Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 149

TheDXM

Re: POLL: So... Who here's a furry?

Post by TheDXM »

Sleet wrote: I mean it's perfectly reasonable for someone to think "oh, that's all a furry is? I guess that would include me then" and decide they are a furry, but I can't really think of a scenario where someone would think "oh wait, actually I don't like cartoon animals." I dunno. Maybe I'm not thinking of all the possibilities.
I think it's an aspect of one's social sense of belonging.

For example, I happen to enjoy Star Trek, but I rarely refer to myself as a "Trekkie" of any sort.
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Ebly wrote:
MilesKingford wrote:I would almost be totally isolated in the UK
oh man there are so many furries in the uk, i can't begin to tell you
I had heard of rumours of there being an active furry subculture in Britain but I have never seen any furries at all in Britain, not even on TV or on the internet and I only stumbled on the furry fandom by accident just about two month ago. So there can only be just a thousand in the country at the most in a population of 60 million people. Besides in research data collected on the furry fandom there is only a miniscule 3% (about 3000 on average) of furries in Europe alone, I doubt a significant proportion of that number would be British. This is what I meant by being isolated.

As for the subject on the furries and non-furries; everyone would have different opinions on what qualifies as being furry, simply liking fictional humanoid animals is not enough.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Well keep in mind the population is much smaller than the population over here, so the density is not going to that much lower. It's also not like we're some giant mass of furries over here in the US. I've never met a furry in real life before (except one of whom I have suspicions). In the grand scheme of things, furries are rare everywhere. Except in cities where and when conventions are going on, of course.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

The US clearly has more furries than anywhere else (from the data mentioned earlier about 70% of furries were from the US) and there is on average about a hundred thousand of furries in the world (the data is a few years old so this number would be higher now), even if there is not that much difference in density there is a difference in chances to associate with good furries as it is relatively easy to find the bad furries than the are good furries. Therefore, as a good borderline furry, I would still be isolated.
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

I actually worry how my furry status will effect me later in life. If I keep with the same online alias Iunno how likely it is that future employers will google me up, or find my deviant art page if my artwork comes into play, and how likely it is that they might not be so keen on furries in the office. D: Eeeeh.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Just don't use your real name online.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Also, the chances are you'll only be either be teased or praised, I think it's against the law to discriminate a citizen because of their cultural taste.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think that law, if it exists at all, only would refer to giving jobs.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

well, theres always a subconcious discrimination.
bwah bwah
Hypergenesis

Post by Hypergenesis »

Great, I just spread bad news again. X(

EDIT: Sorry.
What do you mean "watch my words"? It's my tongue that I sharpened.
Wolf

Post by Wolf »

Sleet wrote:I think that law, if it exists at all, only would refer to giving jobs.
You're correct Sleet. That law only refers to jobs.

I'm a wiz in law.
Frankenstein Shelley
S-7; P- 8; E- 6; C- 4; I- 7; A- 5; L- 5
Haru Totetsu
Location: Universe A-1.7, Section C, Solar System: Delta, Earth, United Kingdom, England, Cheshire

Post by Haru Totetsu »

i think people are negelcting the fact that its a furry fandom which is likely to cause it to have many subcultures. The lighter side being those that simply prefer animal, or animal-like characters to human ones while the (most commonly seen as) the darkest side of the fandom would be those that have an...attraction to animals, if you catch my drift. I'd be more out spoken but its not permitted on this forum, were above things like that.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm pretty sure it gets a lot darker than that. But yeah... No more of that discussion.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Ten years from now the federal laws will include furries as an official religion.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

that would be amazing

wait, who would we praise?
Last edited by mariomarc on Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

mariomarc wrote:that would be amazing
What? No! That's a horrible idea. Jeez, we just like cartoon animals. And some of us already have religions.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Sleet wrote:
What? No! That's a horrible idea. Jeez, we just like cartoon animals. And some of us already have religions.
amazing doesn't necessarily mean good
also i don't have a religion
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

wait, who would we praise?
griffin, paulson, hopkins, and the like.
bwah bwah
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

who?
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

anthromorphic webcomic author/artists.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

You'd think it'd be people like Walt Disney or something. They're more prominent creators of furry media than webcomic artists.

No offense, Rick.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

walt disney would stop it if furrism became a religion.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Because he would hate them? ^.^

Also, God help us if it actually did become one. Literally. X3
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:Because he would hate them? ^.^

Also, God help us if it actually did become one. Literally. X3
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animalism_(philosophy)
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

relgion makes me uncomfortable. can we stop?
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hey, you were talking about it.
SomebodyYouKnow wrote:walt disney would stop it if furrism became a religion.
But yeah, we don't want anyone to get offended for their religion or anything, so it's probably best to avoid the topic whenever possible. Plus this is a thread about furries.
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

we didn't stop talking furries
Haru Totetsu
Location: Universe A-1.7, Section C, Solar System: Delta, Earth, United Kingdom, England, Cheshire

Post by Haru Totetsu »

Liam wrote:Ten years from now the federal laws will include furries as an official religion.
Furries don't really need to be made into a religion since there are already deities that are technically furries, such as the Egyptian Gods, Anubis and Ra to name a few.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

ima furry! and lovin it!

i only recently remembered that when i intoduced myself, i was only a kinda-furry. you guys be convertin me! :3

and no more religion! please!
bwah bwah
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Anyone bringing religion up after this post gets warned.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:I actually worry how my furry status will effect me later in life. If I keep with the same online alias Iunno how likely it is that future employers will google me up, or find my deviant art page if my artwork comes into play, and how likely it is that they might not be so keen on furries in the office. D: Eeeeh.
Just don't tell anyone you don't trust, and companies can't go snooping into your private life like that (the most they could see are your criminal records if you have any).
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

[quote="Sleet"]Just don't use your real name online.[/quote]
More meant my online alias as "Pencil"

I'm a pretty web based person, and that's very unlikely to stop any time soon. Online's pretty much the one place I can be where I'm not all that afraid to be who I am, y'know. Not so much talking about the anonymity, there's plenty of detail about me on my DA, includin' pictures, so its not the hiding behind a smoke screen part, its the finding people who aren't jerks part that attracts me to the web.

It's not so much I don't want people to know I'm furry, its that I don't want that knowledge to actually effect me. Same reason I don't come out as bi. I'd be all like "Hey I'm X" if I knew people would be like "oh thats cool" but I know for a fact people around here would avoid or bug me cos of it.

It's easy to keep friends and family out of your web life (as long as your parents are computer illiterate and you don't link your friends to anything you have a userpage on that you don't want them to find), but if my job is somehow art related, they're probably going to be able to find my artwork online, and like I said, I have a lot of info on my da page that wouldn't be great for them to find if they were nosy.

EDIT: Potential Im overthinkin' this. I overthink things.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

MilesKingford wrote:
Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:I actually worry how my furry status will effect me later in life. If I keep with the same online alias Iunno how likely it is that future employers will google me up, or find my deviant art page if my artwork comes into play, and how likely it is that they might not be so keen on furries in the office. D: Eeeeh.
Just don't tell anyone you don't trust, and companies can't go snooping into your private life like that (the most they could see are your criminal records if you have any).
My teachers always try to scare us by telling us that our future employers can and will google us go digging through our facebook pages and such.

Seeing that I don't have any online connections other than this and another respectable web comic, I'm not really worried.
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Science H. Logic, Pencil! 50 is way too small. Ebly does 85.

My mom does that too. She tells me about how I need to be careful what I put on Facebook because medical schools will see it. Considering how I engage in somewhere along the lines of zero objectionable activities, I'm not sure what exactly she's warning me about.
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

Sleet wrote:Science H. Logic, Pencil! 50 is way too small. Ebly does 85.

My mom does that too. She tells me about how I need to be careful what I put on Facebook because medical schools will see it. Considering how I engage in somewhere along the lines of zero objectionable activities, I'm not sure what exactly she's warning me about.
They just hate the fact that you HAVE a life!
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Having a life is one thing. Putting out massive amounts of information -about- your life is something else. That's why you are careful about what you post on Facebook and other social sites.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Yeah, big brother has nothing on Facebook. Why covertly take peoples' information when so many give it up willingly?
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Pecan
Game Master

Post by Pecan »

rickgriffin wrote:Yeah, big brother has nothing on Facebook. Why covertly take peoples' information when so many give it up willingly?
Sadly, because some people think it's a thrill. A very twisted thrill, mind you, but a thrill none the less.

As my first post in this thread, I'm willing to say I'm a furry. I'll just leave it at that.
Paige Turner - The Stargazing Polyglot! - S4 P7 E6 C4 I10 A4 L7 (SP)
Will Turner - The Timid Survivor! - S5 P4 E8 C3 I6 A10 L6 (SP)
Timothy Cotton - The Overenthusiastic Soccer Star S6 P4 E8 C5 I5 A9 L5 (Zoo)
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

It makes you wonder what is wrong with those people.
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

You should see how many CCTV cameras there are in Britain, ever since the James Bulger murderers were caught by the use of cameras we use them everywhere, and I mean everywhere!