Whats Your favorite super power?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Alex

Re: Whats Your favorite super power?

Post by Alex »

It varies from person to person, some people think of it as two different elements, like me, and others think like you.

And the rest thinks we're geeks....
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The ability to override others' minds could be interesting, I guess...

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Dissension wrote:The ability to override others' minds could be interesting, I guess...
That's called being a good politician. :lol:
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Dissension wrote:The ability to override others' minds could be interesting, I guess...
That's called being a good politician. :lol:
hehe...
bwah bwah
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

SomebodyYouKnow wrote:
Ebly wrote:The whole creating a universe to your exact specifications thing should be obvious, since you'd have to make absolutely everything to your exact specifications or else significant parts of the universe would simply not exist, plus you would have to control it at all time to maintain your exact specifications, plus it raises philosophical debate much like immortality or any of the omni- abilities.
yeah the whole philisophical thing got me. but the first part isn't so. if i wanted t create a universe, say, that had the best ice cream, (silly reason, not the point) id make it very small. all the atoms are contantly vibrating at a constant temperature due to shermflanigin, a force in this universe that keeps all the atoms vibrating at the same speed. this means nothing gets colder or warmer than what i set it to. (all air molecules be this temperature, icecream molecules be this, so on) that means no need for sun except light. artificial sun that gives off light but not heat. basicly, the point is that if i want something, i create a small or repeating universe catered to that want. for more complex things, i take or universe and "copy, paste, edit," so to speak. to start from scatch, i go to the universe where time and boredom don't exist and spend eternities creating.
the philisophical thing, well, problems created by the mind require only the mind to resolve
your turn, ebly. :D
I think you're misinterpreting what I mean. You would have to specify every last detail. Making a sweeping excuse like 'shermflanigin' does not exempt you from the fact that you would have to create the physics that make your 'shermflanigin' work, which would be vastly different to our universe, so you couldn't simply port it over. You would have to explain every last physical element of your universe for anything to come of it at all, otherwise it would not be able to exist at all (which is what I mean by saying "significant parts of the universe would simply not exist". Even if you just hit copy and paste, any differences you make would cause significant, extreme changes that you would have to understand in order to use effectively. It's waxing philosophical, but any change you make at all could quite possibly result in nothing but a paradox, which is entirely useless for you. If your intent is to create paradoxical universes that do not exist because they are self-defeating... well, then enjoy having a useless array of non-existence to choose from, I guess.

It's like programming with an infinite amount of functions that need to be defined, because every function is a combination of lower functions, which are made up by combinations of lower functions, which are made up by combinations of lower functions . . .

Besides. The philosophical problems are for your mind to resolve, not mine. I'm not the one that wants to create universes in my basement. :P
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

Omnipotence.

*sits down*
Zander wrote:Love
If not available, this would be a preferable replacement.
there is no such thing as luck. if there was, there would surely be at least one person with all of it, and nothing bad would happen to them ever. but as far as I can tell, bad things happen to everyone.
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Ohh, I remembered another one. High jump. I would love to be able to do that if I could cushion my fall as well.
NightFox

Post by NightFox »

Does anyone even know what omnipotence means?

:P
there is no such thing as luck. if there was, there would surely be at least one person with all of it, and nothing bad would happen to them ever. but as far as I can tell, bad things happen to everyone.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Omni- = all
Potence = capability

So it means the ability to do anything. Another term for "omnipotent" would be "all-capable." Compare "omniscient," or "all-knowing."
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Ebly wrote:
SomebodyYouKnow wrote:
Ebly wrote:The whole creating a universe to your exact specifications thing should be obvious, since you'd have to make absolutely everything to your exact specifications or else significant parts of the universe would simply not exist, plus you would have to control it at all time to maintain your exact specifications, plus it raises philosophical debate much like immortality or any of the omni- abilities.
yeah the whole philisophical thing got me. but the first part isn't so. if i wanted t create a universe, say, that had the best ice cream, (silly reason, not the point) id make it very small. all the atoms are contantly vibrating at a constant temperature due to shermflanigin, a force in this universe that keeps all the atoms vibrating at the same speed. this means nothing gets colder or warmer than what i set it to. (all air molecules be this temperature, icecream molecules be this, so on) that means no need for sun except light. artificial sun that gives off light but not heat. basicly, the point is that if i want something, i create a small or repeating universe catered to that want. for more complex things, i take or universe and "copy, paste, edit," so to speak. to start from scatch, i go to the universe where time and boredom don't exist and spend eternities creating.
the philisophical thing, well, problems created by the mind require only the mind to resolve
your turn, ebly. :D
I think you're misinterpreting what I mean. You would have to specify every last detail. Making a sweeping excuse like 'shermflanigin' does not exempt you from the fact that you would have to create the physics that make your 'shermflanigin' work, which would be vastly different to our universe, so you couldn't simply port it over. You would have to explain every last physical element of your universe for anything to come of it at all, otherwise it would not be able to exist at all (which is what I mean by saying "significant parts of the universe would simply not exist". Even if you just hit copy and paste, any differences you make would cause significant, extreme changes that you would have to understand in order to use effectively. It's waxing philosophical, but any change you make at all could quite possibly result in nothing but a paradox, which is entirely useless for you. If your intent is to create paradoxical universes that do not exist because they are self-defeating... well, then enjoy having a useless array of non-existence to choose from, I guess.

