Got a Question? Post it Here!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Got a Question? Post it Here!

Post by copper »

Do you have a question that you just can't find an answer to? Maybe you have a question that you are embarrassed or afraid to ask? Do you want to know something about what is normal somewhere else in the world? Well, go ahead and post it here! :D

I figure that this forum has enough educational diversity to be able to answer any question really, so I trhought a thread should be started for those everyday questions that never get answered. I'll go first:

Hey, how do cities deal with snow in residential areas? I mean, I know that there are snow plows for the streets, but what about the sidewalk? Does the city government take care of that or is it kinda the responsibility of homeowners to shovel the sidewalk in front of their homes?

See? Just anything that you'd like to know, just ask. And that question was real. I have seen snow once in my life, and I can't even imagine a winter wonderland. Please do answer my question.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Re: Got a Question? Post it Here!

Post by CaptainPea »

copper wrote:Hey, how do cities deal with snow in residential areas? I mean, I know that there are snow plows for the streets, but what about the sidewalk? Does the city government take care of that or is it kinda the responsibility of homeowners to shovel the sidewalk in front of their homes?
Where I live, the sidewalk is shared property between the government and the people who live on the lot. If you have a sidewalk on your lawn, you're SUPPOSED to shovel it, but nobody ever does, which makes me grumpy.
Last edited by CaptainPea on Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Medli

Post by Medli »

Well in Germany, you can get accused if someone slips in front of your house due to snow, ice, wetness or other "unusual" circumstances. So you better shovel away what is in front of your house so you don´t have to pay money if someone slips on purpose, and yes, there are people jerk enough to do that >_>
Problem is, some parts of the pavement belong to the city/community. The city does not give a muffins and cookies, so it´s a pain to walk down most of the ways because you have to stomp through knee deep snow.
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
Medli

Post by Medli »

Sorry for doubleposting, but I found a question I think ö.ö
How is it, do the students in other countries have to learn a second language too, or is that just Germany? Because we have to learn English, and for higher graduations even a 3rd one >_>
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

In the United States, we are required to learn a second language, but we get to pick which one it is.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

We have to learn english in sweden aswell, and we get to learn french, spanish or german at the age of 14-16 :p
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

It should be noted, however, that generally the second language we have to learn in the US doesn't need to get to a particularly fluent level, though many of us still do get to that point with one or more languages anyway. Spanish and French are the biggest two, considering our proximity to Quebec and Mexico.

Doesn't pretty much everyone in Sweden speak English?
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Language requirements may vary by state. Here, we weren't required to take language classes other than English, but were strongly encouraged to do so. For public school, anyway, I'm pretty sure all universities require foreign language classes; I chose two semesters of German but couldn't continue with more because of a schedule conflict.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

Medli wrote:How is it, do the students in other countries have to learn a second language too, or is that just Germany?
In Indonesia, you are required to learn English. But even then, most people in Indonesia still can't use English at all. It is a wonder how they passed their national exam.... >_> I personally know A LOT of people who can't even ask for direction to the toilet!

However, the education in Indonesia is generally bad. Even if they DID master the English lessons, it is still pretty poor compared to the other countries.

It is a different story for collage and universities though. But I can't tell you about it, since I am not there yet.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

When I was in high school, you had to take three years of a foreign language, didn't matter which. I chose latin. I have no idea what the requirement is now, if it has changed, that is.
My characters
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Friendly Reminder: Questions that may result in arguments will be deleted.

Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Uh, isn't it just on a school-by-school basis? I don't think there's any cohesive rule on learning a second language over in America. Mind, I'm not sure of your rules.

Here, we don't have to learn a second language, but in the modern world I have to admit it seems there are about as many multilingual people as there are monolingual – some places are far more multilingual, e.g. most of the european nations and quite a few of the south american nations, but some places are more monolingual, like australia or china

seems to me, at least
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Ebly wrote:Uh, isn't it just on a school-by-school basis? I don't think there's any cohesive rule on learning a second language over in America. Mind, I'm not sure of your rules.
State boards of education can establish requirements and guidelines, but there is no federally-mandated curriculum. In fact, there is wide variance between individual school districts. So yeah, pretty much, as far as public school goes. As I said about universities and colleges, though, most of them do require at least two semesters of a foreign language.

CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Ebly wrote:Uh, isn't it just on a school-by-school basis? I don't think there's any cohesive rule on learning a second language over in America. Mind, I'm not sure of your rules.
Our foreign language requirements come from the county- in fact I think most of the curriculum does.
Image Image
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Alright, I think I have a question. Seeing as apparently I'm the only registered, active Hungarian person on this forum, I'm curious what you guys know about Hungary off the top of your head? Please reply without consulting any kind of wiki or book, I wanna know what's the first thing that comes to your mind! :D
"I watch ponies now! Ponies are cool!"

Darien Shephard - SP - S-4 P-9 E-3 C-8 I-10 A-2 L-6
Dusk Roscoe - YF - S-4 P-7 E-7 C-5 I-5 A-8 L-6
Roxanne Cooper - BPS - S-4 P-6 E-4 C-7 I-8 A-7 L-6
Esquire Fox

Post by Esquire Fox »

Food...

What?
- Esquire Fox

What do you mean that's not what the signature is for?
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc »

The Broken Fox wrote:Alright, I think I have a question. Seeing as apparently I'm the only registered, active Hungarian person on this forum, I'm curious what you guys know about Hungary off the top of your head? Please reply without consulting any kind of wiki or book, I wanna know what's the first thing that comes to your mind! :D
all i know is that it is in Eurovision and it's song for 2009 was Dance With me by Zoli Adok but they did not enter in 2010 but they are returning in 2011 but they have yet to choose their song. Yes i am a Eurovision Addict.
I'm a brony now, Bronies are cool - Doctor Whooves =3
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Esquire Fox wrote:Food...

