Old Comic Discussion: "Imaginate" to "Imaginate, too!"

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Indagare

Re: current comic

Post by Indagare »

YoruOokami wrote:
RaptorAnton wrote:And don't you think, that King just CAN'T tell anyone anything about what had happen to him? Just like he can't tell his real name.
I wonder, if he can write it, or it will look like a scene from "Liar Liar" film with Jim Carrey? :lol:
Yeah, this has me thinking a bit. It looks to me like King genuinely slipped and then corrected himself, but it seems unlikely that he would do so of his own volition. So I'm wondering if maybe Pete's spell command on him only effects what he can do or say consciously. When he was just talking without thinking it through first, he was able to say whatever came into his mind, but as soon as he caught himself saying it, his conscious mind took over, and because of the spell, he was required to consciously correct himself. If that's the case, that could lead to some interesting slip ups on his part, in the future.
Actually, except for saying his original name, I think King can say anything he wants. But this is where the Eagles come in handy. "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." Pete has already stated he's not likely to restore Joel to a human form, and Joel does not know any magic (or anyone that knows magic) that might turn him back. This leaves him with a problem. For all intents and purposes he's a pet. If he starts running around claiming to be a human trapped in a pet's body thanks to a magical griffin people are going to think he's either making it up or that he's lying.

Plus he wouldn't be able to tell anyone who he was even if they did take him seriously. "What was your name?" "My name was King!" I think this, and the fact that he's very well aware of how pets are treated outside Babylon Gardens, means he's basically stuck. If he lets slip to a pet that he went to college then he's going to have to explain a lot more than might make sense. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be shunned by the other dogs - and he would not want to attract Bino's attention by claiming airs. So he lies or covers up his background so he can lead a relatively safe, happy life. Of course if he ever did learn magic or find someone who could turn him back...
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
YoruOokami

Post by YoruOokami »

Indagare wrote:Actually, except for saying his original name, I think King can say anything he wants. But this is where the Eagles come in handy. "You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave." Pete has already stated he's not likely to restore Joel to a human form, and Joel does not know any magic (or anyone that knows magic) that might turn him back. This leaves him with a problem. For all intents and purposes he's a pet. If he starts running around claiming to be a human trapped in a pet's body thanks to a magical griffin people are going to think he's either making it up or that he's lying.

Plus he wouldn't be able to tell anyone who he was even if they did take him seriously. "What was your name?" "My name was King!" I think this, and the fact that he's very well aware of how pets are treated outside Babylon Gardens, means he's basically stuck. If he lets slip to a pet that he went to college then he's going to have to explain a lot more than might make sense. I'm pretty sure he doesn't want to be shunned by the other dogs - and he would not want to attract Bino's attention by claiming airs. So he lies or covers up his background so he can lead a relatively safe, happy life. Of course if he ever did learn magic or find someone who could turn him back...
Definitely a possibility, but if that were the case, then there wouldn't have been any point in Pete putting a spell on Joel/King to begin with. If people don't believe his story without him being able to tell them his original name, which he could simply explain away as being because of the spell, then there is really no reason they would believe him if he could tell them his name also. They'd just think he was lying about that too. Which makes me think that just blocking his ability to say his old name really doesn't accomplish anything, by itself, so I think it must go deeper then that. That's my line of reasoning anyway.
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

YoruOokami wrote: Definitely a possibility, but if that were the case, then there wouldn't have been any point in Pete putting a spell on Joel/King to begin with. If people don't believe his story without him being able to tell them his original name, which he could simply explain away as being because of the spell, then there is really no reason they would believe him if he could tell them his name also. They'd just think he was lying about that too. Which makes me think that just blocking his ability to say his old name really doesn't accomplish anything, by itself, so I think it must go deeper then that. That's my line of reasoning anyway.
It could be that Pete's magic can be countered if you knew the true name of the person he enspelled therefore by blocking King from being able to tell anyone his true name Pete has made sure that no one can reverse the spell (at least not easily). So it doesn't matter if King can say anything else except his true name because his name is the only thing Pete needs to keep him from saying.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

