Old Comic Discussion: "Imaginate" to "Imaginate, too!"

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Ebly

Re: current comic

Post by Ebly »

I drink lots of milk!

And hey, I said 'like the ferrets' and they most certainly got rich before old~
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

1/25/10

They'd want it clear, of course. If it were just translucent, they wouldn't be able to see the world whizzing by as they flew though the tubes, now would they?
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

i like where this is going

a lot
Liam

Post by Liam »

No problem, Pit, just use pressurized transport containers and... ROBOTS.

Oh, and has anybody else noticed Baldie McMoustache got a name now?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

When i think of the ferrets being shot out of tubes, i think of the transportation methods of new new york in Futurama.

Also, i find it funny how far Pit will go to fix this problem <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Liam wrote:No problem, Pit, just use pressurized transport containers and... ROBOTS.

Oh, and has anybody else noticed Baldie McMoustache got a name now?
Yeah. Having an arc of 'ungrateful relatives' when only one relative is currently present and when they have names anyway is a little silly. If you click on the tag, you'll notice all past strips with them in it have had their tags changed to include their names instead of 'ungrateful relatives'.

Actually, I kind of figure you have done that. More of a note for those that haven't.
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

Ferrit guts every where
The pressure was just too much
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Must comment on comic, but everything's been said! What to say! WHAT TO SAY!

Erm....

Argh.....

Blarghle.........

RED MUTTONCHOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhh, that's better.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It might actually be fun to have the translucent tubes. Imagine rushing through the various colors.

While translucency would not allow you to clearly observe the outside world, you would probably be able to determine pretty accurately what you were passing.

Also, you should not rule out the possibility that the translucent tubes are also transparent.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sketcherofstuff

I think that claustriphobia would have to be taken into acount.
Here Comes The Fuzz
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Hmm. Well, I do not know many claustrophobic ferrets; they tend to get everywhere. I guess it is possible that one or more of the Milton Ferrets may have issues with enclosed spaces, though. Hilarity would ensue if Pit were the one so afflicted. *giggles*

Jack

Post by Jack »

woo! pneumatic tubes are awesome!!
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Sketcherofstuff wrote:Ferrit guts every where
The pressure was just too much
Kindly watch what you post. Gore's pushing it.
Sketcherofstuff

Sorry
Here Comes The Fuzz
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

Teh Brawler wrote:RED MUTTONCHOPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I USED TO HAVE THEM!!!! I MISS MY MUTTON CHOPS!!!

in other news, this current strip is currently good.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
cooljoe224

Post by cooljoe224 »

For a comic creator you sure know alot about pneumatic tubing Rick
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

cooljoe224 wrote:For a comic creator you sure know alot about pneumatic tubing Rick
Of course! Any self-respecting, well-educated, gentlemanly furret would.
D.Z.

Post by D.Z. »

Y'know, as adorable as these ferrets are, is anyone else having a little trouble... LIKING them?

They're ungodly-rich, feeble-minded playboys blowing untold amounts of money on frivolous absurdities, while the arc's "villain" is trying to avoid foreclosing on an orphanage.

It's like a kiddie cartoon written upside down, and while I get that that's partially the point, besides helping out Miles, these ferrets have really not shown much devotion to Milton's cause, even if Keene and Pit may have paid lip service to it.

Just saying. :p
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Actually, he has already foreclosed on orphanages; he wants the money so that he can have money.

Ebly

Post by Ebly »

D.Z. wrote:Y'know, as adorable as these ferrets are, is anyone else having a little trouble... LIKING them?

They're ungodly-rich, feeble-minded playboys blowing untold amounts of money on frivolous absurdities, while the arc's "villain" is trying to avoid foreclosing on an orphanage.

It's like a kiddie cartoon written upside down, and while I get that that's partially the point, besides helping out Miles, these ferrets have really not shown much devotion to Milton's cause, even if Keene and Pit may have paid lip service to it.