It's like programming with an infinite amount of functions that need to be defined, because every function is a combination of lower functions, which are made up by combinations of lower functions, which are made up by combinations of lower functions . . .

Besides. The philosophical problems are for your mind to resolve, not mine. I'm not the one that wants to create universes in my basement. :P
hehe... this is fun. your very intellegent and rational and make excellent points. (or your really good at mking yourself seam that way, which is an important skill to have) you remind me of me at a younger age, which is not meant to be condesinding. just the way you make your points, your "style," if you will, reminds me of me.

on the topic of the topic, your thinking to rationally. your appling the rules of our universe to mine. if we strip this universe of all its forces and all its rules and all is atoms and waves and deminsions ad time and vectors we can see how simple a universe could be and how complicated ours is. basicly, this point is un arguable because debates are based on facts and facts are based on reality and this reality is as moldable as clay in my hands.

also, what i meant was that if my mind got screwed up, i would be able to fix it with my own will.

i told you i was cheating. :P
bwah bwah
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

SomebodyYouKnow wrote:hehe... this is fun. your very intellegent and rational and make excellent points. (or your really good at mking yourself seam that way, which is an important skill to have) you remind me of me at a younger age, which is not meant to be condesinding. just the way you make your points, your "style," if you will, reminds me of me.

on the topic of the topic, your thinking to rationally. your appling the rules of our universe to mine. if we strip this universe of all its forces and all its rules and all is atoms and waves and deminsions ad time and vectors we can see how simple a universe could be and how complicated ours is. basicly, this point is un arguable because debates are based on facts and facts are based on reality and this reality is as moldable as clay in my hands.

also, what i meant was that if my mind got screwed up, i would be able to fix it with my own will.

Haha, you're fourteen and saying I remind you of a younger you. It's condescending whether you like it or not. But don't worry - you'll understand that when you're older.

Following "debates are based on facts and facts are based on reality and this reality is ... clay" it's painfully obvious that you're dragging this exactly into the philosophy you were initially so quick to dismiss. Our universe works the way it does because it has this combination of factors. We have no way of knowing what it would be if anything was different. Even within our life, we have no idea how different things could have been if the only difference was that you didn't take a cookie from the jar that one time. A universe is a dynamical system, so chaos theory can be similarly applied to it. If we "strip this universe of all its [things] we can see how simple a universe could be" - well, no. We don't. We can't see anything at all, because it's imperceptible to us.

Now since you want to bring this uncertainty into it, you can no less argue any of mine. Your reality may be able to be molded but it still needs to be molded. You can't escape that. And that in itself is what will cause ruination. You will have to create it no matter how far you want to go with your philosophizing.

Speaking of, that's all this has been on both our sides. You see that, don't you? And you realise that my 'philosophical concerns' point basically covers all this? And that this is exactly what is wrong with your desired power?

I smell derailment, by the way.

NightFox wrote:Omnipotence.

*sits down*
Zander wrote:Love
If not available, this would be a preferable replacement.
Philosophically debatable, as I mentioned earlier along with everything else related to the omni- prefix, as well as immortality.

I didn't ruin love earlier because it's not a superpower, even if it might seem like one to you lonely, lonely people
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Ebly wrote:But don't worry - you'll understand that when you're older.
Ouch, I get that from my mom all the time.
Ebly wrote:I didn't ruin love earlier because it's not a superpower, even if it might seem like one to you lonely, lonely people
You're just mean today. :(
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

WHAT IS LOVE?

EBLY DON'T HURT ME

DON'T HURT ME

NO MORE :C
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:WHAT IS LOVE?

EBLY DON'T HURT ME

DON'T HURT ME

QUICK SOMEONE MAKE AN ANIMATED .gif
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Zander

Post by Zander »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Flamboyant-Pencil wrote:WHAT IS LOVE?

EBLY DON'T HURT ME

DON'T HURT ME

QUICK SOMEONE MAKE AN ANIMATED .gif

My favorite super power is the power to power soup :>
Fursona! :3

Don't judge each day by the harvest you reap but by the seeds that you plant.
-Robert Louis Stevenson
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

That's hilarious!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Ebly wrote:
SomebodyYouKnow wrote:hehe... this is fun. your very intellegent and rational and make excellent points. (or your really good at mking yourself seam that way, which is an important skill to have) you remind me of me at a younger age, which is not meant to be condesinding. just the way you make your points, your "style," if you will, reminds me of me.

Haha, you're fourteen and saying I remind you of a younger you. It's condescending whether you like it or not. But don't worry - you'll understand that when you're older.

Following "debates are based on facts and facts are based on reality and this reality is ... clay" it's painfully obvious that you're dragging this exactly into the philosophy you were initially so quick to dismiss. Our universe works the way it does because it has this combination of factors. We have no way of knowing what it would be if anything was different. Even within our life, we have no idea how different things could have been if the only difference was that you didn't take a cookie from the jar that one time. A universe is a dynamical system, so chaos theory can be similarly applied to it. If we "strip this universe of all its [things] we can see how simple a universe could be" - well, no. We don't. We can't see anything at all, because it's imperceptible to us.

Now since you want to bring this uncertainty into it, you can no less argue any of mine. Your reality may be able to be molded but it still needs to be molded. You can't escape that. And that in itself is what will cause ruination. You will have to create it no matter how far you want to go with your philosophizing.

Speaking of, that's all this has been on both our sides. You see that, don't you? And you realise that my 'philosophical concerns' point basically covers all this? And that this is exactly what is wrong with your desired power?

I smell derailment, by the way.
what i mean is that if you took what i was like a few years ago, and then tried to guess what that person would've been like when he grew up, it'd be you. but ive changed since then, for whatever reason, and if someone tried to guess what id be like when i grow up now, they wouldn't say the same thing.

...im not even sure i know what the shitaki mushrooms im talkin about (yeah, i said that)

on the subject of the power, we could probabley go on about this forever, so lets agree to disagree.

edit: aww... it counts http://www.google.com/images?q=shitaki+ ... 91&bih=430 as a swear?
Last edited by Psykeout on Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wow, this is getting kind of intense for a discussion about super powers.

Super hacking would be a neat power. Like the power to do what hackers do in the movies, such as access any database from any computer without using the mouse or spacebar.
Zander wrote:Image
Why'd Grape let Peanut sit up front and not Max?
Flamboyant-Pencil

Post by Flamboyant-Pencil »

Personally if I had invisibility I'd be set.

Like ultra invisibility, nothin' can see me. That kinda thing.
deviantART! 8D

AWESOME AS CHARGED
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

If you were invisible, your retinae wouldn't work and you would be blind.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

if i were to pick a realistic power, then telechenises.
bwah bwah
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

SomebodyYouKnow wrote:what i mean is that if you took what i was like a few years ago, and then tried to guess what that person would've been like when he grew up, it'd be you. but ive changed since then, for whatever reason, and if someone tried to guess what id be like when i grow up now, they wouldn't say the same thing.

edit: aww... it counts http://www.google.com/images?q=****+mus ... 91&bih=430 as a swear?
Heehee, don't worry, I was being silly and making a mean joke, especially the "you'll understand when you're older" - that wasn't serious, I promise.

Yeah, mostly because of the first four letters. I have to admit, far more people take it as a euphemistic way of subverting censors than mention it in actual discussions on mushroom varieties.

Sleet: I am endlessly happy you have joined me in my self-imposed obligation to ruin every superpower here
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

i know.

also, i might start too.
bwah bwah
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Then it would lose its attraction for a lot of people. = P "Your Favorite Superpower Debunked" is less interesting, I daresay, than the current topic.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I'm actually digging the idea of a "Have Sleet, Ebly and SomebodyYouKnow Crush Your Dreams" thread.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

awwww, shucks... <:)

in related news,
post #200!
we now return you to your regularly scheduled randomness
bwah bwah
Medli

Post by Medli »

My super powers would be all around magic, too. Including fireballs and aquablasts, but also including telepathy and telecineticitity...ty...tel..The power to move things by mind.