YoruOokami wrote:Image
Now that I look at the left pic of King again, anyone else think he looks like tails?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Now that I look at the left pic of King again, anyone else think he looks like tails?
A little bit. And I think that Rick forgot about white dots.
I'm from Russia, so please, don't pay attention to my terrible accent ;)
See me on DeviantArt.
Jack

Post by Jack »

he looks a bit more cartoony in the left pic. does anyone understand what i mean by that?
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Jack wrote:he looks a bit more cartoony in the left pic. does anyone understand what i mean by that?
There are some things, that you can feel but can't describe. Anyway, I understand, what you mean.
See me on DeviantArt.
YoruOokami

Post by YoruOokami »

Jack wrote:he looks a bit more cartoony in the left pic. does anyone understand what i mean by that?
Yes, I do, and I agree completely. I think it is because most of his features are more rounded off in the left drawing, making him appear more soft and fluffy. I think it can all be written off to the slight angle change. His muzzle, being a little more foreshortened at this angle, appears more rounded, the back of his ears are rounder and a bit thicker, and with more of the left side of his head showing it allows more of the base circle of his head to show. The only thing that I don't think can be written off as an angle thing would be that he has let the hair on his head grow out a bit, and the tufts are thicker with more rounded ends which gives fur a puffier look.

And then there's also the fact that it's very challenging to draw a character exactly the same way, every time. Minor differences are bound to leak in now and then.

And then it's possible that Rick has actually made some minor changes, and I'm just way over analyzing things as usual :P
Teh Brawler wrote:
lol, yeah, he does. I think it's the way he is smiling. And their coloration is similar-ish.
Last edited by YoruOokami on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

I like the 'cuter' look on the left better but hey maybe that's just me.
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

I agree with NoelL, I like the left one better.

Just saying.

what what? Jolly good time.
valerio

Post by valerio »

King looks WAY cuter in the left pic. Eeeeee!!! :D :D :D :D :D
Liam

Post by Liam »

Aside from the minor alterations in his ears and hair it's presumably his bright expression which made people perceive a difference.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Alex

Post by Alex »

valerio wrote:King looks WAY cuter in the left pic. Eeeeee!!! :D :D :D :D :D
I agree :). But that doesn't mean I like him... he even left Joey sad and gloomy :(.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

I never noticed before, but I think that I'm finding king very cute lately. I think the hair is to blame for that...But really, we need more Sabrina! That is the cuteness I like! She appears as many times as Daisy!
Make Pasta not war.
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Dylan wrote:I never noticed before, but I think that I'm finding king very cute lately. I think the hair is to blame for that...But really, we need more Sabrina! That is the cuteness I like! She appears as many times as Daisy!
And I really want to see a heart-piercing arc on Sasha...
See me on DeviantArt.
Jack

Post by Jack »

you know what we are all forgetting? king is a HUMAN!!!
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Jack wrote:you know what we are all forgetting? king is a HUMAN!!!
But very cute as a pet.
Make Pasta not war.
RaptorAnton

Post by RaptorAnton »

Jack wrote:you know what we are all forgetting? king is a HUMAN!!!
As human he was a terrible person. As pet he is cute, at leats...
See me on DeviantArt.
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Liam wrote:Aside from the minor alterations in his ears and hair it's presumably his bright expression which made people perceive a difference.
His snout is notably shorter and some of his features are subtly more exaggerated. Why do people find chibi anime characters 'cute'?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Consistency is difficult! Those are only subtle differences!