What?
Yeah, most people I know would rarely mention Hungary outside of the context of a pun... :|

I personally know pretty much nothing about Hungary.
Image Image
Medli

Post by Medli »

Hungary?
My art teacher. Also there is a meal widely spread in germany that comes from there, called "Gulasch" here, like...meat soup? It tastes awesome if you do it right 8D
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Esquire Fox wrote:Food...

What?
Our food is actually quite good... At least I like it! :D

Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

The Broken Fox wrote:I'm curious what you guys know about Hungary off the top of your head?
Sorry, but I kind of fail at Geography (also History and common knowledge), so I have absolutely zero clues about Hungary.
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

The Broken Fox wrote:I'm curious what you guys know about Hungary off the top of your head?
I know it's in central Europe and that it used to be part of Austria-Hungary.
Last edited by Blue Braixen on Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alex

Post by Alex »

I know that Budapest is the capital city. And I know that Hungary is near Bosnia xD but that's all. Also, on the territory of former Yugoslavia, Hungary is called "Mađarska".
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc »

oh i remembered, Hungary invented "hello" and washing your hands in surgery.
I'm a brony now, Bronies are cool - Doctor Whooves =3
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Once part of the dual-monarchy (or Austro-Hungarian Empire), Hungary became an independent republic following the conclusion of the First World War. With a fascist-style government, it fought on the side of the Axis Powers in the Second World War.

Hungarian cuisine and culture are world-class.

Gyula Gombos was part of the government, Admiral Nikolas Horthy ruled as regent... Soviet troops suppressed an anti-Communist rebellion in 1956.

That concludes the top-of-my-head knowledge of Hungary. Except that Hungarians are also called Magyars.

Karl

Post by Karl »

The Broken Fox wrote:Alright, I think I have a question. Seeing as apparently I'm the only registered, active Hungarian person on this forum, I'm curious what you guys know about Hungary off the top of your head? Please reply without consulting any kind of wiki or book, I wanna know what's the first thing that comes to your mind! :D

Hungary is a nation that is in the central region of Europe. The capital city is Budapest - a city that was born because of fusion of two towns, Buda and Pest. The Parliament in Budapest is very known.

Hungary has a very specific cuisine. It's very known because of hot spices. Also, Hungary produces a lot of vine.

As Dissension said, Hungary was part of Axis during WWII. However, Hungary also had a very strong opposition that was against helping Axis.

After WWII, Hungary was forced to be under influence of USSR and was on the east side of Iron Courtain. Communistic dignitaries were now the one who were ruling Hungary.

In fiftees, Hungary tried to liberate from the communistic system, but it fell down after USSR have send military forces.

Hungary became democratic in ninetees after the Iron Courtain had fallen, removing the partition on Weast and East block.

Recently Hungary had a problem with a dangerous pollution that was caused by the chemical leakage.
I'm a bookworm!
The Broken Fox

Post by The Broken Fox »

Wow! First I was a bit sad people knew so little about my country, but then you restored my faith. Thanks guys!

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Because of your comic translation I now know how to read Hungarian (though I only understand what "a", "az", and "macska" mean :lol: )
It is considered part of the Uralic language family (Finnish is part of this family).
It's also the first language I've seen to have circumfixes along with prefixes and suffixes which I think is cool :D
Oh, and Hungarian names are written in the Eastern order of Family-name Personal-name.
And apparently it is the only language to use both ő and ű (the long version of ö and ü)

That, I believe, exhausts my knowledge of the Hungarian language :ugeek:
Nitrosparxx

Post by Nitrosparxx »

Anyone care to elaborate the difference between a stromboli and a calzone? I can't seem to find one...
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Nitrosparxx wrote:Anyone care to elaborate the difference between a stromboli and a calzone? I can't seem to find one...
the shape
stromboli

calzone
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Is it possible to move the ENTIRE contents of one blog to another blog without having to cut-and-paste the posts one-by-one?
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Does anyone know of any good free antivirus programs that I can download off of the internet? I just can't afford to buy any and my current subscription is about to end.
My characters
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My friend recommended Avast! It works pretty well for me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I concur with the preceding post in its entirety. Avast!

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Thank you, Sleet and Diss. You have been helpful. I shall try it. Avast!
My characters
Aquablast

Post by Aquablast »

copper wrote:Does anyone know of any good free antivirus programs that I can download off of the internet? I just can't afford to buy any and my current subscription is about to end.
I myself use Avira AntiVir + Spybot Search and Destroy. But since I never used anything else, I can't really say if they are the best.
Anthroguy101 wrote:Is it possible to move the ENTIRE contents of one blog to another blog without having to cut-and-paste the posts one-by-one?
I am not sure how, sorry!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Tha Housedog wrote:In the United States, we are required to learn a second language, but we get to pick which one it is.
we required to take the class.

no one has ever learned a language from taking it in high school.
bwah bwah
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Psykeout wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:In the United States, we are required to learn a second language, but we get to pick which one it is.
we required to take the class.

no one has ever learned a language from taking it in high school.
Hah, you can learn it, but the real question is whether or not you retain it.
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

Does anyone here know TorqueScript?
there is no such thing as luck. if there was, there would surely be at least one person with all of it, and nothing bad would happen to them ever. but as far as I can tell, bad things happen to everyone.