are people just waiting to see what the mods think, first?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

waiting, as I am actually extremely interested.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Game

Post by The Game »

This does sound interesting, but seriously, Rockstar has a point. Richardson Valley, Mrookshire, and My Little Pony still need players. Making a whole new neighborhood takes that chance away.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

and again, players can join more than one neighborhood.
also, Richardson Valley says it's "invite only" in the PF main OOC, so if they need new players, that's on them.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

If this was discussed in the Main OOC, it wasn't discussed there long enough, 'cause I didn't see it at all.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:and again, players can join more than one neighborhood.
Yes they can, but are they going to? This situation is like having 50 extra empty cups when you already have 100 and you've only got a 6-pack of soda cans. This is economics: you have too many suppliers of PF Neighborhoods and not enough players demanding it. Don't get in now, wait until the demand is higher. Even if there was a demand though, I don't think you (Zach) should be starting a new neighborhood now: you JUST STARTED Grand Castilia, which hasn't even been around much more than a week. Wait for the projects you've started to stabilize before you start trying to start new ones.
also, Richardson Valley says it's "invite only" in the PF main OOC, so if they need new players, that's on them.
Wrong: sleeping administration isn't "on them", it's on the mods who should be editing that list. (which I didn't even remember existed until you brought it up) Beyond that, the last few messages in the Main OOC have been about RV wanting new players for the past couple weeks. Even then, RV isn't the only neighborhood: BsM has been searching for new players for at least a month now.

As I said before, if you want to try this out, talk to me about doing it in BsM: I'm ok with it as long as it doesn't screw with the setting too much. It'd be better that way, because it adds to an existing neighborhood and means you get to test it out a bit before making a full neighborhood.

That being said, I'm showing this to Buckdida so he can make a decision.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

RockstarRaccoon wrote:
Wrong: sleeping administration isn't "on them", it's on the mods who should be editing that list.
I never actually specified to whom "them" was referring. I figured that it may well have been the fault of an outdated list.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Fri May 27, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Buckdida wrote:I can't get on right now to post. But, yeah. There are too many RPs.
Also, I don't know about Zach: I don't know how well he can run a single RP, so a second one is really pushing it...
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Can I just say something in defense, please?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

maybe. that did seem a bit rude, calling into question your GM'ing abilities. I think that part didn't need to be posted, Racoon
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:maybe. that did seem a bit rude, calling into question your GM'ing abilities. I think that part didn't need to be posted, Racoon
He didn't mean it that way, he just said that Zach should get some practice from running his first one before making a second.

And you probably should say something, Zach, seeing as you haven't posted since you started the topic, lol.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Zack_the_husky wrote:... *Pokes the post asking if he can give a defense*
I just responded to it. Go ahead and talk: you haven't said ANYTHING since starting the topic, and just because Buckdida agreed with me doesn't mean the discussion has to end...
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Alright, let me get to the basics...Not counting the hijinx or the pets being anthromorphic and able to talk, for the most part, most of the PF neighborhoods are normal reality-wise, right? Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these.

Richardson Valley-Normal
Radiant Gardens- Norma- WAIT! It's slowly starting to change! It's becoming all rainbowish and magical! It's-! ...Nah, nevermind, back to normal, aside from Morrigan and her telepathic contact with Zappa. The soda company promises that the magical flavor will be back for a limited time, for those who want it, but, that was said months ago, and, with the Vanilla birthday plot coming up, it may be months more.
Brookshire Meadows-Normal(Although, there was like one pet who died and came back to life a couple of times, unless I'm mistaken.)
Yorkshire Fields-Normal
Richmond Acres-Normal
Sunset Plateau-Normal
Seabreeze Harbor-Normal
Blue Peak shore-Normal

You see where I'm going with this...?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I see it. too many of these are normal. we need a little more variety. there used to be a fantasy based one, but it went normal if I'm not mistaken.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Yeah, Radiant Gardens, the one I described the most in my point. Pretty much normal now.
The Game

Post by The Game »

Grand Castilia is about ponies. Flying, magical ponies.

Seabreeze Harbor has Herbert- a magical, time stopping, dream jumping, fire breathing dragon that appears in the minds of other characters, fighting a demon.

I'm pretty sure BsM was even magic-ier then Radiant Gardens at a point. I'm not sure about it now though.

And the pets in Blue Peak Shore have bad pasts as it is. Adding magic to that would be a disaster.

And, I'm not saying don't open this. I'm saying don't open this now. It's not time for a new RP. And for the record, Radiant Gardens stopped being magical because it had a tendency to ruin everything.

We're playing as pets, not wizards/witches/cosmic DnD players.

Seriously, the reason we don't use magic as a main playing point is because it doesn't fit with most characters. Vanilla is an extreme example, no offense to Chewy if he reads this, but even other characters like Awesome, or Wonder just weren't made for the role as a dueling sorcerer! Even in the comic, the pets are completely oblivious to the magic! They're too busy being happy go lucky, stuck in a love triangle, or making witty puns!

The whole sci-fi idea is great, don't get me wrong, but you can't complain about "normal" neighborhoods.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Zack_the_husky wrote:Brookshire Meadows-Normal(Although, there was like one pet who died and came back to life a couple of times, unless I'm mistaken.)
AHEM.
1) Yes, there was a running gag where we kept killing Metaecho's character, Zuchinni, Kenny style.
2) There have been several characters with magical traits. As in, Trinket and Zeke were shown to posses magical abilities, and a couple other characters have just never shown it. Also, Sid's ball of yarn is haunted.
3) We planned out a Dungeon-crawl arc a few months into the RP, but then a bunch of people left. The arc was going to feature alot of magic and possibly kick off a magically-charged subplot, like the Pete arc.
4) There have been several Magic-related arcs and plots.
5) The forest, the wild animals, and especially the ruins within, is not normal by PF standards.
6) I've offered to let you play a superhero-housepet in there several times, because that could actually fit into BsM at this point.

BsM has always been the crazy one where you can try out weird stuff, and I worked really hard to develop a fun and entertaining setting with it. Why don't you try making a character there before starting a new neighborhood in the middle of a slow-period? Also, what about Grand Castilia? You just started that and it still hasn't gotten very far off the ground. Why don't you focus on that for a while and we can try adding new neighborhoods when there are more players to fill them...
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

I already came up with the idea of a sci-fi-ish theme months ago. In March. Also, although I may be kind of basing the MLP:FIM RPing stuff on PF, it's still MLP:FIM. As for Radiant Gardens, I thought those of us who wanted fantasy again were at least going to get one more arc of it. Heck, I think we originally intended for it to be after the Christmas arc, or something. Eh, anyway, I guess I could make a superpowered pet on BsM, for now.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

The Game wrote:Grand Castilia is about ponies. Flying, magical ponies.

Seabreeze Harbor has Herbert- a magical, time stopping, dream jumping, fire breathing dragon that appears in the minds of other characters, fighting a demon.

I'm pretty sure BsM was even magic-ier then Radiant Gardens at a point. I'm not sure about it now though.

And the pets in Blue Peak Shore have bad pasts as it is. Adding magic to that would be a disaster.

And, I'm not saying don't open this. I'm saying don't open this now. It's not time for a new RP. And for the record, Radiant Gardens stopped being magical because it had a tendency to ruin everything.

We're playing as pets, not wizards/witches/cosmic DnD players.

Seriously, the reason we don't use magic as a main playing point is because it doesn't fit with most characters. Vanilla is an extreme example, no offense to Chewy if he reads this, but even other characters like Awesome, or Wonder just weren't made for the role as a dueling sorcerer! Even in the comic, the pets are completely oblivious to the magic! They're too busy being happy go lucky, stuck in a love triangle, or making witty puns!

The whole sci-fi idea is great, don't get me wrong, but you can't complain about "normal" neighborhoods.
No offense taken. It was outright bunnying when she was given mind-reading powers, and I don't know why I went with it. I think you made good points. And it is true that Radiant Gardens stopped being magical because it got out of hand--just look at the beginning of the OOC thread.

Please understand that we're not against this RPG idea--I probably won't join but not because I'm against it. I just want to focus on my already-existing characters, plus I don't have an idea offhand for one for this one.
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

One thing I can add to this is that with a PG rating, things would eventually revert to your neighborhood to your definition of normal.

Also, since everyone wants to be the hero, should this continue into a full RP, could you see yourself introducing NPCs (villains) that would prevent degrading laser eye beams to just being a means to quick cook bread?

To give an example...

Justice League.

>All superheroes have their own hideouts.
>Does not come out till it's clobberin' time.
>Their normal lives are as exciting as staring at a bag of coffee fertilizing your garden.

Just saying that a neighborhood with great powers come great responsibility for the GM. (Sounds familiar... ^ w^) Having a neighborhood with these special traits would require various stimuli to trigger the need for these powers. The source of these stimuli would most of the time fall on the GM as, with the rating in place, one would need to think of a plot so sinister, it does not break the rating... (Now for some reason I can't stop thinking this would be a Kids Next Door type of neighborhood....
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Well, I was thinking of doing something similar to Smallville's freak of the week thing that it had. Also, aren't there SEVERAL super-heroish/sci-fi shows, or whatever, that have come close to breaking the PG rating, without actually breaking the PG rating? Like say...Let's list Batman: The animated series and Batman Beyond as examples. Weren't both rated PG, yet both had dark stuff?
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Yes, but that is Batman!

*cough cough* and Batman does not have superpowers.

*PPK* *Hub-lah!*

On a more serious note..
Rarely are there injuries in those Batman incarnations except for hairstyle murder or a haggard face.
Enemies are downed in a punch or two or a throw. Bosses either run away or get arrested.
The dark nature of Batman stems from backstories of the characters, everything else is just PPK and grunts and struggles... And Batarangs!
Batman is a story, not a roleplay. If it was then it would have been very hard to control all the characters so that it would go as smoothly as in the series.

In response to superhero movies...
Laser Eye Beams that slice through 3 ft thick metal disperses upon hitting flesh.
Super Strength that can lift tons and tons of material cannot deliver a knockout punch.
90% of non-punch attacks will miss.

To end this... It's easy to watch and be interested but it's hard to create and not go overboard.
Those shows didn't break the rating because there are those that make sure it doesn't.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well, while not actually superhero related, my mom remembers an episode of an old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon where in one episode a character gunned down everyone and it ended by saying "don't use guns." PG can go pretty far in the violence department.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Which Sonic cartoon was this?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I have no idea, it was before my time. It was when my brother was young(so it was between 88 and 92 give or take). my mom's pretty lenient, but she drew the line there for that series.

and this may be a misremembering of the story on my part, or a misremembering of the episode on hers.
Last edited by RandomGeekNamedBrent on Fri May 27, 2011 11:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

Anyway, what about Justice League and Justice League unlimited? Those had SOME dark things, didn't they?
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:well, while not actually superhero related, my mom remembers an episode of an old Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon where in one episode a character gunned down everyone and it ended by saying "don't use guns." PG can go pretty far in the violence department.
Zetta Beam!!!

*watches a planet explode*

Now kids, it's wrong to blow up planets, unless you're a intentionally vague visage overlord like me. Gwahahahahahahaha!

But talking about violence and rating.. The more unrealistic and implausible the action is, the better it would be suited to ratings which mostly concerns about how children will react to interacting with the media.

Punches hurt so that kids won't go out picking fights.
Flying has a certain pose so that kids wouldn't readily jump off buildings.
Firearms are generally given a bad look so that children would hopefully refrain from them. ( Something like punch beats gun or guns always miss, yet still retaining that "Oh no! He's got a gun! MULTITUDES OF TABLES, PLANTS AND WALLS WILL BE HURT!!!" )

Yes, violence would go very far with the ratings, but it should also be noted that it only happens because they agree on some parts. See how the man of steel isn't affected by bullets but can be punched so hard he actually staggers?

And I wonder, what happens if I take out the "Petonite".... Groaning pets??

Anyways, when I mentioned how the rating would steer the neighborhood into normalcy, it wasn't because of the violence but the event of what would happen on action events. Since with a PG rating, everything would seem to be "convenient" as opposed to higher ratings which would result in less favorable results with the same event.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

See, if you start a character in BsM, this is what we get to work out in testing.
valerio

Post by valerio »

If I am allowed...
If we started with a sudden mutation, the break of normality would be so vast that a superpowers war would wreak uncontrolled havoc, players would end up doing their darnedest to overcome each other, each feeling he/she's tough enough to win/rule. Or would the mutated pets assume secret identities and fight each other in the shadows, far from their inquiring humans? Would the feral be mutated and become the major menace?
In other words, the number of rules to set would be so overwhelming to cause calls for exceptions any given day, and that would start another players-feud about who deserved more exceptions...
No. Bad juju, IMO
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Hee hee...

After you brought it up I realized how Pet Unfriendly it is to expose them to a mutagen. ^ w^
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

What makes you so sure that all that's going to happen? Sides, what's wrong with some of that stuff?
valerio

Post by valerio »

Having powers implies using them.
Unless our PF pneighborhood is compensated by heavy boredomness, thus making the use of powers irrelevant.
There is still the 'Mystery Men' scenario -yes, that is quite funny, but then you MUST ask for the players not to overstep it. Drama with superpowers = escalation
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

notice it says:
Zack_the_husky wrote:Petonium appears to cause various changes in pets, even going as far as giving them powers.
the powers is just one of many possibilities.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
valerio

Post by valerio »

Well, so there should be slots for:

1) estetically mutated pets (species/breed change, fur appearance). This excludes a feral wolf turned into a Fenris-like creature, since it'd implied a super-being state. According to what rightly said before, this should cover most of the slots
2) mildly powered beings. For example, telepaths, higher strength/agility, enhanced senses, higher intelligence, precognition... These would create ranks of pets still able to perform their mundane tasks without drawing too much attention from the humans AND make for interesting plots.
3) superpowered beings. not less than 2-3 characters? We could have a good, a bad and a 'neutral' to keep balance between the two.
4) Magic? *danger danger danger* Radiant Gardens experimented it and it went awry! In Seabreeze Harbor, there is a strict limit to two entities. Magic has a way to run out of control. :?
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

I was also thinking of there being varieties of Petonium, kind of like how Kryptonite has multiple varieties.
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

valerio wrote:4) Magic? *danger danger danger* Radiant Gardens experimented it and it went awry! In Seabreeze Harbor, there is a strict limit to two entities. Magic has a way to run out of control. :?
Never got out of hand in BsM. It was actually pretty fun... We need to get back to some of that stuff...
Zack_the_husky

Post by Zack_the_husky »

So, is it still probably not a good time, yet?
razgriz

Post by razgriz »

*inserts 2 cents*

Perhaps a more balanced approach, not complete super heroes but above average. Reading through the posts in here, I thought of Eureka. Its a sci fi series about a town filled with super geniuses, everyone in there can pretty much recite pi to the billionth digit and not even stutter doing it.

I don't know if this should be done now (though I would join), but giving people enough power to be above normal, but not super-heroes could work out pretty well. Perhaps a pet or two gains limited flight, others get basic mutations which give them characteristics of other pets, a weak telekinetic able to lift maybe another pet, simple things which would make for bad super heroes, but easier and more interesting lives.

And if you start out with everyone normal, you can throw in there the process of developing whatever abilities they do get (though their abilities would be planned ahead.) There's comedy in something like a mouse walking into a house and pulling the front door right off its hinges, or a dog chasing a ball and suddenly flying...

At least, thats my thoughts, a more subtle approach, where above average is normal...