Anyway, I also think he looks cuter in the left panel of that comparison.
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

A lot of the "inconsistencies" are (as someone has pointed out) due to perspective.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

King doesn't look so different, with or without those spots, but as always, someone is going to point it out.
Make Pasta not war.
valerio

Post by valerio »

NoelL wrote:
Liam wrote:Aside from the minor alterations in his ears and hair it's presumably his bright expression which made people perceive a difference.
His snout is notably shorter and some of his features are subtly more exaggerated. Why do people find chibi anime characters 'cute'?
Neotenism makes our parental instincts go full drive. 'Baby features' and 'puppy features' drive us to hug, protect and care for the character who shows said features when properly portrayed (i.e. when said character is not made grotesque by them. See the final movie of the first 'Drakengard' for reference.)
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

valerio wrote:
NoelL wrote:
Neotenism makes our parental instincts go full drive. 'Baby features' and 'puppy features' drive us to hug, protect and care for the character who shows said features when properly portrayed (i.e. when said character is not made grotesque by them. See the final movie of the first 'Drakengard' for reference.)
I thought she was asking the question rhetorically
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

King is very cute in the comic. This is impossible to argue!

Let's see. There have been so many people pointing out that King's eyespots are missing...yet is hasn't been changed (and Rick can ninja edit), so one can only assume that it was done purposefully. Alternatively...
Dissension wrote:A lot of the "inconsistencies" are (as someone has pointed out) due to perspective.
One spot is blocked by King's headfur, and the other isn't seen because his eyebrow is up due to his bright smile. Then, note how King has his eyespots in the next pannel; if that first panel had a mistake, I figure Rick would have fixed it by now.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Liam

Post by Liam »

NoelL wrote:
His snout is notably shorter and some of his features are subtly more exaggerated.
The snout is most likely foreshortened due to the changed angle.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
YoruOokami

Post by YoruOokami »

Buckdida wrote:One spot is blocked by King's headfur, and the other isn't seen because his eyebrow is up due to his bright smile. Then, note how King has his eyespots in the next pannel; if that first panel had a mistake, I figure Rick would have fixed it by now.
I thought of that too, but I more assumed that Rick left it because it really isn't that big of a deal. I only pointed it out because I thought it was humorous, as I do the same kinds of things all the time, so I related to it. I kind of saw it as inconsequential. But what you said is definitely possible, the one on the visible side of his face may very well have been intended to be crumpled up in his eyebrow, and wasn't actually an oversight at all.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Buckdida wrote: Let's see. There have been so many people pointing out that King's eyespots are missing...yet is hasn't been changed (and Rick can ninja edit), so one can only assume that it was done purposefully.
OR I have been busy with not-photoshop stuff and didn't think it was important enough to fix right away
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

rickgriffin wrote:
Buckdida wrote: Let's see. There have been so many people pointing out that King's eyespots are missing...yet is hasn't been changed (and Rick can ninja edit), so one can only assume that it was done purposefully.
OR I have been busy with not-photoshop stuff and didn't think it was important enough to fix right away
NO WAY.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Foxstar wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:
NO WAY.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Jack wrote:WAI

And it didn't think it really mattered that much anyway, since i was too busy admiring King's awesome color and ears =P

and that forehead fur is to cool <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
The Game

Post by The Game »

I just realiized!!
King does have the white dots in the first panel, but they're higher cuz he's raising his eyes up!!!!
i feel observant!!!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

That is actually an edit; they were originally not there. Not that I think it was particularly important whether the white spots were visible.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
The Game

Post by The Game »

...I lost my feeling of observancy....
NoelL

Post by NoelL »

Ebly wrote: I thought she was asking the question rhetorically
Yes.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

D'awhawhaw, poor Peanut.
And grape has a pet nickname now? This is going to start a war amongst comic fans. :P
Last edited by Teh Brawler on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

oh god

this arc is going to hurt me, isn't it

also: first panel needs a knock or a doorbell or something

unless peanut is psychic

like we need another psychic dog
ImageImage
ImageImage
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sinder wrote:oh god

this arc is going to hurt me, isn't it

also: first panel needs a knock or a doorbell or something

unless peanut is psychic

like we need another psychic dog
:lol: Tarot really found her match, eh?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
2MKc

Post by 2MKc »

He forgot to colour his cute and adorable little tail.

Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

Well well...this looks fun!

Hmm...I wonder if Tarot will show up as well? If she does... "Imaginate" indeed...

Also, the alt-text: Bwahahahaha! It's always okay if it's pretend, right? X3
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack