74%
No
26%

Total votes: 149

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: POLL: So... Who here's a furry?

Post by Sleet »

It's much better that we're being pedantic than if we were being creepy again.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MilesKingford

Re: What's the point of this element?

Post by MilesKingford »

Teh Brawler wrote: The way I see it, there are three forms of art: art that exhibits human emotion, art that exhibits human sense, and art that exhibits human experience. These fit pretty well into their respective forms of media: music, "high" art (painting, drawing, etc.), and writing. Yes, I know there's a bit of overlap, but for the most part, it applies. Music deals mostly with the emotions people face, pictures and film (I use the term solely to mean time-based media, not actual movies) focus on the senses (though this is usually limited to sight and hearing, maybe touch if you have a good imagination), and writing deals with experiences that humans have. When you begin to combine the two, say, writing and film, you combine experience and senses to make a movie.
I would say that any work(s) would have to be more than this to be truely qualified as being art, I would say that anything made by one's own creativity which embodies a meaning or purpose would be considered art.
Teh Brawler

Re: What's the point of this element?

Post by Teh Brawler »

MilesKingford wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote: The way I see it, there are three forms of art: art that exhibits human emotion, art that exhibits human sense, and art that exhibits human experience. These fit pretty well into their respective forms of media: music, "high" art (painting, drawing, etc.), and writing. Yes, I know there's a bit of overlap, but for the most part, it applies. Music deals mostly with the emotions people face, pictures and film (I use the term solely to mean time-based media, not actual movies) focus on the senses (though this is usually limited to sight and hearing, maybe touch if you have a good imagination), and writing deals with experiences that humans have. When you begin to combine the two, say, writing and film, you combine experience and senses to make a movie.
I would say that any work(s) would have to be more than this to be truely qualified as being art, I would say that anything made by one's own creativity which embodies a meaning or purpose would be considered art.
Well, yes, it goes deeper than that. I was just giving a starting point to include writing as a form of art.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

There is no single, all-encompassing definition of what it means to be furry. If you believe you are one, you are; otherwise, you're not. Nobody has said "You have to be a furry to like anthros," but all furs do, so it's understandable for a fur to make that misconception if you say "anthropomorphic animals are neat!" Nobody will bite your head off if you correct it, especially if you do so in a friendly, one-on-one manner.

Additionally, let's try to stay in the realm of courtesy. *shrugs* Hostility over this is silly. x3

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Dissension wrote:There is no single, all-encompassing definition of what it means to be furry. If you believe you are one, you are; otherwise, you're not. Nobody has said "You have to be a furry to like anthros," but all furs do, so it's understandable for a fur to make that misconception if you say "anthropomorphic animals are neat!" Nobody will bite your head off if you correct it, especially if you do so in a friendly, one-on-one manner.

Additionally, let's try to stay in the realm of courtesy. *shrugs* Hostility over this is silly. x3
But Ah wuznt truyin too bei hawstile :<
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Dissension wrote:There is no single, all-encompassing definition of what it means to be furry. If you believe you are one, you are; otherwise, you're not. Nobody has said "You have to be a furry to like anthros," but all furs do, so it's understandable for a fur to make that misconception if you say "anthropomorphic animals are neat!" Nobody will bite your head off if you correct it, especially if you do so in a friendly, one-on-one manner.

Brawler, don't even joke by talking like that.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Private Elliot wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote:

Brawler, don't even joke by talking like that.
What exactly are you going to do about it?
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Shoot him with my M93 Raffica, Durr.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Lest anyone forget, I'm a furry.

Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Lest anyone forget, I'm not.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you keep talking like that I'm going to start getting hostile. :3
Dissension wrote:There is no single, all-encompassing definition of what it means to be furry. If you believe you are one, you are; otherwise, you're not.
This is generally the case, but occasionally there will be a person who is so obviously a furry but they won't admit it. Generally if you say you are or aren't, that's that, but on occasion someone's just in denial or misinformed.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Would borderline furries be considered furry enough to be a furry?

Added: How can someone be in denial of being a furry?
Last edited by MilesKingford on Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm not sure. That's kind of the whole definition of "borderline."

Personally I'd say most people who call themselves that are probably furries, though. Often they'll just be reluctant to adopt the label.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I used to identify myself as a borderline furry, but now I think Im just a regular furry. (If there is such a thing)
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Private Elliot wrote:Lest anyone forget, I'm not.
Elliot is lying through his teeth.
Just sayin'.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was also in the same boat as Dubiousity back in the day. When I said I was a borderline furry what I really meant was "I'm a furry but haven't yet come to terms with it."
MilesKingford wrote:Added: How can someone be in denial of being a furry?
Let's say I loved watching cartoons with talking animals, drew them all the time, hung out with a bunch of furries online and even occasionally wore a fursuit. But I said I wasn't a furry. I would call that being a furry in denial. Having furry traits doesn't automatically make you a furry, but past a certain point it kind of starts working that way. Everything that looks like a duck isn't automatically a duck, but when it starts walking like one, smelling like one and quacking like one...
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Sleet wrote:
MilesKingford wrote:Added: How can someone be in denial of being a furry?
Let's say I loved watching cartoons with talking animals, drew them all the time, hung out with a bunch of furries online and even occasionally wore a fursuit. But I said I wasn't a furry. I would call that being a furry in denial. Having furry traits doesn't automatically make you a furry, but past a certain point it kind of starts working that way. Everything that looks like a duck isn't automatically a duck, but when it starts walking like one, smelling like one and quacking like one...
Huh, I see what you mean.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Tha Housedog wrote:
Just sayin'.
/me not amused.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I believe you, Elliot.

EDIT: Hey, I've been to your town for a marching band competition once!
Last edited by Sleet on Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Let's not insult or upset anyone over this guys.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Well, I don't classify my self as a furry, but I see where ThaHousedog is getting it from.

I am actually planning of making a webcomic involving people. Which I would most likely put on my website (which is linked in my profile)

But topic-wise, I am not a furry, but i don't hate them. (If I did hate them, would i be on this site?)
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't know. Maybe you hate furries but acknowledge that hatred is irrational, so you wanted to join a community with lots of non-crazy furries that still has a significant non-furry population to help you get over that hate.

Or maybe you just like the comic and don't hate furries.
Private Elliot

Post by Private Elliot »

Sleet wrote:I don't know. Maybe you hate furries but acknowledge that hatred is irrational, so you wanted to join a community with lots of non-crazy furries that still has a significant non-furry population to help you get over that hate.

Or maybe you just like the comic and don't hate furries.
2nd thing.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I figured. :3
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I'll stand by what he said before, if he hated furries why would he be here?
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Private Elliot wrote:
Tha Housedog wrote:
Just sayin'.
/me not amused.
/me was jus' kidding ... :cry:
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Dubiousity wrote:I used to identify myself as a borderline furry, but now I think Im just a regular furry. (If there is such a thing)
i was borderline when i joined, and now im not, and untill recently, i had forgotten that i wasn't a full furry to begin with
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I was a furry before and I still was a furry. I actually considered myself a furry before I even joined a furry community. Because I didn't know too many furries, I actually thought I was rare for being a non-pervert who was a furry.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I was kinda like that, except I knew a couple of furries in "real" life (including my then-best friend).

Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

I don't know any furries in real life.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Dubiousity wrote:I don't know any furries in real life.
Here's what you do. Go to your google search engine, and type in the name of the state/country you live in. Then type in "furries."* You'll most likely find a link to a website for a group of furries that live near you.

*Example: "Georgia Furries"
Frankenstein Shelley
S-7; P- 8; E- 6; C- 4; I- 7; A- 5; L- 5
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Well, I'm not gonna actively search people out or anything...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

"Hey, I like cartoon animals. I found out on the internet that you like cartoon animals. We should go get coffee!"

"...Who are you and how did you get into my house?!"
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Actually, they host gatherings. (Atleast the Georgia furries do. But I've never been to a meeting, just watching the site on occasion.)

You just need to find out when and where a gathering is, maybe send in some note if it's required (read the rules.) and then see your fellow furries in person.
Sleet wrote:"Hey, I like cartoon animals. I found out on the internet that you like cartoon animals. We should go get coffee!"

"...Who are you and how did you get into my house?!"
I snuck in through the window. I know a weasel in Kansas that gave me some pointers.
Last edited by Wolf on Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frankenstein Shelley
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

WikiFur wrote:The Northwest Arkansas Regional Furry Association (NARFA) is a group of furries who live in Northern Arkansas. Many used to live in a single apartment complex in Fayetteville, Arkansas, USA, colloquially called the NARFA Cube, but have since moved.

"Everyone in my building is a furry."

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That would get weird, fast.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

There are about 50 of them. Could you imagine being a non-fur and basically living at a small furry convention? *laughs hysterically*

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm frightened enough as is and I'm not even a non-furry. Even if they're the kinds of furries we have here (the cool kind) that'd be frightening. It's even worse considering that they very easily might not be.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Dissension wrote:There are about 50 of them. Could you imagine being a non-fur and basically living at a small furry convention? *laughs hysterically*
I would be freaked out, probably.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Dissension wrote:There are about 50 of them. Could you imagine being a non-fur and basically living at a small furry convention? *laughs hysterically*
Well... The pizza delivery guy would probably get used to it really fast. Chances are a gaint two legged wolf will get pretty routine after the first delivery.
Frankenstein Shelley