How kind. :P

Personally, I like them because they are "ungodly-rich, feeble-minded playboys". The whole thing about them, to me, is that they are ridiculously unrealistic enough for me to not resent them or their attitudes, but they are still cute and fun enough for me to like them based purely on their cuteness and fun-ness.
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

These ferrets will do anything to say they got it. Interestingly enough, them pneumatic tubes didn't hurt their pocket. 8-)

first one to get the reference gets...well, nothing, but you know
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

D.Z. wrote:Y'know, as adorable as these ferrets are, is anyone else having a little trouble... LIKING them?

Mouse Hunt syndrome.

No matter how nasty the main characters are, since they're the clear underdogs, you feel throughout the entire experience that the mouse is worse for not just leaving them alone.

I don't think they were supposed to be the underdogs, since it's two grown men (and an exterminator) versus a mouse. You're supposed to sympathize with the mouse by default, like in the Tom and Jerry cartoons where Jerry beats the crap out of Tom without provocation. But if you pick up that not only does the mouse have it better off than the poor saps he's picking on, he also has plot armor, then it ends up being an hour and a half of two people being bullied with no recourse.

Of course, I haven't attempted to paint the Milton ferrets in a completely pure and unblemished light--you might just feel that because they're cute and get everything they want. Good-guys-by-default is just one of the many things I consider toying with.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

rickgriffin wrote:Mouse Hunt syndrome.

No matter how nasty the main characters are, since they're the clear underdogs, you feel throughout the entire experience that the mouse is worse for not just leaving them alone.

I don't think they were supposed to be the underdogs, since it's two grown men (and an exterminator) versus a mouse. You're supposed to sympathize with the mouse by default, like in the Tom and Jerry cartoons where Jerry beats the crap out of Tom without provocation. But if you pick up that not only does the mouse have it better off than the poor saps he's picking on, he also has plot armor, then it ends up being an hour and a half of two people being bullied with no recourse.

Of course, I haven't attempted to paint the Milton ferrets in a completely pure and unblemished light--you might just feel that because they're cute and get everything they want. Good-guys-by-default is just one of the many things I consider toying with.
i walked out of that movie when i was a little kid cause i thought it was terrible. i never sympathized with the mouse because of exactly what you are saying.

also, i think rick may be making a statement that the Milton ferrets are not living up to their owner's expectations, and that statement is that Milton could have been wrong about how humans and animals are equal. the ferrets are spending their money on fantastical possessions without using the money for anything pragmatic or charitable... then again, most people who inherit a large sum of money do the same.

if anyone here has done studies on the psychology of lottery winners, i'm sure they can add a lot more to this than i can.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Liam

Post by Liam »

As long as they don't cause a global financial crisis I'm good with them.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Sketcherofstuff

I almost barfed when I watched Mouse Hunt when I was little. I've despised morbid humor ever since.

And the ferrits are still a bit likeable...
Here Comes The Fuzz
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Strange, I don't find the ferrets even remotely unlikeable. Hmm.

While the ferrets are certainly not living up to the expectations of Mr. Milton, they also are not actively causing anyone harm. They are using their resources to enjoy life. Squandering said resources? Maybe. Being irresponsible? Yeah, kinda. However, they are not actually doing anything bad (unless you are the kind of person who considers being rich "bad"). The ferrets are stereotypically nouveau riche, though I'm not entirely certain the term applies in this case (since they inherited their wealth from their "dad").

Sketcherofstuff

I just see them as lovable, though a bit sly, goofballs.
Okay, lovable was a bad choice of words.
Here Comes The Fuzz
D.Z.

Post by D.Z. »

I don't consider wealth bad; I consider unconstrained self-indulgence bad. Jackets made out of diamonds, for instance. Squandering without limit ("check of any size") while so much of the world can't even get a spoonful of rice. Especially because the ferrets can in absolutely no way be said to have even earned their inheritance. They're helping Miles, it seems, out of little more than nostalgia and maudlin intoxication--their true happiness seems to always appear in frivolous luxuries.