Corrupt THAT, Ebly! And please ignore the fact that I am able to break our physical rules this way too, because the fire for the fireball HAS to come from somewhere, doesn´t it?:P
<+Vaddie> ... WHY AM I A GIRL ON FIRE WEARING 30 PAIRS OF PANTS ALL OF A SUDDEN
* +SickDynar is like the fountain of youth, except with drool instead of youth.
Aah, I LOVE quotes :3
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

the salem witch trials.
if you had magic, you would become an outcast from scociety, feared by the general public, persecuted by the churches and government.
Last edited by Psykeout on Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bwah bwah
Medli

Post by Medli »

Well THAT wouldn´t really be a problem for me, I´ve had all of that often enough and know how to handle such things.
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

Well let's take a stab at this shall we? (I'm kinda glad I haven't looked through here to see all the crushed dreams) If I had a power it would be to be able to visit parallel universes and take (a limited mass) between universes.

I eagerly await the destruction of this thought.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

@ medli: good fo you.
@zeekgenateer: we busted that one up quite recently, acctually.
bwah bwah
zeekgenateer

Post by zeekgenateer »

I said visit not create. It's been hypothesized in physics (see Multiverse (yes its a wiki link, I'm not going to look for an accredited journal on it)), and of course is the favorite topic of science fiction. I would not have to define the universe as I am only visiting it. Though it would probably be important for me to know if I could survive there before visiting.
* My Steam Account * My DA (writing) *
"They say misery loves company, ain't there something else we can share. Are you still there? Do you still care? That's all I really need to know." - Kansas - Need to Know
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

you'd have to have the knowledge of each universe, for one.
the greater problem, though is that you'd not only need to know what universe you were going to, but also when and where. a few miles of and you could be inside a rock. a few seconds latter and the planet could be several miles away, leaving you in deep space. this would be nearly impossible as space and time are both relative entities. also, it'd be impossible to calculate the reprocussions of your poping in and out of the universes. you may cause the end of the world by not being in your universe when you were suposed to.

how was that ebly?
bwah bwah
Medli

Post by Medli »

Yay my dream stays unpopped :3
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Alex wrote:It varies from person to person, some people think of it as two different elements, like me, and others think like you.

And the rest thinks we're geeks....
the very earliest chemists and alchemists would say they are two.
bwah bwah
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

andmedli, i busted your bubble. yu can't just say "oh im used to people trying to kill me" and be done with it.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Water and ice aren't even elements anyway.
SomebodyYouKnow wrote:the salem witch trials.
if you had magic, you would become an outcast from scociety, feared by the general public, persecuted by the churches and government.
The Salem witch trials had nothing to do with magic. It was just the result of a poor legal system and superstition. Plus I doubt people would immediately blame the devil anymore if someone suddenly knew magic. Most people.

Plus it's not really "churches and government." In Salem they were pretty much just one entity. So it's more like "the government" which had absorbed the church. Actually, it wasn't even the government. It was the stand-in government; when the real governor came back, things more or less came back to normal.
zeekgenateer wrote:I said visit not create. It's been hypothesized in physics (see Multiverse (yes its a wiki link, I'm not going to look for an accredited journal on it)), and of course is the favorite topic of science fiction. I would not have to define the universe as I am only visiting it. Though it would probably be important for me to know if I could survive there before visiting.
The multiverse hypothesis by nature does not allow traveling between alternate universes.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

people do crazy stuff. and i would bet everything i have that the curch would be against that.
also, i know what the trials were! it just seemed an like an apt reference.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

SomebodyYouKnow wrote:people do crazy stuff. and i would bet everything i have that the curch would be against that.
also, i know what the trials were! it just seemed an like an apt reference.
There is no longer a monolithic governing body called "the church." I'm pretty sure only the crazy ones would be against it if an otherwise normal, unoffensive nice guy had magical powers.

I'll tell you who would be against it: people who study related fields. For instance, a thermophysicist would be really angry to find out someone can shoot fire out of their hands, because that means his or her entire career is a sham. I know I'd be mad if that happened. But then I'd be happy because we can create perpetual motion and cause all sorts of good for the world.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

are you gonna help us ruin these or not?
bwah bwah