By no means did I mean this as a dig at you, Rick--I'm pretty sure the Grape/Max thing proved you're not always going to play by the established rules or by expectations. So I actually rather enjoy the ambiguous likability of the characters. I was more wondering that what I saw as rather ugly in our fuzzy playboys was not being talked about by others in the comments, or here.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Well, we have not seen the ferrets' other investments. It is entirely possible that they support several charities.

It feels like we're kind of getting into the "responsibilities of the wealthy." Let's say that my family is what some would call "disgustingly rich." I spend my money on things that make me happy. Am I obligated to avoid frivolous purchases? No, but I try to because buying silly things runs down the cash reserves real fast. Maybe I also donate money and resources to a homeless shelter. Again, this is not (and should not be) obligatory. It's more of a 'feel-good' thing, I guess.

What one does with their financial resources is part of their character; it might be a bit hasty to assume there is not some Milton Money going toward good causes.

Also, the ferrets are just being ferrets. Silly and frivolous (and soda intoxication) come with the territory.

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

very sneaky there, Rick. making it look like he'll be in trouble THIS comic...

*bookmarks the comic* mwahahaha!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

.....I don't get the joke in this one.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Liam

Post by Liam »

...and I don't get the alt-text.

Well, probably the joke is that the addressed worst case scenario arises not until the next strip.
Chron

Post by Chron »

Maybe the joke is that whenever someone says "Nothing could go wrong!" Something does go wrong, except in this comic when nothing goes wrong so he kinda surprised us and... stuff... yeah, I don't know. Next comic will be funnier! :D (because two comics where nothing goes wrong would be just silly.)
*WARNING* This product contains A.D.H.D. and is therefore liable to suddenly lose interest in what he's saying, stare into space for unknown amounts of time, and point at random objects shouting, "Look, a chicken!" when there is no chicken.
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

"Nothing can go wrong!"

Oh hey, look, someone just opened the door to the room where I was stealing a document worth some-billion amount of dollars!

How I was able to deduct this:

Lighting: Coming from a single direction, casting away dark spots. Likely, he was in a dark room, and someone opened the door. Thomas came in through the window using the rope.

Whistle: -of innocence. The "nope, I didn't do anything, ignore me" whistle.

Nothing can go wrong: Except getting caught red handed.
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Jack

Post by Jack »

People! i got one thing to say to you!

Ninja Suit! WooT!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Liam wrote:...and I don't get the alt-text.

Well, probably the joke is that the addressed worst case scenario arises not until the next strip.
The alt-text refers to somebody not wanting to draw a van. Thomas was considerate enough to remove his beard on the side of the road so that a van would not be necessary.

No joke this arc, just 'sometimes the bad guys win.' *laughs*

Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Dissension wrote:
Liam wrote:...and I don't get the alt-text.

The alt-text refers to somebody not wanting to draw a van. Thomas was considerate enough to remove his beard on the side of the road so that a van would not be necessary.

No joke this arc, just 'sometimes the bad guys win.' *laughs*

The bad guys always screw up...no exceptions.
Make Pasta not war.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I believe this is not the case...

Anyway, what are your feelings on the outcome? Will Thomas and Celia find the "treasure," or has Thomas been discovered (as Buckdida proposed)? Will there be a lesson, or (even better) blood? Is speculation pointless at this point? Only time will tell!

Liam

Post by Liam »

Buckdida wrote:"Nothing can go wrong!"

Oh hey, look, someone just opened the door to the room where I was stealing a document worth some-billion amount of dollars!

How I was able to deduct this:

Lighting: Coming from a single direction, casting away dark spots. Likely, he was in a dark room, and someone opened the door. Thomas came in through the window using the rope.

Whistle: -of innocence. The "nope, I didn't do anything, ignore me" whistle.

Nothing can go wrong: Except getting caught red handed.

In this sense:

Jack

Post by Jack »

is that thing from a real comic? if so, which one? TELL ME!!@